Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-06-18, 12:29 PM
All District

Iluvftball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post

Speaking of Williams who visited Notre Dame last weekend missed last weeks game and was missed by his absence . Not sure of his status but they need him out there at his outside LB spot .
He was on Concussion protocol. I spoke to him at Scioto game Thursday.
Just few comments about that game Harry. Scioto do not get the ball to their best 2 players at all in the first quarter. IMO the first drive you give NA a heavy dose of them. DBs were playing 8 yards off of them. Couple screens and a couple hitches, TD. SMH. 2 middle runs and a dump pass to RB on first drive. Geesh
Then in 2nd quarter you feed them the ball 5 plays later TD. Then you go back to running up the middle. Give a team what they fear until they prove they can stop. Football 101. The main thing that pissed me off is those 2 had 7 touches. 7! What team do you know that goes completely away from 2 athletic speed guys that can give alot of teams fits in space. I am still clueless to that gane plan. On to Week 3.
Old 09-06-18, 02:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Killer Nut is on a distinguished road
Harry, you are the Todd Blackledge of central Ohio football. I like your mention of establishments to enjoy a meal and adult beverage. Liberty Tavern, 101 Beer Kitchen and Benny's Pizza are much better choices than BW's, Roosters or the other chains.
Old 09-06-18, 02:43 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Benny's is awesome . I mention that whenever I can and have turned many on to it with zero negative reviews. Great place when it's nice out to sit outside and have Pizza and Beer . But I love bringing it home as well .

I live by the adage that life is too short to drink cheap beer or booze. I don't mind paying a few bucks more for better food as well , but Roosters and the like have their place as well. My daughter loves their wings so I have been there over the years but also have skipped a few stops there as well when possible lol .
Old 09-06-18, 02:53 PM
All World

I hear you LFootball , I agree with your assessments . Thought they would be crisper on offense and were capable of outscoring them if need be .

Missed tackles and guys thinking too much it appeared not reacting. That being said NA is a bit of a biotich to play aren't they? You don't see what they do and it's tough to react naturally when you see spread variations most weeks. Get back on track this week vs Big Nut and get after Jerome who may be worn out after playing PN { Tough emotional loss} and Coffman {Emotional physical game win or lose} back to back the next week.

I thought that was the case with Williams as he looked to have no visible physical injury. Hope he can go this week .
Old 09-06-18, 04:20 PM
All World

Week 3 continued

Coffman at Jerome - LP Line DC - 1

Louie has it at a coin flip . Jerome gained confidence certainly but did the game and the disappointing gut wrenching result leave them a little depleted in their emotional tank? Wasn't a physical running game heavy affair, so not exactly feeling as sore as you would after playing a Davidson for example .

that's is the physical aspect though , the emotional toll and juice that left the tank and has to be filled may be a tough task but I think Jerome will have some juice left for this one. Coffman -Gahanna wasn't exactly the Holy War from a physical standpoint either.

Keys to the game for Coffman besides trying to match the emotional level that little brother may bring, include Not kicking the ball out of bounds on the kick-off . Field position will be crucial as it often is in this type of game that is fairly evenly matched. Punt protection was shaky on two occasions with one being blocked that led to a 6 yard scoring drive.

Ball security was shaky as well and the team who takes care of the ball better will likely win. Coffman O-lineman need better pad level { Lower} and need to bend and finish blocks, if they are poor in this area the run game will be stagnant . If they can run even somewhat effectively I feel they will be able to take some shots downfield and hit a couple and their chance for victory rises.

Secondary needs to step up and play their best game vs this passing game. IF Rocks can stop the run I feel they will do better in the secondary and make some plays . Jerome will play to stop the run first and that will make it easier match-up wise in the secondary .

Coffman has to use their speed and their big guys need to give them space. On Defense they need to tackle well and not give up the amount of bigger plays that Pick North gave up . Basically to win the Rocks need to be good in all phases . Special teams need to be solid, they have been spectacular at times and shaky at times, so steady is sufficient here. If the Rocks are even in the field position and turnover department I feel they have enough to get the W from a personnel match-up dynamic.

Jerome needs to play as hard as they can and they really take pride in that as well and play with more energy and try to duplicate their offensive output from last week .

Fairly even match-up , Rocks need to play with a little edge and emotion and try to find advantageous match-ups in their spread game and be disciplined on defense and on special teams .

I like the Rocks in a close one here. Coffman 20 Jerome 16

If the Rocks win by more than a point and I cash I head to the relatively new ' The Avenue " in Old Dublin and start with a Woodford reserve Double Oak whiskey and order the Steak Bites from the Happy hour menu . and what goes good with that is a Creamed spinach side order with possibly an Appetizer of the Parmesan green Beans .
Old 09-06-18, 05:10 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Good analysis Stiv. I think DC/DJ matchup is setting up to be a much better game than most (certainly I) were/was expecting a few weeks ago. As tough as the Pick North loss was, I think it had to be a confidence builder as much an emotional crusher for them. Jerome definitely matches up against North better than they would have with Central, but being able to play with North should give the Celts the confidence they can play with probably everyone else in the 614.

Gecewich has wanted this matchup for a long time....and hasn't been quiet about it. He is a very good football coach and he'll have Jerome ready. In the end, maybe they don't have the 22 vs. 22 talent to match up with Coffman and probably not the depth either, but he'll have them believing they can run through brick walls.

I like Coffman by a touchdown, close to what you suggest. Things could get away from them (Jerome), but I think if turnovers are even its a 24-17 type score. Hopefully it stays dry. Should be a terrific atmosphere. I'm probably going to flip a coin to decide between attending this one and the Davidson/Bradley tilt.
Old 09-06-18, 05:38 PM
All World

Week 3 cont.

Lancaster at Darby - LP Line HD - 5

Interesting game I think there will be some point scored in this one . Lancaster is bigger up front and will run the ball setting up some possible throws down field ? Are times going to change down there? Darby ? They moved it vs a rebuilding Olentangy defense but not so much at all vs. a stout experienced Davidson team. I think Lancaster can stay with them in this one , Darby has some weapons but I think both teams can get to the 20's and I will grab the points here. Gaels may have to score late to cover on the road but I think the 5 points may come in handy . May be not as high scoring as may be there will be a couple clock churning drives?

Darby 24 - Lancaster 20 I will have to refrain from offering a dining and drink spot with the spread covering Lancaster team. I have never had a meal or even a snack or beer in Lancaster .
Old 09-06-18, 06:55 PM
All World

Yeah I think sometimes it's hard to not react to recent results when evaluating a match-up. But styles make fights as we all know. PC as you correctly said is a bad match-up for Jerome, PN with their less physical pitch and catch style wasn't so much.

PN without a run game that hurt Jerome wasn't able to put them away or bleed the clock enough to shorten the game and Jerome's opportunity's to make the plays in the passing game. Eventually PN it seemed was able to put enough pressure on the passer and got some sacks and then the Pick at the end of the game to preserve the win.

Coffman does not have PN'S array of pass catching weapons , they have some talent no question , but NO ONE has the two tight ends PN has and then the wide outs and slot type athletes they have . I mean they have 6 legit studs to get the ball to and then other good players can step in . Embarrassment of riches at the skill positions and they get back the trigger man .

Jerome took advantage of PN's overconfidence when they went up two times by two scores. North will be more talented on the offensive side of the ball than anyone they play . 4 year varsity QB with those weapons? Cut the crap .

I think the Rocks should win here but they will have to earn it and pay a price . they will have to keep playing hard for 4 quarters because that's what Jerome is expected to do and will do
Old 09-07-18, 04:00 AM
All World

Got the first win out of the way as Central Crossing was impressive handling Grove City who is a year away from being competitive I games like this. CC with too much size and strength for a young GC team . OCC Central teams will have to be ready to play vs CC , they have a nice team, improved from last year , I am surprised they lost to Marion Franklin .

Week 3 cont.

Westerville Central at Eastmoor LP Line WC - 10

Both teams have had some easy games with no heavy lifting. WC was pushed a bit by Whitehall , but pushed around a young GC team last week. Saw a bit of WC when they scrimmaged Coffman. Kids sat out that night and with weird numbers and kind of a blah night it was hard to gather too much . BUT , WC, the house that Drake built " is a nice team with an agile QB and some nice weapons , with a really good defensive player Dontay Hunter who was in the Rocks backfield frequently in that scrimmage . WC not exactly taking on the iron so far. Eastmoor has athletes and tradition , but is depth shy in this type of match-up . They should score at some point .

Eastie pounded poor St. Chazz Osbourne the thuuuurd last week sending them to bed without their pudding . MUMMY wasn't too pleased with young Chazz. This game will be a stark contrast to what Eastie has seen to date. Mr. Hunter will be like a cross between Bruce Smith { Showing my age yes} and JJ Watt { If helathy lol} and I see Davis throwing for another 250 here, Might be competitive for a spell but

WC 35 Eastmoor 14 If I get the cover with WC I would take my few shillings to the Uptown Deli and Brew in Uptown Westy.

Start with some calamari strips may be , order the Paesano sandwich and wash it down with a Corbins revenge pale ale.
Old 09-07-18, 07:24 AM
All World

Week 3 cont.

Winton Woods at Upper Arlington LP Line WW - 10

Winton Woods I beleive is sort of a magnet school ? HS a somewhat wider swath of real estate in which to get talent? Not sure may be someone knows ? Anyway they have the talent and swagger that usually goes with it . No shame in losing by 10 to Trotty M. Blew out W Clermont by 4 scores .

UA was a bit softer on defense than they were in eeek one vs. R- burg . Findlay likes to go up tempo and gets folks to play at that speed . UA will have to be more disciplined and tackle better or it could be a long night . I think they will . Slamming Sammy Sass an announcer with a lisp” s nightmare is coming along nicely as he has a nice number of starts under his belt at this point .

Nice RB some size on the Oline and a couple weapons gives UA potential to be a good offensive team . They had a terrible time trying to move in on R- burg forbthevgirstv42?minutes. Are they going to have that trouble again ? I think at times they might’. Don’t know too much about Winton Woods but I think they may have a bit too much here .

I will have to refrain once again from endorsing an eatery although in club soccer journeys I could have eaten at a place in the Winton Woods area I can’t know for sure . WW gets the cover

WW 31 UA 17
Old 09-07-18, 08:42 AM
Varsity

cover24 is on a distinguished road
I take minor issue with WC being the "House that Drake Built".. Drake fancied up the place, but I see Central as the "House that Cody Kondas Built".

Thanks for the weekly reading! It seems that central Ohio hs football interest is fading away since the loss of JJ.
Old 09-07-18, 10:35 AM
All World

You are right , Drake came along after he saw what the QB could do in that system and Cody did a great job.

Week 3 cont.

West South Ibbies at Ye Olde Tommy W LP Line WS -7

YOTW up 21-0 in the second quarter and a sure cover for me I thought . YOTW turnaround has been swift. Scoring twice in a game used to be cause to hang a banner. They started scoring last year as if they were on the high school football version of Barry Bonds “ workout” regimen circa early 2000’s .

Alas they are still Tommy W and lost eventually 35-30 . Tough to lose to West’s North when up 21-0. Or it used to be . The Ibbies have gained a devilish 666 yards in their first two games . Got “ New Albanied “ in game 1 gaining yardage without scoring much , and were a missed 30 something yard FG in OT from losing to Kilbourne. Some things never change and the Ibbies being athletic is one of those things.

YOTW adheres to the old Patrick Ewing adage . “ We make a lot of money but we spend a lot too “ Theirs is a bit different . We can score some points now but we give up some too.

This dynamic makes me choose the more athletically deep Ibbies .

Westy IB 38 YOTW 23

Seeing as I already listed a Westerville eatery I will mention another one in the recent visit chain variety and save a better spot for later .

Max and Ermas and mini golf after recently
Started with soft pretzels and queso had my favorite sauté mushroom and Swiss burger some tortilla soup and a chocolate chip cookie . Didn’t have an adult bev this trip but I recvomend the Rum Punch orva loaded Long Island Iced tea
Old 09-07-18, 10:42 AM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Week 3 cont.

Winton Woods at Upper Arlington LP Line WW - 10

Winton Woods I beleive is sort of a magnet school ? HS a somewhat wider swath of real estate in which to get talent? Not sure may be someone knows ? Anyway they have the talent and swagger that usually goes with it . No shame in losing by 10 to Trotty M. Blew out W Clermont by 4 scores .

UA was a bit softer on defense than they were in eeek one vs. R- burg . Findlay likes to go up tempo and gets folks to play at that speed . UA will have to be more disciplined and tackle better or it could be a long night . I think they will . Slamming Sammy Sass an announcer with a lisp” s nightmare is coming along nicely as he has a nice number of starts under his belt at this point .

Nice RB some size on the Oline and a couple weapons gives UA potential to be a good offensive team . They had a terrible time trying to move in on R- burg forbthevgirstv42?minutes. Are they going to have that trouble again ? I think at times they might’. Don’t know too much about Winton Woods but I think they may have a bit too much here .

I will have to refrain once again from endorsing an eatery although in club soccer journeys I could have eaten at a place in the Winton Woods area I can’t know for sure . WW gets the cover

WW 31 UA 17
Game is at UA.
Old 09-07-18, 11:00 AM
All World

I know as I note at the top but I include a spot from the place of the team I have winning and or covering the Louie line . I have WW winning and covering
Old 09-07-18, 11:20 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cover24 View Post
I take minor issue with WC being the "House that Drake Built".. Drake fancied up the place, but I see Central as the "House that Cody Kondas Built".
Wow! Thanks for the trip in the Wayback machine. I hadn't thought of Kondas in years. #CK11 . He was a B-E-A-S-T. Not many QB's play bothways at this level, let alone play MIDDLE LINEBACKER on defense.
Old 09-07-18, 02:30 PM
All World

Week 3 cont.

Last game in the area I will predict is PC - Trotty Madison

Pick C at Trotty M - LP Line PC- 2

Revenge motive , may be PC hasn't been tested as well as they thought they might be but the Game vs the smaller Chicago team was close for a half or close for 23 minutes that is. That team had legit speed and talent . They just didn't have the depth and strength and the ridiculous humidity of that day wilted them something fierce. it was like listening to a song on an old record player that had been turned to that slower speed .

Molasses legs were evident . PC got stronger and went for the kill as they sensed their discomfort like a good fighter does. PC is a veteran fighter that knows how to go to the body then upstairs when the hands start to drop. It was a quick sudden Knockout , but in football you have to finish the fight somehow. You may get some shots in but both teams know what's up .

PC is wanting to avenge their loss last year and they are equipped to do it but it won't be easy . PC is slightly better I believe . Trotty not as strong in some key areas . I think PC QB is the difference in this one . He's a player who can cover for a not quite gelling O-line . Enough athletes and the defensive line will take care of business .

PC 21 Trotty 13

If the Tigers cover and I cash my ticket , breakfast will be had at the Olde Village Diner where I will get the 2 x 2 x 2- 2 Pancakes 2 eggs over easy , 2 pieces of bacon and a side of home-fries. Also remember liking the Blueberry pancakes there .

It's close to go time . Big weekend for some teams as the early play-off possibilities start to take shape or deflate.

Unfortunate weather forecast that hopefully will be a bit wrong, but a lot of interest here in the Northwest quadrant of the City in Hilliard and Dublin.

Both Jerome and Davidson High schools should be buzzing and full of some electricity . Hopefully the rain doesn't hurt the crowds too much although it might inevitably.

Big stage for the kids in the community ,. Enjoy it , look around and soak it in . Great opportunity to show your stuff . Take advantage of it . Be secure in your preparation and play with enthusiasm and passion. full effort for 6-8 seconds at a time and go to the next play.

As coaches may suggest, You know what to do , now can you do it going 100 MPH ? Use the athletic ability you've been blessed with fellas .

Good luck and health to all teams and hopefully we don't get too wet. GO ROCKS
Old 09-08-18, 03:54 AM
All Ohio

OCC GUY is an unknown quantity at this point
So far I am liking the way we are looking. It's early in the season, but it appears Pick North and Davidson are the real big games remaining. But as always, one game at a time.
Old 09-08-18, 11:28 AM
All World

It was a 'BIG" win , but not a 'HUGE" win is the way I think about last nights effort. if anyone says they saw what happened in the second half coming , they are telling a Whopper .

I text what I am thinking as I watch from time to time . What I was thinking and already pretty much knew, when the teams come on the field , Jerome had a bit more energy may be , but Coffman won the eye test . They were bigger and had a few more athletes .

Game got underway and Coffman got a quick three and out and got the ball and started moving it right away . Got down to about the 32 of Jerome and mishandled the zone read hand off giving the ball back to Jerome .

It was fairly obvious that Jerome was going to throw deep rainbows down the sideline and try to make big plays. It was evident they didn't think they could consistently run the ball vs. Coffman.

They hit one of these big plays and finished the drive with a nice roll out , make like he was going to run throw to the back of the end zone 10 yard pass on third down 7-0 Celts .

Crowd was impressive, Coffman student section was huge. Not much room for oldsters, parents and other fans on that side . Saw many Coffman fans who were on the Home side including me. I like to watch from up higher so sometimes if a home side is significantly higher I go there in road games.

Rocks got the ball back and moved it well culminating in a different 'Wildcat " look with Drennan playing the untamed beast. He plays that role well like he does most roles . He scored running with purpose and power. No real need to say good feet, his are as good as any.

Now I know there was trash talk especially early , and I know there was some taunting so when Mike scored he has something to say after taking a few hard hits from multiple people the previous two plays and the jawing that ensued. He taunted back after the score and got TWO unsportsmanlike conduct penalties . 7-7 very early 2nd quarter

Coffman kicked off from what looked like 15 ? I couldn't quite see from where I was, but it was odd. Anyway the Rocks held after the Celts started at the 45 . Rocks had an impressive drive where they seemed like they were taking a bit of control of the game and about mid quarter were deep in the red zone. Drennan got it inside the 2 where the Rocks had a second and goal.

The next play call irked me and always does in this part of the field. They weren't in the wildcat this trip and they called for a long deep in the backfield hand-off , a slower developing stretch type play that was tackled for a 3 yard loss .

EVEN WITH A BACK LIKE DRENNAN , YOU DO NOT RUN A DELAYED DEEP IN THE BACKFIELD HAND-OFF ON SECOND AND GOAL FROM THE ONE AND A HALF YARD LINE , ESPECAILLY WITH THE OFFESNIVE LINE YOU HAVE !!!

Yes that is what I texted . Third down play call was a weird screen just off the tackle that went nowhere{ One yard} . Field goal and momentum back to the Celts . 10-7 Rocks . Coffman had too much yardage to have only 10 points here.

Jerome again started heaving rainbow prayers and another one was answered down field . Here I will defend the Coffman defender{s} who were being picked on . There was GOOD coverage , there was no real separation at all. But the Jerome kid{s} made some plays . I thought on a third and forever a pass interference call on Coffman was more a no call as BOTH kids were pushing , but Coffman pushed last extending his arms as he was falling backwards on a pass that wasn't going to be completed . That was the first TD drive where they converted the 4th down after being what I thought was a gift on a prayer.

So the Celts were in business. It was apparent to me they had little confidence in running the ball if they really needed to after getting stuffed on a 4th down run just inside Coffman territory earlier. Key play on 4th down and a long two was a roll out pass which again was well covered but Schell threw a low ball right on the sideline that the kid came up with right off the turf for a 9 yard gain . This is the type of play among a couple others that had me thinking that a Jerome victory could just be something that is in the 'Air" in other words just destined . Jerome would punch it in right before the end of the half and even get a fumble from the Rocks and a chance at a heave deep but Rocks pressure prevented it.

So the frustrating half for Coffman ended 14-10 Jerome but with the Rocks getting the ball to start the half.

I jotted down the following. Rocks are better , have more ways to move the ball have to use size advantage. and eventually wear down DJ. All things considered not horrible to be down by 4. 'Adjustments need to be and I think will be made defending the pass especially the deep ball .

Assert themselves physically , use your athletes creatively and well and Rocks can and should win this one and be ahead in the 4th quarter , learn lessons from last year{and last week} and FINISH BETTER . Teams out for second half , Jerome looks strangely calm , not fired up . " Coffman business like but with a bit more energy or bounce than Jerome"? Interesting" .

Well the second half started out inauspiciously as the first snap was bad and went backwards where Brown fortunately recovered it. 2nd and 27 yes a 17 yard loss to start the second half. That something in the air thought came right back to me.

it was then 3rd and 20 . What happened next was one of the key plays to get Coffman moving towards getting some momentum . Brown dropped back and lofted a nice pass down the sideline where Drennan gathered it for a 30 yard gain . BOOM, Rocks had a bounce in their step . They had a couple key conversions and were running the ball with more authority and this was early , no wear down factor yet? Took a Davidson like 7 minutes off of the clock ? This drive and the key 3rd and 20 conversion culminating in a TD was like a boxer wearing down his opponent with work to the body off stiff jabs with a couple straight rights mixed in. The 7 minutes not only resulted in the Rocks taking the lead but took something from the Celts that they never really got back .

Drennan ran hard and scored from the 7 . 17-14 Rocks . The ensuing kick-off was another key play in my opinion. Mitchell crushed a two iron like drive that went right at the Jerome returner at the 8 yard line . Now the better thing to do was get out of the way and let it go out of the end zone or even you get lucky and it takes a weird British open like bounce and goes out of bounds and you get it at the 35.

Can't fault the kid because instinctively you make a play on the ball like a baseball player having a line drive ripped right at him. He fell as he tried to grab it corralling it tried to get up and run but by rule was down at the 8 .

So Coffman just took 7 minutes off the clock physically wearing down the Celts if not somewhat demoralizing them , and now the defense well rested off half time and the long opening drive was smelling blood . Huge pressure by Soph Williams{ Rocks for the first time I can remember have 4 Soph's playing on defense at the same time } and Junior Bramonte forced a punt where the Rocks had excellent field position which was a third period staple.

Moussa Diallo { Who went out in the 4th quarter after an incredible breaking 5 tackles run , hope he is ok he slowly walked off the field himself} finished the drive with a tough 6 yard run Key plays were a nice slip screen to Dlulzynski who after missing the first game and having a few passes to him just miss connecting vs Gahanna , made his presence felt with a few nice grabs, and a huge Brown keeper on third and long .

Brown showing great presence , improvised well as the play with motion left and loaded on that side for a possible pass that way noticed that the edge was not set whatsoever on the right and he skirted down the sideline for a huge first down . This sequence put the momentum squarely with the Rocks as Brown went out of bounds and his momentum took hi right towards the Rocks Student { Coffman crazies} section where he pumped his fist.

24-14 Rocks end of three. What must be said is the job the Rocks staff did here , not only with some nice play calls offensively and getting the team playing with passion and purpose after a sluggish first half but the defensive wrinkles and changes they made . it was clear that Schell wasn't seeing the same things he was when looking to throw . The increased pressure was only part of it, he was clearly less decisive and sure of what he was looking at.

Note , the Rocks held the Celts to a MINUS 11 YARDS in the third quarter . So Rocks went back to work to the body now bludgeoning the Celts with a punishing run game ending in the end zone with Drennan scoring from 24 yards out.

This run was highlight reel worthy. This was a run that showed quickness through the hole, strength to run through some defenders and a last push into the end zone the last 5 yards that showed his increased power and reasons why he is considered one of the top few guys in Ohio 's 2020 class and has offers from most of the big boys including OSU Michigan and Georgia to name a few.

31-14 and in complete control at this point. It was stunning just how dramatically the tone of the game changed the mood of the crowd and how stunningly the competitive first half battle was turning into a runaway . Literally". Most of the damage was being inflicted running the ball .

Rocks tacked on two more scores , one after Jerome went for it on 4th down in their own territory { 45 } and and missed on another pass and giving the Rocks another short field and another TD this time with Brown going in on 4th down from the one. Note: Tight end Hostetler who has been excellent in his blocking role had a nice catch that ended with him stopped just short of the end zone for the second straight week { Need to get that guy a TD SOON} .

Insult to injury , budding star Sophomore Bryan Threats picked off a pass and returned it for a TD with two minutes left .

Impressive effort and a great Dominant second half. Looking ahead they will again face a team that will probably be forced to throw it a ton and likes to anyway in Olentangy as the Rocks try to even out the series at 2-2 with a big win next week . Coffman crazies and a big student section is crucial next week . Should be a nice warm night. Lets hope the wounded Rocks can get healthy and aren't hurt too bad. A great week of practice with increased work in pass defense and the O-Line which had a really good night keeps committed to finishing blocks and bending and keep feet moving.

Conditioning is good but needs to be maintained as the schedule shows Tangy a team that has had the Rocks number , Heavyweight Pick North with a 'professional " High school passing game , then of course Davidson down the line { Central Crossing is no slouch this year} and of course explosive UA . Yes UA has a really good O-line and some good skill kids tough ball-carriers and an excellent schemes .

A lot of work to do still and improving and working on your craft and knowing your assignments is what separates team later on .

Coffman with a Great " Homegrown" win.

Last edited by Harrycrane; 09-08-18 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-10-18, 08:17 PM
All World

A s Coffman goes into week 4 vs a familiar foe Olentangy the questions have been quieted and the talent and work the team has done is evident.

In the off season the talk here and by of course the coaches was that some key players would have to get a bit bigger and stronger and more able to do the jobs they would be assigned.

Also the talk was the slimming down of some of the bigger players to get slimmer and quicker , work on footwork and become better athletes ? I saw this immediately in the pre-season . a TON OF WORK went into this and the players and program has to be commended for this . Second half against Jerome was evidence that the strength and the conditioning aspect of the program is in good hands and did it's job.

The next two weeks the spread passing games intensify and your fundamentals and constant working on your craft is going to be the difference .

The defensive backs who had a bit of trouble with Jerome rainbow's down the sideline because that's what they had keep your head up . Jerome has some nice athletes and receivers . They scored 41 on a decent better than though of Watterson who has won two in a row , and 28 on Pick North a top 7 team stat wide with great athletes and a drive late that stalled before they got 35 points ?

Work on your craft going against your very own offensive playmakers who are really talented and get BETTER. You only gave up 14 against this team when Jerome got 41 and 28 and really close to scoring again ?

keep WORKING and getting better , IMPROVE , and most importantly don't lose confidence because Jerome threw some passes down field in rainbow form hoping for prayers .
Old 09-10-18, 09:50 PM
All District

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
As has been previously mentioned, no need at all to sweat Tangy this year, Coffman is going to roll them. Hard times for the entire district with each school running 1-2 so far, some from being watered down due to Berlin opening, others due to chronic under achievement and lack of player development (Orange).

Expect Orange to struggle against Big Nut this Friday, which is embarrassing to say. Liberty likely to drop to HD due to lack of offensive punch against a good defensive team. Berlin may actually have the best chance of any of these to win on Friday as they go against a Delaware team with a phony 3-0 record, but they are really struggling to run the ball or get any QB pressure and have to continue improving on the lines.

Coffman will be running R2 pretty much unopposed until they run into Reynoldsburg, Whitmer is a joke and was destroyed by DCC who in turn got destroyed by Toledo CC the very next week. Whitmer loud-mouths were so impressed with their QB, but have no sense of how poor both of their lines are. All the skill players in the world don't matter if you don't have consistent and good line play.

Will find out a lot about Westerville Central this Friday, but hard not to expect them to get worked over against PN. Central looms a possible OCC conf winner, but don't think they can hang with Coffman or Reynoldsburg for 4Q

Lorain could possibly finish 9-1 with nothing but tomato cans left, but their bit loss to Euclid doesn't look so great as time goes on and this is another phony record. R2 definitely Coffman's to lose.
Old 09-12-18, 02:22 PM
All World

Great 8-2 azz kicking of the Louie line which to be honest is hard to be real tight at this stage but they are tighter this week for damn sure.

Coffman and Pick C covered the light Louie line and we did too BUT those games weren't as close as I thought. Coffman game was a bit strange in it's suddenness of being a real game and then ? Well not really as the Rocks took 7 minutes off of the clock to take the lead back on that first drive after halftime.

PC game I was told was closer and more competitive than the score indicates as well .

Rightly thought Lancaster -Darby was going to the wire with Lancaster losing but covering the Louie line.

Davidson game was picked right on the nose , covered the game and won 17-10 as I suggested. Was I that right? Not really . If Davidson doesn't block the punt and have a 4-0 TO margin and oh yeah another deadly pass or two from halfback Christian Sweet away from may be losing or at least not covering the 6 point line. Brian White correctly pointed out that his club FORCED the turnovers for the most part and they MADE THINGS HAPPEN. Davidson is good at getting turnovers no question so props and those things will make the free fish and chips at the Old Bag courtesy of Louie P LOL.

Central Crossing beat up Grove City as you thought they may and the Westy South IB'S barely covered the line vs YOTW . Ditto Liberty over M-Ville despite getting outgained and losing in the second half.

The two losses were Dublin Scioto laying 4 vs Big Nut but only wining by 2 , and Winton Woods who also won but not by the more than 10 points the line required them to . They won by a TD .

This week the interesting games to me around the OCC have higher spreads than last weeks games which in see as a full three weeks of information market correction so to speak.

I found nine which I will go over going at the Louie Line as usual .
Old 09-12-18, 02:48 PM
All World

That market correction I speak of is shown in the Coffman -Olentangy game where the line is at Coffman -17 . Just a few week sago that line was much lower. Coffman is better , but the line is really high considering that Olentangy won the last two meetings .

The Tangy district is in a bit of a upheaval obviously with Berlin opening . Depth may be a problem with Tangy and or Orange and to a lesser extent Liberty ? Another correction that was made speaking of the Tangy's is Davidson is a 12 point choice over Liberty?

That's heavy considering Davidson's offense isn't firing on all cylinders as of yet . More questions about Liberty it seems .

Anyway as far as Coffman goes this week this is a classic 'sandwich " game to me . Not a complete Jersey Mike's GIANT sized sub because Tangy has Coffman's attention from last year, but off of the Jerome big crowd and atmosphere game vs District rival Jerome and next weeks Pick North game this one could fall through a small crack even if a 6 inch lightly garnished sandwich.

Rocks will face a ton of passing as I believe Tangy might have a bit of trouble running . They need to be focused on this game ALONE. Last week is over and next week means less if you don't take care of business this week .

What needs to happen is being physical and being fully committed snap for snap at wining battles up front which they are more than capable of doing . You have that mindset and you'll be fine . Give the talent the time and space and play with emotion knowing this has been a tough opponent the last two games. Tangy not the same up front may be but they have good players a very good staff . Get the mental part down the next 48 hours and them be ready to roll .

Be confident in your preparation , not just this week for this game but in general. One of the things that fans, followers and supporters of the team has noticed is the obvious work put in during the off-season .

The kids who needed to get a little bigger and thicker , put on some good weight and get stronger have done that . Also some of the big Uglies up front needed to improve their feet , get in better shape Lose weight without losing strength have done just that . People who say Coffman doesn't make enough of a commitment in the weight room and in training and preparing in general are wrong .

Seen big strides and the kids should be proud of the improvement and be more confident doing their jobs.
Old 09-12-18, 02:55 PM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
PC game I was told was closer and more competitive than the score indicates as well .
It was and it wasn't.

Central jumped out 14-0 in the first quarter and then spent the rest of the half shooting themselves in the foot. After giving up 3 turnovers they were lucky to be ahead 14-7 at half.

Trotwood scored on their 1st possession of 2nd half to make it 14-13 but Central returned the kick-off for a TD. Then Central had a pick-six to go back up 28-13. Trotwood scored one more in the 3rd Q to make it 28-19, but Central scored two more TDs after that to put the game away at 42-19.

When it was 14-13 and maybe even 28-19 it felt close, but the out come didn't really seem to be in doubt in the 4th quarter. Most of the fans were leaving to beat the rain by the mid-point of the 4th.
Old 09-12-18, 04:10 PM
All World

23 point margin is impressive win In any case . PC the better team this year obviously and I think beats them at the end of the year last year . I think it really looks like unless like we see from time to time a team just can’t get out of their own way ( hang onto the ball ) a Colerain vs. PC collision course ? After many many years of catholic rule in D-1, could the public’s be king two years in a row? Mentor PC and Colerain certainly look the part . If pressed now? Colerain
Old 09-13-18, 07:58 AM
All World

WEEK 4

Season as always 'Flies' by . First scrimmages turn into mid season in a Mid Town minute. Teams personality's chemistry, talent and future fortunes are taking shape. Some teams hopes are less now and some are looking better than they could have hoped. Either way there is a large bulk of the season to go and room for improvement that will either take place or not. I have seen teams start peaking now{ Much tooo early} and some teams who will be significantly different for any number of reasons in weeks 9 and 10 than they look now .

Now is the crucial stage to get in position to get into play-off position if you will. Not all teams have the same urgency right now, but the teams that can play with the most sense of this regardless of where they stand separate themselves. Finding motivations each week for teenagers who can get too high and get to low is a big challenge for staff's and there are games where you look for this dynamic as we get towards mid season. We are a few week s from some teams who we see every year" folding their tents up" camping trip is over they are cold too hot tired and complaining . They are pretty much done playing with real purpose and conversely there are always a handful of teams that begin surging .

They are playing with more confidence from the experience of getting the job done and improving week to week.

R-Burg at Central Crossing - LP Line Burg - 18

Big game for CC who wants to get back to the play-offs with a solid Senior class for the first time since 2015. Program took a turn for the better by beating Davidson in 2014 and then Coffman in 2015 . Made the playoffs both seasons. Lost offensive coordinator Williamson to WCH whose Son Deric was the starter at QB for three years . The Burg is at 3-0 for the first time since 1995 . Quite some ago . ER , Friends and Seinfeld were king of the airwaves then . Seinfeld is now riding in cars drinking coffee , ER 's Clooney has lived a few lives since then, and Central Perk was razed over a decade ago.

The Burg has a defense that is solid . The shutting down of UA which is defensively challenged but has a nice offensive line , good schemes and some skill is noteworthy considering the production the Bears had the next two games . That defense will be the difference here. CC has talent on offense. TB France is a good tough runner Lowe is an all purpose threat and Peck does a nice job at QB . Burg has a more explosion on offense and a faster better defense. That combo and match up dynamic over 48 minutes manifests itself in some separation at some point. 18 points is a great line as I said the Louie Line is getting tighter , more accurate.

Burg 28 CC 9 - Close call on the line, Burg cover may get me some tasty Chicken Parm with a few breadsticks at Milano's Italian Restaurant in R-Burg { East Broad}

H-Darby at H-Bradley - LP Line HB - 3

I Think Louie missed this one by a few points. I would shell out a few more shekels { Say that five times fast} on this one , may be not BEST BET, but fairly close a play and a half for sure. Darby is a solid team and a very good program. Bradley is at a point now where they seek to reload but aren't quite there yet. If you look at common opponent Davidson , the Jags did a better in terms of stopping Davidson on the ground certainly and moved the ball much better on the tough Davidson defense. Bradley was done in by turnovers and plays given up in the passing game { Two big ones by HB Sweet} oh and a punt that got blocked setting up a short field.

Bradley may be affected by the just played Davidson game , but Darby went to the final gun vs Lancaster a team that is strong physically . So may be that 'Soreness " factor is negated a bit , because we know kids are often sore after playing an always pretty physical Davidson team.

Jags have a little too much here I believe, a little better in a few areas adds up to a win over 48 minutes . I make this line more like 8 points . 3 is more than fair .

H-Bradley 23 Darby 10 - Jags cover this short number I head over to the Starliner Diner and get a cup of Chunky Chili to start , may be a chicken quesadilla . And decide whether I want the big steak Burrito or may be the excellent cajun chicken melt? Can't go wrong here.
Old 09-13-18, 11:18 AM
All World

Week 4 Cont.

UA at Westy S Ibbies - LP Line UA - 9

Care to offer an over under here ? I would make it 66 ?Looking at Storied rivals or Ohio preps to name just two sources if you can't see them in person , you get a feel for teams physical ability, their schemes and how they play in general. What do they want to do ? Hw do they want to do it? Are they physical ? Can they tackle?

UA has some deficiency's in the tackling department. Many teams even at the NFL level aren't as good at tackling because it isn't practiced as much as it was when us older dudes were playing. it's like the strikeout in baseball . When I played even at the college level I HATED striking out , now I wasn't a power hitter but had gap power and too hard full swings UNTIL I had two strikes . I protected the plate like most players did. Now ? Swing as hard on 2 and 2 than you did on 2-0 or at a belt high first pitch fastball. Strikeouts are no big deal at all even encouraged because why ground out to short putting it in paly when you can to take a rip and elevate the ball into the air and may be pop one?

Whiffing on tackles going for a bigger hit isn't frowned upon . Now at the NFL level it has changed because of the rules . But tackling or bad tackling is kind of an epidemic it seems. Anyway wasn't planning on that rant. IB'S beat UA last year handily . Bears are a proud program and ARE AT A CROSSROADS HERE . They also will be able to score points in this one . the Ibbies are talented and will score some themselves but if the Bears can tackle better and I think they will and continue their offensive roll they win here .

UA has seen speed and talent in al three games so far so the Ibbies aren't showing them something they haven't seen many times now. UA I believe is a step up from what the IB'S have seen . NA is a good solid team no question but beating Kilbourne in OT and handling YOTW by 10 and the games that got them to those results won't be enough here .

Golden Bears 38 Ibbies 23

If the Bears get the comfortable win as I think they will , I will go towards Gallo's Kitchen { Nottingham on the corner of Riverside drive South of Fishinger} defiantly order the fried Calamari app and a craft beer , may be order another beer and the homemade Meatball sub to go . MMMMM
Old 09-13-18, 11:55 AM
All World

Week 4 cont.

Davidson at Liberty LP Line HD - 12

This line at first glance looks heavy to me . HD doesn't score easily . 31 vs. Grove City is not actually impressive and a bit underwhelming considering how young GC is . 14 vs Darby ? MEH . 17 vs. Bradley had a bit of a smoke and mirror feel to them . Watching footage the halfback passes were the difference to me . One thing to be beaten on one of them , but TWO ? And please believe me as an old boss used to say all the time , those plays were needed. BADLY . The blocked punt was needed as well . The + 4 in takeaways were needed , all of them to get a 7 point win .

HD has a few studs on defense{ I saw 3 may be 4} and in addition a small handful of solid guys who are in the right places and are good ballplayers. They will be tough to score points on for Liberty as currently constituted .

Liberty QB Okuely is getting healthier but was not mobile in the last game I heard. He will have to be this week. This Liberty team doesn't have a big back like Webb to move the pile. Doesn't have Ben Roderick to make big plays down the field or at least open up some other stuff underneath .

They don't have a Johnny Weisman like 'Athlete " to make plays and key first downs. they are more pedestrian, less explosive . Still have a few horses up front though. This to me is a possible key. They have a young talented Soph. tailback and don't have that big guy but I think you can run right at Davidson to open up some things outside. They are undersized in some areas on defense .

The other key is Liberty being able to shut the run game down or keep it in check and not losing the field position battle and making them drive the football down the field . Davidson hasn't sown the consistent ability to do that the last couple years. I am going to bet on them not giving up long halfback passes or play action daggers . They won't get a punt blocked. I think this one goes to the 4th quarter closer.

HD 13 Liberty 10 Liberty gets the Cover ? If so , speaking of the Gallo family { Owners live in the neighborhood} after going to Liberty Tavern last week , I will go to Gallo's tap room in Powell . { North Liberty St.} One of my usual visits here is ordering a Bells two hearted ale and one of our favorite apps in now off the menu but I like the Pierogies as well.

Finish the Pierogies and order one more beer and also order the Sistine Chapel pizza to go which I split with my wife{ I eat more of course} it is incredible . You have to try it. It consists of Pepperoni , sautéed spinach ,roasted garlic and ricotta cheese . If son and daughter are home and or hungry we add another Half Pepperoni and half cheese pizza to take home.
Old 09-13-18, 01:51 PM
Freshman

LSpartans is on a distinguished road
Love the way Harrycrane tied in the local establishment to every pick....he should base his scores on the local watering holes!
Old 09-13-18, 03:20 PM
All World

WEEK 4 Cont.

Scioto at Jerome - LP Line Country Clubbers - 13

Want to see the Irish win the ballgame , but I think the Country Clubber pop up the collars and relish having a size advantage this week up front . Like the Irish skill guys just fine I think they make some plays . Jerome is at a crossroads, which is a common theme it seems this week as I have typed or thought that multiple times. Last years game was a close one and this one should be too, BUT I for some reason come back to Jerome being able to run the ball and stopping the run on defense . Making Scioto one dimensional is a huge advantage and I think they may be able to do just that.

Jerome RB Strickland is a good back , Jerome never really established him even in the more competitive first half because it was clear they were going with the pass game and long fade rainbows as I call them vs. Coffman . Coffman made some adjustments and put a stop to that and when the Rocks got a margin the Celts had to throw or thought they did and before they knew it the game was out of hand . I think Jerome runs behind big 72 { Craig} and pounds the rock and eventually outscores the Irish . Tough call on the spread I must say.

Backdoor cover for Scioto is possible no doubt , but I will go out on a limb and say Jerome gets the bad Pick North and even worse Coffman game taste out of their mouth and may be runs it out just a bit. Jerome has a few good receivers who have produced a total of 42 points vs Coffman and PN.

Jerome 35 Irish 20

Rooting for the Irish but think the Celts get a narrow cover here . I also and rooting for my stomach and if I don't get the cover I have to pay for my

Irish egg roll app and grilled bologna sandwich which is outstanding
{bell peppers make it} at the Dublin Village Tavern Irish sliders are also excellent. Right smack in the middle of Old Dublin .
Old 09-13-18, 06:09 PM
All World

Week 4 cont.

Olentangy at Coffman - LP Line DC -17

Line is heavy , Rocks off of district rival emotion and Pick North o deck this could be a look ahead spot even with Olentangy beating them twice last year. Coffman may be a bit shorthanded tomorrow , will it affect them in a big way tomorrow? I don't think so , BUT Pick North - Davidson and UA ? yes but we will hope for better health for those gamers although the Pick North game is unlikely seeing it is in a week .

Rocks have a bit of depth but not in all spots. Looking at Tangy's three results it seems that their offense in the first two games put up some yards but didn't finish drives especially in the first game vs. Darby where they should have won probably. Last week looking at footage and the numbers it looked like their opponent Springfield Holland wasn't a really stout defensive team and didn't tackle well at all giving up HUGE plays .

Tangy has nice athletes on offense , a good scheme as I always talk about, well coached and a bit depth shy it seems. Eye test showed them to be not as big on defense [Or O-line} . I think you can run right at them and they would need to bring a guy and a half { I mean another guy creeps in more than he would normally} to quell the gash plays.

Braves will dink and dunk you to death if you stay in a zone and they like to take shots deep if you press, so I have a pretty good idea what Coffman may do here and won't say of course but I believe the lessons learned of last year will be applied. Tangy offense will be facing a different defensive team this week . Holland applied the OLE defense which means they were tackling like they were bullfighters not really wanting to stick their nose in much of the time .

They made some big plays on offense as well and Coffman has better players than they have so I can see Rocks scoring a nice amount here , BUT a bit short a bit distracted and a bit Solis and that passing 45 times keeps it interesting may be .

WEIRD VIBE for me, I think the coaches need to be really vigilant in not letting the players lose focus. O-linemen and Secondary are the keys here. Coverage and tackling is paramount . O-line just needs to put their hands in the dirt fire out and kick azzz. Pretty simple? Not really but those are the Keys to me. Last years game in the regular season the Rocks moved into Tangy territory mid third quarter with a 3 point lead stalled , Tangy picked up the fumble and scored . Game changer . This year if in a familiar scenario? Mike Drennan is playing in this year's game .

I am going to call for a Rocks win but 17 is a bit steep. Tangy back door will be open for sure and they may make this a tougher go.

Rocks 34 Tangy 20

If Solis's and Magistro's boys cover this line , O'Nelly's Sports pub and grill in on them a Tangy fan spot for pre-game. I have had the Reuben Dip App and the " Dalton" Roadhouse burger is decadent in a heart attack way . Named after the famous skinny bouncer with mad fighting skills Dalton who profoundly proclaimed 'Pain don't hurt" { One of my favorite all time movie lines lol } includes some bacon Barbecue sauce onion rings and cheddar cheese . Irish banger sandwich was good also .