Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-24-18, 07:26 AM
All Region

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlnewbie View Post
I guess you have never heard of Jalen Avery? Only led NCAA D1 in assist to TO ratio, but who am I... I guess the next question will morph into ok can you name anybody else?
Well his recruiting has picked up, hes got 2 or 3 on this team that will play college ball...and who knows how many more after hes done recruiting the aau circuit this spring.
Old 04-24-18, 02:58 PM
All Ohio

CoreyAlbertson513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators34 View Post
Can you name anybody that Gentry has coached and went to play college ball he's been coaching high school how many years?
From the OBC '17 team he had....

Jaden Sayles - Sycamore - Akron
Tyler Mitchell - Kings - Wright State
Lonnie Grayson - Wyoming - Army
Correy Long - Hughes - Stony Brook
Malek Green - Taft - Morehead State
Sean McNeil - Cooper/KY - Bellarmine
TJ Walker - Summit - Mount Vernon Nazerene
James Johnson - Roger Bacon - Wilmington College

Justin Johnson (Roger Bacon) and Frankie Royles (Taft) were also on that team and both at JUCOS, I know Royles' school is in Kansas and he has been killing it out there.

At Shroder he had Jalen Avery (Kent State) and Donte Battle (Walsh then transferred somewhere else).

I'm sure he had guys that went on to play college at Withrow and Aiken before that.
Old 04-24-18, 04:57 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyAlbertson513 View Post

Justin Johnson (Roger Bacon) and Frankie Royles (Taft) were also on that team and both at JUCOS, I know Royles' school is in Kansas and he has been killing it out there.

At Shroder he had Jalen Avery (Kent State) and Donte Battle (Walsh then transferred somewhere else).

I'm sure he had guys that went on to play college at Withrow and Aiken before that.
Cory, I know that you are in bed with Gentry but can you honestly answer this: Do you truly think what he has done at Deer Park is good for high school basketball and the competitive balance? Good for the CHL? Not what is good for him, or for some of his players, but what is good for high school basketball.
Old 04-25-18, 11:54 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
Cory, I know that you are in bed with Gentry but can you honestly answer this: Do you truly think what he has done at Deer Park is good for high school basketball and the competitive balance? Good for the CHL? Not what is good for him, or for some of his players, but what is good for high school basketball.
I didn't know that I was in bed with Gentry.

I have no vested interest in kids attending DP vs any other school.

I'm just happy that a Cincinnati team won a state title. Don't care if it was DP, PM or someone else.
Old 04-25-18, 02:31 PM
All Region

Quote:
I didn't know that I was in bed with Gentry.

I have no vested interest in kids attending DP vs any other school.

I'm just happy that a Cincinnati team won a state title. Don't care if it was DP, PM or someone else.
Im not saying that you have a vested interest in kids attending Deer Park. I just meant that you know him well and are coaching in the same aau program, correct? You still didnt answer my question though...
Old 04-26-18, 09:38 AM
All American

BusinessEnd
Quote:

Sorry ... you can't credit Gentry with getting the OBC kids scholarships. He did very little to nothing in their recruitment and I know this for a FACT.

He did have a lot to do with getting Avery to Kent State and Battle to Walsh for a year. I would even give him a little credit for Darren Goodsen from Aiken going to Bowling Green and maybe even Ricardo Maxwell. Outside of that ..... very few kids from his teams have gone on to play at the collegiate level.
Old 04-27-18, 01:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessEnd View Post
Sorry ... you can't credit Gentry with getting the OBC kids scholarships. He did very little to nothing in their recruitment and I know this for a FACT.

He did have a lot to do with getting Avery to Kent State and Battle to Walsh for a year. I would even give him a little credit for Darren Goodsen from Aiken going to Bowling Green and maybe even Ricardo Maxwell. Outside of that ..... very few kids from his teams have gone on to play at the collegiate level.
The question was, what kids has he coached that have gone on to play in college? You guys can't ask questions about Steve and then change the wording once the answer comes out negatively against your opinion.

With 90% or more of kids, I don't see any one person as having helped the kid get his exposure. It's almost always a culmination of several things, and the mitigating factor is exclusively going to be the kid's talent level.
Old 04-27-18, 01:21 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The question was, what kids has he coached that have gone on to play in college? You guys can't ask questions about Steve and then change the wording once the answer comes out negatively against your opinion.

With 90% or more of kids, I don't see any one person as having helped the kid get his exposure. It's almost always a culmination of several things, and the mitigating factor is exclusively going to be the kid's talent level.
If we are talking D1, the high school coach has very little to do with a kid getting a scholarship.
Old 04-27-18, 09:25 PM
All Ohio

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You're wasting your breath. This thread is full of jealous CHL fans and Moeller stopping hypocrites. Thanks for taking the time to actually provide information though.
Old 04-30-18, 11:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
If we are talking D1, the high school coach has very little to do with a kid getting a scholarship.
I strongly disagree. There are many kids who've gone to schools like Moeller that would never have played D1 if it weren't for their HS coaches. Unless a kid is high level D1 lock like a Luke Kennard, Vince Edwards, Darius Bazley, Devin Williams, etc. then it takes multiple people working together, with the HS coach being an integral part of that 90% or more of the time, for the kid to get recognized and recruited by NCAA D1's.