Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-30-17, 11:21 PM
Varsity

THE OWNER is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Not sure why you want Benson and the Village to fail but it doesn't matter.

Restaurants were packed, hotels are near capacity, media coverage of the facility has been positive - lots of good things happening for those not resistant to change. I'm happy for the local businesses.
Maybe they can pay.the contractors that worked on the stadium with some of the money they made tonight.
Old 11-30-17, 11:25 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
So how was the parking and how was the bus from the fairgrounds if anybody did that?
Old 11-30-17, 11:39 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
So how was the parking and how was the bus from the fairgrounds if anybody did that?
Ok...quick each way honestly. Only negatives are they make you walk to other side of McKinley for buses, fairgrounds are muddy, and finding car at night can be an adventure

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-17, 09:45 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
It was all horrible. There were barely 100 people here at kickoff. Not one person is having a good time
Old 12-02-17, 07:13 AM
Varsity

stripedwarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't believe that a true fan of a team who has made it to the championship would not drive an extra hour or so to see their team.
So, then the teams and fans from NEO won't complain about having to go to Columbus for a game in the future, right?

In actuality, it took me an extra 2 hours to get to my seat. Last year, I was in my seat about 2 hours after I left home. This year, I left at 5:30 am, and got to my seat a little after 9:30. So talk of just driving an extra hour is simply not true(the whole story) for people from the western part of the state.

Last edited by stripedwarrior; 12-02-17 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-02-17, 07:33 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Far from desirable on Friday. Before the game, no real problems getting into the fairgrounds and parked. Getting on a bus, was not a problem either. After that, downhill.
If a person is getting shuttled from one place to another, most people would expect to be dropped off near the entrance, not 1/4 mile away.
Why did the gates not open when they started busing people over? Buses started running shortly after 8, but the gates didn't open until 9?
After the game, it was near chaos. No organization for buses picking people up. Part of our car load got separated, because they said that the bus was full, even after we told them that there were still empty seats in the back.
When our bus got back to the fairgrounds, we had to wait before we could unload. Waited over 5-10 minutes for other buses to unload, just so we could pull up about 20 feet. We could have unloaded right away, and been halfway to our car in that time frame.
Then, the field that we are parked in became so muddy, that there were a few cars that got stuck in the mud.
They could not come up with a better place for the families to meet up with the team afterwards? By the buses, where both schools were parked? In the immortal words of Cris Carter, "C'mon man".

Also, why was it such a great idea to have the finals there this year, when they really were not ready for it. Not only were they not ready, they were hosting a peewee league tournament, and had all of us parking at the same place, and riding the same buses?

Columbus is a much better option. Most everyone that I have talked to either preferred Columbus, or is from NEO. The former players that I have talked to have said the same thing. They would rather play in the Shoe. They could care less about the Hall of Fame. It does not hold the allure of Ohio Stadium.
Old 12-02-17, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Just more proof that the OHSAA do not care about the fans or even what the players prefer.
Old 12-02-17, 08:10 AM
All Yappi

I always preferred stark over Columbus. However, if they can't figure this out, they need to go back to Columbus. The organization wasn't even a comparison. Embarrassing actually. The fairgrounds idea has been so bad that I actually played with the idea last night of not going back today. Luckily I wasn't stuck, but my car sunk alot during the day. Was almost a stampede getting on the buses and the game wasn't even completely over yet. Why they didn't pull up to a gate is absolutely beyond me. As it was, walked further than ever did before at canton. Nevermind they had enough empty parking to at least put us in our normal lot who paid for "premium" tickets. Shame on the hall of fame....everyone on the bus last night was saying how bad the organization was. Nfl isn't doing itself any favors lately

Old 12-02-17, 08:38 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
First let me say I loved the games and the price when they use to be in Canton/Massillon, then Columbus got them and the price went way up.

I did not go to the Columbus games because of the price(I can afford it,but will not at the present time pay that much for a high school sporting event.)

If the price was alright I would go anywhere they were being held.

I prefer a more Central location but not directly in crime infested Columbus.

If they are going to stay with one site, they should do like other states and make it one ticket for all day.

Stark County had over 2 years to get ready for this and from reading how things went, they failed bigtime.

I do believe they will have things better organized next time around.
Old 12-02-17, 09:03 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
I think the stadium has potential. Why they were there when the project is still in progress in beyond me.
Old 12-02-17, 09:12 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
I think the stadium has potential. Why they were there when the project is still in progress in beyond me.
Yes, there is potential, but it should be used for games between teams from that area. At least as far as high school is concerned.
It really is an inconvenience for the teams and fans from areas other than NEO. If you have the early game, you have to either get a hotel room, or leave home extremely early. The opposite is true if you have the late game; hotel for the night or a long drive, late at night.
Old 12-02-17, 09:23 AM
All Yappi

Much better so far today. Seems more organized.

Old 12-02-17, 01:11 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
if you can't have PARKING around the stadium......u shouldn't have the EVENT.....the OHSAA messed up.....

they provided NO area to MEET the teams after the games......Horrible

they played NO music before the GAMES while the players were warming up....

instead they played people talking about the hall of fame/ or background music like you were walking into the Hall of Fame building

How can you have NO parking for people at the stadium?????????????
Old 12-02-17, 01:19 PM
All Ohio

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Makes me glad I didn't go then
Old 12-02-17, 02:37 PM
All World

but let me say, once inside the stadium, it is a GREAT place to watch a game, concessions were good, cushion seats( even thou we didn't sit in them the whole game.......
Old 12-02-17, 03:21 PM
All World

tom_hsfootball_fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I have parked in Stadium Park down the hill across 77 from the stadium and walked up the hill to the stadium. Not sure if the Canton Parks Dept. and Police Dept. have cracked down on that, but I had no trouble doing it in '09. There isn't a ton of parking down there, but there are a few parking areas just off the park road. Parking there likely carries an increased risk of vandalism or theft.
that parking lot is gone right now due to the construction. they took out the ball diamonds are going to put a large parking lot down there. I've been parking there for mckinley games and playoff games since 1981 and there is no increased risk of vandalism or theft. that's a silly thing to say.

there's just too many moving parts to solve all these problems for this year. you have one group of people who are in charge of the construction and another group of people who are trying to have an event. once it all comes together and you start seeing NFL Hall of Famers at every one of the games and more and more events are tied into the weekend everything will settle down.
Old 12-02-17, 04:56 PM
All Region

chito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
This.
Old 12-03-17, 01:12 AM
All American

I guess its all about one's perception and attitude. I had a great experience each of the games I attended.

Parking for this year will be different next year. But thousands of people were somehow able to make it to each game.

No music during warm-ups? LOL

Some people who are b!tching the most would not have come if a limo had dropped them off on the 50 yard line.

First world problems.
Old 12-03-17, 01:23 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
I literally could have thrown a football into the stadium from where I parked, and it only cost me $10. I also talked to a lot of people who did the fairgrounds thing and were tremendously inconvenienced, to the point of nearly missing their game because of slow shuttle service.

The stadium was great, there were plenty of workers, and the concessions were reasonable. While I’m not in the ‘complain about everthing’ camp, I also don’t understand those that reflexively defend everything that could have been improved on.

I imagine things will go more smoothly next year, assuming the games are again in Canton, though it sure would be nice if the games were more centrally located.
Old 12-03-17, 01:33 AM
All World

Spize is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I guess its all about one's perception and attitude. I had a great experience each of the games I attended.

Parking for this year will be different next year. But thousands of people were somehow able to make it to each game.

Some people who are b!tching the most would not have come if a limo had dropped them off on the 50 yard line.

First world problems.
Disclaimer, Iím a Massillon homer so that tilts my perspective.

I see the problem as OHSAA trying to recreate what Massillon did for the title games, but doing it outside of Massillon.

Added Canton because ďwe need a bigger stadium for division 1, we will sell a ton of tickets... didnít happen.

Move to Columbus because everyone will flock to the shoe and itís central so attendance will skyrocket!

Didnít happen.

Now Benson.

Honestly, thereís a few problems (beyond TV and the games being 5 weeks after the season and usually cold weather)

Thereís too many divisions for one weekend. This was the original One stadium deal breaker when a game went to extended overtimes and killed the schedule.

If you want 7 divisions, cut the smaller divisions in size and play a four week playoff. Then you get two weekends. Either that or start them a week earlier, or one less week. Whatever it is, 7 in one weekend dilutes the product and jams too many games in.

I dunno, it seems like there has to be a smarter way to do this.
Old 12-03-17, 09:08 AM
All World

Quote:

First world problems.
parking this year will be different NEXT YEAR!!!! LOL....we are talking about THIS YEAR......

and ask KIDS( it's not about old farts) if they want music while they are warming up...instead of some speech, and a soundtrack from the hall fame.....LOL....

like I said the stadium is great, once a person gets inside, but if the construction is not done....wait till you are ready to HOST a event ...don't force it
Old 12-03-17, 01:05 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
they played NO music before the GAMES while the players were warming up....
Thank goodness, I hate that.
Old 12-03-17, 01:11 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
and ask KIDS( it's not about old farts) if they want music while they are warming up...
Do you think all these teams got to the finals by always doing what the kids wanted or by doing what the coach wanted? Ask any coach if he wants his team distracted by unknown factors 30 minutes prior to kickoff.
Old 12-03-17, 01:45 PM
Junior Varsity

ambassador is on a distinguished road
I will agree once you got into the stadium, it was a first class experience. However the line to enter through security took forever for the D 4 game, I almost the kickoff. I think the fans were also deceived about the neighborhood parking, there were many homes still parking cars in their yards like in prior years and they were easy walking distance to the stadium. I personally like Ohio Stadium even though Canton is much closer for me. But I will follow my team wherever they play. And BTW, I am old so I always refer to the stadium as Ohio Stadium, not the shoe. Just me
Old 12-05-17, 04:04 PM
All Region

NWIndianNation01 is on a distinguished road
Overall our group had a great experience and thoroughly enjoyed the games being in Canton. That said, we live 20 minutes away, so that helped, plus we got to park in the handicapped lot. So we were a little biased. Thoughts on the different parts:

Parking: Again, we parked in the handicapped lot, which was fantastic, but I obviously understand that not many people have that luxury. There was still half of a parking lot open across from the school, so they could have found a way to have some people park there. Also, there were tons of houses having people park in their yards, most barely full. OHSAA probably got a kickback from the parking cost at the fairgrounds, so of course they pushed that and made it sound like you wouldn't have an option by the stadium. I completely understand how people were upset about the fairgrounds. The idea was ridiculous, on top of the issues with mud. Even though we are talking about this year, at least this will not be a problem going forward.

Gate: It was nice having the VIP seating as we got right into the games through the special security line, however, I can see how going through security was a pain for those in the normal lines as they were sometimes pretty large, especially close to the time the gates first opened for each game. They died down pretty quickly though. However, I don't think anyone should be surprised by that considering if you go to a pro game or college game, you tend to wait just as long. I am guessing next year they will have more people scanning to help make it easier. Another thing that was kind of obnoxious was them not allowing people to take in seat cushions. I was lucky to sit in the cushioned VIP section, but not everyone had that luxury either. What is a seat cushion going to hurt? Kind of silly in my mind.

Volunteers: Despite them being very nice, they were not overly helpful. Seemed like any question you asked, they didn't know. Maybe a meeting with them all would have been helpful. When we first entered, nobody knew anything about how the e-tickets worked. We got all the way to our seats before finding out we needed the lanyard pass. None of the workers knew where to get them, but luckily another fan helped us out. Being the younger guy of our group, I volunteered to walk the mile to get them. ha They really needed to have a Tikatap booth at every entrance. Another silly thing. After the first game though, we didn't really have too many questions that they didn't have an answer for. Again, they were very friendly, so that was appreciated.

Stadium: Just wow! Great venue once in your seat. We were way up in the VIP section and felt like we were right down by the field. The guys in our group went to Columbus the last few years and thought they liked it much better in Canton. Much better feel. They said over and over how they felt like the Shoe was just too big and caused for a bad experience overall. Although, I am sure for most of the players, it is cooler to play in the Shoe. Not sure how they feel about it being insanely empty. Probably varies from one person to another. As a fan, I loved the feel and atmosphere.

Concessions: Prices seemed great, especially as we were worried they would be more like NFL prices. Food tasted great too and no long lines...both in the VIP area and in the main concourse. Plus, they never ran out of any food...which was nice.

Overall, I give it an A-. The enjoyment of the games in the stadium were my number 1 criteria and the few negatives is what pushed it down to an A-. If we had to park at the fairgrounds, I could easily see it getting a straight C or possibly lower. They could have waited another year, but they didn't we can't change that now. I expect next year to go pretty flawlessly. We will see.
Old 12-05-17, 04:23 PM
All American

Generally it seems that most who went had a good experience. The biggest complainers did not even attend.
Old 12-05-17, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but everyone needs to remember this important line from the Canton Repository's assessment of perceived parking issues at this year's finals -

"It also doesnít help that weíre still a few years away from getting a parking deck at Johnson Controls Hall of Fame Village."

Parking, of some sort, will be an issue next year too.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2017...r-state-finals
Old 12-05-17, 04:31 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
I think part of the issue is the OHSAA requesting 850 parking spaces at McKinley High school for each day. Which is why it was closed to the public. Why donít they park at the fair grounds, and let the traveling public use the stadium lots.
Old 12-05-17, 04:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but everyone needs to remember this important line from the Canton Repository's assessment of perceived parking issues at this year's finals -

"It also doesnít help that weíre still a few years away from getting a parking deck at Johnson Controls Hall of Fame Village."

Parking, of some sort, will be an issue next year too.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2017...r-state-finals
The deck may not be done, but they have plenty of lots that will be ready. It will be a non-issue.
Old 12-05-17, 04:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
I think part of the issue is the OHSAA requesting 850 parking spaces at McKinley High school for each day. Which is why it was closed to the public. Why donít they park at the fair grounds, and let the traveling public use the stadium lots.
Agreed, that is an insane amount of spaces to request, especially as that lot was only half full most of the time.