Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-19-18, 07:18 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,892
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Hall of Fame Boycott

What a load of crap?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nnual-salaries

Is this one of the dumbest things you've ever heard?? And we think current athletes don't get it?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-19-18, 08:08 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,720
thavoice is on a distinguished road
I believe they are angling for better healthcare for NFL players is their end game.

I am not sure what their retirement looks like but before the big time money really started to filter in the league many of these older players didn't make that great of a living.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-18, 08:53 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,892
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I believe they are angling for better healthcare for NFL players is their end game.

I am not sure what their retirement looks like but before the big time money really started to filter in the league many of these older players didn't make that great of a living.
No, they are angling for more money for themselves because the league makes alot of money. This is simple, it's a money grab.

They are contracted employees. They are not part of a traditional "company" the NFL doesn't owe them a thin dime for retirement. Especially hall of fame players who made the most money in their times when they were playing. What a crock.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-18, 09:13 AM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 15,273
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
No, they are angling for more money for themselves because the league makes alot of money. This is simple, it's a money grab.
Which explains them calling for lifetime health insurance coverage.

Quote:
They are contracted employees. They are not part of a traditional "company" the NFL doesn't owe them a thin dime for retirement. Especially hall of fame players who made the most money in their times when they were playing. What a crock.
The leagues doesn't owe them anything and they don't owe the league anything. So you shouldn't have a problem with them choosing not to attend the HOF ceremony.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-18, 09:25 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,720
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Money grab?
Sort of.

Negotiating a long term health insurance plan is really no different than a traditional pension that many employees seek from their employer.

Fact is they are the faces of the HoF. They are asked to do a number of events which I am sure they are compensated for and get expense paid.

On the payroll may have been a very poor choice of words. A little wordsmithing would have put it they want to improve the pensions for retired NFL Players to also include better health coverage which is something most people want when they retire.

Fact is those players take a beating big time. I don't know what their current pension is but to expect better long term health benefits is not unreasonable.

Retired military members and many employees get a pension/health coverage when they retire, why not NFL players?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-18, 09:39 AM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 15,273
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
MLB players get lifetime health insurance coverage after 1 game played. Given that football is much more violent than baseball, I think this is definitely something the league should explore. It would help the players and it would help the NFL's image as they continue to try to move towards player's health and safety.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-18, 09:44 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,265
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
No, they are angling for more money for themselves because the league makes alot of money. This is simple, it's a money grab.

They are contracted employees. They are not part of a traditional "company" the NFL doesn't owe them a thin dime for retirement. Especially hall of fame players who made the most money in their times when they were playing. What a crock.
I personally hope they are successful. I also hope your employer thinks youíre doing a good enough job to finally give you a raise for the first time in 5years!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-18, 09:54 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,720
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I personally hope they are successful. I also hope your employer thinks youíre doing a good enough job to finally give you a raise for the first time in 5years!
Shame on Arby's for not giving him a raise in 5 years!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-18, 11:26 AM
Southwest Guy Southwest Guy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-05-02
Posts: 13,590
Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Money grab?
Sort of.

Retired military members and many employees get a pension/health coverage when they retire, why not NFL players?
Pensions are going extinct. Retirement insurance is worse. Been going on since the 80s. There are the obvious exceptions. No problem with them seeing what they can negotiate for..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-18, 11:27 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,892
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Money grab?
Sort of.

Negotiating a long term health insurance plan is really no different than a traditional pension that many employees seek from their employer.

Fact is they are the faces of the HoF. They are asked to do a number of events which I am sure they are compensated for and get expense paid.

On the payroll may have been a very poor choice of words. A little wordsmithing would have put it they want to improve the pensions for retired NFL Players to also include better health coverage which is something most people want when they retire.

Fact is those players take a beating big time. I don't know what their current pension is but to expect better long term health benefits is not unreasonable.

Retired military members and many employees get a pension/health coverage when they retire, why not NFL players?
Are they too good to buy their own health insurance? Lord knows they are better off financially than about 98% of Americans.

Football players take a beating?? Really?? They also have top flight training facilites and a medical staff who puts band aids on them because they can't do it themselves. And for players who attain medicare? Are they too good for medicare?
Please do not compare the retirement of retired military with pro athletes...it's a slap in the face of the military.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-18, 11:29 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,892
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
MLB players get lifetime health insurance coverage after 1 game played. Given that football is much more violent than baseball, I think this is definitely something the league should explore. It would help the players and it would help the NFL's image as they continue to try to move towards player's health and safety.
I'd say this is a CBA thing. But for the hall of famers to pout and take their ball home if they don't get healthcare is childish. If I was an NFL owner I'd laugh at them and tell them to go away.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-18, 11:30 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,892
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I personally hope they are successful. I also hope your employer thinks youíre doing a good enough job to finally give you a raise for the first time in 5years!
Because you say that EP, I know I'm in the right on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-19-18, 11:37 AM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 15,273
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I'd say this is a CBA thing. But for the hall of famers to pout and take their ball home if they don't get healthcare is childish. If I was an NFL owner I'd laugh at them and tell them to go away.
They owe the NFL nothing. Why do they HAVE to attend the ceremony in your mind? Basically you're ok with the NFL doing nothing for the HOF'ers, but not ok with the HOF'ers doing nothing for the NFL. There's a word for that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-19-18, 11:39 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,265
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
From a Harvard study....

Quote:
5 MLB, the NBA, and the NHL, unlike the NFL, generally offer health insurance to players for life.
6 Among the Big Four leagues, the retirement plan payments offered by the NFL are the lowest.
https://footballplayershealth.harvar...ec_Summary.pdf

If I were an nfl player, Iíd be looking for something comparable to other sports leagues.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-19-18, 11:46 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,720
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Are they too good to buy their own health insurance? Lord knows they are better off financially than about 98% of Americans.

Football players take a beating?? Really?? They also have top flight training facilites and a medical staff who puts band aids on them because they can't do it themselves. And for players who attain medicare? Are they too good for medicare?
Please do not compare the retirement of retired military with pro athletes...it's a slap in the face of the military.
If one has leverage to use then why not try and get health care coverage for retiree's? Top notch care when they are playing doesn't mean TBI's will be fine when they are older.

PLus, many older NFL players didn't get that sort of care nor that type of salary. He is talking about the HOFers but he is angling for all former NFL players for health care.

I say go for it...try and get it for the masses.

NFL players are an elite groupl Less than 2,000 are active in a given year and not everyone can do what it takes to make it.

In terms of the military.......at the end of the day that is their job. Just like teachers. Cops. Firemen. Factory workers. If you can negotiate through your CBA for pay, retirement and health care then there is no reason NOT to try.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don Hertler Jr. Selected For Football Coaches Associationís Hall of Fame Mackinbiner Football 8 07-11-18 09:56 PM
Fourteen Individuals Set to Enter OHSAA Officials Hall of Fame Yappi Football 5 03-28-18 09:19 AM
Canton's Tom Benson Stadium construction cost surges to $80 Million DaveDawg Football 2116 12-18-17 03:04 PM
Coach McCoy inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Pantherontheporch Elder Panthers 5 10-16-17 01:56 PM
2017 Class - Ohio Chapter of National Wrestling Hall of fame Refman Wrestling 3 09-19-17 12:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz