Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-27-18, 01:16 PM
All Ohio

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
Possibly true, but if that was true, don't ya think the suburban socialites would've kept them out in the first place.

Financially, the FED has to have helped McK. Nice gates bring nice $$$.

Ideally, should stay in the Fed and make sure every OOC game except Washington a home game in the new stadium. {Just like Steubenville does}

Being independent with most of your schedule as home games does sound wonderful. But, the way high school teams are traveling nowadays, it makes more sense to stay in the Fed and get some decent money.

What people want will always get trumped by what is more fiscally sound.
After all, football is the main bread winner and you need those butts in the stands.
They usually don't bring fans in any real number, so that isn't reason enough. Four years ago, Jackson didn't even have a student section here. Raymo is right, because we get screwed by the Fed refs every year. I would like us to leave a league whose fans and refs left Canton to avoid diversity in the first place. We can still play Glenoak as they are a rival,, even though the worst rip-off in memory happened over there the last year of Filtz, and the Brown's announcer was even shocked by it. But it is what it is. Time to declare our independence. Playing those teams twice in basketball stinks, too. Once was always enough.
Old 02-27-18, 01:56 PM
Varsity

FeartheNeer is on a distinguished road
I think the real problem is that McK is a DII school stuck in a DI world because of a merger that didn't help the programs it was supposed to, the kids that were playing ball were typically already at McK. Have you seen the rising junior and senior classes? The numbers are down - way down - and there are not a ton of high level athletes floating through those classes. The last time McK was a contender we had future big time DI college and NFL guys lurking at nearly every position. If you see those kids walking around now I must need glasses.
Is playing an independent schedule and getting kicked by big catholics really going to help bring more kids out to the team? Numbers are down, football is hurting in Canton - not helped by the floundering and inept youth leagues - and you guys want to drive more kids away with the promise of 3-7 5-5 seasons?
The tradition is gone, the kids don't care about what happened before they were born, it's an Instagram type of society, especially in the city right now. How many of our kids would stick around for a healthy dose of delayed gratification? Some of you need to seriously reflect on your expectations and the support that the kids receive from the community. The two don't match up anymore, it isn't the late 90's early 00's anymore.
Old 02-27-18, 02:04 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheNeer View Post
I think the real problem is that McK is a DII school stuck in a DI world because of a merger that didn't help the programs it was supposed to, the kids that were playing ball were typically already at McK. Have you seen the rising junior and senior classes? The numbers are down - way down - and there are not a ton of high level athletes floating through those classes. The last time McK was a contender we had future big time DI college and NFL guys lurking at nearly every position. If you see those kids walking around now I must need glasses.
Is playing an independent schedule and getting kicked by big catholics really going to help bring more kids out to the team? Numbers are down, football is hurting in Canton - not helped by the floundering and inept youth leagues - and you guys want to drive more kids away with the promise of 3-7 5-5 seasons?
The tradition is gone, the kids don't care about what happened before they were born, it's an Instagram type of society, especially in the city right now. How many of our kids would stick around for a healthy dose of delayed gratification? Some of you need to seriously reflect on your expectations and the support that the kids receive from the community. The two don't match up anymore, it isn't the late 90's early 00's anymore.
Old 02-27-18, 02:25 PM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
They usually don't bring fans in any real number, so that isn't reason enough. Four years ago, Jackson didn't even have a student section here. Raymo is right, because we get screwed by the Fed refs every year. I would like us to leave a league whose fans and refs left Canton to avoid diversity in the first place. We can still play Glenoak as they are a rival,, even though the worst rip-off in memory happened over there the last year of Filtz, and the Brown's announcer was even shocked by it. But it is what it is. Time to declare our independence. Playing those teams twice in basketball stinks, too. Once was always enough.
What you're 12-10 in that league in hoops so why aren't they competitive enough for you? As for the refs, come on man, quit whining and more importantly quit committing the penalties and they won't be called?
Old 02-27-18, 03:10 PM
All World

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
What you're 12-10 in that league in hoops so why aren't they competitive enough for you? As for the refs, come on man, quit whining and more importantly quit committing the penalties and they won't be called?
So what your saying is you never left a game mad thinking your team got the short end of the stick by the refs? Ever?
Old 02-27-18, 03:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
So what your saying is you never left a game mad thinking your team got the short end of the stick by the refs? Ever?
Absolutely, actually thought 3 years ago when Green scored in the final seconds and chose to go for two to win the game at McK that our receiver was mugged in the end zone on the 2 point try. Not ONE word was mentioned here. There's a difference in one game and complaining most games though. This year at McK you had a kid commit 3 holding calls in the first quarter and 4 for the game (watch the tape) that should have been handled instead of coach spending his time yelling at the refs.
Old 02-27-18, 05:08 PM
Cooling Off

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Absolutely, actually thought 3 years ago when Green scored in the final seconds and chose to go for two to win the game at McK that our receiver was mugged in the end zone on the 2 point try. Not ONE word was mentioned here. There's a difference in one game and complaining most games though. This year at McK you had a kid commit 3 holding calls in the first quarter and 4 for the game (watch the tape) that should have been handled instead of coach spending his time yelling at the refs.
mck expert also ? Wow I know Green had to get uniforms and the name from
both Massillon and mckinley years ago but your jealousy runs deep.
Old 02-28-18, 08:21 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
mck expert also ? Wow I know Green had to get uniforms and the name from
both Massillon and mckinley years ago but your jealousy runs deep.
How on gods green earth did you take I'm jealous of McK from that post? How in the world from that post did you take I think I'm a McK expert, just stating my opinion on it? You truly are extremely delusional.
Old 02-28-18, 04:05 PM
All Ohio

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How on gods green earth did you take I'm jealous of McK from that post? How in the world from that post did you take I think I'm a McK expert, just stating my opinion on it? You truly are extremely delusional.
Anyone who thinks they know more about McKinley's program than the McKinley people, like you, are the delusional ones.

Btw the basketball coach we currently have never played the game himself, and he can't make meaningful adjustments, which means he gets out-coached after halftime. He's done little aside from losing good players and failing to develop players to potential. He loses blowout games to teams with less talent, every year. The Fed has nothing to do with his record- it's all on him, because the talent is good enough.
Old 02-28-18, 09:28 PM
Varsity

tiger1 is on a distinguished road
well put feartheneer the tigers are in the same boat. The traditions have faded away. It use to be a Mckinley Massillon game you could not find a seat. Now all you see is empty seats.
High school games use to be a friday or saturday event and the whole town got behind your team. No more. The old guard that introduced me to this great rivalry are all gone. The kids are just not into it anymore. Good luck this season.
Old 03-01-18, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1 View Post
well put feartheneer the tigers are in the same boat. The traditions have faded away. It use to be a Mckinley Massillon game you could not find a seat. Now all you see is empty seats.
High school games use to be a friday or saturday event and the whole town got behind your team. No more. The old guard that introduced me to this great rivalry are all gone. The kids are just not into it anymore. Good luck this season.

Traditions are still alive, in Massillon. The Massillon-Canton game still draws thousands. What other high school game has a similar attendance? The "Beat McKinley" parade draws thousands of fans on the Friday before the game. In addition, the Open House at WHS draws thousands during that week. Our community embraces this game, and that will not die.

To give the Canton perspective of the rivalry, you should ask the Bulldog fans.
Old 03-01-18, 12:30 PM
All World

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Traditions are still alive, in Massillon. The Massillon-Canton game still draws thousands. What other high school game has a similar attendance? The "Beat McKinley" parade draws thousands of fans on the Friday before the game. In addition, the Open House at WHS draws thousands during that week. Our community embraces this game, and that will not die.

To give the Canton perspective of the rivalry, you should ask the Bulldog fans.
Canton still has all the same stuff Massillon has. Where they differ is Massillon has weathered(sp?) the decline of attendance due to lack of interest better then just about everybody else. Actually I still think the people of Canton are interested just not enough to come out to most of the games. Where I disagree with you is the clock is ticking. Like it or not the younger generation even in Massillon are just not that into it any more just like the youth every where else. They will move away and will not return. In Massillons case it's just a much slower death then everybody else.
Old 03-01-18, 12:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Canton still has all the same stuff Massillon has. Where they differ is Massillon has weathered(sp?) the decline of attendance due to lack of interest better then just about everybody else. Actually I still think the people of Canton are interested just not enough to come out to most of the games. Where I disagree with you is the clock is ticking. Like it or not the younger generation even in Massillon are just not that into it any more just like the youth every where else. They will move away and will not return. In Massillons case it's just a much slower death then everybody else.

Thanks for your perspective. Both schools need to reevaluate how to increase participation by the fan bases. Both schools need that to address this issue.
Old 03-01-18, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Ahh yes. It's not like it was. I remember my dad telling me that 40 years ago, lol.

Times change that's life. Helluva lot more to do today than listen to the radio or watch something good on that one channel with good reception.

Massillon v. McKinley and good local Friday Night Football are still awesome.
Old 03-01-18, 01:23 PM
Bulldogs, Buckeyes & Browns!

DaveDawg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DaveDawg
The Rivalry...The kids are into it. They are in school having a great time because they’re in school.
It’s the adults that are leaving. Especially Massillon fan. Outnumbered two to one at Benson last October.
The demise of a famous rivalry can’t be blamed on today’s youth.
The blame squarely sits on the sport itself.
IMO the OHSAA hasn’t helped at all.
Old 03-01-18, 02:05 PM
Varsity

Huge Ted is on a distinguished road
Attendance is certainly way down at Tiger Stadium. Mid-season games in '96 against Mansfield and Walsh drew 12K and 13K. Twenty years later mid-season games in'16 against Bowsher and Fitch only drew 6K. I think there are a multitude of reasons why. I'd like to hear more from Dave about the sport and the OHSAA.

I think the expansion of the playoffs have hurt M&M and maybe only them. For generations you were judged by the results of a 10 game season. 7-3 was unacceptable and got coaches fired. The expectations and demand for excellence is what drove those traditions. Those high standards are no more. Now 7-3 gets you in the playoffs and people are satisfied. When you lower your standards you can never get them back and all things will decline.
Old 03-01-18, 02:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDawg View Post
The Rivalry...The kids are into it. They are in school having a great time because they’re in school.
It’s the adults that are leaving. Especially Massillon fan. Outnumbered two to one at Benson last October.

I would like to know the actual attendance at Benson last season. It wasn't "outnumbered two to one," as you posted. Was the attendance was ever announced?
Old 03-01-18, 02:59 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Especially Massillon fan. Outnumbered two to one at Benson last October.
Please provide facts to back this statement up, mr fact.
Old 03-01-18, 03:20 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
I would like to know the actual attendance at Benson last season. It wasn't "outnumbered two to one," as you posted. Was the attendance was ever announced?
15,000 is what is listed on Massillontigers.com. I am quite sure there was not 10,000 Mckinley fans there.
Old 03-01-18, 03:40 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Rick Shepas said that, not former Jackson coach Thom McDaniels. Although McDaniels is an all around jerk, just like Shepas.

Raymo/TS -- if you think being in the FED is the reason why McKinley isn't as good as they used to be, that's fine. Go back to playing Akron Buchtel, Whomever (Ontario), and Cleveland Heights. Having gimme games definitely helps keep the roster fresh and injury-free, which was a big problem for the 2017 Bulldogs. Just make sure Coach Reardon remembers that even the non-racist refs will still pile 100+ penalty yardage on you guys if he keeps screaming in their faces because he thinks the rules don't apply to him.
Actually McDaniels said it first while at McKinley.
Old 03-01-18, 03:46 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Itís the adults that are leaving. Especially Massillon fan. Outnumbered two to one at Benson last October.
This reminds me of the time you said in 1981 mck finished in the top 10 of the USA Today football poll. Except they didnít start the poll until 1982.
Just the facts...
Old 03-01-18, 03:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Should have never joined to begin with. It has hurt you in football and hasnít helped at all in the ďclubĒ sports.
how in gods name has the Fed hurt Mckinley? is it your position that somehow a different league would make players faster, stronger, smarter or better coached?

you either have it or you dont.
Old 03-01-18, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Sammy they hate us,inner city school all the rest Suburban Wonders.I see how you feel about Jackson,well add Hoover,Lake,Green,Perry and GO...they all have something in common that we don't,not gettin into that but You know all about it...BAM!
this is nonsense. i expected more from you than this race baiting BS.

i dont believe ive seen one Fed poster advocate to remove Mckinley from the league which is amazing since according to you we are all racists.
Old 03-01-18, 04:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Are you really saying there are zero Fed fans with any bias against McK? Do you believe that there are zero Jackson, Hoover or Lake fans and even Perry fans who in the privacy of their cliques haven't made remarks regarding Canton's community and culture?

As for the 2018 Pups, sadly I predict they will continue to face these prejudices.
are you saying there is no prejudice among the Mckinley fanbase? are you saying there are none who have made remarks about surrounding communities?

you know that little glow flashing in the corner of your eye? thats your credibility dissipation light. it just went into high gear.
Old 03-01-18, 04:27 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
this is nonsense. i expected more from you than this race baiting BS.

i dont believe ive seen one Fed poster advocate to remove Mckinley from the league which is amazing since according to you we are all racists.
Actually itís a fact. All you have to do is sit in the stands at any fed sporting event against mckinley. Iíve heard it at the 9th grade boys tournament this year.
Old 03-01-18, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Nope - your decades of experience mean nothing. There are no prejudice players or fans in the Fed. Didn't you read the above posts? Or on Yappi either LOL

Sorry to hear about your family's health struggles. Hope 2018 is better.
Well they do mean nothing if, by his own admission, he doesn't attend games anymore.
Old 03-01-18, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
A game? Sure (see Mckinley at Hoover 99 playoffs)

Entering every game believing the evil refs are out to get us...no.
Old 03-01-18, 04:50 PM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Are you out of your mind? This is just plain idiotic.

Last edited by Egret; 03-01-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 05:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
Anyone who thinks they know more about McKinley's program than the McKinley people, like you, are the delusional ones.

Btw the basketball coach we currently have never played the game himself, and he can't make meaningful adjustments, which means he gets out-coached after halftime. He's done little aside from losing good players and failing to develop players to potential. He loses blowout games to teams with less talent, every year. The Fed has nothing to do with his record- it's all on him, because the talent is good enough.

yeah man. everybody knows suburban kids cant ball, no way they could beat Mckinley straight up.

has to be the lousy coach and lousy refs.

btw if the coach is bad he'd still be bad if Mckinley played an independent schedule right?

as for Hairston losing good players he got the job because Mckinley was losing good players to him at Timken. and you kind of contradict yourself saying the talent is there but he loses good players.
Old 03-01-18, 11:27 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
I am quite sure there was not 10,000 Mckinley fans there.
Like you were quite sure there was no red carpet? LOL