Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-26-18, 08:26 AM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
After sophomore QB Ian Kipp's memorable opener yesterday, here is a look at some other sophomore starting QB's at Mentor:

Thom Abbott (2001) - I don't have stats, but Mentor finished 7-3 that season. Abbott took a big jump his junior season, but he still had a solid sophomore season.

Bart Tanski (2005) - In his first game at QB, Tanski was sharing reps with junior Kellen Oleksak. Tanski was viewed as more of the mobile QB and Oleksak was given more of the pass opportunities. In Tanski's first varsity game (Week 1 against Glenville), he threw four passes - all of them incomplete. As the season went on, Tanski was eventually handed the reigns. In a somewhat limited role, the future Mr Football star had a sophomore season line of 42-76, 503 yards, 4 TD's, 2 INT's. Tanski had 406 net rushing yards on 110 attempts.

Mitch Trubisky (2010) - In his first varsity game, Trubisky was still on part-time duty behind regular starter Colton Wallace. In Week 1 at Browns Stadium, Mentor had to deal with the eventual state champion (and one of the most dominant teams the past ten years) St Edward Eagles. Trubisky had some opportunities here and there, finishing with a line of 5-9, 112 yards, and the only passing touchdown of the game for Mentor. I didn't see NFL in his future, but I remember watching him feeling very encouraged with his play. Ten weeks later against the same Eagles, Trubisky was the full-time starter and was 14-21, 145 yards. No TD's or INT's. That was a heavy running team. Trubisky's final sophomore line was 77-138, 1,218 yards, and 9 TD's. Not too shabby considering he didn't become the full-time starter until Week 3 or 4.

Matt Eiswerth (2013) - One of the greatest "what ifs?" in recent Mentor sports history. In the aftermath of graduating another Mr Football, Mitch Trubisky, Mentor was looking for a new QB in 2013. Stud athlete Conner Krizancic was transitioning to the position after two excellent seasons at receiver. Conner grew up playing the position and now was his time. But his arm was not in good shape by the end of the preseason. Eiswerth stepped in and started the final scrimmage, Week 1, and Week 2. After a sharp scrimmage filling in for Krizancic, Eiswerth was given the start against Erie McDowell in Week 1. The kid threw for five touchdowns, nothing short of amazing. His overall passing stats weren't eye popping (10-22, 157 yards), but it was a memorable night. Eiswerth started the following week against St Ignatius and got crunched. After that, Krizancic took over the reigns and Eiswerth quit football. Krizancic ended up with a senior year that rivaled any in Mentor history - including Trubisky/Tanski. Couldn't argue with pulling Eiswerth as a sophomore, but I always wondered how it might have gone down if Eiswerth was interested in developing as a QB in 2014 and 2015.

Tadas Tatarunas (2015) - Unlike Trubisky and Tanski, Tatarunas was given the full-time QB reigns from the start of Week 1. Tatarunas had his coming out game in Week 2 of his sophomore year as he threw for 523 yards, 4 TD's, and no interceptions against St Ignatius. Mentor won the shootout, 63-56. One of the most memorable regular season performances I have ever seen. In part thanks to that magical night, Tatarunas had a final sophomore stat line of 201-322, 2,963 yards, and 24 TD's. It was actually a better season than his junior year. It was, game for game average, on line with his memorable senior year.
Tadas' junior year was going to be a drop off with losing all of their receiving corps -- including Jason Blizzard -- one of the best ever at Mentor.
Old 08-26-18, 08:29 AM
All American

St. Ignatius loses to Hoban 21-14 at Byers. Hoban's starting QB was suspended one game for an all-star game played in 8th grade. Hoban relied on their running game with their big o-line and controlled the game. They used two running backs subbing in and out for each other to stay fresh. A recipe for success that Mentor could be using? (Hint, hint: Trobel and Spansel)

Last edited by CardzFan1; 08-26-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
St. Ignatius loses to Hoban 21-14 at Byers. Hoban's starting QB was suspended one game for an all-star game played in 8th grade. Hoban relied on their running game with their big o-line and controlled the game.

I was hoping St Ignatius would win yesterday. On top of every other motivation they already had, Ignatius losing gives them another reason to grind even harder. Nobody wants to be 0-2 with Moeller, Elder, St X, Euclid, and St Eds still left on the schedule.

Considering how poorly Mentorís defense played in the second half, Iím not sure how to feel about this one. A dose of Mentorís poor coverage could be just what the doctor ordered for an Ignatius offense that struggled in Week 1. Mentorís run defense was strong though. If they can bottle up the two backs this week, Iím not sure Ignatius has the same passing prowess that the Eagles showed.
Old 08-26-18, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Ignatius by 14.....Once again Mentor does not appear committed to playing defense, Kyle and Restifo will take advantage of this and hit big plays, control the pace of the game and pull away in the 4th. If Mentor would just buy into defense, they would be unbelievable.
Old 08-26-18, 04:47 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Mentor Cardinals Football 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Ignatius by 14.....Once again Mentor does not appear committed to playing defense, Kyle and Restifo will take advantage of this and hit big plays, control the pace of the game and pull away in the 4th. If Mentor would just buy into defense, they would be unbelievable.

Great we get it. I have plenty of problems with mentors D.C. but people like you are ignorant. Mentor knocked Eds and ignatius out of the playoffs last year and beat Eds 2 days ago. They can obviously beat either team still

I'm sure you won't be back if Mentor beats Ignatius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-18, 05:19 PM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=MentorGrad2002;7094161]Great we get it. I have plenty of problems with mentors D.C. but people like you are ignorant. Mentor knocked Eds and ignatius out of the playoffs last year and beat Eds 2 days ago. They can obviously beat either team still

I'm sure you won't be back if Mentor beats Ignatius

Sent from my iPhone

Did I strike a nerve? I will always root for the public's against the privates. I hope Mentor smashes Iggy but I don't understand why they refuse to build a defense. It has cost them at least three state titles already. They are one of the biggest schools in the state and ought to be able to find 11 kids to play defense. I just don't get the pholosophy.
Old 08-26-18, 06:03 PM
All Yappi

Acting like mentor can't beat iggy because of that is just plain stupid. They've beaten Eds and ignatius as much as they've lost to them under triv who started in 1997...

Also the problem isn't finding talent on defense. Mentor had 3 front 7 guys go d1 from the 06 and 11 defenses. Have an Ohio state recruit on this year's team.

The problem is the coaching. And we've said that many times. It's one thing for us to talk about it. It's another for you just to blurt out stuff in our thread that is just flat out wrong

You've done it out of nowhere many of times. So like I said , we get it

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 08-26-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 06:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Acting like mentor can't beat iggy because of that is just plain stupid. They've beaten Eds and ignatius as much as they've lost to them under triv who started in 1997...

Also the problem isn't finding talent on defense. Mentor had 3 front 7 guys go d1 from the 06 and 11 defenses. Have an Ohio state recruit on this year's team.

The problem is the coaching. And we've said that many times. It's one thing for us to talk about it. It's another for you just to blurt out stuff in our thread that is just flat out wrong

You've done it out of nowhere many of times. So like I said , we get it

And I agree, they can beat Ignatius, I just don't think it's going to happen on Saturday night. I don't see Chuck Kyle losing two games in a row to start. I also think they will score a ton. I hope I'm wrong, I'm rooting for the Cards and may drive up all the way from Franklin county to root for them....
Old 08-26-18, 07:32 PM
All Yappi

Considering the amount of times the regular season loser goes on to win the playoff rematch (has happened four times since 2011), how much stock should we put in this game? Computer points wise, this game is much more critical for Ignatius. But a win for Mentor would be huge too in locking up a great shot at a home playoff game.
Old 08-27-18, 12:27 PM
Junior Varsity

ESPN 990 is on a distinguished road
Coach Triv 1:35 Monday

espn990.com
Old 08-27-18, 12:41 PM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Considering the amount of times the regular season loser goes on to win the playoff rematch (has happened four times since 2011), how much stock should we put in this game? Computer points wise, this game is much more critical for Ignatius. But a win for Mentor would be huge too in locking up a great shot at a home playoff game.
The key is to get a top seed in the playoffs for a matchup against a low seed in the first round and hopefully avoid having to beat both the #2 and #3 seeds to advance to the semifinals again.
Old 08-27-18, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

You can be the 4 or 5 and get that in some years with a 1 seed that isn't as good as the 2 or 3. It happens. No way to know on the harbins

If you believe the ignatius fanbase , they won't make the playoffs this year. Their schedule is really tough but I still think they'll make it. And I still think they'll make our game a toss up on Saturday night

Old 08-27-18, 03:47 PM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Iggy is going to need much better play by their O-Line than they got vs Hoban to be able to move the ball vs Mentor. Iggy’s skill positions aren’t comparable to Ed’s, they don't have anyone the caliber of Quintel Kent at WR. Mentor won’t face another WR of Kent’s caliber until they play Solon with Trevon Raphael and Euclid with Dre’Von Lindsay late in the schedule.
And if Mentor is able to negate Eichenberg at ILB the way Hoban did, Mentor will have another big rushing day.
Old 08-27-18, 05:14 PM
All Yappi

I agree on the wr position. Those 3 teams all have studs there

I just think coach kyle will know how to attack a sophomore qb. If kipp grinds them up in his 2nd ever start then it would be damn impressive. I still think mentor can win but I can't see kipp lighting them up and he will struggle at times win or lose

Old 09-01-18, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

I don't usually pay that much attention to JV, but I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised that Mentor's JV team is 2-0 with a couple big wins over Eds/Ignatius. Considering their most talented sophomore, QB Ian Kipp, is playing varsity (plus a couple other sophomore starters on the line), that says a lot to the talent in the sophomore class. To be fair, Mentor has not been shy about playing some juniors on JV while I know that St Ignatius does not. Not sure about St Eds. But still, I bet that Mentor loses JV to Ignatius 80% of the time.
Old 09-01-18, 02:26 PM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't usually pay that much attention to JV, but I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised that Mentor's JV team is 2-0 with a couple big wins over Eds/Ignatius. Considering their most talented sophomore, QB Ian Kipp, is playing varsity (plus a couple other sophomore starters on the line), that says a lot to the talent in the sophomore class. To be fair, Mentor has not been shy about playing some juniors on JV while I know that St Ignatius does not. Not sure about St Eds. But still, I bet that Mentor loses JV to Ignatius 80% of the time.
A win is a win, but the Ignatius sophomore class isn't the strongest.
Old 09-01-18, 03:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinCat View Post
A win is a win, but the Ignatius sophomore class isn't the strongest.
Maybe not, but the top Ignatius sophomores play JV. Mentor's top few sophomores (including our QB this year) usually play strictly varsity. Ignatius has much more depth in numbers, which usually makes the most difference at the JV level. I don't remember who won the freshman game last year between the two classes. This year's JV game was a dominant Mentor win (42-17), which really surprised me.
Old 09-01-18, 03:58 PM
All District

Cat Man 11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe not, but the top Ignatius sophomores play JV. Mentor's top few sophomores (including our QB this year) usually play strictly varsity. Ignatius has much more depth in numbers, which usually makes the most difference at the JV level. I don't remember who won the freshman game last year between the two classes. This year's JV game was a dominant Mentor win (42-17), which really surprised me.

Mentor won last year's freshmen game, 24-21.
Old 09-01-18, 04:17 PM
All District

Quote:
That's exactly the point- the top sophs for Ignatius play. Mentor's are on the varsity and the Cats still were boat raced.
Old 09-01-18, 09:09 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
I agree on the wr position. Those 3 teams all have studs there

I just think coach kyle will know how to attack a sophomore qb. If kipp grinds them up in his 2nd ever start then it would be damn impressive. I still think mentor can win but I can't see kipp lighting them up and he will struggle at times win or lose

The Cardinals are just flat out better and Triv has the coaching advantage right now. It's not debatable.
Old 09-01-18, 09:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Cardinals are just flat out better and Triv has the coaching advantage right now. It's not debatable.

Defensively, St Ignatius brought it. The yards per carry was much lower than last week. The coaching staff did their job in preparing the team to stop the run. Trobel rushed for nearly 200 last week. He had to really earn it tonight. Letís not jump too fast on Mentorís coaching advantage
Old 09-02-18, 09:15 AM
All Yappi

I'm smiling after these two weeks. Very satisfying victories by the Cardinals !

Kipp is very poised in the pocket for being a sophomore. Very good runner and has ability to improve going forward. Could be lethal the next two years after this.

Defense had a good game last game. An anomaly so far but I hope they continue to make progress

Gotta keep it going this week. Another tough opponent in Glenville comes to town in 5 days

Old 09-04-18, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

Mentor and Glenville are squaring off for the 11th time since 2000. Mentor has a slight 6-4 edge in those games. Two of them (2006 and 2007) were memorable playoff wins on Mentor's road to state championship appearances. Over the years, here are a few memorable games stand out:

2002 - Mentor entered the season with some high expectations...especially by their standard. "The Class" as they were called were a group of talented juniors ready to make their mark. The first opponent was Glenville, a team that recently graduated Troy Smith but was still littered with Ohio State talent - Dareus Hiley, Donte Whitner, Ted Ginn Jr. Mentor's offense, led by QB Thom Abbott, put up 48 points in a game that took two days to complete due to Friday night thunderstorms. Looking back now, it was the kind of win that not only started a stellar two-year run, but also helped get the ball on rolling on Mentor's success as a program over the next 15+ years.

2006 - After a couple "ho-hum" seasons of not making the playoffs, expectations were not extremely high for the 2006 team. This was a group that would eventually be one defensive stop away from a state championship. Mentor's season started at Browns Stadium against Glenville as part of a double header that also included Solon defeating Strongsville. In a defensive battle, kicker Kevin Harper won the game with a late field goal to give Mentor a 15-13 victory. Mentor played (and defeated) Glenville again at Browns Stadium later that season in a playoff rematch.

2007 (regional final) - This was one of the classic nail biters. Mentor was the better team, but they just couldn't put the Tarblooders away. A big culprit on the night was in special teams. Glenville's talented receiver/KR/PR Cardale Scott was a nuisance in returning kicks. He had two kick returns for touchdowns. Mentor eventually had the ball on the final drive of the game and Kevin Harper kicked a field goal as time expired to win the game, 41-40.
Old 09-04-18, 04:10 PM
All District

Just my opinion, but Mentor will be undefeated going into the playoffs, and won't have to deal with Ignatius and Eds.

I think the Eagles make it but Ignatius doesn't. This has to be the best offensive line Mentor has had.
Old 09-04-18, 05:43 PM
All Yappi

Last years offensive line was very good too

The schedule looks good this year. Glenville , Strongsville , Euclid and solon are games that can be lost. Even medina has improved. And shaker beat Benedictine !

Old 09-04-18, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Just my opinion, but Mentor will be undefeated going into the playoffs, and won't have to deal with Ignatius and Eds.

I think the Eagles make it but Ignatius doesn't. This has to be the best offensive line Mentor has had.

Euclid is going to be a tough one. They have a big time receiver (Lindsay) that can expose Mentorís biggest weakness. If Euclid can stop the run and they can get their vertical passing game going, they are fully capable of beating Mentor. Historically, the Cards have struggled on the road at Euclid.

Mentor may need to go 10-0 to get the top seed. Euclid has essentially the same schedule as Mentor. The only difference is Lorain for Euclid and St Eds for Mentor. I expect Lorain to earn more L2ís than St Eds.
Old 09-04-18, 10:21 PM
All American

Quote:

Too early to make Mentor undefeated regional champs. With a young inexperienced QB, you never know what you are getting each week. Having a great O-line, running game, and defense helps. DE Potter is such a difference-maker -- both St. Eds and St. Ignatius were terrified of him and refused to run a single play his way. That allows the defense to load up on the opposite side and make easy plays.
Old 09-05-18, 08:40 AM
All American

Quote:
Defensively, St Ignatius brought it. The yards per carry was much lower than last week. The coaching staff did their job in preparing the team to stop the run. Trobel rushed for nearly 200 last week. He had to really earn it tonight. Letís not jump too fast on Mentorís coaching advantage
Not sure what Triv was thinking -- maybe not to run up the score -- but on a 4th and 20 could have tried a 45 to 50-yard FG with the wind at their back. A miss would have put the ball on the 20-yard line. He wouldn't have been criticized for trying it.
Old 09-06-18, 06:40 AM
All American

Having Kipp connecting with Floreia on some big pass plays gives opponents something to think about. With a big target like Mason Trubisky getting healthy for intermediate throws will make the offense that much better.
Old 09-06-18, 10:57 AM
All Yappi

Watching the Kipp to Floriea connection reminds me of how much a young sophomore QB (like Tatarunas in 2015) can benefit from having a receiver with breakaway speed. Tatarunas had a senior, Jason Blizzard, that was the huge difference maker in 2015. That was a big reason why Tatarunas had such huge numbers as a sophomore. Blizzard had 1,360 receiving yards to go along with 12 TD's. That is close to half of the overall yards (2,963) and exactly half of the TD's Tatarunas (24) threw for the season.

The other receivers are steady. Trubisky has size, athleticism, and good hands. If he can stay healthy, he will help move the chains. Gallo has been moved around between the slot and outside with some success. I think he will have a nice season. Justin Luke and Nolan Vernon are also new starters, but some potential is there too. Floriea will be the difference maker. The good news for Mentor is this Kipp-Floriea connection will be together for two seasons.