Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-03-17, 06:11 PM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Spectrum Broadcasts

What did everyone think of the Spectrum broadcasts of the games?

I have only seen the D7 game, and it wasn't bad. I am spoiled as it was maybe a step below the top crew on the WOSN broadcasts, especially as related to replays which were not as frequent or as good.

However, my main lasting impression was, has anyone on the broadcast crew ever been south of I-70 or west of US-23?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-17, 06:52 PM
All Region

chito is on a distinguished road
I tried to not listen to them. They drove me nuts constantly referring to "the newly renovated Tom Benson Stadium", it wasn't renovated Fawcett was completely demolished and Benson is a new stadium. I know little thing but.....
Old 12-03-17, 07:02 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Broadcasts were pretty good. I didn't care for the obligatory interviews with OHSAA staff and their BS. However some good games and I switched back and forth watching Ohio St. And the TV-Trotwood game. Disappointed some games were not close. But, very entertaining.
Old 12-03-17, 07:09 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Once you got passed isn't it great to have the games in Canton stuff, they were not that bad.

#fakelove
Old 12-03-17, 07:13 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Broadcasts were pretty good. I didn't care for the obligatory interviews with OHSAA staff and their BS. However some good games and I switched back and forth watching Ohio St. And the TV-Trotwood game. Disappointed some games were not close. But, very entertaining.
only imagine what the interviews from the OHSAA staff was...probably a lot like listening to politicians being interviewed....Fluff and a lot of patting on the back of the officials on how great of job they are doing?
Old 12-03-17, 07:23 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Yes, too much glad handing, great job, blah, blah, blah. Hell I wouldn't miss seeing (or hearing) them at all.
Old 12-03-17, 07:35 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
One thing that I would change, focus more on the field when showing the game. I like replays, those are a good thing. Focusing on the coaches and up close shots of the QBs face aren't necessary on every play. Show us the larger picture. There were a number of times that it was impossible to know where the ball was because they cut away to commercial or focused on the coaches for far too long. Let us at least know where the ball is before going to the other stuff.

Other than that, I thought they did an excellent job. The announcing was very good. The video and replays were very good. Overall, a very good job.
Old 12-03-17, 07:44 PM
Freshman

atthemike is on a distinguished road
B-

Very difficult to bring in announcers that haven't called a high school game all year to do the finals. Most of these guys have jobs calling college, or pro games full time. Felt they may not have had the feel for what these kids did all season?

Reghi was too talkative in the DI game, and announced like he was the show! Turned me off. Seemed like too much Columbus influence and for someone in NE Ohio, I have no reference to anyone in the booth or behind the anchor desk other than Dave Bacon.

I noticed plenty of mistakes by play by play men, especially (Bray) with not knowing who carried the ball or who was making plays. Maybe he had a bad or no spotter. Also there was lots of missed calls from the booth. Don't know if they couldn't see the field from the new booth, or they had bad monitor angles in the press box.

The ladies on the sidelines I thought did a good job on interviews and game assessments.

Overall, I'd give Spectrum a B-. Poor games also didn't help with the fan appeal!
Old 12-03-17, 08:21 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthemike View Post
The ladies on the sidelines I thought did a good job on interviews and game assessments.
I thought they all did good, but the one with the glasses did a great job imo, asking good, thoughtful questions with clearly research being done, not the typical softball type
Old 12-03-17, 08:43 PM
All District

FB4EVer is on a distinguished road
I thought the broadcasts were slightly better than the game coverage during the season. People need to stop talking to Harrison Sanford. If he said "I talked to...." once it was a thousand times this year. I pity Jay Minton if he actually talked to Harrison that much. The Friday night "Blitz" was a great addition for someone who wanted timely statewide coverage. Overall, I thought they upped STO's coverage.
Old 12-03-17, 08:46 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I have watched several WOSN broadcasts over the years as well as Spectrum/Time Warner....

The difference is that WOSN usually knows their stuff while sometimes the Spectrum/Time Warner crew assumes something that isn't always true....

I saw one game they did during the regular season when they were talking about the Harbins and they had it wrong when stating that teams a team had lost to would help them out by winning....

I also swear that in the D6 game they called "Bruns" "Bruins" ? did anyone else catch that????

I can't complain one bit though... I mean they do over 10 games a week during the regular season as well as the playoffs, I saw 13 of the 14 semi final games... for a HS football junkie that is well over 100 games.....
Old 12-03-17, 08:51 PM
All Region

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought Fox West did a fantastic job with Mater Dei (top high school team in the country) and John Bosco.
Southern California section championship.
Old 12-03-17, 11:37 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Overall I thought Spectrum did a great job. I watched all or part of all the games this weekend on TV and IMO here's what I think they did right and wrong:

Right

* The technical aspects were very good. From the HD picture & sound quality to the general broadcast of the games. You can't expect espn level work here but the directors and video folks did a fine job. In fact they managed to get some outstanding replays of big plays and I love the yellow first down marker!

* I thought the pre-game, in-game and post-game coverage conveyed a sense of "big time" and treated all the playoff games as important. The studio show was outstanding as was the announcing and the half time analysis. The special interest stories and interviews leading into each game were very good.

Wrong

* This is a personal preference for me but I find sideline reporting in football at any level to be annoying and distracting. Go ahead and have sideline folks to report back up to the booth stuff about injuries but we don't need to actually hear & see the folks speak. Just relay the info up to the announcers and they can tell us. We also don't need the goofy interviews of the coaches right before and right after halftime. It clearly annoys the coaches and I've never heard a coach say anything of interest here.

* While this is not Spectrum's fault the constant barrage of OHSAA apparatchiks parading before the camera is a total distraction to the game. Why do we need to hear from these creatures. The only time I want to see or hear from these guys is when they're handing out the trophies. To conduct sideline interviews with these bureaucrats while the game is going on is an affront. If this is about the kids keep the focus on the field during the game. And while I'm on a rant I don't want to see or hear from Dr. Ross again. Putting this man in the booth during an exciting D1 championship game to blabber away for 20 minutes is uncalled for. FOCUS ON THE GAME.

Net, I loved the Spectrum broadcasts and would give them an A. As an aside one of the main reasons I stick with Spectrum is their outstanding coverage of high school football.
Old 12-04-17, 12:21 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Saw two whole games streaming it HD to my TV, and parts of four of the other five games on my tablet.

Technical wise, it was good. No bad camera work, etc.

Some of the game announcers, though. Geesh.

Really feel bad in the Eastwood game when the commentator kept harping on the kid missing the extra point. That's some parents kid who probably taped the game while driving up there to watch. And one of the few moments he's out on the field, the commentator just berates him for missing it.

And I agree with lotr10 and a few others, that the constant fluff softball interviews with OHSAA officials was a bit much in-game. They just really wanted to be on TV. They're not going to admit anything was wrong. They're not going to disrespect Canton, the hosts, etc no matter what happened logistically with the games.

So, it's pointless really to have them on for as long as they did in several of the games I watched, even parts of those games had them. So, either they were on a lot or I was just lucky to switch to the game at those moments.

Biggest argument? Lack of availability statewide. My parents get NEO Spectrum Sports in PA, and I could use their login to watch. I have Armstrong, so can't get Spectrum. That's really the only issue with the current setup.
Old 12-04-17, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Did anyone else hear a rumor that Spectrum might be moving away from this type of sports programming? If that's the case, I wonder who will pick up these telecasts? Maybe it will shift back to Sports Time Ohio.
Old 12-04-17, 08:25 AM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Thing that drove me nuts all season was how announcers didn't know many high school rules. I don't know how many times I heard one say, "Man, I don't understand that Pass Interference call, as the ball was in no way catchable." I was screaming every time I heard that. All in all, I think they did a positive job & I love the coverage of the playoffs. Since all were on Fridays, I couldn't go to more than one, but I could watch multiple at home!
Old 12-04-17, 08:37 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
re they offering DVD's of each of the games?
Old 12-04-17, 09:11 AM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Missed the D4, 6 and 7 games.

Good:

Ryan Cavanaugh does a superb job every week.

Every year the production quality improves.

Bad:

Too many replays of insignificant plays. Probably don't need to show that 1-yd dive play again.

When a team is playing 'with tempo' (a stupid term btw), don't show a replay immediately after a play as sometimes you miss the next snap.

When the ball is in the air, stop focusing the camera on the ball. There is nothing happening up there that should be of interest to anybody, unless one really loves watching a ball in flight. Pan out and show what's happening on the field with the players.
Old 12-04-17, 09:45 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
re they offering DVD's of each of the games?
Yes, but not for 6 weeks.
Old 12-04-17, 09:46 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
The coverage was very good.
Old 12-04-17, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
As a U-verse customer it stinks that I cannot get these games, the OHSAA needs to realize that this is HS sports and access is just as important if not more so than $s. Maybe a lower quality delayed stream over the OHSAA site?

It also appears that not much has changed since I last watched these games on the tube. lotr10's call out about OHSAA honks wanting to hear themselves talk is what I hate about HS sports, adults should never be taking the spot light away from kids yet every year that is what we get. Here is novel idea, how about having a player(s) from teams that just played those on the field in the booth to add a little insight into what is going on the field. It might be rough at times but then again so are most of the interviews with Mr Administrator.
Old 12-04-17, 09:51 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
Did anyone else hear a rumor that Spectrum might be moving away from this type of sports programming? If that's the case, I wonder who will pick up these telecasts? Maybe it will shift back to Sports Time Ohio.
Without Spectrum, unless FoxSports suddenly has more interest the OHSAA may have to change their parameters. I am not sure what network covers much of Ohio and would be willing to be the TV partner of OHSAA, which encompasses more than football.

Shopping just the football title games may bring FoxSports/STO back into the fold, but would eliminate coverage of many other sports. Fans posting in this forum may be a bit biased on what the OHSAA should do there.
Old 12-04-17, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Without Spectrum, unless FoxSports suddenly has more interest the OHSAA may have to change their parameters. I am not sure what network covers much of Ohio and would be willing to be the TV partner of OHSAA, which encompasses more than football.

Shopping just the football title games may bring FoxSports/STO back into the fold, but would eliminate coverage of many other sports. Fans posting in this forum may be a bit biased on what the OHSAA should do there.
I'm with you here. I suspect that Spectrum WON'T walk away from the deal because it's a unique feature that keeps subscribers. lose the HS sports and they will lose customers. The issue is that for this to be valuable to Spectrum they have to be the only source.

As an aside, and this is only a guess on my part, but I suspect that Spectrum loses money on the broadcasts (production costs etc.) but keeps them on air as enticements to subscribe.
Old 12-04-17, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I'm with you guys on the OHSAA interviews. Throw them in pre-game or at halftime if you need to have them.
Old 12-04-17, 10:23 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
* This is a personal preference for me but I find sideline reporting in football at any level to be annoying and distracting. Go ahead and have sideline folks to report back up to the booth stuff about injuries but we don't need to actually hear & see the folks speak.
I disagree. More Gabby Kreuz!
Old 12-04-17, 05:15 PM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
I thought overall they did a pretty good job. One thing I found interesting at first then irritating after several of the game was how the HOF was tied into almost every interview done either from the booth or sidelines. I don't really pay much attention to advertising dollars but it got me thinking how much the HOF dollars if any was invested into this past weekend.
Old 12-04-17, 05:59 PM
Freshman

Alliance1 is on a distinguished road
Besides Ryan Cavanaugh, they were terrible!