Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-19-18, 07:18 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Hall of Fame Boycott

What a load of crap?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nnual-salaries

Is this one of the dumbest things you've ever heard?? And we think current athletes don't get it?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-18, 08:08 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I believe they are angling for better healthcare for NFL players is their end game.

I am not sure what their retirement looks like but before the big time money really started to filter in the league many of these older players didn't make that great of a living.
Old 09-19-18, 08:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I believe they are angling for better healthcare for NFL players is their end game.

I am not sure what their retirement looks like but before the big time money really started to filter in the league many of these older players didn't make that great of a living.
No, they are angling for more money for themselves because the league makes alot of money. This is simple, it's a money grab.

They are contracted employees. They are not part of a traditional "company" the NFL doesn't owe them a thin dime for retirement. Especially hall of fame players who made the most money in their times when they were playing. What a crock.
Old 09-19-18, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
No, they are angling for more money for themselves because the league makes alot of money. This is simple, it's a money grab.
Which explains them calling for lifetime health insurance coverage.

Quote:
They are contracted employees. They are not part of a traditional "company" the NFL doesn't owe them a thin dime for retirement. Especially hall of fame players who made the most money in their times when they were playing. What a crock.
The leagues doesn't owe them anything and they don't owe the league anything. So you shouldn't have a problem with them choosing not to attend the HOF ceremony.
Old 09-19-18, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

Money grab?
Sort of.

Negotiating a long term health insurance plan is really no different than a traditional pension that many employees seek from their employer.

Fact is they are the faces of the HoF. They are asked to do a number of events which I am sure they are compensated for and get expense paid.

On the payroll may have been a very poor choice of words. A little wordsmithing would have put it they want to improve the pensions for retired NFL Players to also include better health coverage which is something most people want when they retire.

Fact is those players take a beating big time. I don't know what their current pension is but to expect better long term health benefits is not unreasonable.

Retired military members and many employees get a pension/health coverage when they retire, why not NFL players?
Old 09-19-18, 09:39 AM
All Yappi

MLB players get lifetime health insurance coverage after 1 game played. Given that football is much more violent than baseball, I think this is definitely something the league should explore. It would help the players and it would help the NFL's image as they continue to try to move towards player's health and safety.
Old 09-19-18, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:

I personally hope they are successful. I also hope your employer thinks youíre doing a good enough job to finally give you a raise for the first time in 5years!
Old 09-19-18, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I personally hope they are successful. I also hope your employer thinks youíre doing a good enough job to finally give you a raise for the first time in 5years!
Shame on Arby's for not giving him a raise in 5 years!
Old 09-19-18, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Money grab?
Sort of.

Retired military members and many employees get a pension/health coverage when they retire, why not NFL players?
Pensions are going extinct. Retirement insurance is worse. Been going on since the 80s. There are the obvious exceptions. No problem with them seeing what they can negotiate for..
Old 09-19-18, 11:27 AM
All World

Quote:
Money grab?
Sort of.

Negotiating a long term health insurance plan is really no different than a traditional pension that many employees seek from their employer.

Fact is they are the faces of the HoF. They are asked to do a number of events which I am sure they are compensated for and get expense paid.

On the payroll may have been a very poor choice of words. A little wordsmithing would have put it they want to improve the pensions for retired NFL Players to also include better health coverage which is something most people want when they retire.

Fact is those players take a beating big time. I don't know what their current pension is but to expect better long term health benefits is not unreasonable.

Are they too good to buy their own health insurance? Lord knows they are better off financially than about 98% of Americans.

Football players take a beating?? Really?? They also have top flight training facilites and a medical staff who puts band aids on them because they can't do it themselves. And for players who attain medicare? Are they too good for medicare?
Please do not compare the retirement of retired military with pro athletes...it's a slap in the face of the military.
Old 09-19-18, 11:29 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
MLB players get lifetime health insurance coverage after 1 game played. Given that football is much more violent than baseball, I think this is definitely something the league should explore. It would help the players and it would help the NFL's image as they continue to try to move towards player's health and safety.
I'd say this is a CBA thing. But for the hall of famers to pout and take their ball home if they don't get healthcare is childish. If I was an NFL owner I'd laugh at them and tell them to go away.
Old 09-19-18, 11:30 AM
All World

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Because you say that EP, I know I'm in the right on this one.
Old 09-19-18, 11:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'd say this is a CBA thing. But for the hall of famers to pout and take their ball home if they don't get healthcare is childish. If I was an NFL owner I'd laugh at them and tell them to go away.
They owe the NFL nothing. Why do they HAVE to attend the ceremony in your mind? Basically you're ok with the NFL doing nothing for the HOF'ers, but not ok with the HOF'ers doing nothing for the NFL. There's a word for that.
Old 09-19-18, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
From a Harvard study....

Quote:
5 MLB, the NBA, and the NHL, unlike the NFL, generally offer health insurance to players for life.
6 Among the Big Four leagues, the retirement plan payments offered by the NFL are the lowest.
https://footballplayershealth.harvar...ec_Summary.pdf

If I were an nfl player, Iíd be looking for something comparable to other sports leagues.
Old 09-19-18, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Are they too good to buy their own health insurance? Lord knows they are better off financially than about 98% of Americans.

Football players take a beating?? Really?? They also have top flight training facilites and a medical staff who puts band aids on them because they can't do it themselves. And for players who attain medicare? Are they too good for medicare?
Please do not compare the retirement of retired military with pro athletes...it's a slap in the face of the military.
If one has leverage to use then why not try and get health care coverage for retiree's? Top notch care when they are playing doesn't mean TBI's will be fine when they are older.

PLus, many older NFL players didn't get that sort of care nor that type of salary. He is talking about the HOFers but he is angling for all former NFL players for health care.

I say go for it...try and get it for the masses.

NFL players are an elite groupl Less than 2,000 are active in a given year and not everyone can do what it takes to make it.

In terms of the military.......at the end of the day that is their job. Just like teachers. Cops. Firemen. Factory workers. If you can negotiate through your CBA for pay, retirement and health care then there is no reason NOT to try.