Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-02-18, 07:36 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchVigil View Post
Three excellent points. I would add the PD simply doesn't have the manpower to cover HS sports. The newsroom has almost literally been decimated in the past couple decades.

As for Lakewood, one scenario dreamed up by Ranger fans would have LHS convincing North Olmsted to jump to the GLC with them. NO is in a pretty similar socioeconomic/competitive level as Lakewood. This scenario would fix any potential bye week requirement for the SWC...and even create the opportunity for three noncon games.

I suspect GLC instabiiity is a partial factor in the ADs decision. The "Parma schools might merge" rumors never seem to subside. However, his primary reason is stubbornness. He subscribes to the macho "Just get better" philosophy, which is disastrous for the LHS program.
North Olmsted will never leave the SWC
Old 08-04-18, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVillegrad View Post
Kicking Lakewood out may be a short-sighted move. You look at the housing builds and sale price numbers in Cuyahoga County and Lakewood seems like a hot spot (pretty much everything is $200,000 and up, even in Birdtown prices are way up). Maybe, these families send their kids to private, but can't imagine these prices are simply drawing hipsters and empty nesters.

Idk, but it seems like Lakewood is drawing the same type of people who were going to places like Avon and North Ridgeville five years ago.
Nobody is kicking out Lakewood. They had a fairly significant group of parents petition the school board to leave the SWC, however. Lakewood has nice facilities and is easy to get to for most of the SWC, but their football program has become a drag on the league and a second non-league game would be much more valuable IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
North Olmsted will never leave the SWC
Agreed.
Old 08-05-18, 05:47 PM
All Yappi

My picks for the 2018 SWC. A very difficult prediction, due to so many teams in the middle (Amherst, AL, Midview, NO) being pretty much even. I don't see this being as good of a season as 2017 was for the SWC, but I hope I'm wrong.

1. Avon (10-0/9-0)
2. Olmsted Falls (9-1/8/1)
3. Berea-Midpark (7-3/7-2)
4. Midview (6-4/6-3)
5. Amherst (6-4/5-4)
6. Avon Lake (5-5/4-5)
7. North Olmsted (4-6/3-6)
8. North Ridgeville (2-8/2-7)
9. Westlake (1-9/1-8)
10. Lakewood (0-10/0-9)

Avon Lake, North Olmsted and Amherst all return great running backs, so a playoff team can come out of that group...as well as Midview...if one of those teams happen to sweep the others, or take 2 of 3 and get their non-league win. Berea-Midpark making the playoffs probably rides on whether they beat Strongsville in the season opener. I have them losing, but I think they can win that game. Avon and Olmsted Falls will decide the SWC in Week 2 at Avon. Falls is tough, but the diverse offense of Avon will give them trouble again. I believe Avon is the only SWC team capable of making a deep playoff run. Falls has the talent to win their region, but they would have to get through Avon to do it, and I don't think they will beat Avon. Avon will have their hands full with Toledo Central Catholic to try to get out of D2/R6. If Berea-Midpark gets to the the playoffs in D1/R1, they will be a quick out against Ed's, Iggy, Mentor or Euclid.
Old 08-05-18, 07:25 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
My picks for the 2018 SWC. A very difficult prediction, due to so many teams in the middle (Amherst, AL, Midview, NO) being pretty much even. I don't see this being as good of a season as 2017 was for the SWC, but I hope I'm wrong.

1. Avon (10-0/9-0)
2. Olmsted Falls (9-1/8/1)
3. Berea-Midpark (7-3/7-2)
4. Midview (6-4/6-3)
5. Amherst (6-4/5-4)
6. Avon Lake (5-5/4-5)
7. North Olmsted (4-6/3-6)
8. North Ridgeville (2-8/2-7)
9. Westlake (1-9/1-8)
10. Lakewood (0-10/0-9)

Avon Lake, North Olmsted and Amherst all return great running backs, so a playoff team can come out of that group...as well as Midview...if one of those teams happen to sweep the others, or take 2 of 3 and get their non-league win. Berea-Midpark making the playoffs probably rides on whether they beat Strongsville in the season opener. I have them losing, but I think they can win that game. Avon and Olmsted Falls will decide the SWC in Week 2 at Avon. Falls is tough, but the diverse offense of Avon will give them trouble again. I believe Avon is the only SWC team capable of making a deep playoff run. Falls has the talent to win their region, but they would have to get through Avon to do it, and I don't think they will beat Avon. Avon will have their hands full with Toledo Central Catholic to try to get out of D2/R6. If Berea-Midpark gets to the the playoffs in D1/R1, they will be a quick out against Ed's, Iggy, Mentor or Euclid.
What is your game score prediction week 1 for Berea vs. Strongsville? I am still trying to decide which game I am going to Friday 8/24. Either Berea vs. Strongsville, or St. Eds. vs.Mentor. And I know on paper the game is Eds. vs. Mentor. But my gut says Berea vs. Strongsville will be a wild shootout that could be epic. And I love those type of games. Thoughts on Berea vs. Strongsville score? Thanks for input.
Old 08-05-18, 08:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
What is your game score prediction week 1 for Berea vs. Strongsville? I am still trying to decide which game I am going to Friday 8/24. Either Berea vs. Strongsville, or St. Eds. vs.Mentor. And I know on paper the game is Eds. vs. Mentor. But my gut says Berea vs. Strongsville will be a wild shootout that could be epic. And I love those type of games. Thoughts on Berea vs. Strongsville score? Thanks for input.
I see a 42-35 type score, but I would probably do the Edís at Mentor game. A much easier trip from Erie, PA, of course.

I believe Berea-Midpark is at Avon in Week 10. Might be one to keep in mind, because we will know exactly how good B-M will be at that point. Plus, it could be for the SWC title.
Old 08-06-18, 07:41 AM
All Ohio

As far as which game is further, that rarely goes into my decision making. I try to pick out the best game of the week. That's what I'm wrestling with. Those are the 2 I have zoomed in on. As far as week 10, I will be going to St. Eds. vs. St. Ignatius at First Energy. So Berea vs. Avon is out. So struggling to decide which week 1 Friday to go to, as well as week 2. Avon vs. Olmstead Falls or Hudson vs. Strongsville. Same problem week 3. Ignatius at Euclid, Erie Prep at St. Eds, Stow at Solon, Avon vs Avon Lake. It's tough trying to pick each week sometimes. But it's a nice problem to have.
Old 08-06-18, 07:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
As far as which game is further, that rarely goes into my decision making. I try to pick out the best game of the week. That's what I'm wrestling with. Those are the 2 I have zoomed in on. As far as week 10, I will be going to St. Eds. vs. St. Ignatius at First Energy. So Berea vs. Avon is out. So struggling to decide which week 1 Friday to go to, as well as week 2. Avon vs. Olmstead Falls or Hudson vs. Strongsville. Same problem week 3. Ignatius at Euclid, Erie Prep at St. Eds, Stow at Solon, Avon vs Avon Lake. It's tough trying to pick each week sometimes. But it's a nice problem to have.
Week 2 is Falls at Avon for sure. Both teams are better than Hudson this year, IMO, and youíll have just seen Strongsville the prior week.
Old 08-06-18, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

It's a smorgasbord of Ohio HS football. I am very blessed to have this high end type of football all within 2 hours of me. And the choices every week can be tough, but it is definitely a great problem to have. We do not have the type of football in Erie that I get every Friday/Saturday in NEO!! Fired up, pumped, and ready to get on I90 heading west!!
Old 08-07-18, 04:17 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
I know Lakewood has been making a push, lead by their athletic director, to get the numbers up. Any word on if the AD is having success in that regard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-18, 07:14 PM
All District

Mike Gully is on a distinguished road
Just adding NO would never leave the SWC. They are wayyyy more competitive than Lakewood in football.
Old 08-08-18, 08:50 AM
All Ohio

Olmsted Falls Man
My predictions
1. Avon
2. Olmsted Falls
3. Avon Lake
4. Berea Midpark
5. Midview
6. Amherst
7. North Olmsted
8. North Ridgeville
9. Westlake
10. Lakewood

Should be some great battles. Not a ton of separation between 1-7. Avon still team to beat. And I completely agree about shrinking the Conference down to 8 or 9. That or split into two divisions. Get 3 Non Conference Games back with a few crossover games. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Last edited by Olmsted Falls Man; 08-08-18 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-08-18, 04:22 PM
All District

MitchVigil is on a distinguished road
Lakewood Coach

Here's an interview with new Lakewood Coach Tom Thome.
It mentions the program's numbers.

http://lakewoodobserver.com/read/201...d-to-be-at-lhs
Old 08-08-18, 07:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmsted Falls Man View Post
My predictions
1. Avon
2. Olmsted Falls
3. Avon Lake
4. Berea Midpark
5. Midview
6. Amherst
7. North Olmsted
8. North Ridgeville
9. Westlake
10. Lakewood

Should be some great battles. Not a ton of separation between 1-7. Avon still team to beat. And I completely agree about shrinking the Conference down to 8 or 9. That or split into two divisions. Get 3 Non Conference Games back with a few crossover games. Looking forward to the upcoming season.
Knowing that it sounds like week 2 COULD be for the league title:
1. Will they get a huge crowd?
2. Will it be a close game?
3. Will it be close for awhile, then Avon blows them away?
4. Can Falls pull off the upset?

Thoughts and opinions?
Old 08-09-18, 06:04 AM
All District

poursomebrewonit is on a distinguished road
An Avon preview:

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...nd-camp-visit/

Bkmk1, to answer your questions:
1. Relatively speaking itll be a largecrowd. The two communities are pretty close in proximity and OF was the biggest challenge for Avon in the regular season last year and will most likely be that again this year. I think the crowd will be good.
2 and 3. I think 3 is likely. Watching the games from last year, game 1 Avon just seemed to grind down OF. Avon has good depth and it showed. Game 2 I think the effects of a long season showed for OF. Avon just handled them in every way. I know it's a new team and new year but my guess is it's close for the first half and then the depth of Avon wears down OF.
4. Absolutely they can pull off the upset.

Cjb will have some better answers for you probably but that's what I think the game will be like. Avon returns some really good players including their QB so itll be a tough matchup for OF but the way they've been trending the last few years should make it a good early season matchup.
Old 08-09-18, 06:44 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by poursomebrewonit View Post
An Avon preview:

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...nd-camp-visit/

Bkmk1, to answer your questions:
1. Relatively speaking itll be a largecrowd. The two communities are pretty close in proximity and OF was the biggest challenge for Avon in the regular season last year and will most likely be that again this year. I think the crowd will be good.
2 and 3. I think 3 is likely. Watching the games from last year, game 1 Avon just seemed to grind down OF. Avon has good depth and it showed. Game 2 I think the effects of a long season showed for OF. Avon just handled them in every way. I know it's a new team and new year but my guess is it's close for the first half and then the depth of Avon wears down OF.
4. Absolutely they can pull off the upset.

Cjb will have some better answers for you probably but that's what I think the game will be like. Avon returns some really good players including their QB so itll be a tough matchup for OF but the way they've been trending the last few years should make it a good early season matchup.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Maybe CJB will chime in with his thoughts as well.
Old 08-09-18, 08:02 AM
Junior Varsity

pgf1582 is on a distinguished road
Week 2 could be for the title, but there is a long season to go after that. Avon is rarely beatable during the season vs SWC teams, but it has happened. Midview got them twice in 2014, in 2015 they lost to Midview and went triple ot against North Olmsted, Avon Lake got them in the playoffs in 2016 and last year it was a grind vs Ridgeville. Avon Lake , Ridgeville , Amherst return tons. Berea and North Olmsted have division 1 commits. Should be fun
Old 08-13-18, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Maybe CJB will chime in with his thoughts as well.
I agree with that assesment, actually. But as the previous post to this one points out, Avon can be had on the right night. Falls will battle them hard.
Old 08-13-18, 10:15 AM
Junior Varsity

pgf1582 is on a distinguished road
Berea-Massillon scrimmage info below. Sounds like Berea scored some points and also gave up points as expected.

http://fridaynightohio.com/news/1415...ond-scrimmage/
Old 08-14-18, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf1582 View Post
Berea-Massillon scrimmage info below. Sounds like Berea scored some points and also gave up points as expected.

http://fridaynightohio.com/news/1415...ond-scrimmage/
If Berea-Midpark can play some average defense they will win a lot of games.
Old 08-14-18, 04:55 PM
All Ohio

Can Avon Lake hang with Avon week 3? Lots of points?
Old 08-14-18, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Can Avon Lake hang with Avon week 3? Lots of points?
There are been some games that havenít been as close as expected, but for the most part you can always expect a good game from these two neighbors.
Old 08-14-18, 06:46 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
There are been some games that havenít been as close as expected, but for the most part you can always expect a good game from these two neighbors.
I remember the stunner in the playoffs a couple years ago when Avon was the 1 seed and Avon Lake was the 8 and took them down. I'm sure they have had some battles over the years. Could that sell out? Better game to see: Avon vs. Falls, or Avon vs. Lake?
Old 08-15-18, 11:31 AM
All District

poursomebrewonit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I remember the stunner in the playoffs a couple years ago when Avon was the 1 seed and Avon Lake was the 8 and took them down. I'm sure they have had some battles over the years. Could that sell out? Better game to see: Avon vs. Falls, or Avon vs. Lake?
In my opinion, OF vs Avon will be a better football game. AL vs Avon will be a better atmosphere. I think OF has a better team than AL and I wouldn't be surprised if OF's only loss of the year is against Avon. I also believe OF has a better chance of knocking off Avon than AL does. But as the old cliche goes, anything can happen, especially in a rivalry like AL vs Avon. Both AL and OF COULD knock off Avon. Avon will have a target on them no matter what team they are playing especially in the conference, so I think you'll see a good game regardless of which one you pick between these two.
Old 08-15-18, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by poursomebrewonit View Post
In my opinion, OF vs Avon will be a better football game. AL vs Avon will be a better atmosphere. I think OF has a better team than AL and I wouldn't be surprised if OF's only loss of the year is against Avon. I also believe OF has a better chance of knocking off Avon than AL does. But as the old cliche goes, anything can happen, especially in a rivalry like AL vs Avon. Both AL and OF COULD knock off Avon. Avon will have a target on them no matter what team they are playing especially in the conference, so I think you'll see a good game regardless of which one you pick between these two.
Thanks for your feedback, poursome..., I really appreciate it. I think the SWC has some of the most exciting high scoring games around. I love coming over to watch those games. I have decided to go to Eds at Mentor week 1 Friday and Hoban at Ignatius on Saturday. So maybe week 2 and 3 I'll check out the 2 SWC games. Week 2 is probably for the conference title, and week 3 is like you said a major rivalry good atmosphere game. What will the atmosphere be like at the Falls vs Avon game be like. Either game packed or even a sell out?
Old 08-15-18, 05:14 PM
All Ohio

Olmsted Falls Man
Those will all be very good games.

I saw that Olmsted Falls will be starting a Freshman at MIKE linebacker this season. It is the first Freshman to start for them since 1997 when Jamal Bryant started at Defensive End.
Old 08-19-18, 12:06 AM
All Region

Bluestreak1980 is on a distinguished road
Bkmk1 how does McDowell look this year? Just curious because we scrimmaged them back in the 90’s and were always a solid program.
Old 08-19-18, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

Here we go! The only week of non-league play in the SWC (unfortunately) brings the only chance at outside Harbin's to help SWC teams in playoff positioning, so it's important to get as many wins as possible. As a note, Berea-Midpark is D1 and competes in R1. All other SWC schools are D2 and in R6. Winners in bold.

Amherst at Clearview (D4) -- Amherst is too big and strong for the Clippers, but Clearview may not lose another game, so this is an important game for Amherst for playoff points

Akron Buchtel (D4) at Avon (Thursday) -- Not the bigtime opener Avon was looking for, but Buchtel is a program that will give Avon all it wants and the Griffins should win six or seven games to help the Eagles with playoff points

Avon Lake at Elyria (D1) -- The Shoremen will win this game, but it will be a close win if history repeats itself. Avon Lake typically starts the season slow and builds up steam along the way

Berea-Midpark (D1) at Strongsville (D1) -- This would be a very solid win for B-M if they can play enough defense to win a shootout. I feel like the home team will win a tight one

Garfield Hts (D2) at Lakewood -- Nice to read the numbers are up at Lakewood, but the number of wins this season will still be zero for the Rangers

Lorain (D1) at Midview -- The Middies have won this game repeatedly over some very talented Lorain teams, but I think the Titans get it done this time

Valley Forge (D2) at North Olmsted -- The Eagles, led by the talented Darren Anders, will outrun the Patriots to get the season off to a good start

North Ridgeville at North Royalton (D2) -- These two have squared off in some entertaining games over the years, but I think the Bears win fairly handily this time

Brecksville (D2) at Olmsted Falls -- The Bees have talent, but Falls has more and should pull away from Brecksville for a comfortable win

Westlake at Eastlake North (D2) -- The Demons are in for a tough season again

Looks like a 5-5 start for the SWC with no earth-shattering wins.
Old 08-19-18, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Steele
Avon
Avon Lake
Strongsville
Garfield Hts
Midview
N Olmsted
N Royalton
Olmsted Falls
Eastlake N
Old 08-19-18, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
Steele
Avon
Avon Lake
Strongsville
Garfield Hts
Midview
N Olmsted
N Royalton
Olmsted Falls
Eastlake N
Just as an FYI, I don't run a picks contest or anything, but I definitely enjoy seeing other people's picks for the games each week. Your pick of Midview is noted, especially, because Lorain has a lot of firepower returning.

What does Buchtel look like this season? They gave some solid teams some very good games last year.
Old 08-19-18, 11:07 AM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Buchtel will be a tough out. Lots of speed (but a lack of discipline) Not a knock just going on previous seasons. Midview-Lorain game could go either way IMO. Home field could be the difference. Most other games definitely have a favorite.