Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-18, 02:30 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,229
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Hall of Famer John Smoltz proposed changes to MLB

* Eliminate the shift
* Curtail the relentless use of relievers
* Stop the exploitation of the disabled list
* Reduce schedule to 154 games
* Revolutionize the schedule
----Get rid of inter-league play
----Everyone plays the same schedule
----No more "rivalry games"
----Split the season into two seasons. First half and second half winners.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-20-18, 03:02 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,319
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
* Eliminate the shift
* Curtail the relentless use of relievers
* Stop the exploitation of the disabled list
* Reduce schedule to 154 games
* Revolutionize the schedule
----Get rid of inter-league play
----Everyone plays the same schedule
----No more "rivalry games"
----Split the season into two seasons. First half and second half winners.
154 games: Good
SHIFT: I am okay with doing something to curtail it.
Relivers less.....Eh.
You have to keep IL play. 154 games and there is no reason NOT to.

My scheduling change:
No more divisions, just the AL and the NL.

Balanced schedule in your league.
IL series with your rival.
Then you go to the similar system the NFL uses and you play where you are slotted. 5-5-5.

If you finish top 5 in 2018, you play IL against top 5 in the other in 2019.
6-10 vs 6-10 AL/NL.
11-15 vs 11-15.


Then you take the top teams in both leagues record wise for the postseason.

With a few tweaks this is what I would like to see.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-20-18, 04:25 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,785
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
The relentless use of relievers is quite frankly my least favorite part of baseball today. Zero flow to the game once the starter leaves. It's unwatchable at times. That, and time between pitches are by far the two most impactful changes baseball could make
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-20-18, 04:26 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,229
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
My scheduling change:
No more divisions, just the AL and the NL.
I'm not sure any changes are necessary but if they were going to change one thing, I would prefer getting rid of divisions. Personally, I would go with top 4 teams from each league making the playoffs.

I know the most complaining right now is about the shift. That is something that I don't get. It is the one thing that has "evolved" in MLB. I enjoy watching the shift. If it gives you an advantage defensively, go for it. If it causes someone to struggle offensively, too bad. If a hitter couldn't hit the eephus pitch, I wouldn't expect MLB to make the eephus pitch illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-18, 11:06 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,319
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I'm not sure any changes are necessary but if they were going to change one thing, I would prefer getting rid of divisions. Personally, I would go with top 4 teams from each league making the playoffs.

I know the most complaining right now is about the shift. That is something that I don't get. It is the one thing that has "evolved" in MLB. I enjoy watching the shift. If it gives you an advantage defensively, go for it. If it causes someone to struggle offensively, too bad. If a hitter couldn't hit the eephus pitch, I wouldn't expect MLB to make the eephus pitch illegal.
Pete Rose is going to be in Van Wert Ohio Saturday night and was on a local radio show today.

He said if they had the shift when he played then he woulda had 6000 hits!

I am all getting rid of divisions. I stole my post from some pundit's idea a number of years ago.

I don't like watching the reds vs another division opponent so many times.


I don't know why some want to abolish IL play, other than some just being so old school.

Baseball is such an everyday sport. I watch/follow/listen to the reds games so naturally I know what is going on with them, and then with whom they play.

Many adults are too busy to get a full scope of MLB unlike other sports like the NFL. About the only time I get to see AL teams is, well, when the reds play them.

Keep IL play.

As for the shift....the NBA does have an illegal defense, or used to, so its not uncommon to have stipulations on a defense.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-18, 11:28 AM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 796
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
MLB cannot legislate where defenders need to play. For decades teams have shifted players to the strong side when pull hitters come up. CF moves to right center, etc. They play deeper against sluggers, and shallow against weak hitters. The shift is just smart baseball.

Dumb baseball is when stubborn hitters continue to try to pull the ball against the shift. Develop a little skill and take the bunt base hit down the 3rd base line a couple times, and they will not shift on you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-21-18, 11:56 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,319
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
MLB cannot legislate where defenders need to play. For decades teams have shifted players to the strong side when pull hitters come up. CF moves to right center, etc. They play deeper against sluggers, and shallow against weak hitters. The shift is just smart baseball.

Dumb baseball is when stubborn hitters continue to try to pull the ball against the shift. Develop a little skill and take the bunt base hit down the 3rd base line a couple times, and they will not shift on you.
MLB doesn't want that to happen though.

They want to see the HR and bunting wont come back. Some defenses may even be happy to bait power hitters into a bunt. Still wont be as easy as you think to bunt for a hit.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-22-18, 11:18 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,229
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
MLB doesn't want that to happen though.
That's a shame. IMO, the most interesting players are the ones that will do whatever it takes to win. HRs are nice but I thought MLB was more interesting when every team had one great power hitter and the rest of the lineup was trying to set him up. Now MLB wants 1-9 to be power hitters.

There are always rumors about juicing up the baseballs. If that has ever been true, I would like to see them deaden the ball so contact hitters can make a comeback. That would force pitchers to go back to hitting spots instead of just trying to overpower hitters with big holes in their swings.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-23-18, 02:20 PM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 14,102
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
- 154 game season. Eliminate inter-league play, unless both leagues adopt the same rules.
- Keep the divisions, as is...but everyone play each team 11 times per season.
- I'm okay with keeping the division winners and the wild card game...BUT, home field in every series should go to the team with the better record.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-02-18, 03:41 PM
Maple_City_Fan Maple_City_Fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-02-05
Location: NHS/St. Paul Trophy Case
Posts: 4,171
Maple_City_Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

----Split the season into two seasons. First half and second half winners.
1981 would agree with him, although the Reds were amazingly screwed in that situation.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-05-18, 09:58 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,319
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
That's a shame. IMO, the most interesting players are the ones that will do whatever it takes to win. HRs are nice but I thought MLB was more interesting when every team had one great power hitter and the rest of the lineup was trying to set him up. Now MLB wants 1-9 to be power hitters.

There are always rumors about juicing up the baseballs. If that has ever been true, I would like to see them deaden the ball so contact hitters can make a comeback. That would force pitchers to go back to hitting spots instead of just trying to overpower hitters with big holes in their swings.
Lower the mound. Worked after the dead ball era.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-05-18, 10:04 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,319
thavoice is on a distinguished road
I understand the whole winning the division gets you the advantages but I think they need to change how the postseason is slotted.

100 win Yankees, 97 win A's (in tougher divisions) should not take a back seat to a 91 win team in a lesser division.

95 win cubs and 91 win Rocks should not take a backseat to a 90 win Atlanta team.


I am all for traditional and all, and sure guarantee winning the division gets you in but seed them accordingly.

Comes up in the NFL at times as well when a bad team wins the division and gets a home game.


Just does not jive for me.

I understand why baseball can do it, but for the Cubs/Brewers to play a 1 game to decide the division was to me just idiotic. I understand in baseball you can play everyday so can decide it that way but come one....Head to head doesn't mean anything?


Just doesn't add up for me this postseason. I hate the cubs and I am glad they are out and yeah, they win 1 more game their are golden but they should have received the division by head to head
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help With These Scores (Yes, it's alot!) Yappi Boys Basketball 23 01-05-18 05:56 PM
No Mentor District, when was last time? chidy Wrestling 12 11-11-17 04:02 AM
Game Report: Cleveland Rhodes 58 Cleveland John Adams 26 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 5 09-24-17 06:26 AM
2017 Class - Ohio Chapter of National Wrestling Hall of fame Refman Wrestling 3 09-19-17 12:57 PM
Wadsworth coach John Gramuglia to be enshrined in National Wrestling Hall of Fame Rabyman Wrestling 6 09-04-17 12:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz