Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-03-17, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Nothing wrong with the rule....... Lots wrong with the timing.

I don't see this being addressed (no need to in my opinion) on a national level. I hope it is addressed on the state level. however.
I don't understand what you mean by "timing"? Did the refs not follow the rule last night and the clock should have just run out?

Folks seem to be saying that the ref should have started the clock at the "ready" but wouldn't that enable a team to line up with 3 seconds left and spike the ball (it was 2nd down) preserving a FG try or the ability to take another shot at the end zone? There is no way a team should be allowed to run another play under these circumstances UNLESS the defense commits a penalty.
Old 12-03-17, 11:18 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
The only way to fix the “timing” issue is with a run off. Other than that there is no guarantee that a referee will use the right discretion.
Old 12-03-17, 11:55 AM
All Ohio

Reddengineer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "timing"? Did the refs not follow the rule last night and the clock should have just run out?

Folks seem to be saying that the ref should have started the clock at the "ready" but wouldn't that enable a team to line up with 3 seconds left and spike the ball (it was 2nd down) preserving a FG try or the ability to take another shot at the end zone? There is no way a team should be allowed to run another play under these circumstances UNLESS the defense commits a penalty.
Ready for play indicates readiness of officials and ball, not the teams. Now they could conceivably attempt to be lined up by the time the referee signals, which is what one would do in a two minute drill situation. Unless you're already in that mode, don't know it would work that way.
Old 12-03-17, 12:40 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Below is a quote from the NFHS Football Officials' Manual......

"Game officials must have a football sense which supersedes the technical
application of the rules so that the game goes smoothly. Game officials are expected to exercise good judgment in applying the rules."

This quote applies to ignoring a player in motion advancing towards the Line of Scrimmage prior to the snap when that team that team is losing 42-0 with three minutes to play.

It can be applied here as well.
Old 12-03-17, 12:42 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Seems this rule is in need of a change.

Once a linemen is set, hand on the ground or not, they should remain that way.
Maybe, but that is not the rule at any level of football. It seems that you might be trying to correct a problem that does not exist.
Old 12-03-17, 12:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
The only way to fix the “timing” issue is with a run off. Other than that there is no guarantee that a referee will use the right discretion.
There was a rule change made this year allowing for the offended team to have the clock start on the snap after an accepted penalty if it occurred inside the last two minutes of either half.

The "run-off" penalty isn't going to happen anytime soon.

***Edited to correct copy and paste error****

Last edited by AllSports12; 12-05-17 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 11:16 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

application of the rules so that the game goes smoothly. Game officials are expected to exercise good judgment in applying the rules."

This quote applies to ignoring a player in motion advancing towards the Line of Scrimmage prior to the snap when that team that team is losing 42-0 with three minutes to play.

In that case are we in agreement that the officials should have let the clock run out and then announce the sideline warning?

Because while the official is telling everyone it's a sideline warning the offense can do one of two things here:

* they can line up and when the ref signals "ready" hike & spike the ball or

* Hike the ball before the line is set and draw an illegal procedure or delay of game penalty which still will give them time to hike & spike after the ball is set with the penalty walk off.

So I'm fine with giving the officials the discretion here but would expect that in the off season that play will be discussed at length with officials being schooled on what discretion they should use in this type of situation.
Old 12-05-17, 12:18 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:

This sounds like what the officials should have done. What made this more egregious is that it was only a warning. This reminded me of Jason Kidd "spilling" his drink on the court to get an extra timeout in the NBA.
Old 12-05-17, 12:21 AM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
So for those that watched the debacle in Cincinnati tonight. What is the logic of not letting a team accept both a personal foul and unsportsmanlike penalty on the same play?
Old 12-05-17, 06:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
So for those that watched the debacle in Cincinnati tonight. What is the logic of not letting a team accept both a personal foul and unsportsmanlike penalty on the same play?
NFL rules do not provide for that option on this play.
Old 12-05-17, 08:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
NFL rules do not provide for that option on this play.
I guess I wasn't clear. My apologies. Why is the rule that way? If you commit a personal foul and an unsportsmanlike on the same play, you should have to pay for both.
Old 12-05-17, 11:35 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
I guess I wasn't clear. My apologies. Why is the rule that way? If you commit a personal foul and an unsportsmanlike on the same play, you should have to pay for both.
It's professional sports..... Billions of dollars are involved.

A 30 yard penalty isn't good for the offense, which isn't good for scoring, which isn't good for TV ratings, which isn't good for TV contracts, which isn't good for.... etc...

Whether or not you or I agree with it, (I would agree with you) that's the reality.

Follow the money.
Old 12-05-17, 12:57 PM
Freshman

TheGreenMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
This sounds like what the officials should have done. What made this more egregious is that it was only a warning. This reminded me of Jason Kidd "spilling" his drink on the court to get an extra timeout in the NBA.
First sideline warning is always a warning. To cloud things even further, officials are told that if they do not enforce their sidelines they will no longer work play-off games. I have never seen anything other than you'd better enforce keeping coaches off the field and out of the white during a play.
Old 12-05-17, 01:17 PM
All Region

Quote:
It's professional sports..... Billions of dollars are involved.

A 30 yard penalty isn't good for the offense, which isn't good for scoring, which isn't good for TV ratings, which isn't good for TV contracts, which isn't good for.... etc...

Whether or not you or I agree with it, (I would agree with you) that's the reality.

Follow the money.
I assumed that. Thanks for answering.
Old 12-10-17, 05:21 PM
All Region

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Watching tape delay of West Virginia HS SSAC championship games. Just had pass interference call in the end zone on a play from the 3 or 2 yard line. The ball was moved to the 1 yard line and called as 3rd down. Thought PI in the EZ would have been an automatic first down.
Thought I'd edit this, since it occurred to me that the announcers may have called it pass interference when the real call had been defensive holding. Could that have explained the 3rd down call?
Old 12-10-17, 07:00 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
PI has not been an automatic first down in HS for a few years now. EZ foul would not be any different.
Old 12-10-17, 07:10 PM
All Region

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks. Didn't know that.
Old 12-10-17, 11:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Thanks. Didn't know that.
The rule changed prior to the 2013 season.
Old 12-11-17, 01:03 PM
Freshman

reggieDunlop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Watching tape delay of West Virginia HS SSAC championship games. Just had pass interference call in the end zone on a play from the 3 or 2 yard line. The ball was moved to the 1 yard line and called as 3rd down. Thought PI in the EZ would have been an automatic first down.
Thought I'd edit this, since it occurred to me that the announcers may have called it pass interference when the real call had been defensive holding. Could that have explained the 3rd down call?
Also DPI in the End Zone does not automatically put the ball on the 1 yard line. It is a 15-yard penalty, subject to the half the distance rule if inside the 30.