Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-10-18, 04:16 AM
All Ohio

chinwhip is on a distinguished road
Do kids get full rides?

As the college selection process has begun for my kid and others, I was wondering if kids get full tuition offers and what the normal $ offers are?
Nobody ever seems to talk about it
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-18, 06:10 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORE2WIN View Post
I know for a fact they do, however they may be far and few between. They are the elite wrestlers. The ones I do know of are getting stipend money also. My boy on the other hand is not in that category. My recommendation would be for them to hit the books cause that's where most of your money will come from.
Wow
Some sort of a stipend is unimaginable to me. Especially in a sport that doesnít make money
Old 10-10-18, 06:32 AM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
We had a 4XDI placer get a full ride to an ACC school back in 09'. He had everything from books, to printing, plus a small monthly "stipend" if you want to call it that...it was on his student card so it was not a stipend he could spend on gas or pay his cable bill with etc.. but he was pretty well set up

Had a DI Football Player who also wrestled for us get full Football ride in ACC....he made out waaaaay better financially. His scholarship packet was about 3" thick. His "stipend" was substantial. He had no worries about paying any bills etc.

My kid has gotten some offers from smaller NAIA & DII schools. The academic money has been almost exactly 4x the wrestling money in those cases.
Old 10-10-18, 07:04 AM
Varsity

dmean76 is on a distinguished road
Hit the books. Unless you’re Kyle Snyder or David Carr, there isn’t much money given out in wrestling. There’s 9.9 scholarships to go around and 40 or so kids on a team. You do the math. Went through it with my son. Hit the books and score well on your act is the best advice I can give
Old 10-10-18, 07:39 AM
All Ohio

CoachYing is on a distinguished road
Most wrestlers get a certain percentage. like stated above they can only offer 9.9 for approx 35 kids on a team. That being said yes some do get full rides and they are your David Carrs, Kaleb Romero's of the world.
Old 10-10-18, 08:21 AM
All District

mos07 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone used the recruiting services, such as Captain U, to promote their student athlete? Are they worth the money to help get your kid’s name out there to the college coaches?
Old 10-10-18, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos07 View Post
Has anyone used the recruiting services, such as Captain U, to promote their student athlete? Are they worth the money to help get your kidís name out there to the college coaches?
Why do you need to pay to promote your kid. If he likes a school email the coach. I was my sons promoter.
Old 10-10-18, 09:13 AM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Yes D1 wrestling schools give out full ride offers. Things that will help get that full ride offer, get good grades, raise your son right so he is not D-bag like his father, be very good wrestler, and being maybe a career 125 helps also getting extra money.
Old 10-10-18, 10:09 AM
All District

bulldowg_Wrestling19 is on a distinguished road
Get good grades, graduate with honors, take college courses during high school, get a mid 20's & up ACT score and you won't have to worry about wrestling scholarships because the academic ones will take care of you.
Old 10-10-18, 10:11 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
Yes D1 wrestling schools give out full ride offers. Things that will help get that full ride offer, get good grades, raise your son right so he is not D-bag like his father, be very good wrestler, and being maybe a career 125 helps also getting extra money.
This all seems achievable except for the dad being a D bag. Thereís a long family history of D bags in my family and unfortunately I donít think the chain will be broken just yet... So maybe a partial ride or perhaps D2?
Old 10-10-18, 10:20 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Agree with all the above statements, academics is where the money is. But if you don't have a huge ego or care about wrestling for a major D1 program, there is plenty of money to be had at the NAIA and below D1. I have 5 former wrestlers currently competing at the college level now. 4 of them received over packages for over $30,000 per year. So if you are going to college for a degree, I would go where you are most happy and come out debt free, whether that be at D1, D2, D3, or NAIA. Most importantly get that degree and come out debt free......speaking from someone who is still paying for a degree 20 years later!!!
Old 10-10-18, 10:50 AM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
It depends A LOT on the type / level of schools that are being considered. My older son wanted to wrestle in college. Based on intended major (Engineering) and excellent academics (31 ACT on one try, 7 AP tests passed, etc.), the best schools with wrestling programs were all high-level D1 programs ... Michigan, Illinois, Cornell, OSU ...

In the fall of his Sr year, when looking at schools, the highest he had placed was 4th, so let's just say these types of D1 programs were NOT knocking down the door! That year he placed at S32, won state, placed at Flo ... so he qualifies to be in those rooms. But school applications are done in December ... by the end of the season, the school decision had been made, and no athletic money was offered. Even the academics were firmly in the "middle 50%" for those schools, nothing extraordinary, so no academic money either.

Had he chosen a different type of school, surely "something" could have been secured.

I agree with Coach JDean ... most important is getting through as debt-free as possible. Don't what that albatross around your neck at 22 or 23.
Old 10-10-18, 12:24 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Even the elite wrestlers that you would think get a full ride do not really get a full ride. They can divide the scholarships up after the student completes the FAFSA. For example you may have a wrestler that may come from a low income family. Lets say he has a solid academic record and graduates high school with a 3.75 GPA and scores a 30 on the ACT. This student would probably receive several grants and academic money. That may cover 1/4 to 3/4 of the tuition. So the college would only have to use a half or 1/4 of a scholarship to cover his educational expenses.
Old 10-10-18, 12:58 PM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
That federal aid is a massive help to lower income families/students..A complete game changer for many kids. My niece got $9k for a Federal Pell Grant for this school year. That pretty much covers her tuition at a public university.
Old 10-10-18, 01:22 PM
All Ohio

Donkability is on a distinguished road
I think full ride means 80% athletic anymore and are rare. short answer no. possible yes. so many other places to pull money from, academic, plus thousands of different scholarships are possible depending on the kid. the smaller schools d2 and d3 have more scholarship leeway then the big d1 programs. In state and Out of state teams have to get creative to get rid of some of the out of state tuitions. so a kid coming from out of state the team may need to help them a little more making their athletic scholarship look better on paper but may not necessarily be better when it comes to what the kid actually has to pay in the end.

My wife just filled out all the paperwork for next school year 2019/2020. Id recommend being on the ball and getting all that done ASAP every year in advanced!
Old 10-10-18, 02:25 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
Agree with all the above statements, academics is where the money is. But if you don't have a huge ego or care about wrestling for a major D1 program, there is plenty of money to be had at the NAIA and below D1. I have 5 former wrestlers currently competing at the college level now. 4 of them received over packages for over $30,000 per year. So if you are going to college for a degree, I would go where you are most happy and come out debt free, whether that be at D1, D2, D3, or NAIA. Most importantly get that degree and come out debt free......speaking from someone who is still paying for a degree 20 years later!!!
Your not alone. Been paying $10 per month for 22 years.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-18, 04:03 PM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Yes, there are full rides, but they are given to the elite. Others usually compete for a piece of a scholarship with a chance to earn more with quality production and key points (starter, national qualifier, all-American, champ.)

I don't want to get off subject, but I think a lot of people may be losing focus... You can't pass up a good education just so that you can go and wrestle...

I'm an advocate of using wrestling to get the best education that you can. That statement confuses some... The best education is different for everyone. For some it may be the one that allows you to graduate debt free, or it may be an ivy league opportunity. Which is the best depends on the individual...

Just my two cents...

Coach Root