Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-02-17, 05:26 PM
Varsity

CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
Reports of VASJ's death are grossly exaggerated

Love him or hate him, Babe is a great coach. Period.

The culture is a winning culture.

The school has above average academics at the minimum.

Great discipline in the program. Wonder why kids want to leave VASJ in this AAU atmosphere where "I need my shine"?

The school draws numerous athletes due to their outstanding tradition.

All this Euclid talk..... please. Joes blew them out of the gym. I will say what people don't want to say. It's apples and oranges to compare the two programs.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-17, 05:57 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Absolutely
Old 12-03-17, 11:06 AM
All American

The Vikings have outstanding young talent and by seasons end should be pretty damn good. The next few years will be exciting in Viking Village.
Old 12-03-17, 11:16 AM
All American

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Have they ever determined who is in control of fund raising dollars?
Old 12-03-17, 11:47 AM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA Fan View Post
Love him or hate him, Babe is a great coach. Period.

The culture is a winning culture.

The school has above average academics at the minimum.

Great discipline in the program. Wonder why kids want to leave VASJ in this AAU atmosphere where "I need my shine"?

The school draws numerous athletes due to their outstanding tradition.

All this Euclid talk..... please. Joes blew them out of the gym. I will say what people don't want to say. It's apples and oranges to compare the two programs.
Amen!
Old 12-03-17, 11:53 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Have they ever determined who is in control of fund raising dollars?
The school is, by way of the AD. You can write a check to the school and designate assingment of those funds to any sports program and those funds are used to offset expenses (uniforms, travel, equipment like football helmets, team meals, etc) in each of the respective programs.
Old 12-03-17, 01:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
The school is, by way of the AD. You can write a check to the school and designate assingment of those funds to any sports program and those funds are used to offset expenses (uniforms, travel, equipment like football helmets, team meals, etc) in each of the respective programs.
Good policy to designate funds. Is your coach ok with this so there aren't future issues?
Old 12-03-17, 01:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Good policy to designate funds. Is your coach ok with this so there aren't future issues?
That's the policy for at least the last 10 years or so. The reason it was implemented was to improve donations to the school. There are some people who want to donate to the general fund (light bill, gas bill, repairs, etc), others that want to donate to scholarship funds, others that want to donate to a special capital improvement (ie new windows, locker rooms, football field, etc), and others that want to makesure their donation gets to a specific sports team (especially less high profile sports teams (ie golf, girls soccer, swimming, etc). The thought is, these teams need to be financially supported anyway, why not make it easier for people to donate the cause they are passionate in.
Old 12-03-17, 02:25 PM
All American

Again, good policy. Was asking because wasn't the direction of funding the cause of your coach to take a leave of absence during the season?
Old 12-03-17, 02:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Again, good policy. Was asking because wasn't the direction of funding the cause of your coach to take a leave of absence during the season?
I see, no, that didn't have anything to do with it. But that rumor was put out there by misinformed individuals. Actually the basketball program is one of the best funded because of their continued successes. Right or wrong, people want to be around a winner. To top it off, we are one of 2 schools in Ohio to be Under Armor sponsored. The kids got uniforms, shoes, and bags. That saves significant dollars off the AD's budget. Makes up for football paying Euclid $2500 a game for stadium rental.
Old 12-03-17, 03:18 PM
All American

Maul - did you go to the Joe's game Friday and if so what did you think ?
Old 12-03-17, 06:06 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
I'm a little confused by the title to this thread. Yes, VASJ lost a great player to transfer. But did anyone really think VASJ wasn't going to be one of the best teams in the State!?!
Old 12-03-17, 06:40 PM
All American

They actually did. Joe's lost a ton to graduation and 7 kids transferred- including Gaffney. To top it off several key members of the coaching staff left by either retiring or to take larger jobs elsewhere. It was encouraging to see the quality of the young talent and thank God Higgins is there still to lead them and more importantly to teach the young players what it means to be a Viking.
Old 12-03-17, 07:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Maul - did you go to the Joe's game Friday and if so what did you think ?
I was one of the 1500+ there. You were spot on in both of your analysis. Nice job BBALL.
Old 12-06-17, 12:04 PM
All Ohio

GCP441 is on a distinguished road
ē No. 13 Villa Angela-St. Joseph at No. 16 Cleveland Heights, Thursday: Two of the areaís top point guards, VASJís Jerry Higgins and Cleveland Heightsí Yahel Hill, meet up in this one.

I'm expecting a full house for this one at Heights brand new gym,I'm looking forward to the one on one battle between Jerry Higgins and Yahel Hill.
Old 12-07-17, 09:07 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Halftime:

Cleveland Heights 50, VASJ 42
Old 12-07-17, 11:22 PM
All Ohio

GCP441 is on a distinguished road
Cleveland Heights 94
VASJ 81

Yahel Hill scored 30 to lead all scorers for Heights. And Tyreke Smith had

Higgins scored 22 for VASJ
Old 12-08-17, 07:07 AM
All American

Very physical game and that played into the hands of Heights. I do not think at all that it was a case of VASJ looking ahead to SVSM tonight. The refs allowed Smith to play football in the lane - but the refs did not decide the game. The big problem was the two quick fouls on Higgins. That cannot happen if this team is to win big games. The team goes as Higgins goes and they are noticeably different in his absence. These are the kind of games Joe's plays to make them ready for the postseason. The young Vikings need to get tougher, take care of the ball better and be able to play at a high level in a hostile environment. The game last night will help with all of those. Teams better beat Joe's now because these freshman are special and by years end this team will without a doubt have a serious chance to play in Columbus. Heights is a solid team and their new gym is very nice. They are a upper level D1 team - but not elite. They will go as far as Hill and Smith can take them IMO district semi finals.
Old 12-08-17, 08:26 AM
Freshman

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
Might be a rough one tonight against St. V, but at least they match up better size wise. This will tell how close they are to the elite of D2, and St. V is young too.
Old 12-08-17, 02:42 PM
Freshman

bball440 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You will not get an answer from Mug on why the coach took a leave.
I will take this question for him. Mug is right, it had nothing to do with fund raising. The coach quit. Threw a tantrum to the AD, Principal and President. While he has been brought back as basketball coach he was never reconsidered for his position within the school. That bridge has been torched, with Babe applying for several positions within the school since.
The above is fact. What I can not confirm is that Babe is still telling people he will go coach at another school if he is not reinstated into his old position. You have to wonder if this internal strife is what caused all those players/coaches to leave. I know 216 and mug will tell you it's all just a coincidence.
Old 12-10-17, 10:51 AM
Junior Varsity

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball440 View Post
I will take this question for him. Mug is right, it had nothing to do with fund raising. The coach quit. Threw a tantrum to the AD, Principal and President. While he has been brought back as basketball coach he was never reconsidered for his position within the school. That bridge has been torched, with Babe applying for several positions within the school since.
The above is fact. What I can not confirm is that Babe is still telling people he will go coach at another school if he is not reinstated into his old position. You have to wonder if this internal strife is what caused all those players/coaches to leave. I know 216 and mug will tell you it's all just a coincidence.

Are you telling me that a proven coach, leader, and West Point graduate isnít qualified to work in his own alma mater? I canít believe that. Iíd love to hear Mug or 216ís take on that as well. I will say that after reading some quotes Iím not sure Iíd be publicizing the fact that 7 student-athletes transfered out the way Coach Kwasniak has. Athletics in a private school has always been a way to help paying customers walk through the doors.
Old 12-10-17, 04:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball440 View Post
Yes Kwasniak did resign from the advancement position but it was over lack of administrative support at that time on the fund raising side, that is a fact.

He had a known leave of absence from basketball of which he did return and then led the Vikings to a state runner up in 2016 and state championship in 2017, that is also a fact.

The statement that he will leave the school if not reinstated to the advancement position is a bold faced lie. An advancement person was hired and Kwasniak is happily coaching away, so that is complete nonsense. Please feel free to contact the President or Principle if you don't believe me.

In regards to coaches that left, one of the coaches stopped coaching after his son graduated in 2017. He remains close friends with Kwas. Another coach, Coach Ward, is a young man who, because of his success at VASJ, was able to get his first head coaching opportunity at Orange. The 3rd coach is also a young man who had another opportunity though I am not sure where he is now.

In regards to players that left, there were various reasons which were chronicalled in another string. Viking fans and alumni wish them well because at the end of the day, they are just kids. Their departure though did lead to opportunities for the other players including the 3 talented freshmen, who now have a chance to showcase their talents against Varsity competition.
Old 12-10-17, 05:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
Are you telling me that a proven coach, leader, and West Point graduate isnít qualified to work in his own alma mater? I canít believe that. Iíd love to hear Mug or 216ís take on that as well. I will say that after reading some quotes Iím not sure Iíd be publicizing the fact that 7 student-athletes transfered out the way Coach Kwasniak has. Athletics in a private school has always been a way to help paying customers walk through the doors.
Maybe one of the guys you met at the local pub will fill you in. Good luck to the Brush Arcs this year.
Old 12-10-17, 06:34 PM
All American

Well said MugnMaul. Coach Kwas admitted to the people who count the players, coaches and parents of the 2016 team. He admitted he made a mistake (without going into detail), said he deserved punishment and said he was sorry. Good enough for us. The last time I checked our faith taught us to forgive. I guess the people still hashing this up never learned that valuable trait at Joe's. The other coach who left joined Coach Ward at Orange.

As for the transfers some left to play with TJ at Euclid. One tried to return from what I heard but could not afford it (I'm told). Gaffney left mainly because of his Father and the word is he is not happy already because he is the third option in the offense at Garfield. Did anybody think the Johnson kid was not going to be option #1 and next year there will be two Johnsons. Kids no longer want to wait their turn. Joe's has talent and you need to be patient and wait your turn. Kids and parents think the grass is greener at schools like CCC, Garfield and Euclid - so be it. Joe's is not for everyone. It's tough acedemic wise and just as tough basketball wise. I don't know all the details but there was a fracture when Babe left and came back. Some supporters wanted TJ and some wanted Babe. When Babe was retained the losing side made it a point to do what they could to show Babe in a bad way. That is not supporting the school and the program. If they feel unattached it's because THEY removed themselves by their actions and thoughts.