Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-04-17, 11:13 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Get ready - Swenson's is coming to Columbus area

This popular Akron based drive-in restaurant is planning to open a franchise, possibly in Dublin. Well known in northeast Ohio at numerous locations, it's famous for its cheeseburgers and hamburgers. Folks who move away most always make a visit whenever they get back in town.

When the movie Trainwreck premiered in Akron, LeBron took Bill Hader, Judd Apatow and Amy Shumer to Swenson's after the movie. Word is Jimmy Buffett has an order delivered when he's in town performing at Blossom Music Center.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...a.html?ana=twt

My son who lives in Worthington says the Swenson's food truck has been at the Dublin Irishfest in recent years.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-17, 12:18 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
And Cane's in being built in Canton. Wouldn't be shocked to see them in Akron and Cleveland soon.
Old 12-05-17, 12:40 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
And Cane's in being built in Canton. Wouldn't be shocked to see them in Akron and Cleveland soon.
Not familiar with Cane's. What is it known for?
Old 12-05-17, 01:08 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Chicken fingers
Old 12-05-17, 06:57 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Will definitely be making a stop whenever I visit Columbus. The only downside to not dating 2 of my exes is I have no reason to go to Akron anymore.
Old 12-05-17, 07:32 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Swensons>SWO
Old 12-05-17, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Also coming to the Heights neighborhood of CLE: http://www.cleveland.com/university-...eights_26.html

This is just down the street from Legacy Village and in the heart of the Cleveland Orthodox Jewish Community, I wonder if they will serve kosher burgers and allow walk up service on the Sabbath?
Old 12-05-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Had Cane's a couple weeks ago. Excellent chicken.
Old 12-05-17, 09:59 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontetheCarlo View Post
Had Cane's a couple weeks ago. Excellent chicken.
Canes is okay. Good dipping sauce for those fingers, but not much variety.

Never heard of Swenson's before, look forward to checking them out.

I must admit, my heart skipped a beat when I first saw the OP. I thought it said Swensen's was returning to Columbus. Was all set to order me a Frisco sandwhich and a sticky chewy chocolate sundae, watch the train make its way around the place, and try to make my feet dangle under the chair like a kid.
Old 12-05-17, 10:08 AM
All Region

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Canes is okay. Good dipping sauce for those fingers, but not much variety on the menu.

Never heard of Swenson's before, look forward to checking them out.

I must admit, my heart skipped a beat when I first saw the OP. I thought it said Swensen's was returning to Columbus. Was all set to order me a Frisco sandwhich and a sticky chewy chocolate sundae, watch the train make its way around the place, and try to make my feet dangle under the chair like a kid.
Not supposed to be variety at Canes. They specialize in chicken. You go there for 1 thing and only 1 thing, Chicken!
Old 12-05-17, 10:45 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Not supposed to be variety at Canes. They specialize in chicken. You go there for 1 thing and only 1 thing, Chicken!
LOL. That's why I don't go more often. It is good chicken, though.
Old 12-05-17, 11:01 AM
All Region

Quote:
LOL. That's why I don't go more often. It is good chicken, though.
I'm actually sick of it. We got one in my hometown and the kids want to eat there every friggan night. They do make good chicken, texas toast, and fries. Not big on the sauce or the slaw.
Old 12-05-17, 11:07 AM
All American

Quote:
I'm actually sick of it. We got one in my hometown and the kids want to eat there every friggan night. They do make good chicken, texas toast, and fries. Not big on the sauce or the slaw.
I hear ya.

How does Swenson's compare to the other chains, flavor-wise, or what makes them taste better than someone else? Or is just the thrill of a girl on rollerskates taking your order?

Was looking at their menu, reminded me of Carl's Townhouse in Chillicothe. I look forward to sampling their wares.
Old 12-05-17, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I hear ya.

How does Swenson's compare to the other chains, flavor-wise, or what makes them taste better than someone else? Or is just the thrill of a girl on rollerskates taking your order?

Was looking at their menu, reminded me of Carl's Townhouse in Chillicothe. I look forward to sampling their wares.
It's a drive-in, but I don't recall the Swenson's servers being on skates. They were always on foot. However, my Swenson's experiences only date back as far as the late '80s when my dad was working on the west side of Akron. The original location was a few blocks down the street from his workplace.

There is a location about 6 miles from my house, but I haven't eaten there in 20 years. It never enters my mind to go there since I have other good burger options closer to home. My college buddies from out of state couldn't get enough of it when an Akron area kid took them there. 1 of them demanded the kid bring him back a Galley Boy every time he went home.
Old 12-05-17, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Chicken fingers
Chicken Fingers?

That's not motivating me to go there.
Old 12-05-17, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Chicken Fingers?

They are good and worth it. I thought the same thing but once I went I have wanted to go back when given the chance. Obviously not someplace you go to everyday since that is all they have.
Old 12-05-17, 01:32 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Chicken Fingers?

It didn't motivate me either but I went and it is pretty good for fast food. Canes>chic fila
Old 12-05-17, 01:32 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
They are good and worth it. I thought the same thing but once I went I have wanted to go back when given the chance. Obviously not someplace you go to everyday since that is all they have.
Yeah I thought it sounded stupid.

Really the good thing about Canes is it is cooked to order. Always get hot food. Wish more places were like that
Old 12-05-17, 01:41 PM
All Ohio

ts1227 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ts1227
Get ready - Swenson's is coming to Columbus area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
It's a drive-in, but I don't recall the Swenson's servers being on skates. They were always on foot. However, my Swenson's experiences only date back as far as the late '80s when my dad was working on the west side of Akron. The original location was a few blocks down the street from his workplace.

There is a location about 6 miles from my house, but I haven't eaten there in 20 years. It never enters my mind to go there since I have other good burger options closer to home. My college buddies from out of state couldn't get enough of it when an Akron area kid took them there. 1 of them demanded the kid bring him back a Galley Boy every time he went home.

They’re on foot, but have to run from point to point. I always get it to go, but they still have the trays that connect to your window if you want to eat there
Old 12-05-17, 02:00 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Yeah I thought it sounded stupid.

Really the good thing about Canes is it is cooked to order. Always get hot food. Wish more places were like that
Yea. You really have to be careful with that first bite. Their sweet tea is also very good.
Old 12-05-17, 02:00 PM
All Region

If you ever get to Lima go to Kewpee Burger. Cheeseburger, fries, chocolate shake and finish with a slice of pie. Other than the creepy naked baby on the roof the place rocks. I think only the downtown site has the naked baby. Can buy whole pies. Miss that place.
Old 12-05-17, 06:44 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you ever get to Lima go to Kewpee Burger. Cheeseburger, fries, chocolate shake and finish with a slice of pie. Other than the creepy naked baby on the roof the place rocks. I think only the downtown site has the naked baby. Can buy whole pies. Miss that place.
Wendy's Dave Thomas would approve.
Old 12-06-17, 12:32 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I hear ya.

The kids don't skate - they RUN!! out to your car as soon as your headlights go on.

It was Forbes #1 burger a few years ago. They actually put a little brown sugar in them. Not a huge fan. The 1/2 pounder plus is OK, but I'd rather have a Five Guys. Fried mushrooms or onion rings, and a shake. My wife and one of my sons both "must have" the strawberry/banana shake. Too sweet for me, but their chocolate shakes are good.
Old 12-06-17, 08:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I hear ya.

As mentioned above they add some brown sugar to the ground beef as well as they use sweeter Hawaiian style buns. Finally their signature Galley Boy burger has two sauces on it which gives it a more complex flavor. You may think this is too much but it is actually a decent burger, especially if you have late night munchies. Closest thing I can think of because of the sauce is the Manner's Big Boy.
Old 12-06-17, 09:23 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
The burgers are definitely the go-to, one of my favorite burgers. There is a subtle sweet taste to their burgers but it isn't overpowering/still tastes like a burger should.

Their fries aren't that great IMO. They have some other fried stuff that I prefer over the fries.
Old 12-06-17, 10:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
The burgers are definitely the go-to, one of my favorite burgers. There is a subtle sweet taste to their burgers but it isn't overpowering/still tastes like a burger should.

Their fries aren't that great IMO. They have some other fried stuff that I prefer over the fries.
Agree on the fries, onion rings are better. They do have great milk shakes though and also like the added touch of an olive stuck on the top of their burgers. Another point on a Swenson's burger, they do not pass the look test at all. Everyone I have gotten looks rough but the flavor is solid.

They are also not too bad eaten a little later or even cold. I have a friend from Akron that takes home a Galley Boy for breakfast the next day. Also was at a wedding where a plate was put out for late night snacks, was gobbled up in a matter of minutes even though they were made hours before.
Old 12-07-17, 03:35 AM
All World

I agree with the post above that the fries aren't that great, but their O rings and fried mushrooms are top notch.

I attended a wedding reception last Summer that had the Swenson's food truck for dinner. (also had a Mexican truck)

Lastly, looking at Auggie's picture is making me hungry for a cheeseburger, pickles only.
Old 12-07-17, 07:45 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
I'm surprised Swensons hasn't tried to change their fries.
Old 12-09-17, 03:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I'm surprised Swensons hasn't tried to change their fries.
Maybe they haven't heard the complaints.
Old 12-09-17, 11:37 PM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
I worked there for a few years while in college. The fries sucks. They are huge on keeping everything traditional dating back to the roots of the original. They buy frozen crappy fries and cook them kinda soft which I never understood. You can order them crispy though.

Other fried options are much better and the Galley Boy is still the best.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: