Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-05-17, 12:23 PM
Freshman

armchairqb99 is on a distinguished road
Olentangy Berlin

Any Olentangy people have any thoughts on who the new coach of the new Olentangy Berlin program will be?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-17, 01:30 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Not an olentangy person here, but John Magistro's name wouldn't surprise me at all...
Old 12-05-17, 05:10 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Not an olentangy person here, but John Magistro's name wouldn't surprise me at all...
Why would he retire from a really great program that HE BUILT, to start over again at his age???
I know they were down last yr but they were pretty strong there for about a 6-7 yr run.
Old 12-06-17, 05:02 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Magistro will coach again , but I think a from scratch build is a bit much at this stage for him , I would agree .

Berlin will cut into Olentangy's talent base , so it will be interesting to see if Solis sticks around as it almost certainly will cause at least a somewhat downtick in the potential win column ? Think Darby after Bradley opened may be?

Coffman took a dip in some sports after Jerome opened no doubt about it, took them a few years to rebuild a bit, some sports have never gotten back to where they were as the talent being split down the middle, some years one school will have more or it tilts towards them but that remains to this day .

Football? I would say 2004 2005 took a bit of a dip from 2002 2003 levels but the really strong 2008 grad class propped them back up quickly .

Now Tangy will get some Liberty kids going forward , and the parents are none too happy about that . Saw on the news there was a 'Meeting " of the minds and I know a few folks over there and the Powell faction doesn't want their kids over at Tangy .

Yes a bit of a snob factor going on as Powell sees themselves above the other parts of the district quite frankly . You have to know Solis is not liking some of his talent base drifting away to Berlin .
Old 12-06-17, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Why Berlin as the school name?
Old 12-06-17, 08:31 AM
Voice of Reason

Volnelk is on a distinguished road
Road it's on.
Old 12-06-17, 10:06 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
More like township it is in.

Olentangy schools named after:
Berlin Township
Orange Township
Liberty Township
Old 12-06-17, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
More like township it is in.

Olentangy schools named after:
Berlin Township
Orange Township
Liberty Township
Road it's on, township it's in, and as a nod to one of the original schools that consolidated to form the Olentangy Local SD. The "Bear" nickname is also a nod to the original Berlin HS.

https://www.olentangy.k12.oh.us/site...upMonth=0&Tag=

Having stated that, if they ever build a 5th HS (their master plan includes a 5th), it would probably also be named for the township in which it's located.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 12-06-17 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-06-17, 10:35 AM
Retired

Olentangy Concord?
Old 12-06-17, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Olentangy Concord?
Either Concord (W end of the district) or Berkshire (NE end of the district).
Old 12-06-17, 12:42 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Looks like Concord would be a better fit for expansion based on name alone. Basically all of Berkshire township except a small sliver (ironically where the MS is located) is in the Big Walnut district.

And re: Magistro, I felt like a 2-3 year start-up and then handing off the program would be ideal for him. I think one of the things he mentioned at Central was that he felt he may have been there too long and was holding back some of his assistants. He has grandchildren in OLSD, as well.

Lastly, wonder if Powell would ever consider forming their own school district. From what I've read, as a city, that's within their right.
Old 12-06-17, 08:55 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Magistro will coach again , but I think a from scratch build is a bit much at this stage for him , I would agree .

Berlin will cut into Olentangy's talent base , so it will be interesting to see if Solis sticks around as it almost certainly will cause at least a somewhat downtick in the potential win column ? Think Darby after Bradley opened may be?

Coffman took a dip in some sports after Jerome opened no doubt about it, took them a few years to rebuild a bit, some sports have never gotten back to where they were as the talent being split down the middle, some years one school will have more or it tilts towards them but that remains to this day .

Football? I would say 2004 2005 took a bit of a dip from 2002 2003 levels but the really strong 2008 grad class propped them back up quickly .

Now Tangy will get some Liberty kids going forward , and the parents are none too happy about that . Saw on the news there was a 'Meeting " of the minds and I know a few folks over there and the Powell faction doesn't want their kids over at Tangy .

Yes a bit of a snob factor going on as Powell sees themselves above the other parts of the district quite frankly . You have to know Solis is not liking some of his talent base drifting away to Berlin .
Interesting, informative post stiv...

Olentangy took the bigger hit after Orange was opened, much like Darby took the bigger hit after Bradley was opened. Both football programs (Tangy and Darby) recovered pretty quickly and to their credit, both Tangy and Darby have won All Sports trophies since the opening of Orange and Bradley, respectively.

No doubt about it though, Liberty is an All Sports powerhouse. Seems to be the best (for now) in Central Ohio. Coffman is right up there, and will recapture the top spot, if Liberty slips at all.

I'm just curious to see how this plays out, because there is a bit of overall shuffling.
Old 12-06-17, 09:22 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
No question Liberty has become the top dog all around sports model . Strong in so many sports boys and girls . Coffman and a few thers are close, better in some areas but overall ? NO

Liberty has grown numbers wise steadily , gotten some excellent coaches and their programs have taken off, , football has broken out as well , I was really hoping for and it coud have happened potentially a Liberty Coffman football R-3 final , Coffman fatal flaw was closing out games, even in a couple wins they had trouble .

Coffman still 8-0 over them in football , but last two years they didn't play, no question Liberty capable of winning the last two seasons , likely ? I won't go that far but they are rising no question
Old 12-06-17, 09:32 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
No question Liberty has become the top dog all around sports model . Strong in so many sports boys and girls . Coffman and a few thers are close, better in some areas but overall ? NO

Liberty has grown numbers wise steadily , gotten some excellent coaches and their programs have taken off, , football has broken out as well , I was really hoping for and it coud have happened potentially a Liberty Coffman football R-3 final , Coffman fatal flaw was closing out games, even in a couple wins they had trouble .

Coffman still 8-0 over them in football , but last two years they didn't play, no question Liberty capable of winning the last two seasons , likely ? I won't go that far but they are rising no question
You and I agree that Liberty has the #1 athletic department. This redistricting effort is a little more complicated than some others with all the shifting. I'm really intrigued to see how it all pans out. I know that all 4 will end up being strong, but interested to see which school gets the early leg up on their district brethren.
Old 12-11-17, 01:24 PM
Freshman

DCap113 is on a distinguished road
Anyone got anything on this? Technically they've been on the clock the longest even if the job didn't officially post until late in the season. Somewhat surprised to have heard nothing. IMO this is the best opening out right now. Shouldn't take very long to build, especially pulling from the talent pools of 3 other playoff teams.
Old 12-11-17, 01:25 PM
Retired

No Seniors first season, I assume?
Old 12-11-17, 01:31 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCap113 View Post
Anyone got anything on this? Technically they've been on the clock the longest even if the job didn't officially post until late in the season. Somewhat surprised to have heard nothing. IMO this is the best opening out right now. Shouldn't take very long to build, especially pulling from the talent pools of 3 other playoff teams.
Final interviews were finished last week for the candidates, both inter- and intra-district, for jobs at the school.

So like, the English teachers that will teach there already know if they’ll be teaching there or not.

Maybe this helps.

edit: after this posted, I texted a friend who works in OLSD. He said there hasn't been any news yet as to who they're getting for coach.

Last edited by The Dock; 12-11-17 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 01:44 PM
Freshman

DCap113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Final interviews were finished last week for the candidates, both inter- and intra-district, for jobs at the school.
This makes a lot of sense. Especially politically, people may be up in arms if you hire a football coach prior to hiring a single teacher.