Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-10-18, 11:12 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I don't like that a team can repeat franchising a guy, but that's the NFLPA's fault. I also don't have much sympathy for him when he's guaranteed being paid as a top 5 back and would make $853K a game. He also purportedly told teammates he was coming in then left them hanging.
It perplexes me how weak and pathetic the NFLPA is, especially compared to the NBPA.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-18, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
It perplexes me how weak and pathetic the NFLPA is, especially compared to the NBPA.
Welcome back. Long time no see. They are clearly the weakest of the major sports unions.
Old 09-16-18, 12:48 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Wow. What happened to the defense ?
Old 09-16-18, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Garbage first quarter. Settling down now
Old 09-16-18, 01:35 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Steelers paid refs off lmaao.
Old 09-16-18, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

This is such a poorly coached team. I kind of hope they start out like 0-4-1 just to put the FO in a position where they can't ignore how sh!tty Tomlin and his staff actually are.
Old 09-17-18, 06:44 AM
All World

Bballer05
quite possibly the worst defense i've ever seen.
Old 09-17-18, 08:34 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Two people are at the root cause of this crapshow.

1 Tomlin. His lack-of-discipline over the years has lead to much of we see right now with players acting like primaddona's, calling out others on their contracts (although I was fine with people destroying bell)

2. Bell. His lack of commitment to those players, the fans and the franchise has lead to this. Last year the slow start on offense and ultimately dropping games early and losing out on HF advantage and of course this year has cost this franchise a legit show at another ring.
Old 09-17-18, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Two people are at the root cause of this crapshow.

1 Tomlin. His lack-of-discipline over the years has lead to much of we see right now with players acting like primaddona's, calling out others on their contracts (although I was fine with people destroying bell)

2. Bell. His lack of commitment to those players, the fans and the franchise has lead to this. Last year the slow start on offense and ultimately dropping games early and losing out on HF advantage and of course this year has cost this franchise a legit show at another ring.
You might want to add a third culprit....whoever is running that defense. I know they miss Shazier The old members of that Steel Curtain defense are probably vomiting every time they watch those guys. They just got lit up to the tune of 6 TD passes by a QB in his third NFL start.
Old 09-17-18, 08:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR1986FB View Post
You might want to add a third culprit....whoever is running that defense. I know they miss Shazier The old members of that Steel Curtain defense are probably vomiting every time they watch those guys. They just got lit up to the tune of 6 TD passes by a QB in his third NFL start.
Yes, they miss Shazier but they just don't have the talent up and down like they used to.

Look where all the money is being spent in recent memory.

The offense.

I have always been a fan of the 3-4 but its weakness is a short, quick passing attack and that is what the NFL has become. The talent is all pretty much on one side of the ball right now.
Old 09-17-18, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yes, they miss Shazier but they just don't have the talent up and down like they used to.

Look where all the money is being spent in recent memory.

The offense.
I get it but it could be worse. As your own GM (Colbert) said "paying a big check to a QB is something I'm more than happy to write." But Jesus, 60 passes in one game?
Old 09-17-18, 09:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I get it but it could be worse. As your own GM (Colbert) said "paying a big check to a QB is something I'm more than happy to write." But Jesus, 60 passes in one game?
Going down 21 contributed to that no doubt.
Old 09-17-18, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The defense had a lot to do with that. The 60 passes wasn't the problem. The defense sucks through 2 weeks. Makes you wonder with the rules where a defense can't breathe on the QB how many passes will be thrown this year.
Old 09-17-18, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
This is such a poorly coached team. I kind of hope they start out like 0-4-1 just to put the FO in a position where they can't ignore how sh!tty Tomlin and his staff actually are.
Same. An 0-4-1 start couldn’t happen to a better fanbase or team.
Old 09-17-18, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

I keep reading people complaining about the lack of talent on defense, but I really don't see it unless you expect the Steelers to field a Top 5 defense every season for all time.

- The biggest weakness is ILB and that's mostly due to losing Shazier. I think they would have addressed this more solidly if Bell's contract situation was figured out, and drafting Edmunds seemingly has a S/ILB hybrid, Shazier-replacement has Tomlin written all over it - a lot of people seem to praise Tomlin as a talent evaluator but he's really only been good at identifying RB and WR talent.

- They've whiffed on a couple OLBs (Dupree, Jones), but Watt is a gem.

- Heyward, Hargrave, and Tuitt are at least as good as the 2010 DL (Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, 33 y/o Casey Hampton).

- Joe Haden and Artie Burns are as good a combo as they've had since Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend, and Hilton is probably the best slot/nickel guy they've had since McFadden.

- Burnett, Davis, and Edmunds are fine safeties. They're not Ryan Clark-Troy Polamalu, but you're always going to think safety is a weakness if that is your benchmark.

If there's something to complain about, it's the coaching. The talent on this defense is good enough to be in the top 1/2 of the league, but they're obviously in a bad scheme and poorly coached. The tackling in particular is just atrocious, not to mention the stupid, undisciplined penalties.
Old 09-17-18, 12:04 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Agree with crusaders, the Steeler d is loaded with talent. Coaches just need to teach them to tackle.
Old 09-17-18, 12:10 PM
All Yappi

The Steeler's offense is exceptional....the defense sucks. Anyone who doesn't see this is wearing Black & Yellow goggles. They can stop the run but that secondary? Woof !

It's possible it may not happen but I expect Ryan Fitzpatrick to light up that "good a combo" and "fine safeties" secondary like a Christmas tree.

Joe Haden was overrated trash when the Browns released him and I haven't seen any career "renaissance" since he's gone to the Burgh.
Old 09-17-18, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

The defense does suck, but it's mostly due to sh!tty coaching.
Old 09-17-18, 12:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The defense does suck, but it's mostly due to sh!tty coaching.
Players make plays, not the coaches.

I know a lot of Steeler fans who ripped on Haley when he was OC in Pittsburgh. He's probably not the best OC on the planet but it's about execution.

The coaches put the game plan on the field and it's up to the players to execute it.

For everyone who says "Haley called a bad game", I can say "the players didn't execute properly." If your players are good enough, you can tell them "the ball's coming right here, try to stop it" and if the player who made that comment is physically superior, it's not going to matter because they won't stop it.
Old 09-17-18, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

Nonsense. Coaches put players in the right position to make plays. Coaches are in charge of making sure their guys execute properly. Coaches are in charge of making sure the players are prepared and discipline. Players simply have to know their role and do their job.

Of course, talent can overcome bad coaching to an extent, but the Steelers have 3 awful playoff wins in 8 years with one of the most talented teams in the league most of those years. I don't want to hear about a lack of execution by the players; it's on Tomlin, Haley, Butler, Fitchner, etc. Their schemes. Their failure.
Old 09-17-18, 12:38 PM
All Yappi

They were ranked 5th (overall) in defense last year (12th the year before) so now they've suddenly fallen off a cliff? Did they overhaul their personnel?
Old 09-17-18, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

The only differences in personnel from last year are Shazier and Mike Mitchell. They have Bostic and Burnett in their place. Are you trying to argue that one ILB has turned this defense into a sieve?
Old 09-17-18, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

No. What I'm trying to say that if it was a top 5 defense LAST year suddenly the coaches forgot how to coach? Unless they had a complete overhaul of their personnel their defense should at least be decent. They're not.

If the Browns had a decent QB out there week 1, they would've probably lit up Pittsburgh's secondary too.

I'll be very interested to see if Ryan Fitzpatrick continues to make secondaries his beeotch in week 3 at the expense of the Steelers.
Old 09-17-18, 12:56 PM
All Yappi

Lol

Old 09-17-18, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

It's far more likely the schemes this year are garbage than the same group of talent, sans Shazier, forgot how to play their positions. Or that other teams figured out their weaknesses and the coaches haven't been able to make any counter-adjustments.

No one was going to get lit up in that rain.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does. I don't expect Tomlin to do anything but suck at coaching.
Old 09-17-18, 01:01 PM
All Yappi

Tomlin isn’t getting fired anytime soon. The Steelers wrote the book on coaching continuity.
Old 09-17-18, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Lol

My girlfriend said "maybe he's having trouble growing back the hair after battling the cancer he had" and I said "no, it's a very sh!tty haircut."
Old 09-17-18, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't expect Tomlin to do anything but suck at coaching.
He's good at trying to trip guys if they get too close to the sideline.
Old 09-17-18, 05:47 PM
All Yappi

Fact is that defense does not have any difference makers like they have had in the past. They dont strike fear into any offense anymore.
Old 09-17-18, 07:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Fact is that defense does not have any difference makers like they have had in the past. They dont strike fear into any offense anymore.
Watt seems to be doing ok but he doesn't have that cheap shot artist/intimidation factor like James Harrison used to. But in today's league, I doubt we see those type of players (headhunters) going forward.