Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-27-18, 12:45 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Bazley Decides Not to Play In G League

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...rt/1109794002/

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-18, 01:01 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
This kid is getting some seriously bad "advice" with his career--back out on OSU and Syracuse and now turn down the chance to get better by facing competition in the G League who also wants to play in the NBA--all to just "work out" on his time schedule--for his sake I hope it works out, but....
Old 08-27-18, 01:21 PM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Rich Paul (his agent) is an idiot. He's the guy that got LeBron suspended in high school for "selling" (aka getting free) throwback jerseys. The only reason he is a big time agent is because of his Cleveland ties with LBJ. The only good thing he's ever done is fleece the Cavs into overpaying for Tristan and JR (if you call that good).

Decommitting from both OSU and Syracuse were both stupid moves in the first place, but at least he would be playing competitive basketball (against guys who have close to NBA talent at least) in the G league. Now he is going to "train" for a year with his buddies instead? This guy has all the talent in the world and it sucks that it's (probably) all going to go to waste in the end. This guy needs to dump his inner circle and find new people that have his best interest in mind and not the best interest of their pockets.
Old 08-27-18, 02:44 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
It is very sad to see such a talented kid get bamboozled. Obviously college wasn’t in the cards (from what reports have said meeting the NCAA standards would have been an issue) but to skip the next viable option really makes no sense.
Old 08-29-18, 07:14 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
There was a published article a couple of weeks ago that indicated the NBA scouts were less than impressed with his showing at the Nike Basketball Academy.

Apparently this had a lot to do with the decision.

I'm hoping that this isn't another example of adults making bad choices at the expense of a young man's future. It's hard, after looking at the entire situation, to not begin to think that way.
Old 08-29-18, 10:45 AM
All Region

vikes 87 is on a distinguished road
I tought he was over rated to begin with .ugly looking shot and need to add 20 lbs
Old 08-29-18, 07:28 PM
All Region

yossarian is on a distinguished road
I know it may be too late for him to go junior college or even be picked up by another college D1-D3 even b/c it sounds like he signed with an agent.
I felt like I heard that within the new NCAA rules you could sign with an agent but return to college if you weren't signed.

Again, I don't know if this rule is in effect yet or just being discussed but are there other options for him or does he just wait a year?

Or maybe even try overseas?
Old 08-29-18, 11:31 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
The rule isn't in affect yet. It was widely known that he paid absolutely no attention to his academics while in high school. Some officials within the Princeton School District saw him as their Lebron and failed him. Got a few bucks off of getting invites to different showcases and ended up making it on national television for a game.

In return...kicked out of the playoffs, De-committed from Ohio State, De-committed from Syracuse, De-committed to the G-League and will soon be an afterthought.
Old 08-30-18, 06:21 AM
Junior Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
There was a published article a couple of weeks ago that indicated the NBA scouts were less than impressed with his showing at the Nike Basketball Academy.

Apparently this had a lot to do with the decision.

I'm hoping that this isn't another example of adults making bad choices at the expense of a young man's future. It's hard, after looking at the entire situation, to not begin to think that way.
What do you mean "you hope"??? You know it flat-out is!

Perhaps his adults should have pushed him to study just a tad so he could qualify and play for jim boeheim.

He'll never see the NBA
Old 08-30-18, 07:38 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
What kind of “group/inner circle” encourages a young man to not have an income or go to college? This has become a recipe for disaster for this young man!
Old 08-30-18, 07:49 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
I know the NBA has recently started to make a lot of noise about identifying some top high school players and giving them an option other than the NCAA. It wasn't a clearly defined plan, but you could see that, with the G League already in place, it would be a natural place to start. I was always a little leery thinking that at some point, to make this work, the league/players/agents/etc. would have to push some kids in that direction to be sacrificial lambs. If that's the case, then shame on the NBA and especially shame on Rich Paul for putting the interests of the league (and likely the interests of future high school BB players) over the interests of Bazley.
Old 08-30-18, 08:44 AM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ck/1142413002/

"Jim Boeheim was looking forward to Darius Bazley becoming a Syracuse basketball star. Now that he apparently won't play for the Orange or in the NBA G League in advance of the 2019 NBA Draft, Boeheim isn't sure the former Princeton High School standout will be selected in the draft's first round.

Boeheim and NBA scouts are in agreement that Bazley should have gone to Syracuse as he apparently had planned, according to a report from flohoops.com's Adam Zagoria.

"That always helps," Boeheim said Monday by phone. "You see any freshman that comes in, like we had Malachi [Richardson] and Tyler Ennis. When they have a good freshman year and their college team wins; that's a big advantage when you get an opportunity to move into the NBA.

"Now they'll have nothing to look at except the McDonald's Game and the limited games he played. I think he's got tremendous upside, but I think it will cost him. I think he could've moved into the first round with a good college year. I don't know if he can be a first-round pick now. They've got nothing to go by."

"I was very disappointed he didn't go to Syracuse," one NBA scout said."

Nailed it!!
Old 08-30-18, 09:57 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
https://nypost.com/2018/07/14/mitche...re-draft-ploy/

You have to wonder if Mitchell Robinson's journey has influenced Bazley in any way.
Old 08-30-18, 12:41 PM
Junior Varsity

At the end of the day, what it flat comes down to, is these kids are afraid to play and not be good enough. Be it at college or NBA DL.

They wanna HANG on the hope of being labeled a 1st rounder and do nothing to damage that label, afraid to challenge and better themselves.

SHame on the adults
Old 08-30-18, 02:40 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Did anyone watch him in any game the past few years and say Wow? Sure he had talent but the times I watched he never took over a game to a point he really amazed me with his skills. Other very good players, but not "NBA talent", always seemed to shine whenever I'd get a chance to watch them. Many of those guys were 2-3* recruits who were looking to play at schools such as UD or in the MAC.
Old 08-31-18, 04:04 PM
All District

satriani is on a distinguished road
I'm sure there were adults that misled this kid but I think kids are given free passes too often in situations like this. If his academics were not where they needed to be and if the previous post was true (he paid no attention to his academics) then the kid has to take some responsibility too. I'm sure there were high school coaches, college coaches, AAU coaches, former players, etc. that counseled him to make sure he spent the time on his grades to qualify. Everyone who interfaced with him wasn't a negative influence, perhaps he just didn't want to hear it? I think he played for OBC at one time on Dan Urban's team. Dan, I'm absolutely positive, stressed the importance of academics.

Now the kid is 'all in' on a pro career and if that doesn't pan out, will be another opportunity lost. I'll feel badly if that turns out to be the case but don't keep making excuses for the kid (and those like him), eventually they'll have to be productive in society based upon the choices they make - can't always find someone else to blame for your individual circumstances.
Old 09-01-18, 01:09 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Europe beckons.
Old 09-01-18, 09:32 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
-- High school senior players who go on to play NCAA men`s basketball: Less than one in 35, or 2.9 percent. -- NCAA senior players drafted by an NBA team: Less than one in 75, or 1.3 percent. -- High school senior players eventually drafted by an NBA team: About three in 10,000, or 0.03 percent.

For those athletes (and parents!) who feel sports are a way to NBA riches rather than a way to an education, the harsh reality is the odds are stacked against in a BIG way. Too many opportunities lost on a pipe dream.
Old 09-01-18, 11:01 AM
All Region

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
This kid is getting some seriously bad "advice" with his career--back out on OSU and Syracuse and now turn down the chance to get better by facing competition in the G League who also wants to play in the NBA--all to just "work out" on his time schedule--for his sake I hope it works out, but....
Hey Comet, I went to the Princeton vs Pickerington game at the Flyin to the Hoop last year. Bazely and Princeton (except for the athletic guy who hustled his butt off) were dominated on offense and defense. Bazely was matched up with the IU recruit. Mismatch city.
Old 09-01-18, 11:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Did anyone watch him in any game the past few years and say Wow? Sure he had talent but the times I watched he never took over a game to a point he really amazed me with his skills. Other very good players, but not "NBA talent", always seemed to shine whenever I'd get a chance to watch them. Many of those guys were 2-3* recruits who were looking to play at schools such as UD or in the MAC.
The IU recruit from Pick Central dominated Bazley, at Flyin to the Hoop. At one point he was walking (literally) to get back on D.
Old 09-02-18, 01:05 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Anybody know where this young man is “ working on his craft” at? In Cincinnati or another part of the country?
Old 09-02-18, 02:56 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Too many people think they are experts and can blaze a new path to instant riches and stardom. Most likely the last we've heard of him as a basketball player.
Old 09-02-18, 07:42 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Really sad, talented young man, would have struggled to get more than 10 minutes per game at Syracuse or OSU next season but it would have been in his best interests to be at either place.
Old 09-04-18, 07:54 AM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
The IU recruit from Pick Central dominated Bazley, at Flyin to the Hoop. At one point he was walking (literally) to get back on D.
Sounds like a coaching problem at Princeton. Should have been sitting on the bench until his effort was acceptable.
Old 09-06-18, 05:07 PM
All Region

I thought that game may be the game of the day. It was not even close.
Old 09-06-18, 05:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Sounds like a coaching problem at Princeton. Should have been sitting on the bench until his effort was acceptable.
Old 09-10-18, 12:35 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
Its my impression he at least did not START more than a couple games this year. Not sure if it was related to this or not. But..AAU coach = AAU culture.
Old 09-11-18, 12:52 PM
All Ohio

voice_of_reason is on a distinguished road
Wow, I read so many harsh criticisms of the kid and those who are working with him. I am going to take the other side.

Is he any different than a high school graduate that goes to a trade school to be an X-Ray Technician or a plumber?

College is not for everyone!
And the G League is full of grown men that we all agree are way bigger and stronger than he is.

So what is the difference between Bazley and your favorite college QB who won't throw at the combine?

You say the QB has nothing to prove, when in fact what you are really saying is, he doesn't want to expose his weaknesses.

Well maybe Darius knows these things and knows he needs to put on weight and hid until the NBA pre-draft camps.
Old 09-11-18, 01:23 PM
Junior Varsity

Those HS graduates get jobs!

He doesn't have job. Now he doesn't have a free education. Even if a guy plays at a college for 4 years and doesn't go to NFL or NBA, they still get a cushy job from alumni. He doesn't have that either.

The Qb and the combine: pretty sure everyone thinks the guy who avoids the combine is afraid to perform or run a 40 or bench. That's no secret.
Old 09-12-18, 06:17 AM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by voice_of_reason View Post
Wow, I read so many harsh criticisms of the kid and those who are working with him. I am going to take the other side.

Is he any different than a high school graduate that goes to a trade school to be an X-Ray Technician or a plumber?

College is not for everyone!
And the G League is full of grown men that we all agree are way bigger and stronger than he is.

So what is the difference between Bazley and your favorite college QB who won't throw at the combine?

You say the QB has nothing to prove, when in fact what you are really saying is, he doesn't want to expose his weaknesses.

Well maybe Darius knows these things and knows he needs to put on weight and hid until the NBA pre-draft camps.
1. Yes, this is nothing like going to a trade school out of high school. If we are going to use that comparison, then Bazley is going from high school to working at his grandfather's electrical company for a year and then trying to get a job at General Electric afterwards with no degree or formal training, bypassing the educational system.

2. The G League is full of grown men? Of course it is!!! Who do you think plays in the NBA???? The G League is closer to any sort of NBA level competition (including size and speed of players) than any other level of basketball there is. Him training with his buddies who are his size or smaller will not get him ready for the physicality of the NBA. This kid is going from playing 25 high school games a year to 82 NBA games with a rigorous travelling schedule, back to backs, and little sleep. Why do you think even the best player in the world (LBJ) asked to take days off? It's not easy.

3. The difference between Bazley and the college QB scenario is that the college QB WENT TO COLLEGE AND EARNED THE RIGHT NOT TO THROW AT THE COMBINE. You rarely see QBs projected as late round picks not throw at the combine, usually it's the guaranteed top QBs (And some of them still throw.)

4. What college player doesn't need to put on weight before entering the league? That's such a terrible excuse for skipping college. At Syracuse, he can have as much as he wants to eat and lock himself in the gym and the weight room. Do you really think he's going to care about academics? I'm sure Syracuse has plenty of people who will take care of that for him.

Could you imagine if this happened at any other level in any other sport? It's honestly a sad situation IMO

The closest thing I can think of is Bryce Harper graduating from high school early to enroll at a JUCO in order to get drafted number 1 overall at age 17. HOWEVER, the difference is that everyone knew Harper was legit since he was 15 years old. The jury is still out on Bazley. From what everyone is saying, he isn't as good as he thinks he is......