Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-11-18, 02:16 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
You simply refuse to acknowledge the fact that a microscopic proportion of games involve this strategy that you hate. The rules aren't going to change to compensate for the improbability of that strategy being used.

I never said refs are not guilty of allowing overly physical play. I simply said that my area does a good job of enforcing the rules. The hand-checking rules put into place at all levels were enacted largely because officials wouldn't enforce points of emphasis.

And I'm hardly one to defend officials at all costs, but I do take the opinions of fans with a grain of salt. After all, I don't come into your office and tell you how to do your job. Absent you providing some real evidence that officials are not enforcing rules at the games you voluntarily choose to watch, I respectfully don't put much stock into your opinion.
1) Eliminating stalling is simple ONE of the reasons I would like to see a shot clock. It's not the only. I've more than elaborated on my position on this. This isn't a black and white solution.
2) And people that aren't officials take officials opinions of other officials with a grain of salt. My own eyes are my evidence. You automatically don't believe it because I'm banging on "your crew". Ask anyone that watches GCL games, the hand-checking, pushing, bumping, and grabbing is OUT OF CONTROL. It's not called nearly enough to discourage the physical onslaught. It's why games are 34-30, and it's terrible.
Old 10-11-18, 02:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
That is your opinion. Some might agree. Some will not. But that isn't a reason to add a shot clock.
There's never one reason to do something.

But it is A reason.
Old 10-11-18, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
There's never one reason to do something.

But it is A reason.
YOUR opinion really has no weight in the discussion.
Old 10-11-18, 02:24 PM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
2) And people that aren't officials take officials opinions of other officials with a grain of salt. My own eyes are my evidence. You automatically don't believe it because I'm banging on "your crew". Ask anyone that watches GCL games, the hand-checking, pushing, bumping, and grabbing is OUT OF CONTROL. It's not called nearly enough to discourage the physical onslaught. It's why games are 34-30, and it's terrible.
Wrong. I don't automatically believe you because you aren't a certified official.

People have encouraged you to go watch non-GCL games. I'm guessing you won't.

You play to win the game.
Old 10-11-18, 02:24 PM
All American

What magic powers do you have that makes your opinion any weightier than mine?

Besides the fact that you obviously can't handle differing opinions, and need that "right" or "wrong" validation in your life.

Life don't work that way bud.
Old 10-11-18, 02:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Wrong. I don't automatically believe you because you aren't a certified official.

People have encouraged you to go watch non-GCL games. I'm guessing you won't.

You play to win the game.
I will ask you the same question then...what makes your opinion a stronger argument? It's also simply an opinion.

No better or worse than anyone else's.
Old 10-11-18, 02:29 PM
All District

Quote:
I will ask you the same question then...what makes your opinion a stronger argument? It's also simply an opinion.

No better or worse than anyone else's.
You said it, not me.
Old 10-11-18, 02:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
What magic powers do you have that makes your opinion any weightier than mine?

Besides the fact that you obviously can't handle differing opinions, and need that "right" or "wrong" validation in your life.

Life don't work that way bud.
didn't say my opinion has any more or less weight than yours.

almost all of your opinions are emotion based though. boring to watch, chicken poop, gcl this & that, etc.

the facts are that even if every gcl game is played that way its still a very small percentage of total games each season.

you want to change the rules based on your personal preference. maybe just watch some different leagues and games.
Old 10-11-18, 02:53 PM
All American

So me saying watching a stall ball game is boring is an emotion...not an opinion.

OK - got it.

It's also funny how all of your "facts" are true, and not simply your opinion. LOL
Old 10-11-18, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So me saying watching a stall ball game is boring is an emotion...not an opinion.

OK - got it.

It's also funny how all of your "facts" are true, and not simply your opinion. LOL
no, its your opinion based on an emotion. Which is what I said.

are you disputing that even if you factor in the gcl that its a very small percentage of games that are played with stall ball?
Old 10-11-18, 03:28 PM
All District

And the facts also include that a shot clock is a logistical nightmare, from cost to personnel to the fact that the NFHS doesn't even allow it. No one can dispute that.

It's not going to happen.
Old 10-11-18, 04:19 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

OK - got it.

For the umpteenth time.....

Interscholastic athletic contests do not exist for the purpose of entertaining the fans... or even just a few of them.... the rule isn't going to change to appease an even smaller minority than we are talking about when it comes to the games in question.

As far as the GCL, did you ever take time to think that maybe you should direct your angst at the coaches who demand the game be called differently? Maybe then the guys who call the game as you want them to call it will make themselves available to work those games.

This, assuming all your observations about the officiating are accurate....
Old 10-11-18, 04:22 PM
All World

Quote:
are you disputing that even if you factor in the gcl that its a very small percentage of games that are played with stall ball?
That question has never been answered no matter who it is directed towards.
Old 10-11-18, 05:19 PM
All American

Quote:
no, its your opinion based on an emotion. Which is what I said.

Me thinking the high school game would be better with a shot clock is no different than you thinking the game is just fine the way it is.

Not sure what part of that you don't understand.

Can't I just say you want to keep it the same because that's your opinion based on emotion? It's literally the weirdest thing I've ever heard, yet you keep repeating it. It's very strange.
Old 10-11-18, 05:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
For the umpteenth time.....

Interscholastic athletic contests do not exist for the purpose of entertaining the fans... or even just a few of them.... the rule isn't going to change to appease an even smaller minority than we are talking about when it comes to the games in question.

As far as the GCL, did you ever take time to think that maybe you should direct your angst at the coaches who demand the game be called differently? Maybe then the guys who call the game as you want them to call it will make themselves available to work those games.

This, assuming all your observations about the officiating are accurate....
I think a shot clock would improve the high school game, for the 589th time, in more ways than just eliminating stalling. I have plenty of posts describing my opinions that aren't related to stalling.

Not sure why this is so hard to comprehend.

Am I allowed to like chocolate over vanilla? Do you give me permission?
Old 10-11-18, 06:13 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Ok, so the latest posters are not reading the thread. Let's list the reasons why there should be a shot clock:
1. It provides a sense of urgency to force the action
2. It rewards better skilled and fitter players
3. It is the way the game is played at every level above it. (it is like playing t-ball versus playing baseball as a five and six year old)
Finally , we can all agree that it would not be necessary if teams would play the game like they played 10,15 or 20 years ago.
Old 10-11-18, 06:55 PM
All World

Neither myself nor zebrastripes have offered our opinions whether or not it should be used, we've offered facts as to why it shouldn't be used. I could care less if I work a game that have me sprinting for 32 minutes or standing for 32 minutes. I have a job to do on either and will do it to my best of ability.

If you can bring facts as to why the clock should be used, facts that fall in line with why the HS game exists to start with, then we can have some good conversation.
Old 10-11-18, 08:07 PM
All Region

What facts are u looking for?
Old 10-11-18, 08:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Ok, so the latest posters are not reading the thread. Let's list the reasons why there should be a shot clock:
3. It is the way the game is played at every level above it. (it is like playing t-ball versus playing baseball as a five and six year old)
Finally , we can all agree that it would not be necessary if teams would play the game like they played 10,15 or 20 years ago.
I made the 7th post in this thread - and one before you. Read the whole thing as has allsports and zebra stripes. We all have posted multiple times throughout.

The average possession is already less than what the shot clock would be. So how does that force the action exactly? Other than the handful of games you deem boring anyway.

Because the higher levels (where less than 3% of the players make it) use a shot clock isn't a reason it is needed in high school. Using your weak baseball comparison I guess we should outlaw aluminum bats? The pros use wood bats therefore all levels must use wood bats then.

Not even sure what "rewarding better skilled and fitter players" means. Less skilled or fit players don't deserve the be rewarded in high school sports? Seems to me you might be misguided as to what the purpose of high School sports is really.

Finally, everything was better in the good ol' days. I am sure you were a better player then too. At least in your mind.
Old 10-11-18, 08:36 PM
All American

You guys keep saying the argument for a shot clock is "forcing the action" - you can't get away from that because that's everyone's superficial argument for having or not having a shot clock.

Those that truly know the game know that's not the point at all. You can have great games with quick pace or slow pace where a shot clock can be advantageous. You guys refuse to listen to that argument because your're stuck in the "force the action" and "AAU fast break" mentality.

That's not our argument at all. It's obvious on this thread who has a deeper understanding of the game that goes beyond Basketball 101. It's not obvious to you.

But I know, you're a ref, and refs know everything. Just ask them.

You might be saying factual statements, but that doesn't mean your opinion is the truth. It's deeper than that.
Old 10-11-18, 08:43 PM
All Yappi

Forcing action was literally basewimparent's first point. People on your side of the argument are the ones stating that. We are just pointing out the facts that almost all games are already played with fast action. Except the handful of games where a severely overmatched team tries to slow down the other team. And the gcl that you dont like to watch but keep going to.
Old 10-11-18, 09:47 PM
All World

Quote:
You guys keep saying the argument for a shot clock is "forcing the action" -
That's your position... (stalling is "chickenbleep") I have never stated my position.

Quote:
You guys refuse to listen to that argument because your're stuck in the "force the action" and "AAU fast break" mentality.
Um, I abhor anything AAU and have never even insinuated the style of basketball I prefer. The reason, it's irrelevant to what I do. You have me confused with someone else.

Quote:
I know things that you don't know because of what I do and what I have done in the past. Attending state meetings, local meetings, national meetings.... friendships with people all over the country who are or were involved in the process both now and in the past...... I've shared on here what I can share and have kept private more than you can ever imagine. (integrity) If that bothers someone like you, well so be it..... That said, when you have nothing, you revert to attempting to insult and deflect.... save that petty garbage for your arguments with the lunatic from your school's discussion thread.

Quote:
You might be saying factual statements, but that doesn't mean your opinion is the truth. It's deeper than that.
Good Lord, do you even read what you type? If someone forms an opinion that is based in fact, how on earth can that opinion not be truthful? (and again, I have not shared any opinion on here)

You keep talking in circles...... I'm through with the likes of you

Last edited by AllSports12; 10-12-18 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 12:21 AM
All Region

Forcing he action means that the intent of the offense is to try to score within a given time limit. Not passing it around the perimeter for 2 minutes trying to tire out the defense. Take stick backs out of the equation and what is the shot per minute equation. Finally, what is the average score today versus what was in the past? Quit trying to hide behind the 3% rule. I don't even know what is being divided by what. Modern basketball has a shot clock. Play the game with a shot clock or quit calling it basketball. Call it "pass it around the perimeter for 2 minutes" ball. The games I watch (when my son asked me to join him) are all tourney sectional and district semi and championship games. They are supposed to be the better teams against each other. These are the games that formed my opinion. Also here are many high school leagues across the country going to wood bats... just saying. My point is that high school basketball played in states without a shot clock is not the modern games of basketball. It is like playing on a smaller court with a smaller ball and a bigger basket. It is a fundamental part of the game. I could care less about the NFHS in this regard. It is made of of state high athletic associations. if they wanted a shot clock, they would have a shot clock. I am arguing for a shot clock.
Old 10-12-18, 03:22 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Disagree with 2. Many times at the smaller schools (d4) you have mismatches between teams that are able to be overcame by intelligent design of offensive play. A team that has a large physical inside advantage may be tempted to play a 2-3 zone, but an opponent who patiently rotates the ball looking for the zone to tire and distort may get a good look at the basket without having to take a low percentage 3.

Again, the reason I attend high school ball vs college or NBA is because I enjoy watching how coaches overcome a mismatch. Adding a shot clock takes a significant option off the table. I will not continue attending high school games if we reduce them to poor versions of the college game.
Old 10-12-18, 07:52 AM
All District

Anti-shot clock FACTS that have all been given on this thread:

-Overwhelming majority of HS possessions last under 30 seconds
-Skill levels of HS teams vary much more widely than higher levels, and NFHS rules cover a wider variety of age groups than NCAA or NBA rules
-HS sports do not exist to "get kids ready for the next level" (very small percentage go on to play in college) nor to entertain fans
-NFHS does not allow it, and the OHSAA has made clear it will not go against the NFHS
-Costs which would be crippling to many schools and districts
-Difficulty and cost of finding competent individuals to operate it

There are probably more that I'm missing.

Pro-shot clock FACTS that have all been given on this thread:

-The higher levels use it.

Every other pro-shot clock argument has been opinion- or emotion-based.
Old 10-12-18, 08:03 AM
All District

Quote:
I don't know everything. But I know more about rules, coaches, and the OHSAA than the average fan because I have gone through the training process and continually educate myself. If you would like to learn more about things refs know that average fans don't, I suggest you join us; there is a shortage of officials statewide and I'm sure the Cincy area would be happy to have you.

My guess would be that you won't, and you'll continue to go watch GCL games as a fanboy then come on here and complain about how awful they are and how everything was better in the good ol' days.
Old 10-12-18, 08:03 AM
Varsity

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
Why do people think it is okay to stall in basketball? In football, you can burn some clock but you still have to snap the ball in an allotted time and try to make first downs even if you are leading...at sometime in the distant past those rules were implemented....There has been a shot clock in basketball since the 50's and has been slowly adopted by various levels...Several states now employ them and to my knowledge, they haven't imploded in any way...
Old 10-12-18, 08:09 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Why do people think it is okay to stall in basketball? In football, you can burn some clock but you still have to snap the ball in an allotted time and try to make first downs even if you are leading...at sometime in the distant past those rules were implemented....There has been a shot clock in basketball since the 50's and has been slowly adopted by various levels...Several states now employ them and to my knowledge, they haven't imploded in any way...
If you think stalling is unacceptable, that is, again, an opinion, not a fact. The FACT is that the proportion of games where stall ball is used is so minuscule compared to all the other high school games played, that it doesn't make any sense to fundamentally change the game to account for eliminating that strategy. And that is assuming that your premise of stalling being "wrong" is true.

Comparing sports makes no sense. In baseball coaches are allowed to come on the field to argue with umpires. Should we start allowing this in basketball?

Eight states use it. 42 states don't. Ohio is hardly in the minority.
Old 10-12-18, 08:32 AM
All American

Quote:
If you think stalling is unacceptable, that is, again, an opinion, not a fact. The FACT is that the proportion of games where stall ball is used is so minuscule compared to all the other high school games played, that it doesn't make any sense to fundamentally change the game to account for eliminating that strategy. And that is assuming that your premise of stalling being "wrong" is true.

Comparing sports makes no sense. In baseball coaches are allowed to come on the field to argue with umpires. Should we start allowing this in basketball?

Eight states use it. 42 states don't. Ohio is hardly in the minority.
And they likely don't do it because of the logistical concerns (which is valid), not for the betterment of the game.

Why do you think football uses a play-clock at every level? Because they don't want you to be able to just bleed the clock and not actually play the game.

If you'd ask 100 of the best basketball minds in the world if a shot clock has been good for the game of basketball, how many do you think would disagree? Maybe 10%?
Old 10-12-18, 08:41 AM
All District

Quote:
And they likely don't do it because of the logistical concerns (which is valid), not for the betterment of the game.

Why do you think football uses a play-clock at every level? Because they don't want you to be able to just bleed the clock and not actually play the game.

If you'd ask 100 of the best basketball minds in the world if a shot clock has been good for the game of basketball, how many do you think would disagree? Maybe 10%?
In football if you didn't snap the ball it would never become live. In basketball teams can still force action against a stalling team because the ball is live. Why don't you ask the coaches why they don't come out and defend stallers to force a closely guarded count? Again, false equivalence.

"Good for the game of basketball" and "good for high school sports"/"good for the state of Ohio" are not the same thing.