Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 10-10-18, 11:05 AM
JJBulldog JJBulldog is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-05-17
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 665
JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoFB18 View Post
Yes, reading a history book will make the difference. People of all colors need to show more respect. Its these type of incidences that are blown up and try to label some people as victims and others as perpetrators. The victim and racism cards have been overplayed. Time to embrace the future. We could do great things together or we could stay divided with all these gotcha moments.
You likely authored the Dred Scott decision in another life.
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 10-10-18, 11:10 AM
JJBulldog JJBulldog is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-05-17
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 665
JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1480 View Post
I get the logic here, but it’s unhelpful.

It’s the same kind of unhelpful when people respond to a movement like “Black Lives Matter” with the slogan “All Lives Matter.” Logically I get the point... but it’s not helpful.

I’ve heard this analogy regarding this topic and I think it’s worth sharing here:

Say your house is being robbed. You realize it, call 911 and begin talking to the operator.

“My house is being robbed! Please send help immediately!” The 911 operator says some thing like, “We’ll do our best to get you the help you need.”

You continue with, “My address is—“ but the operator cuts you off. “Whoa, whoa, what are you giving me your address for?”

“Don’t you need to know my address to help me?” you say startled. The operator says, “Hey we want to help you but you need to know that all houses matter, not just yours.”


This is the thing. You can say every logical thing in the book regarding racism. But when people are hurting and reeling from something like this, it’s just not helpful. In this case, yes, words shouldn’t matter. “Sticks and stones...,” right?But saying something like, “they call each other that all the time,” Isn’t helpful... even the latest rumor that a person of color on Jackson’s team is the one who used the word toward a McKinley player. Feels like saying it here because logically it seems correct... but it’s not helpful.

In the case of white v. black opinions on racism, there are things white people view through their lens on this subject and they are vastly different from the lens of the black person. Doesn’t mean the opinions are invalid... just that the experience of a white person in America and a black person in America are different. For the most part the African American is constantly aware of this difference and the white American is only aware of it when the subject is brought up. So when that happens and a white person says what they say from their experience, it typically sounds something to the effect of “all lives matter.” When African Americans already know that. Instead I think the most helpful thing here is to get the perspective of a person of color to understand the difference better.

Sorry the length of my post almost ensures that no one will read it. But when I see an opportunity to talk about this in any arena, I will.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 10-10-18, 11:18 AM
JJBulldog JJBulldog is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-05-17
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 665
JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
I never get involved with these types of conversations but I can’t hold my tounge anymore...... That’s very stereotypical. Also a little racist. What you’re impying is that he’s from green, so he’s has to be a racist with a confederate flag? See, what you’re fighting for is equality and no racism and stereotyping correct? You lost all credibility with a comment like that. Stereotyping and racist. I agree with the McKinley people on this thread and that word has ABSOLUTELY no use on the field whatsoever and I know for a fact that’s its been used too! I get that. It’s sad and disappointing that it’s still used till this day during high school sporting events, but it’s true. But don’t come on here, complain about other schools being racist and putting stereotypes on one another, then turn around and make a comment like this. I’m a Lake guy and i sure as hell can tell you I’m not a racist nor are any of my friends and family that live out here and we don’t fly confederate flags. Lake ain’t any different then green. We all aren’t racists suburban rich snobs. That take is VERY OLD.
When McKinley plays at Lake, security guards watch us like hawks. Maybe YOU are the one over-generalizing?
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 10-10-18, 01:01 PM
NeoFB18 NeoFB18 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-08-18
Posts: 62
NeoFB18 is on a distinguished road
As I've said on here, its all about respect. Understanding that it is a word that should no longer be used is all that is needed here. Understanding that it is a teachable moment when a kid uses the word.

It should not be a chance to divide us further and play the gotcha game. It doesn't matter if the player who said it was black or white. It doesn't matter who the player was. Its a dirty word that should never be uttered. Take the opportunity to explain to all your players why it should never be used. Its really this simple. Shocking to me that people disagree with this. Get this term of endearment crap out of here.
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 10-10-18, 01:22 PM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,463
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoFB18 View Post
As I've said on here, its all about respect. Understanding that it is a word that should no longer be used is all that is needed here. Understanding that it is a teachable moment when a kid uses the word.

It should not be a chance to divide us further and play the gotcha game. It doesn't matter if the player who said it was black or white. It doesn't matter who the player was. Its a dirty word that should never be uttered. Take the opportunity to explain to all your players why it should never be used. Its really this simple. Shocking to me that people disagree with this. Get this term of endearment crap out of here.
Well said.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 10-10-18, 01:32 PM
AkronNative AkronNative is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-30-05
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 155
AkronNative
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
If I might ask, what is your gender? If it is not female, then your comment means nothing to me because you can't speak on something that you don't understand, and you can't understand because you aren't female.

If I might ask, are you left handed? If not, then your comment means nothing to me because you can't speak on something that you don't understand, and you can't understand because you aren't left handed.

If I might ask, are you less than 5' tall? If not, then your comment means nothing to me because you can't speak on something that you don't understand, and you can't understand because you aren't less than 5' tall.

If the comments of others only mean something to us when they are like us (i.e. same race, gender, hand preference, height, etc.), then we are living quite meaningless lives.
This is exactly why I said that I'm done talking and debating about this. That quick you managed to make what I said something completely different. I didn't feel like I needed to break it down or explain it but I guess I will since it seems my words are kind of being taken out of context.

For starters I explained that many (in most cases younger) African American males have used the N word as a term of endearment to one another. I also stated I didn't condone it but I understand. At this point, the individual whose defense you are coming to said, "what, that's BS or something of that nature, etc. I asked him if he was black because if he was he would understand what I was saying. He is not and he didn't understand how that could be viewed as a term of endearment towards one another. Once again I'm not saying its right or wrong. Just stating an opinion that has alot of truth to it based on what I see as a black man myself. And the "are you" questions you asked proves my point. Am I a woman? Most definitely am NOT. I have heard some woman as used words that would be deemed derogatory by a different sex as a term of endearment. Thats all I'm saying is that him disagreeing and not understanding how it can be used as a term of endearment is BS. Just like I would never understand how some females can call each other certains names jokingly. Just saying. And once again, I don't wish to keep debating this. I respect your opinion and have a good day
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 10-10-18, 01:46 PM
NeoFB18 NeoFB18 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-08-18
Posts: 62
NeoFB18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronNative View Post
I have heard some woman as used words that would be deemed derogatory by a different sex as a term of endearment. Thats all I'm saying is that him disagreeing and not understanding how it can be used as a term of endearment is BS. Just like I would never understand how some females can call each other certains names jokingly. Just saying. And once again, I don't wish to keep debating this. I respect your opinion and have a good day
This is a good example. The B-word is something that most older women would never use towards each other. You might hear it from time to time with younger women and definitely used in TV and movies for effect.

While it may arguably be a term of endearment for these younger women, the older women are offended. They don't like it. They don't condone it. They mark it up as a sign of adolescence and immaturity. I've heard older women and men scold younger girls using the term.

Its safe to say that the B-word doesn't carry the same weight as the N-word. That doesn't change the fact that both words are offensive and calling them terms of endearment only allows the disrespectful attitudes to continue.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 10-10-18, 02:02 PM
JJBulldog JJBulldog is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-05-17
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 665
JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Its safe to say that the B-word doesn't carry the same weight as the N-word. That doesn't change the fact that both words are offensive and calling them terms of endearment only allows the disrespectful attitudes to continue.
Calling it what it is in the context of how it's said and by whom with whom is reflecting, not promoting. Akron Native is not "allowing" the disrespectful attitudes to exist. He merely contextualized their use as a matter of fact. You're patronizing attitude towards Akron Native is unwelcome and part of the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 10-10-18, 02:33 PM
NeoFB18 NeoFB18 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-08-18
Posts: 62
NeoFB18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
Calling it what it is in the context of how it's said and by whom with whom is reflecting, not promoting. Akron Native is not "allowing" the disrespectful attitudes to exist. He merely contextualized their use as a matter of fact. You're patronizing attitude towards Akron Native is unwelcome and part of the problem.
So I'm part of the problem? All I've done is call for respect and to quit using offensive words.

When I was young, I understood that the use of the F-word and N-word were not allowed. If my Mother asked what someone said, I would have responded with F-word or N-word. I would have never said the real words out loud because I have too much respect for her. They are offensive words no matter the context.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 10-10-18, 03:25 PM
Wrestling245 Wrestling245 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-06-12
Posts: 962
Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
When McKinley plays at Lake, security guards watch us like hawks. Maybe YOU are the one over-generalizing?
In what part of my post did I generalize anything at all? I clearly stated that I’m well aware racism is still around and exists in sports. Not everyone in my community is my friend or family and I clearly stated none of my family or friends are racists, because if they were they wouldn’t be a part of my life. I have no time for that. My point was not everyone in these communities is racist. So stop implying that, as he did. What exactly are you even trying to argue with me here? I wasn’t even speaking to you.
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 10-10-18, 03:47 PM
Stark Football_13 Stark Football_13 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-17-18
Posts: 40
Stark Football_13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
When McKinley plays at Lake, security guards watch us like hawks. Maybe YOU are the one over-generalizing?
Security guards watch anyone from any school like “hawks” it’s their job, what would be their job if they weren’t supposed to do that?
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 10-10-18, 05:41 PM
just a fan's Avatar
just a fan just a fan is offline
Success is Tradition!
 
Join Date: 10-07-01
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 24,451
just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronNative View Post
This is exactly why I said that I'm done talking and debating about this. That quick you managed to make what I said something completely different. I didn't feel like I needed to break it down or explain it but I guess I will since it seems my words are kind of being taken out of context.

For starters I explained that many (in most cases younger) African American males have used the N word as a term of endearment to one another. I also stated I didn't condone it but I understand. At this point, the individual whose defense you are coming to said, "what, that's BS or something of that nature, etc. I asked him if he was black because if he was he would understand what I was saying. He is not and he didn't understand how that could be viewed as a term of endearment towards one another. Once again I'm not saying its right or wrong. Just stating an opinion that has alot of truth to it based on what I see as a black man myself. And the "are you" questions you asked proves my point. Am I a woman? Most definitely am NOT. I have heard some woman as used words that would be deemed derogatory by a different sex as a term of endearment. Thats all I'm saying is that him disagreeing and not understanding how it can be used as a term of endearment is BS. Just like I would never understand how some females can call each other certains names jokingly. Just saying. And once again, I don't wish to keep debating this. I respect your opinion and have a good day
It wasn't my intent to defend anyone or take things out of context. If I did, my apologies.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 10-10-18, 05:59 PM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,983
my2sense is on a distinguished road
So let's review:

Jackson kid calls McK kid the "N" word.

Some apparently are shocked that this (still) happens.

The kids on your team (whatever your team) have more than likely used the word too.

Racists are alive and well on Yappi and don't believe anything is wrong with it because "they call each other that". Sad.

One poster is using this topic because he either hates and/or is jealous of Jackson in particular and the Fed in general and wouldn't have posted nearly as much had it occurred elsewhere.

Each town and team have racists. All of them are wrong.

This problem will remain until each person searches their heart and becomes aware of their racial biases and commits to changing them. That will likely not occur on this thread so maybe it should jut be closed.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 10-10-18, 06:13 PM
AkronNative AkronNative is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-30-05
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 155
AkronNative
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
It wasn't my intent to defend anyone or take things out of context. If I did, my apologies.
I appreciate the apology but it's not necessary. You're good. Just a misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 10-10-18, 06:49 PM
BigBulldog's Avatar
BigBulldog BigBulldog is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-26-02
Posts: 8,318
BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronNative View Post
This is exactly why I said that I'm done talking and debating about this. That quick you managed to make what I said something completely different. I didn't feel like I needed to break it down or explain it but I guess I will since it seems my words are kind of being taken out of context.

For starters I explained that many (in most cases younger) African American males have used the N word as a term of endearment to one another. I also stated I didn't condone it but I understand. At this point, the individual whose defense you are coming to said, "what, that's BS or something of that nature, etc. I asked him if he was black because if he was he would understand what I was saying. He is not and he didn't understand how that could be viewed as a term of endearment towards one another. Once again I'm not saying its right or wrong. Just stating an opinion that has alot of truth to it based on what I see as a black man myself. And the "are you" questions you asked proves my point. Am I a woman? Most definitely am NOT. I have heard some woman as used words that would be deemed derogatory by a different sex as a term of endearment. Thats all I'm saying is that him disagreeing and not understanding how it can be used as a term of endearment is BS. Just like I would never understand how some females can call each other certains names jokingly. Just saying. And once again, I don't wish to keep debating this. I respect your opinion and have a good day
Thank you for taking the time to explain this.I understood what you meant and knew it was true.My ex-girl friend of 12 years was black and opened my eyes to many things.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 10-10-18, 06:52 PM
Levi Levi is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-29-01
Location: Hoover 22x FED champs
Posts: 29,936
Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine View Post
You know, its guys like you that I had qualms about McKinley in the Fed. I remember the racial incidents with NC during the McDaniels years that ended that series. The sooner they leave they better
I am tired of hearing this myth.

The said word did not occur. I know this I talked to dozens of people who were there at that 1984 game. I even know a McKinley fan who told me the "old guard" was just and I quote "pizzed little white North Canton beat McKinley on the field". However there was an incident that involved bullying of the North Canton band kids by folks from McKinley that has been swept under the rug and re-written into the story that is narrated today.

North Canton had Erick Howard (and his story is tragic) and he had all kinds of bad things happen to him growing up. Kids from GO dropped the "N-Word" on him and his brother and it ended in an altercation. Again kids from GO spray-painted that same word on his house/garage. I know because I lived right around the block from his house around that time. His team-mates helped him clean up everything. Do I think GO is a bunch of racists because of those two incidents? Absolutely not. I'd be close-minded to blame a whole fanbase/community on a single incident by one or two kids.

As far as this incident with the Jackson player it is a dumb thing to say if indeed it was said. My only thing is if the word is so bad then no one should ever use it under any circumstances. There is really no reason for it to be uttered by any person whether white, black or any race. It just doesn't belong.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 10-10-18, 07:58 PM
BigBulldog's Avatar
BigBulldog BigBulldog is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-26-02
Posts: 8,318
BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I am tired of hearing this myth.

The said word did not occur. I know this I talked to dozens of people who were there at that 1984 game. I even know a McKinley fan who told me the "old guard" was just and I quote "pizzed little white North Canton beat McKinley on the field". However there was an incident that involved bullying of the North Canton band kids by folks from McKinley that has been swept under the rug and re-written into the story that is narrated today.

North Canton had Erick Howard (and his story is tragic) and he had all kinds of bad things happen to him growing up. Kids from GO dropped the "N-Word" on him and his brother and it ended in an altercation. Again kids from GO spray-painted that same word on his house/garage. I know because I lived right around the block from his house around that time. His team-mates helped him clean up everything. Do I think GO is a bunch of racists because of those two incidents? Absolutely not. I'd be close-minded to blame a whole fanbase/community on a single incident by one or two kids.

As far as this incident with the Jackson player it is a dumb thing to say if indeed it was said. My only thing is if the word is so bad then no one should ever use it under any circumstances. There is really no reason for it to be uttered by any person whether white, black or any race. It just doesn't belong.
My cousin played for McKinley in the 80's and told me the North Canton kids were calling McKinley kids/players the N word during the football game.Furthermore he said he and the other white kids on McKinley were being called N lovers.

How old were you when this happened? I was an adult and was at the game my cousin was talking about.Remember the McKinley kids ran off the field at the end of the game? And the North Canton fans stood up and were booing the McKinley team for running off the field.Rememeber that?

To this day my couisin still says that North Canton kids were calling the McKinley kids the N word.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 10-10-18, 08:04 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,521
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Anyone in this country that thinks any one word or combination of words belongs only to a person because of their genetics? They'd do better with a hole between their eyes. But we're permitted opinions here, even disgusting ones. So there's mine.


If we can be empathetic enough to understand why someone would be offended by a statue of a 200 year dead person because they lived what was then normal then I think we can be empathetic enough to understand why someone else would find the n-word and any fake derivative of it, grossly offensive. The way to take the sting out of a comment isn't to appropriate it. It's to ignore it.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 10-11-18, 01:34 PM
MCGal MCGal is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-21-01
Posts: 37,966
MCGal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
IMHO there are two separate issues here... and one is debatable, while the other is not.

The common use of the term by music performers and african-american's in general is the debatable one. I don't think it should be used at all but I also don't fully understand the African-American experience and I'm more than willing to recognize that fact.

That being said, the use in a derogatory/inflammatory sense directed at someone with the intent to insult them is NOT debatable and no it really doesn't matter if the Jackson player who said it 'wasn't white'. That makes no difference to me.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 10-11-18, 09:01 PM
BRM12 BRM12 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 04-02-16
Posts: 59
BRM12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitely was white, and there was definitely more than one kid saying it
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 10-11-18, 10:11 PM
bass10 bass10 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-21-08
Posts: 668
bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRM12 View Post
Definitely was white, and there was definitely more than one kid saying it
Oh no we have an epidemic then
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 10-11-18, 10:48 PM
Levi Levi is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-29-01
Location: Hoover 22x FED champs
Posts: 29,936
Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
My cousin played for McKinley in the 80's and told me the North Canton kids were calling McKinley kids/players the N word during the football game.Furthermore he said he and the other white kids on McKinley were being called N lovers.

How old were you when this happened? I was an adult and was at the game my cousin was talking about.Remember the McKinley kids ran off the field at the end of the game? And the North Canton fans stood up and were booing the McKinley team for running off the field.Rememeber that?

To this day my couisin still says that North Canton kids were calling the McKinley kids the N word.
Your cousin is mistaken. It is a myth that won't die unfortunately. This is the 1984 Regular Season game I am referring to.

My age for the game is irrelevant. I know and talked to many people about it not just Hoover fans either. It was hatched when someone called into WHBC that night and started throwing out that narrative and sadly it is one of those things that people will keep parroting.

There was an incident with the Hoover band getting harassed and assaulted that does not see the light of day because it is not a "sexy" headline.

McKinley mentioning fans booing kids is richly ironic since I remember for decades grown adults booing HS kids especially at basketball games.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 10-11-18, 11:20 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
When something is said on the football field between the players the only people that would hear it is the players. In this NC-mck situation I sure would believe someone that played in the game over “some people you talked to” about it, especially since I would be surprised if you were even 5 yrs old in 1984.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 10-11-18, 11:21 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Oh no we have an epidemic then
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 10-11-18, 11:54 PM
elock77 elock77 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-11-18
Posts: 1
elock77 is on a distinguished road
1985 McKinley-Hoover

You are correct that there was no incident at the 1984 McKinley-Hoover game. Absolutely correct. It was during the 1985 McKinley-Hoover game at Fawcett Stadium that Hoover players used that vile racial slur. As a result, McKinley players left the field after the game without meeting the Hoover team at midfield.

McKinley won the game, so this was not poor sportsmanship. No, this was refusing to shake hands with an opponent who had hurled racial slurs at you all night.

The following week, my dad, who taught at McKinley for years, was working out at the North Canton YMCA when a woman approached him to tell him how awful it was that the McKinley kids wouldn't shake hands with the Hoover players.

My dad explained why that happened. She didn't believe him, and said she would ask here son, who was a Hoover player at the time. My dad encouraged her to do just that. A few days later, they ran into each other again at the Y and she sheepishly said that her son admitted that it was indeed true. All of it.

Furthermore, none other than longtime McKinley coach Thom McDaniels has confirmed this version to me. I've known Thom for 30 years, and I'm ABSOLUTELY certain that he would not confirm that story if it wasn't true.

So, yeah, this is no myth. This ugly incident happened. That's why it won't die. It wasn't manufactured when someone called WHBC. Maybe you talked to a lot of people, but you asked about the wrong year.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 10-12-18, 05:03 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 1,983
my2sense is on a distinguished road
Rehashing he said/she said from 35 years ago - I feel like I'm watching the Kavanaugh hearings all over again.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 10-12-18, 08:46 AM
BigBulldog's Avatar
BigBulldog BigBulldog is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-26-02
Posts: 8,318
BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Your cousin is mistaken. It is a myth that won't die unfortunately. This is the 1984 Regular Season game I am referring to.

My age for the game is irrelevant. I know and talked to many people about it not just Hoover fans either. It was hatched when someone called into WHBC that night and started throwing out that narrative and sadly it is one of those things that people will keep parroting.

There was an incident with the Hoover band getting harassed and assaulted that does not see the light of day because it is not a "sexy" headline.

McKinley mentioning fans booing kids is richly ironic since I remember for decades grown adults booing HS kids especially at basketball games.
My cousin and myself are not mistaken,I was referring to the 1985 game that I was at and the McKinley team ran off the field and not shacking hands with the Hoover kids because of the N word being thrown at the McKinley players by Hoover kids.My cousin is correct about the N word being used by the Hoover players.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 10-12-18, 09:20 AM
BigBulldog's Avatar
BigBulldog BigBulldog is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-26-02
Posts: 8,318
BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by elock77 View Post
You are correct that there was no incident at the 1984 McKinley-Hoover game. Absolutely correct. It was during the 1985 McKinley-Hoover game at Fawcett Stadium that Hoover players used that vile racial slur. As a result, McKinley players left the field after the game without meeting the Hoover team at midfield.

McKinley won the game, so this was not poor sportsmanship. No, this was refusing to shake hands with an opponent who had hurled racial slurs at you all night.

The following week, my dad, who taught at McKinley for years, was working out at the North Canton YMCA when a woman approached him to tell him how awful it was that the McKinley kids wouldn't shake hands with the Hoover players.

My dad explained why that happened. She didn't believe him, and said she would ask here son, who was a Hoover player at the time. My dad encouraged her to do just that. A few days later, they ran into each other again at the Y and she sheepishly said that her son admitted that it was indeed true. All of it.

Furthermore, none other than longtime McKinley coach Thom McDaniels has confirmed this version to me. I've known Thom for 30 years, and I'm ABSOLUTELY certain that he would not confirm that story if it wasn't true.

So, yeah, this is no myth. This ugly incident happened. That's why it won't die. It wasn't manufactured when someone called WHBC. Maybe you talked to a lot of people, but you asked about the wrong year.
Thank you for explaining this.It would have taken me over an hour to type this.I need a dictionary on almost all of my posts because my spelling is so bad.Then i have to type with two fingers.

Not only did my one cousin say that the N word was being used my Hoover players but my other cousin played for HOOVER and admitted the N word was being used by his team-mates at Hoover!!
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 10-12-18, 09:51 AM
Levi Levi is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-29-01
Location: Hoover 22x FED champs
Posts: 29,936
Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by elock77 View Post
You are correct that there was no incident at the 1984 McKinley-Hoover game. Absolutely correct. It was during the 1985 McKinley-Hoover game at Fawcett Stadium that Hoover players used that vile racial slur. As a result, McKinley players left the field after the game without meeting the Hoover team at midfield.

McKinley won the game, so this was not poor sportsmanship. No, this was refusing to shake hands with an opponent who had hurled racial slurs at you all night.

The following week, my dad, who taught at McKinley for years, was working out at the North Canton YMCA when a woman approached him to tell him how awful it was that the McKinley kids wouldn't shake hands with the Hoover players.

My dad explained why that happened. She didn't believe him, and said she would ask here son, who was a Hoover player at the time. My dad encouraged her to do just that. A few days later, they ran into each other again at the Y and she sheepishly said that her son admitted that it was indeed true. All of it.

Furthermore, none other than longtime McKinley coach Thom McDaniels has confirmed this version to me. I've known Thom for 30 years, and I'm ABSOLUTELY certain that he would not confirm that story if it wasn't true.

So, yeah, this is no myth. This ugly incident happened. That's why it won't die. It wasn't manufactured when someone called WHBC. Maybe you talked to a lot of people, but you asked about the wrong year.
McDaniels is not someone I would believe his word on anything. I know he and his wife were or at least said things very racist. I heard this from McKinley fans. This goes back to the 1990 incident when people were trying to get rid of Thom as coach. I sat at McKinley games because my wife is a McKinley grad and I would for some years go to McKinley games if Hoover wasn't playing. To be honest I went to random McKinley games since the 1990's simply because I love football and loved going to Fawcett to see a game. In real life McKinley fans have only been nice to me in person. I never even heard of any issue with McKinley until a 1999 playoff game. There were arguments about what was said on the field. I started my own message board around then I really wanted to hear the truth. I had one McKinley fan who came forward with a claim that someone from Hoover used the word in question. I had another personally email me that Hoover player or players yelled the word "trigger" and immediately switched defensive set, his words not mine. Said this occurred in previous games but this time it set off anger and emotion. I dug deeper because I know fanbases all have their a-holes. I started seeking out people who were at the 1984 or 1985 games. This person told me it was the 1984 game. I got more info as time went on in 2001 I met up with a few McKinley fans inbetween games at the 4 game spectacular. A McKinley fan discussed how mad he was at North Canton for the past. He said he appreciated talking to Hoover fans like me talking and I said point blank I don't know what happened but I have heard it was ugly and there was also something with the Hoover band incident in which he had no idea about.

I am not trying to make excuses for the word and I am not making excuses for either side doing or saying dumb crap.

My wife's late father was an avid Pup fan and I never got anything out of him about what happened here other than McKinley fans were pizzed afterwards and I told him that Hoover fans weren't happy and many felt threatened after the band incident and we left it at that.

I was happy in 2001 when I got the news that Hoover and McKinley were going to begin playing a series in 2003. I always thought Hoover playing McKinley or Massillon in the regular season in a Home/Home was only a good thing. Massillon the issue was always both in the 1980's and again in 1999 trying to get Massillon to agree with a Home/Home scenario.

I am not going to go back and forth on it but I will concede to the following statement:

I do not condone the suggestion of what happened in 1984 or 1985 against McKinley by Hoover players. I don't think any logical and sane Hoover fan would. I am not here to further argue the validity of the issue because I feel it is just making things worse going back and forth.

Last edited by Levi; 10-12-18 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 10-12-18, 11:48 AM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,463
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Rehashing he said/she said from 35 years ago - I feel like I'm watching the Kavanaugh hearings all over again.
I agree.

But since some keep bringing it up, let's also not forget what The Repository described as "signs containing derogatory and racist references aimed at McKinley students" that were made and posted in the halls of Washington High School in the name of last year's "spirit week", the buildup to the McKinley-Washington game.

It's unfortunate but it's everywhere.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04/10 - Area College Plyers of the Week - April 2-8 seclmw Baseball 0 04-10-18 03:11 PM
Region 11 Extreme Analysis teach1coach2 Football 36 10-27-17 07:43 AM
Call Yer Shot: McKinley vs Jackson my2sense Football 78 10-07-17 08:28 PM
How many games will Canton McKinley win this coming season??? IUDOGS Football 45 08-16-17 09:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz