Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Mentor by 17+ 8 6.96%
Mentor by 8-16 15 13.04%
Mentor by 1-7 33 28.70%
Pickerington Central by 1-7 25 21.74%
Pickerington Central by 8-16 32 27.83%
Pickerington Central by 17+ 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-17, 09:48 PM
All American

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickeringtonsports View Post
Maybe next season? They will be lucky to go .500 for the next 5-7 years.
.500? Who are you referring to? You must be talking about PN.

Last edited by OneTiger; 12-02-17 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-02-17, 09:59 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Hats off to Pick Central. The O line was incredible. The QB a stud. And the number of athletes they are able to shuffle in on O and get the ball to is simply the envy of every coach in Ohio. Very impressive.

I also think it is worth noting that these guys, in terms of sportsmanship, are light years ahead of where Pick Central was 7 years or so ago. I'm not sure if Sharret is consciously running a tighter ship or if it just a better culture of kids, but I had no hesitation rooting for this year's team. That wasn't true several years ago. We'll done Tigers.
Old 12-02-17, 10:16 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
PC has some great athletes. Your ultra-talented QB should receive college offers in the next two years. Hopefully, Mentor's QB and RB will receive some offers late -- they certainly deserve it.
Old 12-02-17, 10:26 PM
All Region

Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
PC has some great athletes. Your ultra-talented QB should receive college offers in the next two years. Hopefully, Mentor's QB and RB will receive some offers late -- they certainly deserve it.
The QB already has offers from Kentucky and Cincinnati. He got the Kentucky offer after his 8th grade year. OSU will be in the picture.
Old 12-02-17, 10:37 PM
All District

Manyfeathers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Chokes implies mentor was the better team. So are you saying that ?

Man you are a miserable person. It's pretty sad Seems you are very salty.

Your school has to recruit better. Couldn't beat mentor this year so anything you say to down them .... you guys were worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triv......the new Marv Levy!
Old 12-03-17, 03:40 AM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Chokes implies mentor was the better team. So are you saying that ?

Man you are a miserable person. It's pretty sad Seems you are very salty.

Your school has to recruit better. Couldn't beat mentor this year so anything you say to down them .... you guys were worse

The Mentor coaching staff is notorious of choking in big games. The fact that Mentor still has not won a state championship with all of the talent they have clearly proves that something is wrong.
Old 12-03-17, 09:30 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
The Mentor coaching staff is notorious of choking in big games. The fact that Mentor still has not won a state championship with all of the talent they have clearly proves that something is wrong.
Don't know about that. I was shocked but they number of 150 lb guys they had on Defense. Not slamming them and the kids were tough for their size. But you don't tend to see a lot guys that size in the Ohio D1 final.
Old 12-03-17, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
D I State Championship: Mentor (13-1) vs Pickerington Central (13-1)

They are salty Eds guys who are jokes. Mentor has had 5 more talented teams than this in the last 11 years alone. This team overachieved if anything. No one expected them to get to the title game

As for talent well they hardly ever have the overall depth that a recruiting school like Eds has.

The fact that it's a Eds wrestling fan saying this is rich too. Very easy to win titles when you recruit all over the place and get all the individual talent to form a team like Eds does in wrestling

Old 12-03-17, 09:56 AM
All District

Manyfeathers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They are salty Eds guys who are jokes. Mentor has had 5 more talented teams than this in the last 11 years alone. This team overachieved if anything. No one expected them to get to the title game

As for talent well they hardly ever have the overall depth that a recruiting school like Eds has.

The fact that it's a Eds wrestling fan saying this is rich too. Very easy to win titles when you recruit all over the place and get all the individual talent to form a team like Eds does in wrestling

Five more talented teams that still have not accomplished anything! Mentor Cardinals....The "New" Buffalo Bills....
Old 12-03-17, 10:43 AM
Varsity

NEOhioFootball is on a distinguished road
Congrats to PC. How do they look for next year? Obviously they have a stud for the next two years at QB.
Old 12-03-17, 11:21 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Mentor's 3-4 defense was somewhat tailor-made for what Crenshaw prefers to do, which is run the football. In order to make that defense work, you have to have a lot great LBers, and without great LBers, it was only going to be a matter of time before Crenshaw got it going.

Note that Crenshaw ran the ball 24 times, which I'm sure is way more than he threw it. I'm surprised that none of Central's playoff opponents really attempted to just stack the box and say, "Hey, if you can beat me with your arm, so be it."

Congrats to the Tigers on their DI title!
Old 12-03-17, 11:29 AM
All American

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioFootball View Post
Congrats to PC. How do they look for next year? Obviously they have a stud for the next two years at QB.
This years team was senior heavy for sure. We should be strong at the skill positions next year and decent on the line. Training will take 1 month off then competition for next year will begin. A more accurate opinion can be given around July.
Old 12-03-17, 04:02 PM
All Yappi

longtime1sttime
It did seem like the momentum totally went Pickerington Central's way in the 3rd when Mentor had 4th and inches and threw the incompletion. Congrats to both teams on a great season!
Old 12-03-17, 08:14 PM
Freshman

H.S. FAN is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if #11, Mentor receiver/RB Steven Baird's father is also Steven Baird? If so, I am curious to know if his father is the same Baird that played QB for Hilliard Davidson in the early 90s
Old 12-03-17, 08:14 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Honestly, I think they (and many others) do it just to get a reaction from you just to see how upset you will get.
Old 12-04-17, 12:15 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
What may be the reason Sappy? Could it be there is no and I don't just mean Pickerington no loyalty , sense of community and a complete transient culture that lends itself to not really caring what the school where you live does in athletics ?
Yes. I think so. I think there's a bit of hostility these days also. Here is a real conversation I had with a parent about 10 years ago:

Dad: Hey, I thought you only went to football games.
Me: Yeah well the kid wanted to see her friend's soccer game, and she can't drive yet.
Dad: Well thanks for the support. Soccer gets no respect here.
Me: Hey - which guy is the coach or manager or whatever you call him?
Dad: He's the one sitting in the lawn chair on the 15 yard line.
Me: Why? I know soccer is weird but that seems odd to me.
Dad: He was kicked out of the game. Refs got tired of him screaming.
Me: What color card is that?
Dad: Football jerk.
Me: Seriously, why is he still on the sideline? Do you eject people like you tackle people?
Dad: Shut up, but thanks for coming. It's just wrong that soccer can't fill this place up like football does.
Me: Yeah, if they canceled football, it would be standing room only.
Dad: Exactly. I'm surprised you think that too.
Me: Yeah, because the bleachers would be 15 feet long and three rows high.
Dad: That's why I refuse to go to football games.

Some people hate football. Many just don't care. And community is impossible in a world in which many people don't even know their neighbors.
Old 12-04-17, 12:34 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.S. FAN View Post
Does anyone know if #11, Mentor receiver/RB Steven Baird's father is also Steven Baird? If so, I am curious to know if his father is the same Baird that played QB for Hilliard Davidson in the early 90s
The Hilliard High School (pre-"Davidson") Steve Baird resides in Columbus. No idea as to where or whether he has children.
Old 12-04-17, 12:52 PM
All Region

Picktowncentral is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Yes. I think so. I think there's a bit of hostility these days also. Here is a real conversation I had with a parent about 10 years ago:

Dad: Hey, I thought you only went to football games.
Me: Yeah well the kid wanted to see her friend's soccer game, and she can't drive yet.
Dad: Well thanks for the support. Soccer gets no respect here.
Me: Hey - which guy is the coach or manager or whatever you call him?
Dad: He's the one sitting in the lawn chair on the 15 yard line.
Me: Why? I know soccer is weird but that seems odd to me.
Dad: He was kicked out of the game. Refs got tired of him screaming.
Me: What color card is that?
Dad: Football jerk.
Me: Seriously, why is he still on the sideline? Do you eject people like you tackle people?
Dad: Shut up, but thanks for coming. It's just wrong that soccer can't fill this place up like football does.
Me: Yeah, if they canceled football, it would be standing room only.
Dad: Exactly. I'm surprised you think that too.
Me: Yeah, because the bleachers would be 15 feet long and three rows high.
Dad: That's why I refuse to go to football games.

Some people hate football. Many just don't care. And community is impossible in a world in which many people don't even know their neighbors.
When Central won the boy's basketball championship in 2012, there were maybe 2,000 purple shirts at the game. And that was in Columbus at the Schott!!! My friends and I couldn't figure out why more people, students in particular, weren't more into it! I would have given my left foot to see my school win a championship while I was there. Now, there isn't the same passion there used to be!
Old 12-04-17, 01:38 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
The Baird family lives in Mentor. So not the former HD qb

Old 12-04-17, 01:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picktowncentral View Post
My friends and I couldn't figure out why more people, students in particular, weren't more into it!
What I heard from my neighbors was that every player was a move-in, and that they had no interest in watching some mercenary team no matter how good they were. Couldn't figure out why that didn't matter for the girls all them years except for maybe that one thing.
Old 12-04-17, 03:43 PM
All American

SuperD1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Why Mentor doesnít win ^. Loser

Why are you talking about St Edward wrestling? I know youíre ignorant but give it a rest. They donít need to recruit. Because they win and they win bigly. Something you donít know anything about.
Old 12-04-17, 06:32 PM
All Region

Quote:
What I heard from my neighbors was that every player was a move-in, and that they had no interest in watching some mercenary team no matter how good they were. Couldn't figure out why that didn't matter for the girls all them years except for maybe that one thing.
Good one, troll! I know for a fact that all the starters from that team were all from Pickerington. Success breeds jealousy.
Old 12-04-17, 07:50 PM
Junior Varsity

0-16gobrowns is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Your neighbor is a and has no idea what he is talking about. The majority of Centrals team played together at PYAA since they were in the first grade. Everyone knew by the time they were in the 4th grade what was coming up the ranks to Central. Your neighbor has his head up his . Try to find some more fake news. Just remember the team that smacked Mentor were Home grown PYAA Pickerington kids. Face it our town just produces nasty athletes

Old 12-04-17, 08:06 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-16gobrowns View Post
Your neighbor is a and has no idea what he is talking about. The majority of Centrals team played together at PYAA since they were in the first grade. Everyone knew by the time they were in the 4th grade what was coming up the ranks to Central. Your neighbor has his head up his . Try to find some more fake news. Just remember the team that smacked Mentor were Home grown PYAA Pickerington kids. Face it our town just produces nasty athletes

They could have moved into the neighborhood the kids kindergarten year...lol

Old 12-04-17, 09:10 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan97 View Post
They could have moved into the neighborhood the kids kindergarten year...lol

Lol. Yeah that has to be it.

Old 12-05-17, 09:10 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...No one expected them to get to the title game...
I agree.

Seems like to me anyway the discussion as to who would win the R1 championship centered primarily around Eds and Iggy. However, once again the Cardinals defeated both assemblers to emerge as regional champs...Subsequently, getting to the state title game.

No shame (in my book anyway) not coming away with the title...Mentor lost to a team that is obviously worthy and deserving of the state title. Congrats PC as your decisive win over Mentor was as eye opening as it was impressive. Enjoy the spoils of being state champs.

To Mentor, I say hold your heads up high and be proud of your season accomplishments and your football tradition...You guys are always in "the hunt" and included in the discussion come playoff time...Not many programs can say that.
Old 12-05-17, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

longtime1sttime
"Commentary: Foundation for Tigers’ title run built long ago"
http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...built-long-ago
Old 12-05-17, 09:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picktowncentral View Post
I know for a fact that all the starters from that team were all from Pickerington.
We are friends with the mom of the Arkansas State kid. The wife played basketball at Wehrle during them years and was good friends with the assistant who passed away last summer, so I know the composition of the team. Who wants to say that their kid just isn't that good? I'm friends with the mom of the really good small forward in class of 2019, and she's heard that crap from neighbors for years, too.
Old 12-05-17, 10:41 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
I agree.

Seems like to me anyway the discussion as to who would win the R1 championship centered primarily around Eds and Iggy. However, once again the Cardinals defeated both assemblers to emerge as regional champs...Subsequently, getting to the state title game.

No shame (in my book anyway) not coming away with the title...Mentor lost to a team that is obviously worthy and deserving of the state title. Congrats PC as your decisive win over Mentor was as eye opening as it was impressive. Enjoy the spoils of being state champs.

To Mentor, I say hold your heads up high and be proud of your season accomplishments and your football tradition...You guys are always in "the hunt" and included in the discussion come playoff time...Not many programs can say that.

Thank you very much ! Very much appreciated.
Old 12-05-17, 03:31 PM
All Region

Quote:
We are friends with the mom of the Arkansas State kid. The wife played basketball at Wehrle during them years and was good friends with the assistant who passed away last summer, so I know the composition of the team. Who wants to say that their kid just isn't that good? I'm friends with the mom of the really good small forward in class of 2019, and she's heard that crap from neighbors for years, too.
I'm not saying that some of the more recent teams aren't AAU's. However, I personally know most of the players on the 2012 team, including Kern. At the time, I just chalked it up as "PC is a football town".