Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-01-18, 11:37 AM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
Preseason top schools in state, all divisions

With a month away before tryout starts, who are the best teams in Ohio?

Akron SVSM - can they 3peat in Division II?

In DI, Will Pick Central's transfers get them to the state championship game after back to back Final fours?

Who is the best DI team up North?

Harvest Prep is the best team in DII?

Who is good in Division four?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-18, 12:02 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Uh St.V is now D-I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-18, 12:03 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Didn't STVM get moved up to D1 for this year?
Old 10-01-18, 12:12 PM
All Region

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Didn't STVM get moved up to D1 for this year?
I thought so as well.

Canton McKinley will be back with a vengeance in D1 this year. Watch out for the Bulldogs!
Old 10-01-18, 01:38 PM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
STVM despite numerous transfers return their top 10 players from a team that has won back to back D2 State Championships with 3 consecutive trips to the finals. They certainly have the talent to play at the D1 Level and return to Columbus. D2 watch out for Akron Buchtel lead by the State’s top Frosh 6-6 200 all everything Chris Livingston. Also in the D2 mix Cleveland Central Catholic Benedictine VASJ Mentor Lake Catholic. STVM will return to D2 in 2019-2020
Old 10-01-18, 02:13 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
STVM despite numerous transfers return their top 10 players from a team that has won back to back D2 State Championships with 3 consecutive trips to the finals. They certainly have the talent to play at the D1 Level and return to Columbus. D2 watch out for Akron Buchtel lead by the State’s top Frosh 6-6 200 all everything Chris Livingston. Also in the D2 mix Cleveland Central Catholic Benedictine VASJ Mentor Lake Catholic. STVM will return to D2 in 2019-2020
They won't have Scott Walters back to run the show, but their young sophomore looks ready to step in and fill the void. At D2, the Irish would be THE favorite. At D1, they will be A favorite. Regardless of the post-season, I am looking forward to a season of great basketball games! Especially the match up with Moeller. I agree that Buchtel will be fun to watch this year as well. Livingston is the real deal. He has an excellent chance to become the best player in Ohio at some point in his career.
Old 10-01-18, 07:28 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They won't have Scott Walters back to run the show,
Walters was the glue
Old 10-01-18, 07:43 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
They won't have Scott Walters back to run the show, but their young sophomore looks ready to step in and fill the void. At D2, the Irish would be THE favorite. At D1, they will be A favorite. Regardless of the post-season, I am looking forward to a season of great basketball games! Especially the match up with Moeller. I agree that Buchtel will be fun to watch this year as well. Livingston is the real deal. He has an excellent chance to become the best player in Ohio at some point in his career.
Not likely Livingston is in Ohio after this year.
Old 10-02-18, 10:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Not likely Livingston is in Ohio after this year.
I hope that's not true, but I have a feeling you are correct. He certainly has high next-level talent.
Old 10-02-18, 10:18 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
I thought so as well.

Canton McKinley will be back with a vengeance in D1 this year. Watch out for the Bulldogs!
Didn't McKinley lose its prized freshman from last year to transfer? Even so, I agree that the Bulldogs are positioned for a big year.
Old 10-02-18, 11:40 AM
All Region

Thanks for mentioning SVSM is going DI. So that would mean VASJ will get to the final 4? I don't think Columbus DII have anything to get to the Final Four.
Old 10-02-18, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Didn't McKinley lose its prized freshman from last year to transfer? Even so, I agree that the Bulldogs are positioned for a big year.

No he did not transfer.He will be one of the best players in the league this year.

McKinley got a 6'7" sophomore transfer that has a ton of potential.He should be all-state before he graduates.

The Bulldogs also got a junior transfer from SVSM that is very good.He should be one of the best players in the League.

McKinley's JV was very good last year with about 3 Freshmen on the team.McKinley is loaded with a lot of good sophomore's.
Old 10-02-18, 12:28 PM
All Region

strickly_layups is on a distinguished road
Trowood will win the Southwest Region D2 again,with D1 commit Amari Davis returning. As long as Hughes with the top freshman in the state do not knock them off. Dont know much about D1, yes AKSVM is D1 and should be IMO. In D3 Dayton Stivers can make a deep tournament run.
Old 10-02-18, 01:59 PM
All Region

Harvest Prep looks real good in DIII. CJ Anthony is a load with Elijah Glenn. They are powerful and have a good coaching staff. Look for them to cut down the nets.
Old 10-02-18, 02:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
Thanks for mentioning SVSM is going DI. So that would mean VASJ will get to the final 4? I don't think Columbus DII have anything to get to the Final Four.
I think a VASJ/ Buchtel tournament match up would be a great game!
Old 10-02-18, 02:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
No he did not transfer.He will be one of the best players in the league this year.

McKinley got a 6'7" sophomore transfer that has a ton of potential.He should be all-state before he graduates.

The Bulldogs also got a junior transfer from SVSM that is very good.He should be one of the best players in the League.

McKinley's JV was very good last year with about 3 Freshmen on the team.McKinley is loaded with a lot of good sophomore's.
Good to hear that he stayed. I'm looking forward to Rounds 2-4 of him going up against Seth Wilson from STVM.
Old 10-02-18, 04:42 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Uh St.V is now D-I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So yes they may 3 peat, but we may have to wait a few years to find out.
Old 10-03-18, 09:58 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Not sure about State Level but here are some of the better teams in the Toledo area.

D1 St. Francis and/or Whitmer (depends on if they are in separate districts) should get out of the district. D2 No one stands out. D3 Genoa has everyone back and is due to make a run. Evergreen should live up to their potential. Archbold and Stritch both graduated a lot, but have some good pieces coming back. Maumee Valley and Ottawa Hills in D4 have a lot returning.
Old 10-05-18, 10:42 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by strickly_layups View Post
Trowood will win the Southwest Region D2 again,with D1 commit Amari Davis returning. As long as Hughes with the top freshman in the state do not knock them off. Dont know much about D1, yes AKSVM is D1 and should be IMO. In D3 Dayton Stivers can make a deep tournament run.
I expect Amari Davis to have POY type of season. That young man is a heckuva player.
Old 10-08-18, 07:23 AM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
No cincy love

In D1 moeller will always compete in Columbus. D2 toss up for real. Hughes lost a bit. Mcmillan wont make that huge of a difference this year. They are 2 years away. D3 not sure there are two teams in the state at the D3 level that can compete with the 2 D3 teams in cincy. Deer Park defending state champs returns all but 2 players, thats not counting whoever has transferred in this year. Then Purcell Marian returns literally everyone and they are long and athletic and play one of the hardest schedules in the state. Just like last year who ever wins that regional wins it all.
Old 10-08-18, 11:21 AM
All Region

With Cleveland heights transfers, does this put them on top, gives them a chance to get to the final four?
Old 10-14-18, 02:40 AM
All Region

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Kobe is staying. Two kids transferred in. 6-7 center Brent Walker from HH Wayne and 6-2 forward Jalen Ross from SVSM. They will augment some considerably good young talent that was in the pipeline for success.
However, the biggest change will be Coach V from Warren Harding. He's going to give McKinley the tactical acumen and development that's been missing for awhile. We have an underclassmen team, but the kind of team that can beat anyone in Ohio, and we are Ohio's winningest program. All of our State Championships have been in Division 1.
Old 10-15-18, 11:30 AM
All Region

Pickerington Central trying to get to 3 straight final fours. Without Francis again this year and some transfers, I am pretty sure they have a shot
Old 10-16-18, 12:33 PM
All Ohio

GCP441 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
With Cleveland heights transfers, does this put them on top, gives them a chance to get to the final four?
The Cleveland Heights Tigers most certainly will be in the Post-Season mix in 2018-2019 with 3 tranfers,6'5 SF Cleveland John Hay tranfer Nigel Martin (2019), who averaged around 20 points and 10 rebounds for John Hay as a junior, is apparently transferring to Cleveland heights and is playing with Heights.6'4 Anthony Johnson Jr a 3 star defensive end on the football team will also play Basketball for Heights he's from Jeannette, Pennsylvania.

And Last but not least 4 star ranked #1 in Ohio and 91st in the Nation 6'10 PF jae'lyn Withers a Louieville commit from North Carolina this kid is the real deal.

First-year Cleveland Heights coach Michael Cruz believes Withers is the best player to suit up for him on the high school level.

Withers' college offers included Arizona, Florida, Texas and Texas A&M. He even planned to visit the Aggies this weekend before picking the Cardinals, Cruz said Monday.

Cleveland Heights graduated its top nine players from last season's team, which finished 16-9 and lost to eventual Division I state finalist Solon during the semifinals of a loaded Euclid District tournament. That prompted Cruz to load up his new team with a busy summer tour, which included leagues at the Word Church, Massillon Jackson and Cleveland State.

At the time, he did not know his new Tigers team would soon add Withers.

"As a player, he really is extremely versatile," Cruz said. "At the college level at Louisville, I think he can play the 2 (shooting guard) to the 4 (power forward). At the high school level, he can play the 1 (point guard) to the 5 (center)."

Coincidentally, Cruz said he knew of Withers' father, Curtis Withers, while working as a graduate assistant at UNC Charlotte. The elder Withers played there in the mid-2000s before a professional career overseas.

As a junior at North Mecklenburg High School in North Carolina, Jae'Lyn Withers led his team to a 27-2 record that included regular season and postseason championships within their conference. He averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds.

"He's one of the hardest workers and most coachable I've been around in my career," Cruz said. "He has every intangible you want as a coach. When you tack on that talent it makes him pretty dangerous."

Withers is ranked No. 1 in Ohio and 91st nationally by 247Sports.com for the 2019 recruiting class. He is 89th in the ESPN 100.

Last edited by GCP441; 10-16-18 at 12:55 PM.