Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-06-18, 03:57 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Man what a game at Baldwin Wallace last night. It took me the entire 2 hour ride home to come down from the high of seeing that great game. It was awesome and I love watching Buczynski play. He is a stud. Both Falls and Berea have some studs. Now I'm fired up for Berea at Avon Lake. I hope I see another great game and shootout! I didn't look at the schedule yet, but I hope The Indians aren't home next Friday. That ride over to Avon, Berea, etc.. is brutal going I-90 when I hit Cleveland. (traffic wise). Coming home is a breeze compared to going there. Its an extra half hour going vs. coming back to Erie.
Old 10-11-18, 09:36 AM
Varsity

MY BALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Avon Lake dodged a huge bullet in Amherst, but survived unbeaten and advanced. Berea-Midpark and Olmsted Falls had a game that tested the scoreboard capacity, with the Titans winning it. Midview finally broke into the win column, and North Ridgeville continued to improve.

IMO, the league is not very strong this season and will not make much noise in the playoffs, but it has been an extremely fun race for the SWC title and the fun continues in Week 8.

Winners in bold.

Amherst (5-2/4-2) at North Olmsted (3-4/2-4) -- The Comets have suffered two tough losses in a row, and the Eagles are capable of beating Amherst if the Comets are looking ahead to Avon in Week 9. I think Amherst bounces back, though.

Avon (6-1/5-1) at North Ridgeville (2-5/2-4) -- Much like last season when the Rangers pushed Avon to the brink...I think this one is very similar, but same as last season...Avon survives a scare.

Berea-Midpark (5-2/5-1) at Avon Lake (7-0/6-0) -- This one should have plenty of offensive fireworks! The Shoremen dodged bullets vs Avon and Amherst. Can the Titans be the team that finally deals the Shoremen a loss? Yes. Will they? Yes.

Westlake (1-6/1-5) at Lakewood (0-7/0-6) -- The Demons have a great chance to double their win total against the hapless Rangers.

Midview (1-6/1-5) at Olmsted Falls (5-2/4-2) -- This was a marquee match-up for many years, and as recent as last year, but this time it will be all Bulldogs.
It was good to see B-M get that win. I can't believe that they haven't had greater success the last few years. That QB is a player and there is a lot of athletic talent on that team. If Avon Lake wasn't at home I would think B-M could outscore them, but strange things happen at the caboose stadium late in a season. I would be shocked if Avon Lake doesn't lose in the next 2 weeks. Olmsted Falls is going to be fighting for their playoff lives next week and Bagley road is a tough place to play late in the season. It would be interesting if AL lost both & Avon finishes on top in a 'down' year for them. What if B-M runs the table and end up tied for the top? Going to be an interesting last few weeks.
Old 10-11-18, 03:40 PM
All Ohio

throwback is on a distinguished road
The AL/BM game should be a good one. 50degrees and possible rain is the forecast. Wind is forecast at 10-15mph out of the west/southwest. Weather could very well affect the passing games. What is B/Ms running game look like?
Old 10-11-18, 05:08 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Their run game is pretty good. They have 2 good RBs and a Qb that can run. The RBs are good, but they spread you out and run at such a high tempo that helps their run game tremendously. The QB hasn't run this year like he did last year. I see he has a brace on his knee that he didn't have last year. So I'm assuming at some point he injured it and has been told to only run out of necessity. Where last year he had called runs and was a stud running it. As far as the wind goes, 10-15 mph for Berea's QB is nothing. He has an absolute canon. I'm more interested in seeing if the WRs can make all the catches. He throws is so hard and they have been used to warm temps. This will be a huge temp change for the WRs. Will they have the dropsies. Wind could very easily affect the kicking and punting game though. Also the lates forecast I just saw was rain holing off till around 11:00 PM. Hope its another SWC classic.
Old 10-11-18, 05:18 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Good picks above, except have to go with AL over BM
Old 10-11-18, 06:09 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Nothing, including the Shoremen, beats a good BM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-18, 08:28 PM
All District

bagobones is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
Nothing, including the Shoremen, beats

That is classic
Old 10-11-18, 09:05 PM
Varsity

Hdog is on a distinguished road
The Titans O-line is bigger and more talented than the last two seasons. It is anchored by their junior left tackle who is a D-1 Power 5 type kid. They are coached well and will be able to make the adjustments to run against any front they see as the weather turns. I donít know much about Avon Lake, I recall from last year they were a scrappy, disciplined, well coached team, but I donít remember any players that stood out. I think the Titans will have the edge with skill players and the ability to put up a lot of points. Like all big games, it will come down to who can make the plays and avoid mistakes. I felt the Titans looked better than Amherst a few weeks back but had two fumbles in the first half of that game that gave the Comets a short field that lead to two scores - a real killer in close games.
Old 10-12-18, 11:58 AM
All Ohio

Forecast change. Rain now at 7:00. Temps in 40s. Bring rain gear. Will the passing games be affected?

Last edited by throwback; 10-12-18 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 09:03 PM
All Ohio

AL out scores BM 28-7 in the 2nd half. BM had 3 interceptions and a fumble. BMs defense sucked as AL continually ran up the middle and BM had no answers. Bereas big offensive linemen were slow. They had to play both ways starting late in the first half in a futile effort to stop the Shoremen running game. AL is atop the SWC for a reason.
Old 10-13-18, 05:51 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Huge win for AL and a big loss for B-M. Probably done for the playoffs, though they still have a shot if they win out. Huge win for North Olmsted and a big loss for Amherst. The Comets are still feasting off the points from their Clearview win, though, but they face Avon on Friday. North Olmsted is back in the playoff hunt.

Due to travel, I don't have time for a full blown summary/prediction post, but there are clearly some big games this week. I have Avon over Amherst...Avon Lake over Olmsted Falls...B-M over North Olmsted. The other games are just jockeying for best of the bottom.
Old 10-14-18, 07:48 AM
Junior Varsity

pgf1582 is on a distinguished road
I keep waiting for Amherst to win that big game, but then they surprise me and lose to a team (no disrespect to North Olmsted) they shouldn’t lose to.
Old 10-14-18, 07:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf1582 View Post
I keep waiting for Amherst to win that big game, but then they surprise me and lose to a team (no disrespect to North Olmsted) they shouldnít lose to.
I have been thinking the same thing, but I also felt that North Olmsted was capable of making the playoffs if they played to potential, so at this point it was more of a toss-up. Amherst gets their chance against Avon this Friday.
Old 10-15-18, 06:51 AM
Varsity

MY BALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf1582 View Post
I keep waiting for Amherst to win that big game, but then they surprise me and lose to a team (no disrespect to North Olmsted) they shouldnít lose to.
Amherst's lack of numbers and depth catches up with them. Every team suffers injuries by this point in the season, but with a lack of depth it becomes a problem. Also they really didn't turn the ball over all year, but last 2 weeks had catastrophic turnovers. If Amherst doesn't sneak in the playoff this year, the playoff drought may continue for a long time without catching lightening in a bottle. At least Amherst can get ready for another stellar basketball season.
Old 10-15-18, 07:40 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
Nothing, including the Shoremen, beats a good BM

Seems from the final score of the game someone just might be a little constipated. Hope they overcome their problem by next week.
Old 10-15-18, 08:11 AM
All Region

Well played.

Old 10-15-18, 09:15 AM
All Region

ThankYouJesus is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to your post-game eval!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdog View Post
The Titans O-line is bigger and more talented than the last two seasons. It is anchored by their junior left tackle who is a D-1 Power 5 type kid. They are coached well and will be able to make the adjustments to run against any front they see as the weather turns. I donít know much about Avon Lake, I recall from last year they were a scrappy, disciplined, well coached team, but I donít remember any players that stood out. I think the Titans will have the edge with skill players and the ability to put up a lot of points. Like all big games, it will come down to who can make the plays and avoid mistakes. I felt the Titans looked better than Amherst a few weeks back but had two fumbles in the first half of that game that gave the Comets a short field that lead to two scores - a real killer in close games.
Must be tough to believe in an illusion?

BM has one win versus a winning record team in the last three years???????
Old 10-15-18, 11:26 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
The depth weakness that was cited about Amherst kind of hit Olmsted Falls against Berea. Best DB was hurt, best rush DE was hurt--big drop off to the replacements--give up 70 points to a team that was probably still good enough to go for 50 against OF. So the lone win vs. a winning team over the last three years that thankyoujesus cites above gets an asterisk added to it.

I think that's why Avon is the marquee program year-in, year-out in the SWC: just so many more sheer numbers in its program than anyone else. It really helps once you get to this part of the year.
Old 10-15-18, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
The depth weakness that was cited about Amherst kind of hit Olmsted Falls against Berea. Best DB was hurt, best rush DE was hurt--big drop off to the replacements--give up 70 points to a team that was probably still good enough to go for 50 against OF. So the lone win vs. a winning team over the last three years that thankyoujesus cites above gets an asterisk added to it.

I think that's why Avon is the marquee program year-in, year-out in the SWC: just so many more sheer numbers in its program than anyone else. It really helps once you get to this part of the year.
Regarding Avon, correct. There has been a rash of injuries all season, but Avon has developed next man up depth. But it’s not just the numbers. It’s that Coach Elder gives real reps in real situations, even in close games, to second and third stringers. So when injuries happen, the replacements have already been exposed to the bright lights and game speed.
Old 10-15-18, 12:44 PM
All District

MitchVigil is on a distinguished road
Props to Lakewood

Although of little interest to most fans, it was nice to see Lakewood pull off the upset of Westlake.
I didn't think they would win a game all year, I'm glad to be proven wrong.
I never like to see a high school team go winless.
Old 10-15-18, 01:54 PM
All Region

Thats a nice win for Lakewood. I guess that is why that brought him in!! I imagine it was a heck of a well deserved celebration for the staff afterwards.
Old 10-16-18, 12:08 PM
All Region

Is BM a disappointment this season??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYouJesus View Post
Must be tough to believe in an illusion?

BM has one win versus a winning record team in the last three years???????
Given BM has arguably the best QB in Northern Ohio, you have to really wonder in what direction this program is headed as year 3 wraps up for the current regime?

The new defensive staff this year doesn't seem to have fixed anything, have they?
Old 10-20-18, 07:33 AM
All American

A wild night last night. Man—six good teams that can beat any of the others on any given night. Sets up two more real appealing matchups next Friday night, with high-scoring Avon and Berea playing, and a potential play-in game for the playoffs between North and Falls
Old 10-20-18, 07:37 AM
All American

Quote:
The new defensive staff this year doesn't seem to have fixed anything, have they?
I thought you needed to cut the new staff some slack the first two years they were with the program (2016 & 2017), since I know how tough it is to take over a new team and implement a new system, but this is year three and there’s not much change defensively. And it’s not like Byczynski will win them many games in 2019.

Shocks me that they have the athletes that they do, the speed that they do, and still give up 50/game on a regular basis (allowing 51 per game vs the five teams on their schedule with a winning record; another half-hundred upcoming vs Avon Friday)

Last edited by Myron; 10-20-18 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-20-18, 11:24 AM
All Region

cjb56, ES Furgeson & HDog??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
I thought you needed to cut the new staff some slack the first two years they were with the program (2016 & 2017), since I know how tough it is to take over a new team and implement a new system, but this is year three and thereís not much change defensively. And itís not like Byczynski will win them many games in 2019.

Shocks me that they have the athletes that they do, the speed that they do, and still give up 50/game on a regular basis (allowing 51 per game vs the five teams on their schedule with a winning record; another half-hundred upcoming vs Avon Friday)
Myron, you seem to get it, while others, (those mentioned above), did nothing but promote BM this season? Did North Olmsted score over 50 against anyone else? Berea/Brookpark kids used to be street tough?????
Old 10-20-18, 12:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Myron, you seem to get it, while others, (those mentioned above), did nothing but promote BM this season? Did North Olmsted score over 50 against anyone else? Berea/Brookpark kids used to be street tough?????
Clearly something is wrong. They are wasting seasons and talent due to little emphasis on defense. It needs to be addressed in the off-season. This should not have been a .500 team this season.
Old 10-21-18, 08:30 AM
All Region

ESF & HDOG, where are you???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Clearly something is wrong. They are wasting seasons and talent due to little emphasis on defense. It needs to be addressed in the off-season. This should not have been a .500 team this season.
As always cjb56, you have the courage to admit when you are wrong. Great respect for you! Last year everyone but you scoffed when I said first team to 50 would win the Amherst vs BM game as I questioned BM's unsound defensive scheme. Waiting for ESF and HDog to follow your lead, after having patiently read their BS with respect to their BM predictions!

By the way cjb56, shouldn't BM have addressed this last off-season; oh that's right, they hired a new defensive coordinator. Maybe BM's head coach is clueless in terms of hiring a quality DC?
Old 10-21-18, 09:38 AM
All American

TYJ:

How many of those good athletes on offense (i.e., Waite, Holland, Siggers, and the RB) start on defense? And how many of that strong OL start on the DL?
Old 10-22-18, 10:33 AM
All Region

bkmk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Man what a game at Baldwin Wallace last night. It took me the entire 2 hour ride home to come down from the high of seeing that great game. It was awesome and I love watching Buczynski play. He is a stud. Both Falls and Berea have some studs. Now I'm fired up for Berea at Avon Lake. I hope I see another great game and shootout! I didn't look at the schedule yet, but I hope The Indians aren't home next Friday. That ride over to Avon, Berea, etc.. is brutal going I-90 when I hit Cleveland. (traffic wise). Coming home is a breeze compared to going there. Its an extra half hour going vs. coming back to Erie.
Would love to read your evaluation of the program at this point, hopefully you have calmed down from the greatest high school game you have ever witnessed when BM defeated a defensively depleted Falls team?
Old 10-27-18, 05:50 AM
All District

poursomebrewonit is on a distinguished road
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ference-crown/

Avon and BM combined for 1,264 yards of total offense. Holy hell. BM really does not play defense, and with their high powered offense, it seems like any semblance of a defense would have them winning a few more games. That's amazing. What kind of base defense do they play? Do they only play with 9 or 10 guys on the field or something?