Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-28-18, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Southwestern Conference (NEO) 2018

2017 was a banner year for the SWC, with Avon and Olmsted Falls meeting for a regional championship in North Ridgeville's great new stadium. Olmsted Falls knocking out unbeaten Wadsworth, beating Brecksville...Avon's win in Florida...and Midview's win over Lorain were a few of the notable wins by SWC schools in 2017.

What will 2018 bring? That's what I'd like to hear from SWC followers before I offer up any predicted standings. Just some early discussion of schedules, players, teams, coaches, etc.

Some themes that interest me are:

- Can Avon make another deep playoff run?
- Can Olmsted Falls get past Avon in 2018 and win the SWC?
- Will Midview make another run at the SWC title?
- Can Berea-Midpark outscore everyone on the way to the SWC title?
- Is this the year Amherst returns to the playoffs?
- Does Avon Lake have enough to return to playoff form?
- Will North Olmsted, led by D. Anders, return to playoff form?
- Can North Ridgeville and Westlake find some consistency as programs?
- Will Lakewood leave the SWC and open up a much-needed second non-league football game for the remaining nine SWC schools?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-18, 12:37 AM
All District

Mike Gully is on a distinguished road
Is Lakewood leaving the SWC a real possibility or just speculation. I would like to see Lakewood leave and get into a bigger school conference. Again more speculation but I would love to see a

Lakewood
Strongsville
Brunswick
Medina
Elyria
Berea-Midpark
Lorain

Conference form. West side big schools. Not a fan of the GCC even though it is a good fit for most schools already there. SWC has too many teams in my opinion. I doubt there will be much conference shifting over the next 5 years but again just talking about opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-18, 08:13 AM
All Region

bb9
Lakewood makes too much sense in the GLC not to move.
Old 07-29-18, 08:17 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Lakewood football is in wretched shape. I’ve heard no talk of anyone jumping ship from the SWC.

Avon has a very good QB and incredible numbers out, with a strong offseason lifting program.

Falls needs to replace a good O-line, but have pretty much all their skill players back and a QB that really understands DeLuca’s offense. Cjb56 is correct in that they need to find a way to hurdle the Eagles.

I see a drop off from Midview, and a move up from Berea-Midpark as well as Amherst. Berea had a couple weak classes back-to-back that are now gone, and need to really shore up the defense, and Amherst has some decent classes upcoming.

Looking forward to another interesting season in this league!
Old 07-29-18, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gully View Post
Is Lakewood leaving the SWC a real possibility or just speculation. I would like to see Lakewood leave and get into a bigger school conference. Again more speculation but I would love to see a

Lakewood
Strongsville
Brunswick
Medina
Elyria
Berea-Midpark
Lorain

Conference form. West side big schools. Not a fan of the GCC even though it is a good fit for most schools already there. SWC has too many teams in my opinion. I doubt there will be much conference shifting over the next 5 years but again just talking about opinions.
This league will not happen in that form, as there is no way Lakewood will ever be a part of it. They are afraid of the SWC competition as it is, so there is no way they join a league with even bigger schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb9 View Post
Lakewood makes too much sense in the GLC not to move.
This is far more likely, and the competition level is something they could handle in most sports, but they would still struggle in football. I believe this is what the community wants, and are actively pressing the school board for, but the administration doesn't want to give up on the SWC from what I've been told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Lakewood football is in wretched shape. I’ve heard no talk of anyone jumping ship from the SWC.

Avon has a very good QB and incredible numbers out, with a strong offseason lifting program.

Falls needs to replace a good O-line, but have pretty much all their skill players back and a QB that really understands DeLuca’s offense. Cjb56 is correct in that they need to find a way to hurdle the Eagles.

I see a drop off from Midview, and a move up from Berea-Midpark as well as Amherst. Berea had a couple weak classes back-to-back that are now gone, and need to really shore up the defense, and Amherst has some decent classes upcoming.

Looking forward to another interesting season in this league!
I don't think Falls, or anyone, unseats Avon this year, though it feels like Falls has passed Midview in the SWC pecking order. But I just can't see Midview going into a big slump into the pack. They have been too good for too long...but we all saw it happen to Avon Lake for a bit, so I guess anything is possible...including Avon losing to a fellow SWC team. Berea-Midpark is interesting to me, because they have the potential to win some shootouts with the big boys of the SWC on a given night. And I do believe this will be a breakthrough season for Amherst. I picked them as an R6 playoff team in another thread. I feel North Olmsted can be dangerous, and is due for a strong season.
Old 07-29-18, 09:45 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
I'll go:

1. Avon
2. Olmsted Falls
3. Avon Lake
4. Midview
5. Berea-Midpark
6. North Olmsted
7. Amherst Steele
8. Westlake
9. North Ridgeville
10. Lakewood
Old 07-29-18, 10:14 AM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
I'm looking at the week 1 schedule. Berea plays Strongsville. Can Berea hang with them? Curious because that is 1 of the games I'm considering going to. Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 07-29-18, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I'm looking at the week 1 schedule. Berea plays Strongsville. Can Berea hang with them? Curious because that is 1 of the games I'm considering going to. Thoughts? Thanks.
I think B-M can hang with them, and even beat them if S'Ville has real trouble defending the pass.

Check out Buchtel at Avon on Thursday night, for a warm-up to the Friday and Saturday games.
Old 07-29-18, 11:06 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
I think B-M can hang with them, and even beat them if S'Ville has real trouble defending the pass.

Check out Buchtel at Avon on Thursday night, for a warm-up to the Friday and Saturday games.
Won't Avon handle them?? Plus I work in Education, school will be in it's first week, and I'm going somewhere Friday (either Eds at Mentor, or Berea at Strongsville), then coming back Saturday for Hoban at Ignatius. All are 2 hour trips for me (except Mentor- 1 1/2 hours). So that's 4 hours per day.
Old 07-29-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Won't Avon handle them?? Plus I work in Education, school will be in it's first week, and I'm going somewhere Friday (either Eds at Mentor, or Berea at Strongsville), then coming back Saturday for Hoban at Ignatius. All are 2 hour trips for me (except Mentor- 1 1/2 hours). So that's 4 hours per day.
Avon will win, but Buchtel won't roll over. They play tough and they are used to taking on very good teams. It's not the opener Avon wanted, but it's still a solid opener.

I would go to Ed's vs Mentor over B-M vs Strongsville.
Old 07-29-18, 04:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Avon will win, but Buchtel won't roll over. They play tough and they are used to taking on very good teams. It's not the opener Avon wanted, but it's still a solid opener.

On paper I 100% agree I should go to Eds vs. Mentor. But I am very intrigued by the Berea at Strongsville game. I love watching high powered passing teams and high scoring games. Berea has a stud at Qb and great passing attack. I can see Berea vs Strongsville scoring a combined 80-100 points. Mentor typically has a high powered offense as well, but breaking in new QB, and many new players. Plus playing Eds that typically doesn't give up a lot of points. I could probably see Berea vs. Amherst, Avon Lake, and or Midview. So I guess If I really want to see Berea, which I do, I have 3 other potential games to see them in. Rank those 3 games as games to see.

Berea vs Midview
Berea vs. Avon Lake
Berea vs. Amherst

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-29-18, 04:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

I had heard at one point that Avon was going to open with Mentor. I would have jumped to see that game. But either it was either a false rumor, or something happened???
Old 07-29-18, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I had heard at one point that Avon was going to open with Mentor. I would have jumped to see that game. But either it was either a false rumor, or something happened???
It almost happened. Avon needed an opener and and it strongly wanted it to be a home game, to make it five for the season. The problem was it could only be a one year deal, since Avon signed a home and home with Lorain for their only non-SWC game for 2019 and 2020. Since Mentor couldn’t get a return home game, they naturally wanted a good chunk of money. As the two schools were negotiating the money, Ed’s swooped in and offered Mentor a very large sum of money and agreed to play AT Mentor, so that was a no-brainer for Mentor to accept. Avon had to scramble for a game. It looked like they might open at western PA traditional power Woodland Hills, but Buchtel offered to play at Avon, so that’s what happened. A solid opener, but it would have been awesome to have Mentor at Avon for the opener.
Old 07-29-18, 04:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
On paper I 100% agree I should go to Eds vs. Mentor. But I am very intrigued by the Berea at Strongsville game. I love watching high powered passing teams and high scoring games. Berea has a stud at Qb and great passing attack. I can see Berea vs Strongsville scoring a combined 80-100 points. Mentor typically has a high powered offense as well, but breaking in new QB, and many new players. Plus playing Eds that typically doesn't give up a lot of points. I could probably see Berea vs. Amherst, Avon Lake, and or Midview. So I guess If I really want to see Berea, which I do, I have 3 other potential games to see them in. Rank those 3 games as games to see.

Berea vs Midview
Berea vs. Avon Lake
Berea vs. Amherst

Thanks for your input.
Amherst. They will be fun to watch.
Old 07-29-18, 05:38 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Did Avon really contact MS Marion Local?

Old 07-29-18, 05:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
Did Avon really contact MS Marion Local?

It is very possible. They were in full scramble mode for a game at one point.

I think Cardinal Mooney was another that they tried to do something with back then.

I’m just glad to see them getting the series with Lorain. I always envied Midview for having that game as an opener.
Old 07-29-18, 07:22 PM
Cooling Off

Cougarfan222 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm going somewhere Friday (either Eds at Mentor, or Berea at Strongsville), then coming back Saturday for Hoban at Ignatius. All are 2 hour trips for me (except Mentor- 1 1/2 hours). So that's 4 hours per day.
The Hoban / Ignatius game looks to be a great one. Hoban has more firepower this year than people realize. They have a weight program that is unreal, a staff that is one of the best in the state, an offensive line that is dominating, and one of the best running back combos you will see this year.
Old 07-29-18, 08:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan222 View Post
The Hoban / Ignatius game looks to be a great one. Hoban has more firepower this year than people realize. They have a weight program that is unreal, a staff that is one of the best in the state, an offensive line that is dominating, and one of the best running back combos you will see this year.
And a Sophomore stud at QB that grew as a player immensely over the course of his freshman season last year. He's the real deal as well.
Old 07-30-18, 09:07 AM
All Region

Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Would've loved to see Avon do a home-and-home with Massillon, and just not scrimmage them.
Old 07-30-18, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. General View Post
Would've loved to see Avon do a home-and-home with Massillon, and just not scrimmage them.
Would be good, but Avon...and the other SWC teams...are extremely limited, due to the nine game round-robin league schedule weeks 2-10. It's being tweaked starting in 2019, so the one non-league game for each SWC team aren't all on Week 1. That way the 10 SWC teams aren't all competing against each other for a decent opener. For example, Avon's one non-SWC game is Week 2 next year and in 2020 versus Lorain. That means the opener will be a league game.

The best thing, IMO, will be if Lakewood's parents get their way and leave the SWC. That will create a much-needed second non-league game.
Old 07-30-18, 11:48 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Would be good, but Avon...and the other SWC teams...are extremely limited, due to the nine game round-robin league schedule weeks 2-10. It's being tweaked starting in 2019, so the one non-league game for each SWC team aren't all on Week 1. That way the 10 SWC teams aren't all competing against each other for a decent opener. For example, Avon's one non-SWC game is Week 2 next year and in 2020 versus Lorain. That means the opener will be a league game.
Will that be limited to Weeks 1-2-3, or could there be some non-league games any or every week?
Old 07-30-18, 09:22 PM
All District

MitchVigil is on a distinguished road
Lakewood

Many (if not most) Ranger fans would like to see them go to the GLC. There was even a petition by parents last spring.

However, the school's AD opposes a switch. The Lakewood School Board does not give a damn about sports, so the AD's decision stands.
I don't think a few more 0-10 or 1-9 seasons will change his mind.
Old 07-31-18, 06:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchVigil View Post
Many (if not most) Ranger fans would like to see them go to the GLC. There was even a petition by parents last spring.

However, the school's AD opposes a switch. The Lakewood School Board does not give a damn about sports, so the AD's decision stands.
I don't think a few more 0-10 or 1-9 seasons will change his mind.
I remember that. It's a shame it's being stonewalled by the AD. Yes, I'm sure the AD sees the value in remaining in the SWC, but when the community itself has another preference it's worth considering.
Old 07-31-18, 06:56 AM
Junior Varsity

pgf1582 is on a distinguished road
Usually not to impressed by them, but Great job by the Morning Journal yesterday. A few SWC teams included in their first day coverage yesterday. Www.morningjournal.com/highschoolsports
Old 07-31-18, 12:33 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf1582 View Post
Usually not to impressed by them, but Great job by the Morning Journal yesterday. A few SWC teams included in their first day coverage yesterday. Www.morningjournal.com/highschoolsports

The morning journal and it’s sister paper on the east side run circles around the plain dealer. They have this crazy idea that actual reporting, including covering games, face to face interviews and building a relationship with schools and communities is somehow better than a few tweets and “twitter video” paired with a paragraph that some slap sent after giving the shadow man the once over.

Old 07-31-18, 05:56 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
The morning journal and it’s sister paper on the east side run circles around the plain dealer. They have this crazy idea that actual reporting, including covering games, face to face interviews and building a relationship with schools and communities is somehow better than a few tweets and “twitter video” paired with a paragraph that some slap sent after giving the shadow man the once over.

Well put, E.S.
Old 07-31-18, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
In fairness, the Morning Journal and News-Herald also have less of a footprint to cover than the PD/NEOMG. The ownership group for the MJ & NH has been navigating financial trouble in recent years - FYI.

If the SWC goes down to nine (Lakewood leaves), that would create the need for a bye week throughout the season, which would mean having to find a non-league game during time when there aren't as many available teams.

I don't want to speculate on Lakewood's intentions, but I would think that the athletic director values the relative stability of the SWC vs. the "catch all" nature of the GLC.
Old 07-31-18, 09:19 PM
All District

MitchVigil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
In fairness, the Morning Journal and News-Herald also have less of a footprint to cover than the PD/NEOMG. The ownership group for the MJ & NH has been navigating financial trouble in recent years - FYI.

If the SWC goes down to nine (Lakewood leaves), that would create the need for a bye week throughout the season, which would mean having to find a non-league game during time when there aren't as many available teams.

I don't want to speculate on Lakewood's intentions, but I would think that the athletic director values the relative stability of the SWC vs. the "catch all" nature of the GLC.

Three excellent points. I would add the PD simply doesn't have the manpower to cover HS sports. The newsroom has almost literally been decimated in the past couple decades.

As for Lakewood, one scenario dreamed up by Ranger fans would have LHS convincing North Olmsted to jump to the GLC with them. NO is in a pretty similar socioeconomic/competitive level as Lakewood. This scenario would fix any potential bye week requirement for the SWC...and even create the opportunity for three noncon games.

I suspect GLC instabiiity is a partial factor in the ADs decision. The "Parma schools might merge" rumors never seem to subside. However, his primary reason is stubbornness. He subscribes to the macho "Just get better" philosophy, which is disastrous for the LHS program.
Old 08-01-18, 08:10 PM
All Region

How have two a days been so far at Ridgeville....

Old 08-02-18, 12:40 AM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchVigil View Post
Three excellent points. I would add the PD simply doesn't have the manpower to cover HS sports. The newsroom has almost literally been decimated in the past couple decades.

As for Lakewood, one scenario dreamed up by Ranger fans would have LHS convincing North Olmsted to jump to the GLC with them. NO is in a pretty similar socioeconomic/competitive level as Lakewood. This scenario would fix any potential bye week requirement for the SWC...and even create the opportunity for three noncon games.

I suspect GLC instabiiity is a partial factor in the ADs decision. The "Parma schools might merge" rumors never seem to subside. However, his primary reason is stubbornness. He subscribes to the macho "Just get better" philosophy, which is disastrous for the LHS program.
Kicking Lakewood out may be a short-sighted move. You look at the housing builds and sale price numbers in Cuyahoga County and Lakewood seems like a hot spot (pretty much everything is $200,000 and up, even in Birdtown prices are way up). Maybe, these families send their kids to private, but can't imagine these prices are simply drawing hipsters and empty nesters.

Idk, but it seems like Lakewood is drawing the same type of people who were going to places like Avon and North Ridgeville five years ago.