Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-10-18, 07:16 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the hot tip.

Jase Bowen accounted for about 75% offensive production for the Irish last year. He did everything. Jet sweeps, direct snap wildcat, downfield passes, drove the bus, etc.

If they looked good against two quality opponents without Bowen that means they have clearly found other weapons and figured out ways to exploit those weapons.

As a Toledo Whitmer fan this scares me.
Old 08-10-18, 08:40 AM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
As a Toledo Whitmer fan this scares me.
Nothing on Cherry should scare anybody from Panther Nation. Whitmer suits up two national recruits at the two most important positions, QB & DE. Add in future superstar Walling and Whitmer should be playing in early December.
Old 08-10-18, 11:46 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
I know who the kid and what he does, my point is that it's not surprising to me knowing the overall talent level they have. It was a compliment. They should have a GREAT season from what I hear.
Old 08-10-18, 11:48 AM
All World

Whitmer will have to be better on defense to win the region , and they probably will be. How many guys back on defense? Nothing to NOT really like about their QB , kid is a force.
Old 08-11-18, 12:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Nothing on Cherry should scare anybody from Panther Nation. Whitmer suits up two national recruits at the two most important positions, QB & DE. Add in future superstar Walling and Whitmer should be playing in early December.
The Irish ALWAYS scare me and this year is no different.
Old 08-11-18, 12:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Whitmer will have to be better on defense to win the region , and they probably will be. How many guys back on defense? Nothing to NOT really like about their QB , kid is a force.
Dline is the strong point with 3 returning starters. Aside from that both corners return so they have 5 returners. The entire backing corps, DTs, and safeties need to be replaced which makes it tough. They will have talent but if they are ever to hit a stride it probably will not be until weeks 6 or 7.
Old 08-12-18, 03:58 PM
Varsity

Hillibuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:

4} Bradley - up and coming program no doubt , may take over Hilliard going forward. Davidson will be pumped up to stop them no doubt but i like Bradley's strength and size , QB? Questions , have enough back to do some damage and i don't see anyone in their league beating them.
After watching Bradley in scrimmages against Dayton Northmont and Marysville it looks like they will be fine at the QB position. Senior who has bided his time behind transfers and looks like he is ready to take over the position. Bradley also has a good stable of receivers to throw to. Run game doesn't seem to be up to snuff yet but the tools are there and should come around.

Defensively the front 7 has looked really strong - teams should struggle to run the ball consistently against them...good size and strength. Biggest question mark right now seems to be the defensive backfield with only one returning starter from last season. If they can get that figured out they should have a good season. First four games should tell a lot with Findlay, Stow-Monroe, Hilliard Davidson and Hilliard Darby on the docket.
Old 08-12-18, 04:19 PM
All World

Yes the reason I like Bradley at 4 to start the season is their front seven . Like their LB'S . Their passing scheme and game is well oiled and effective . Now Marysville is fading as a program, not a test whatsoever for Bradley , BUT the Jags are now a solid consistent program after getting close to this level they appear here to stay?

Pickerington's have the most physical talent and best football demographics , the next few are really close to each other , and on a given day they can beat each other. Davidson isn't vintage Davidson but they will be one of the most improved teams in this area no question . I think they make the play-offs and that's not easy in R-3 .

Davidson game will be really close , but I like Bradley's passing game vs HD that's where it seems you need to attack the Cats because they have the LB'S who are three year starters in Annis and Royer , and they have nice guys lining up outside in Keys and Ezrim . Secondary? We'll see, they should run the ball better probably averaging a full yard or so more per carry than last year staying on schedule more of the time .

Darby ? Not sure abut them. I was talking about them to someone recently and remembered the 2007 team that played Coffman in the Regional final and the passing game they had with Northwestern Slot receiver playing QB {Ebert } and the nice receivers they had and a very good back in Richeson . Different animal and style back then . Coffman had to use al of their bullets to pull away from the Panthers . Stoneburner Fairchild and Stoudt were on top of their games and they needed all of it to win that sucker.

Darby now? Offense can be painful to watch really at times. Dynamic then, the school split hurt them badly . They recovered and have won a lot of ball games grinding out wins against many teams with more talent.

Coach has bene outspoken in his disdain for kids quitting the sport. I get the frustration, as this is just a different time. Kids who football was their second or third sport even didn't mind being second string in football , they just wanted to be part of it and of course they worked to become a starter .

Now ? They say they will work on their main sport during football season and some don'[t really do that , they just don't play football in many cases . It's hard , it isn't for everyone . Easier and less painful to sit in the stands .
Old 08-12-18, 04:52 PM
Varsity

Hillibuck is on a distinguished road
Agree on Davidson being a much improved team from last year. Strong senior class, good front 7 on defense and 8 returning starters on offense. They will be a handful for anyone this season and Coach White will definitely have them fired up to take down Bradley who has beaten them the past two seasons.

Glad you brought up that 2007 Darby team...they were very very good. Ebert was a stud and was hard to deal with. That was a fun team to watch...as was that Coffman team with Stoudt at QB.

Today's Darby is not the same but they are still a dangerous team. Their style is not fun to play against and they can beat anyone on any given night. Bradley will have their hands full in that game but fortunately Darby (and Davidson's) offense plays into Bradley's strength.
Old 08-12-18, 04:57 PM
All World

Always have a lot of respect for Darby and their work ethic toughness and they win games. Excellent program that grinds out wins and plays as hard as anyone .
Old 08-12-18, 05:01 PM
All World

Great point H-Buck , that's the key the Match up , Bradley would want Davidson to line up and run it at them, they welcome that with their personnel .

I think Davidson just may throw it a few more times this year in certain games . Coffman 's run defense with their really strong LB crew and Nose guy was a perfect match-up vs Davidson last year and in the play-off game in 2016 after making adjustments , Cats hit a few big plays in the pass game that made it a real nailbiter . I know Cats hit a big pass play vs Bradley last year but couldn't stop the Bradley passing game , I think the match-up favors Bradley but closer than last year for sure.
Old 08-12-18, 05:58 PM
Junior Varsity

Steelers24 is on a distinguished road
How’d the Scrimmage on Saturday go?
Old 08-12-18, 06:11 PM
All World

I was hoping to hear from some reliable sources, I wasn't back in town until about 2 O'clock yesterday , the first DeSales scrimmage I have missed .
Old 08-16-18, 10:19 AM
All World

Camp winding down as it's very close to a regular season game week preparation . Scrimmage tonight vs Westy Central with weather looming all day . It will be my first look at the team in a scrimmage as I missed the DeSales tilt for the first time . Haven't heard very much about what happened other than from a Coffman detractor who said they got smacked . He said Coffman won last years scrimmage which in guess they did as DeSales might not have bene at 100 percent last year. So I take anything from some sources with a grain of salt . He did say DeSales suked { OK he said they were a very average mediocre team which would say Coffman is really really bad if they didn't gain an inch all day } so that isn'[t what anyone else is saying so I see it as a way to further disparage Coffman.

Look for a response shortly as he reads every Coffman post and trolls on a regular basis. PS yes I am trolling you trying to get more information lol .

Anyway the crimmage season ends tonight and lets hope they can compete at all tonight . I was curious that they didn't compete at al vs DeSales as they aren't replacing everyone from last year and those guys did alright last year to go to this year and not gain any yards and give up how many TD'S ? I never did hear that part.

Anyway scrimmages tell a story , they are chapter of a book . Some see an hour of football and come to a conclusion that a team suks or is really good and have an idea how that season will go. The season is a saga , a whole book , it has some peaks and valleys but is a work in progress, it has to establish itself and improve , find a voice. Scrimmages are tricky because emotions can be flat or heightened , coaches approach can be different , looking at more kids and sitting some out altogether if even minorly banged up.

Coffman has scrimmaged three really strong programs with talent coaching continuity and all are great programs . Toledo CC is stacked with speed some size and skill , longtime coach and a great program Pick C is Pick C , riding high off of a state title and while they are rebuilding { Reloading} in some areas are loaded with talent as well . DeSales is an excellent program and they have some questions as most teams do but have probably the best interior D-Lineman in the state { 28 offers } in Rodas Johnson and a great 2 sport athlete Joey Velasquez .

Various other talented athletes are sprinkled throughout the roster . Have some graduation losses and new guys will have to develop but their coaching staff is excellent and Wiggins has established himself as one of the better coaches in the state .

So certainly some mixed results as the Rocks lost 5 of their front seven and arguably their top trio of LB'S as a unit in program history. Secondary has some experience but they have to step up their performances from last year as they had issues at times. I look for more picks and plays made from this group .

Offensively the Rocks return two fulltime starters on the offensive line so that is a work in progress as well , their QB and their lead Running back . First year starter is a Senior QB so that helps as he has been around the program and knows the system. Receiver group has some experience but again like the secondary needs to elevate their games this season. Drennan being healthy is an X factor obviously as he is playmaker , I said it a year and half ago and I have heard it from others lately that he is a Curtis Samuel type talent . I agree same size which is a cross between slot / RB type build, with shifty moves and good acceleration change of direction but not top elite breakaway straight line speed.

Running the ball will be a process as the O-line needs to come together and develop some chemistry , 2 return and there are a couple others that have potential to make their mark but time will tell. Lets hope that's starting tonight . Warhawks don't have the material of a PICK C or Toledo CC, and may be not the strength of DeSales as they may be younger in some areas but they are a solid program and near the play-off mix if not in most years in this last decade . Magistro is at Olentangy but some staff are back .

O-lineman get good reps and learn from failure when going against guys like Rodas over at DeSales , Johnson and Carter at Pick C and Toledo CC speed and talent . Rocks likely won't face this level of opponent possibly the rest of the season including the play-offs{ early in R-2 AFTER that ? ?} if they make it . Great experience from a learning standpoint no question . Kids always benefit in some way from having to play live against that kind of size and speed. .

As many out here know I kind of handicap the games and predict games during the week using the Louie Pasteur line or mentioning the Cal Preps line , I handicap al levels of football but I enjoy breaking some of this down as well . Did the play-offs in D-1 through D-3 last year and did well from a predicting standpoint and had fun writing the previews .

So out of curiosity I went through a good handful of the Rocks games to see what Cal Preps pre-season assessment of how the Rocks would do against their first 5 opponents and Davidson and UA .

Now of course this isn't based on this years performance but rather last years and returning starters . So I other words it's not that serious of a prediction really but is interesting in that it makes you think a bit more . predictions are based on a neutral site game

Week one Perrysburg - last year won 45-0 up there, this year I kind of agree with their 35-14 prediction . A few years ago P-Burg was a D-2 semi-finalist but rebuilding last year and they don't seem to have the same size and speed as they did in those play-off run years. Compete better this year but gap still is somewhat wide.

Week two AT Gahanna - CP sys 34- -21 Gahanna , which I feel is their most egregious prediction . First off they scored 34 last year with better receivers and Lowery at QB, THEY AREN'T SCORING THAT THIS YEAR with amore experienced Rocks secondary . May be CP wasn't factoring in Lowery being gone? I think competitive no doubt but GL isn't scoring that much .

Week three - AT Jerome - a 7 minute ride to Jerome should be a great night in the community . CP Coffman 24- Jerome 21 2013 THROWBACK , Who will play the John McGue role this year ? Jerome is in year 4 of the Geciwich era as the Seniors have bene there from day one and are taking that very seriously. They also have a bigger Senior class than Coffman has . Jerome has 30 + Seniors , Coffman low 20's . Celtics are coming for the Rocks perch atop the Dublin football landscape ? Yes they are . Do they get there this year ? CP thinks this is a nailbiter . May be they are right ? We'll see and it will be fun . Celts are strong , they work hard and have a solid program leader no question. They will have the emotion edge perhaps , but can Rocks ride out that tide and use their speed and talent edge?

Week 4 - Olentangy - CP - Coffman 31 Olentangy 22
excruciating Play - off loss that I have mentioned too many times now but it was BAD . Tangy got sweet revenge in week 4 last year from the 2016 beatdown at Coffman stadium, That was then , this is now . Tangy ahs enough skill on offense to be a good team no question , but is replacing many on both lines and defense . So a competitive game with the Rocks being more experienced being an edge?

Week 5 AT Pick North CP- Pick North 38-10 - close to a running clock ? I was told that was a big possibility { Again from an anti Coffman and anti me poster} who knows , if their Lowery refugee returning to his old bedroom star QB is clicking by week 5 at full speed with his 'new" { Or is it his old friends? may be not the Wayne transfer kid wasn't around back then } } receivers it could be 38-0 at the half seeing as Coffman was obliterated by DeSales I was told . Heck may be 42-0 at the half. Lets hope the Rocks have a good record heading into this week . Again facing those TE'S and QB and receivers will be a ;positive in some respect going forward and they won't see that level of offense again .

Interesting part of the schedule dynamic is week 2 through 4 in what amounts to quasi R-2 preliminary play-off games . Gahanna , Jerome and Olentangy in succession , all games projected to be tough ones for the Rocks.

What are the Rocks going to do differently this year from a preparation standpoint to avoid say last year's Tough Late losses on longer TD passes vs Gahanna and Olentangy in the play-offs ? Avoid the mistakes and make more plays than they did in week 4's Olentangy beat down? Close out games vs Davidson and UA better?

Finish the pre-season strong, keep lifting throughout on a season type lifting program, not the off-season program? More continuous conditioning work so you keep that edge maintaining the pre-season level throughout the season ? Better adjustments in the second half ? More confidence in the secondary should be huge , lets see if more plays are made which turns the tide of games and puts them away better .
Old 08-16-18, 05:12 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
yes I am trolling you trying to get more information
Not the troll you were looking for in this case, but my info says that DeSales is still learning its new offensive system. They line up in a spread but still run what is mostly a triple option. Just without that whole midget ball look and feel that drives you nuts. So far, it doesn't seem to be clicking, and I'm not convinced that they have the personnel to execute it. Time will tell. They will be solid on defense as always. Strong and fast. I'll bet Lunkaster has negative offensive yardage. I see the Stallions to be improved this season with a better final record and enough points to make the playoffs. The little chemistry glitch of last season is in Oklahoma now, ha ha. Whatever they did against the Rocks is inconsequential. Like always, as you know. DeSales always starts well coming out of camp. Rocks always look a little shaky at this time of the season and take about 4 weeks to find their groove. You guys will do fine.
Old 08-16-18, 06:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Not the troll you were looking for in this case, but my info says that DeSales is still learning its new offensive system. They line up in a spread but still run what is mostly a triple option. Just without that whole midget ball look and feel that drives you nuts. So far, it doesn't seem to be clicking, and I'm not convinced that they have the personnel to execute it. Time will tell. They will be solid on defense as always. Strong and fast. I'll bet Lunkaster has negative offensive yardage. I see the Stallions to be improved this season with a better final record and enough points to make the playoffs. The little chemistry glitch of last season is in Oklahoma now, ha ha. Whatever they did against the Rocks is inconsequential. Like always, as you know. DeSales always starts well coming out of camp. Rocks always look a little shaky at this time of the season and take about 4 weeks to find their groove. You guys will do fine.
That is as good as anyone has ever described that situation. I've seen many coaches jump from Wing-T/Veer/Wishbone to spread and try to run similar things and it just looks awkward. Timing does not seem right, oline and backfield not gelling, seems slow, etc. Anyone can run spread but you have to be show certain aspects otherwise it looks very "midget ball" as you describe.
Old 08-16-18, 07:07 PM
All World

I think DeSales is changing as they may realize that they can may be attract more athletes this way. It will be a transition . It’s halftime at the Coffman - WC scrimmage and it’s a yawner not much offense ,Coffman had the only drive and it’s 7-0!. Sitting some guys including Drennan , defense had looked Ok . A lot of work to do . Thanks for the info Sap.
Did you catch Hartley Jerome last night ?
Old 08-17-18, 05:25 AM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think DeSales is changing as they may realize that they can may be attract more athletes this way. It will be a transition . Itís halftime at the Coffman - WC scrimmage and itís a yawner not much offense ,Coffman had the only drive and itís 7-0!. Sitting some guys including Drennan , defense had looked Ok . A lot of work to do . Thanks for the info Sap.
Did you catch Hartley Jerome last night ?
Hartley 1s dominated Jerome 1s. Hartley scored every time. And Jerome scored on a deep pass. Once the 2s came in it looked even.
Old 08-17-18, 05:40 AM
All World

Thanks for the info . Hartley will have a good teM this year as always ,motivated by TValley loss . Jerome has a lot back but may be not athletic enough in some areas . The twos being fairly equal makes sense seeing as Jerome has some good numbers and Hartley being a smaller school , but more talent in the first 20 or so players .
Old 08-18-18, 07:52 AM
All District

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
You can remove Orange from the list of R2 contenders. Both Harrison and starting TB Roberts are hurt (not sure the extent) and they basically have shown zero ability to move the ball in scrimmages this year. Extremely disappointing to see what a huge backward step this program has taken after showing such promise, but I guess their success these last 2 years was completely geared around the last senior class and the coaching staff has been unable to develop D1 varsity level players on a consistent basis.
Old 08-19-18, 04:58 PM
All World

Saw the Rocks for the first time in the Westy C scrimmage on Thursday night . The latest I have seen the Rocks in the last several years . Watched three full quarters as it was the One's for the first half and 2'S AND 2.5'S in the third quarter.

With no program and lineman wearing single digits and other funky numbers being worn , I knew some BY sight and familiarity but was in the dark a bit about some of the identity's especially the Young talented Soph's and the first year varsity Juniors.

Not the most exciting couple of hours I must say , one of the more bland scrimmages I have seen in a while. Rocks were inept on offense most of the half but so was Central . Not sure if it was the play of the defense being stout or the offense just not clicking this early . A lineman hobbled off after his man got a sack, hope he is OK . Looked as though some others may have sat , including best offensive player Drennan which we are used to not seeing of course but probably smart seeing as last year in this very scrimmage he hurt his ankle and never fully recovered and re-injured it.

The line may be not being full strength for the duration and the fact that they won't run the QB-1 in the scrimmage makes it easy for the defense to defend the run helped the run game look shaky at first especially.

QB-1 was a little hyped and threw 100 MPH fast balls that had little chance of being caught , and threw one about 5 yards behind an open receiver and a pick late in the first half into what was almost triple coverage, a pass he cannot throw in a real game . Reminded me a fast ball pitcher who sometimes overthrows and doesn't change speeds well .

I have seen better of this QB and he is a good runner who was obviously nor allowed to run .

Defense was pretty good, showed some flashes but has some questions in the front seven that need answered. A thing to work on is field awareness where a few times the QB in particular including the back up { Who was really interesting as a prospect } slithered out of pressure and guys outside took poor angles and pretty much blocked themselves out of the play allowing an extra 3-5 yards . Better positioning and body control and making the runner cut back wasn't happening . Outside guys need to take the corner and take the outside and sideline away to let the others clean it up inside .

Saw this dynamic enough that it stuck in my mind and something that if not corrected will give teams a lot more 2nd and 4's than 2nd and 7 and 8's or more 3and 2's or first downs on second and long than 3rd and 4's . Secondary was using a lot of kids and I will have to wait before knowing what and who they will go with . Didn't get beat long so that was an improvement but not sure how good WC offense really is .

They had some athletes but not really in synch yet which was the theme of the scrimmage which isn't all that surprising.

Offensively a pleasant surprise was young backs running hard through contact showing some quickness and good feet in traffic . Some nice bursts helped the offense score the lone TD of the first half . There was a longer pass that was caught and the receiver was pushed to boot so a real positive play all around. The TD was also impressive and a highlight in a first half of few.

Rocks lined up wrong and the staff called TO yelling it loudly. So the play off of the TO quickly lessened the staff's consternation , which was a perfectly executed delayed receiver screen where the receiver cut into the end zone untouched.

Third quarter was the 2's and the 2.5's and the QB'S for each team were the story to me . WC'S kid was a long taller kid with nice athletic moves in the pocket and a nice arm and presence. Honestly he looked better than the QB-1 even considering he was going against Coffman back-up 's. He was also playing with back-ups as well . He moved the ball down the field towards the red zone but penalties and some Coffman plays halted the drive.

Coffman's Soph QB Mathews was equally impressive . Not as tall as WC'S QB-2 but as athletic in a different way, probably more fast twitch and made one run in particular that drew some 'Ooohs" From the sparse gathering. He has some shake and can spin and plant his feet to make people miss and isn't easy to take down.

He ahs an excellent Frosh tape and I saw that and was impressed but he showed the same promise in this setting as well . Has a quick delivery that no doubt needs to be refined in terms of his motion and feet and weight transfer which is very common with young QB'S and was with possible starting QB at Kentucky Gunnar Hoak showing tremendous development in this regard from Soph. to Jr. Yr.

He also had a couple of what I call raised eye brow plays , you watch for a while and as I mentioned he had the Oooh moment when he juked spun his way out of trouble and made a nice gain on the ground , he had me raising my eyebrow when he ,moved in the pocket kept the ball high in the throwing motion and on the run delivered a couple strikes moving the ball deeper into WC to end the third quarter . I had some work to do at that point and had to leave but came away very hopeful that the Rocks had a really nice Soph. QB.

As an old coach o mine frequently said , the kid is an ' ATLETE" Nice 'ATLETE" . He was my defensive coach and he would use that to describe certain QB'S , as in the 'Kid is a good atlete" We need to stay disciplined and not have our backs turned or he will first down us to death " with his feet.

Kid is just an 'ATLETE.
Old 08-22-18, 11:41 AM
All World

Week one is here , Coffman has a schedule with 4 2017 play-off teams and two other programs that had off years in UA and Davidson with the latter missing for the first time in a decade.

UA was bit by the injury bug and returns a lot of talent and some size . I have missed more than not when predicting bigger things for UA but this may be the year they get over the Davidson and or Coffman hump as they have lost 9 in a row to Davidson { NIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEE TIMES as Ed Rooney might say} and 5 in a row to Coffman .

Jerome is added to the schedule in week three . Pick North in week 5. Other than that there will be familiar foes , Olentangy match-up at Coffman stadium will be the fourth in 2 years time on the calendar. The Rocks play Gahanna for the third straight year and this will be the rubber game . Both teams won on the road wit the Rocks beating the Lions 31-13 in 2016 on a hot night and losing last year at home in the last minutes 34-32 .

Perrysburg comes to town for the second match-up in a two year contract with the Rocks rolling over a you9ng inexperienced P-Burg team who was a bit overmatched physically, 45-0 . P-Burg had a nice run of some success in the last half dozen years culminating with a state Semi appearance. The last two years has seen a step back . They have most of their guys back { 7 Seniors last year} and will look to compete much better this season.

Coach said an interesting thing that I didn't know , he said the Coffman game last year took a lot out of his team physically and it took them weeks to recover, as a handful of kids got banged up in varying degrees.

The Rocks have to come out with the mindset that this is a much different P-Burg team that will be eager to compete better, are stronger and more experienced . Just go out there looking to show your stuff in front of what I hope is a good crowd on opening night. there are a lot of new guys really excited to get out there and do their thing and if the Rocks play with purpose and intensity they will be fine not only this week but all season .

If I had to describe the Rocks at this very very early date it's , promising younger higher end talent, speed and season success and potential play-off success will be dependent on the development of the Offensive line , QB play as Senior first year starter Brown gets comfortable . Front seven on defense maturity and LB play .

Enough questions to not be cocky and over confident certainly but enough material to work with to be excited about what's to come down the road .

As usual I will use this space to comment on and predict games each week . Week one as I have said for years is always toughest .

The most difficult thing to do in prognosticating in week one is gauging the improvement of kids from Soph's to Jr's and Jr's to Sr's . You hear things from scrimmages and you see kids in your community that you realize are more physically equipped than the year before, but it's hard to predict what the improvement may look like.

I think there are always a couple of vastly overrated teams based on the previous year or two's success or longer term success especially when they return a few studs { Olentangy Orange this year ?} , so I see that again from media and I thought a few weeks ago that programs who had risen may stay there . Now? I really think Orange misses the play-offs and they will be ranked by some higher than they should .

Conversely , we see a team or two flying too far under the radar based on decent results the year before which sticks too much in the mind of observers and predictors . Teams stay off the radar for a few weeks , Upper Arlington and Davidson appear to be kind of stuck lower than they may be in reality . Of curse many respect Davidson so much and rightfully so that they think they will bounce back but still won't rank them higher .

I am going to rank the top 10 teams in Central Ohio this week after a full 3 weeks of camp and pre-season . Still hard to be that accurate but I'll take a stab. I think Reynoldsburg is a flying under the radar team, known but ranked a few spots too low ? But again they haven't quite done it consistently so we wait. I love R-Burg's talent .

One team that rightfully is getting love early is Bradley who I saw coming as a 'PROGRAM" a couple years ago . They weren't there at that time but were coming . Now ? they are a 'PROGRAM", I know Loparo is not well liked by some out here but the man is doing a really good job and has built the 'program" into something that is sustainable no question . Nice work Mike .

Going over games and should have 10 in Cenetral Ohio and few opinions on important games around the state although I know less about those teams of course. it's here it's football season as the HS's open up earlier than the other two levels.

No Pasteur line to go against like I did last year especially in the play-offs where I nailed over 60 percent of the suckers, Vegas line is tougher my goal there is mid 50's , closer to 60 than 50 . That's the 'Professional level I aspire to and have to hit and I usually do , looking forward to attacking the Pasteur line in a few weeks . Cal Preps? I guess I could substitute it and it will be better after the first few weeks I am sure .

Liberty at Pick North
R-Burg at UA
Darby at Olentangy
PC vs. Illinois State champ
Hartley at Toledo CC
And the Dublin schools games are definite along with probably Hilliard schools

Out of area games

Mentor St Ed's is a guarantee .
Old 08-23-18, 02:43 PM
All World

WEEK ONE

The season is here , the weather looks great, perfect really and we are ready to roll . Scrimmages have been completed , two a days are a fading memory and first year starters especially have those butterflies which will swirl a little faster when the they hear the band playing smell the food cooking knowing the opening kick-off is near. That also will fade after the first couple hits and plays . Good luck this season to all and player should enjoy themselves and soak it all in .

No Louie line and I will not use Cal Preps as they are not really tight

Olentangy Liberty at Pickerington North - 42-0 last year , I feel the gap has closed a bit and did last year by the end of the season. PN replaces their star QB with another star, who is a Senior no less . Lowery may not be as good a HS QB as Weirick but he is damn good. He has two great tight-ends both D-1 kids , speedy receivers and solid running backs. Sophomore Jack Sawyer has been offered by Ohio State already and is such a stud that he can line up at receiver RB and is a back-up RB can play out wide and is a reserve QB . Cut the crap. Oh yeah they have a Senior TE Foster who is committed to Ohio . Liberty has QB back with experience a big O-line as I am sure they will try to shorten the game and run it well to keep the ball out of PN'S hands . Liberty doesn't have the same type of athletes that North has , but have numbers are well coached are a solid program and will hang for a bit possibly. Too many playmakers for North whose defense has looked solid by accounts in the pre-season

Pick North 31 Liberty 10

Reynoldsburg at Upper Arlington - R-Burg moves to R-2 with may be their best team in quite a while. They have two transfers that bolsters an already talented team . Kid from Wayne who will play offense and a defensive player from West North. 4 Seniors are D-1 , PLAYMAKERS , SIZE AND EXPEREINCE . UA has some size and some experience as well but doesn't have the horses on offense and the number of playmakers. this again is often the difference is HS football and all levels really but in this match-up it will be apparent that a few plays that go for big yards will be the difference . UA has nice skill kids and a QB that will be better this year after gaining experience last year. Sass is a three sport guy so he is versatile but needed to refine some things as a QB. Rice makes a few difference maker plays if you will

R-Burg 28 UA 16

Davidson at Grove City - This isn't a marquee game or a particularly competitive to be honest . I am including it because I feel Davidson makes a comeback after a 500 season that saw them miss the play-offs for the first time in a decade. They have most guys back on offense where the struggled much of the time last year . They played well on defense at times and they have two three year starters in Linebackers Annis and Royer two Davidson legacy's if you will, and probably their tallest pair of players on the outside up front in Keys and Ezrim who are both about 6-5 . Grove City is young and will incur the wrath of Davidson's non play-off season last year's rage . Too much experience in this one . Cats are back , but this game isn't a barometer that comes the next two weeks when they play their brothers

Davidson 34 GC 0

Darby at Olentangy - Braves have a nice stable of receivers, running backs are a question mark as is the O-line with only one starter back and two QB's with limited experience although Sr. Haag started his Soph Yr. Maddox is a Jr. . Defense is rebuilding with only two guys back . The new dynamic at Tangy is they will have to play more two ways due to the opening of Berlin and they have no Frosh team . Tangy is undefeated vs Darby in it's history . Darby has had trouble covering the Braves receivers at times the last couple years. Darby has a small defensive front and I feel the Braves will try to run it and that may set up the deeper balls I feel they will complete a few times. Panthers are a bit quirky on offense but have a QB back who played as a Soph because the older kid got hurt. Darby hangs in but in think in the end the Braves have a bit too much offensive skill and size that will wear down HD .

Olentangy 28- 20

Looking at a few more games including the Dublin schools, among others .
Old 08-23-18, 07:30 PM
All World

Dublin Jerome at Bishop Watterson - Geciwich has his initial class at Jerome and a large Senior class . Country Clubbers are strong and work their azzes off in the rom filled with ugly steel . Watterson program is teetering on a thin piece of steel ready to plunge to it's death. OK that's a way bit much but the program at Watterson is really in need of large B-12 shot of adrenaline .

A handicapping tool that has been employed for years is teams going in the opposite directions. You see that , take a look at the line and see if the price is right to take a plunge on the team heading in the positive direction , has some momentum.

Is the juice that one team has above the price that is assigned? Jerome has juice . They have energy , Watty? Out of gas but at the station it will take a bit till the tank gets near full. or even half? , Jerome takes advantage of Watty youth .

DJ 31 Watty 7
Old 08-24-18, 06:11 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Week one is here
Freshmen at 9. JV at 11. Any predictions? Ready to see the Hawk machine firing on all cylinders and sputtering from time to time? This is the sixth year that these kids have been doing the same peewee offense but the first year they've been lining up in the crazy tight splits.

Last edited by sapientia et veritas; 08-24-18 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-24-18, 06:35 AM
All World

You guys have had some strong Frosh teams who have beaten some top programs the last few years if I recall correctly? Rocks full feeder( Sells MS ) was decent but not great and the half feeder( Karrer MS , half go to Jerome ) wasn’t good at all . So I expect Hartley to win that one. JV should be more competitive and probably a matter of what happens tonight and if back ups get playing time tonight and less playing time tomorrow ?

I’m glad they scheduled a strong progam win or lose . Tough opener for Hawks TCC is loaded . Perrysburg is better than last year but Rocks still have some size/ speed advantages against them. Good luck tonight
Old 08-24-18, 07:03 AM
All District

No Berlin Briggs prediction? Man, I want a refund
Old 08-24-18, 07:20 AM
All World

Shout out and good luck to Briggs and head coach Sean Zink who also coaches and does a great job with the Dublin Sells wrestling team. Exciting for Briggs to be part of a historic night at Berlin with all the pomp and circumstance of a program and schools first ever football game . Besides rooting for Briggs and Zink I have no idea in the least what may happen here .

Briggs has a couple of athletic kids including a future college athlete by the name of Lake . Berlin has no Seniors and a good handful of Olentangy Braves refugees . I may ask Kramer how many Sophs who were part of the good Tangy Frosh team
Last year are now at Berlin?

Three flips of the coin and two came up Berlin 21 -16 ? Teams I root for in these type of games rarely results in a victory for that team . Go Briggs !!’
Old 08-24-18, 02:37 PM
All World

Week one cont.

Perrysburg at Coffman- Rocks have to go in with the mindset that this is a different team and that they need to approach this as such. All kids are back and wanting to atone for their bad beating last year. Interesting tidbit was the three Toledo Blade scribes who predict scores of the local game have this one with Coffman winning by 14, 7 , and 5 points . So even with the grain of salt you take those predictions with seeing that the local guys don't want to call for a team they cover to get crushed again , this is telling. 7 points ? 5 points? hmm That is saying they think the team has improved over 4 touchdowns in reference to Coffman . Rocks averaged 7 a carry last year. That won't happen this season but I hope the passing game takes some shape from the start this year which will help the run game .

Defense should be fine in the secondary and the front 7 will be tested more than last year and they should be excited to open up at home and show their stuff. Forget the result last year and just go full bore and enjoy the night, make plays and hustle . That should be enough to get the W .

Rocks 31 P-Burg 13

Scioto at St Chucks - Irish have some ATHLETES, kids like Pannell Holsinger, Penn and rogers to name just a few can make plays , they have a few studs on defense and have too much for a what seems to be a forever rebuilding team in St Chazz Osbourne the thuuurd . Sawmill express back this year? I think it will be . Cruise here Scioto 38 St C 12

PC - Illinois -Sunday ESPN, know that this team is talented and PC is as well if not a little green in a few spots. Can't really pick this one with any confidence . But I am looking forward to watching it . I'll take a stab .

PC 20 Illinois 18

Hartley at TCC - TCC has a wagon full of athletes and some size , very impressive in a three way scrimmage with PC and Coffman , was told by a Pick fan and a Coffman fan that they are the realm deal . A lot of due respect for Hartley and what they do, but TCC may have too much here like last year. TCC is D-2 now so Hartley doesn't have to worry about them later. TCC 35 Hartley 14

Findlay at Bradley - Findlay has 8 guys back on defense I was told. Well they gave up 37 a game last year , so while there will be improvement , what does that look like? Bradley has a few studs and horses and their program Sr. QB has looked good . No transfer this year for Bradley .

Jags roll Bradley 41 Findlay 20

OUT OF AREA BIGGIES

St Edward 28 Mentor 17

Fairfield 34 C-Ville 23

Colerain 27 LaSalle 15

Looks like perfect early season football weather, warm but not humid , and a breeze. Here's hoping there is a big turnout for the Rocks tonight and of course for all teams as the kids work really hard for a short amount of time on the field that goes by fast . They deserve some support from the community. Football is a tough sport, a big commitment has to be made .

Good luck and health to all tonight , and lets hope that community's support the programs and come out for a few hours to the fields and stadiums. The kids LOVE playing in front of larger crowds and appreciate it very much . They show their appreciation most by giving great effort and playing with enthusiasm . Travel safe -Pburg fans and all fans that are traveling to games.
Old 08-24-18, 03:19 PM
All District

Berlin does get a few of those good frosh from last year, biggest one being the QB. Best WR came over but is suspended/ineligible or something.

I know absolutely nothing about Briggs other than I heard they have a 6'7 nose guard. Berlin has a lot of trouble running the ball anyway with the very young line, so not sure how much that really impacts the game.

If Berlin has success throwing this year, they can win a few games, and I expect them to get much better as the year goes along. Without seniors, though, there's only so much you can expect.