Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-12-17, 10:46 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a name-change/total rebranding for this organization is in order.
Old 10-12-17, 11:16 AM
All Ohio

lat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
This is absolute BS......

This country is going down hill because of this type of crap....

a BOY is a BOY and a GIRL is a GIRL.... They are different.

what's next, girls playing football.... don't get me started on that.
I agree this is BS but as far a girl playing football that has and is happening Sidney has a girl kicker
Old 10-12-17, 11:38 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Yes, and mine used scouting to help them do so. They also fed me but did not grow the food and sent me to school as well, even though parents are the primary educators of their children. My parents also let me play on sports teams with kids from other families and we had coaches who were not my parents. They even let me go to church and listen to other people talk about morals.

I guess you were home schooled and lived on a farm where you grew your own food and were not allowed to go to church or to participate in any activities not run by your parents, so that your parents could do their jobs to feed, educate and instill you with morals without any interference from anyone else.

Have your parent unlocked the door yet and let you out of their basement?

With all due respect your comment was stupid.
I have no problem with you disagreeing with my comment but I turned out fine never smoked,never drank alcohol,never been in jail or suspended from school in fact never been to church but had a spiritual upbringing to help me reinforce what I was being taught at home and guide me through those trying teenage years. Those values and morals came from home as well I had a great upbringing however I've never been a Boy Scout although I respect that organization for what they do but didn't want that life. I played two sports in college(baseball scholarship) with a degree in education. I also have a wife and children and before I was married my preference was women,don't know you but based on your sensitive reply maybe your preference was different I don't know and that's ok based on society but morally it's not. I don't know maybe my parents were better than yours?

With all due respect.
Old 10-12-17, 12:08 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
I have no problem with you disagreeing with my comment but I turned out fine never smoked,never drank alcohol,never been in jail or suspended from school in fact never been to church but had a spiritual upbringing to help me reinforce what I was being taught at home and guide me through those trying teenage years. Those values and morals came from home as well I had a great upbringing however I've never been a Boy Scout although I respect that organization for what they do but didn't want that life. I played two sports in college(baseball scholarship) with a degree in education. I also have a wife and children and before I was married my preference was women,don't know you but based on your sensitive reply maybe your preference was different I don't know and that's ok based on society but morally it's not. I don't know maybe my parents were better than yours?

With all due respect.
OK, so you were either a sports prodigy and had no involvement from youth team coaches or, you did have coaches in your youth who helped teach you life lessons. Also, you were either home schooled or you did have teachers and other adults help provide guidance on how to behave in society at large.

So why did you make your comment which implies that the Boy Scout values should only be taught by parents? Maybe you did not intend it as it read, but that is the way it read.
Old 10-12-17, 12:50 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You really don't understand how this works. Venture Scouts do not exist "along side" Boy Scouts, Boy Scouts graduate into Venture Scouts, although there is some overlap from 14-18 years old. Your comment does not make any sense no matter how you approach it. A girl only option does not exist. Maybe it "should" exist, but it doesn't.
"there is some over lap"? LOL you mean like the years 14-17? I'm sure BSA determined that prior to 14, they didn't want the boys and girls together. How you can say they don't exist along side is silly.
Old 10-12-17, 12:56 PM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OK, so you were either a sports prodigy and had no involvement from youth team coaches or, you did have coaches in your youth who helped teach you life lessons. Also, you were either home schooled or you did have teachers and other adults help provide guidance on how to behave in society at large.

So why did you make your comment which implies that the Boy Scout values should only be taught by parents? Maybe you did not intend it as it read, but that is the way it read.
I currently coach I've been an Athletic Director and have coached almost 30 years. I totally get what you're saying about BSA my point was that those values and life charateristics are usually instilled at home. Coaches and other mentors just reinforce as you mentioned but it stars at home.
Old 10-12-17, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
So, let me get this straight. A dying organization is going to allow girls into it and permit those girls to attain Eagle Scout status (just another line on your college app these days). Assuming the meetings aren't about "swordfighting" or "circle.....", I don't get the furor. Lord knows this institution has had some embarrassing "all male" incidents.
Old 10-12-17, 01:07 PM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1
Now the same people wanting girls in the boy scouts need to stay consistent and start yelling for the girls scouts to except boys.
Old 10-12-17, 01:07 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
I currently coach I've been an Athletic Director and have coached almost 30 years. I totally get what you're saying about BSA my point was that those values and life charateristics are usually instilled at home. Coaches and other mentors just reinforce as you mentioned but it stars at home.
Agreed
Old 10-12-17, 01:15 PM
All World

WykidWytch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Hitter 1 View Post
Now the same people wanting girls in the boy scouts need to stay consistent and start yelling for the girls scouts to except boys.
They already except boys.

I can't imagine people that see the value in girls joining the BSA would have much issue with the reverse. Since the GSA is a different experience, there's no equivalent for boys to join. Makes sense to allow it...or combine the two groups under one big umbrella and rename them without being gender specific.
Old 10-12-17, 01:29 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Hitter 1 View Post
To be consistent, all one needs to do is say that private organizations can choose for themselves.
Old 10-12-17, 01:32 PM
All World

WykidWytch
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
To be consistent, all one needs to do is say that private organizations can choose for themselves.
Very true. This is a move initiated by BSA not some outside force.
Old 10-12-17, 01:36 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Could we make the statement that this may be the beginning of the end of boy scouts? I mean, is a parent going to let their daughter go to a meeting with all boys and male scout leaders? Or better yet, how long before we have a "boy" scout group that is mostly girls? I just think it's going to slowly die out.
Old 10-12-17, 01:37 PM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Lol the usual snowflakes having meltdowns in here.
Old 10-12-17, 01:43 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Could we make the statement that this may be the beginning of the end of boy scouts? I mean, is a parent going to let their daughter go to a meeting with all boys and male scout leaders? Or better yet, how long before we have a "boy" scout group that is mostly girls? I just think it's going to slowly die out.
It is slowly dying now. That's what they're trying to avoid. Whether this is part of the fix or will quicken its demise will be seen.
Old 10-12-17, 01:47 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
How many posts in this thread are honest and sincere opinions? Tough to even read threads in these forums sometimes because many are a complete waste of your time to even glance at.

I supposed this post, included.
Old 10-12-17, 01:48 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
This is an interesting thread though. As a former boy scout who is a father of a 3 year old girl, it caught my interest. I have time to see how this works out for them before she is old enough.
Old 10-12-17, 01:50 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Lol the usual snowflakes having meltdowns in here.
Clone! Congrats, glad to see you all are integrating
Old 10-12-17, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
This is an interesting thread though. As a former boy scout who is a father of a 3 year old girl, it caught my interest. I have time to see how this works out for them before she is old enough.
lol.... how quickly the tune changed.......
Old 10-12-17, 02:54 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
How many posts in this thread are honest and sincere opinions? Tough to even read threads in these forums sometimes because many are a complete waste of your time to even glance at.

Good question EagleFan. I keep seeing posts claiming folks are "melting down"; are "being snowflakes"; or are "angry" yet when I read the posts of people who are actually discussing this I don't see any of these behaviors.

Outside of PurpleMojo who has made a solid, experience based argument in support of letting girls into the boy scouts the rest of the usual suspects have responded with their typical derision and personal attacks. It seems for them there is ONLY one side to all these cultural disagreements. I guess this just shows how weak their arguments actually are as they seem reluctant to share them with us. Or maybe they just aren't capable of articulating why admitting girls to the boy scouts is a good idea.
Old 10-12-17, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I think you don't understand that most of us just don't care. This isn't a decision that will have any profound effect, positive or negative, on society. On the other hand, you seem to think decisions like this will be the downfall of western civilization. It's typical overreaction.
Old 10-12-17, 03:04 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
I think you don't understand that most of us just don't care. This isn't a decision that will have any profound effect, positive or negative, on society. On the other hand, you seem to think decisions like this will be the downfall of western civilization. It's typical overreaction.
Well if you don't care, why are you posting?
Old 10-12-17, 03:05 PM
All Ohio

Username1 is on a distinguished road
In the Boy Scouts would they teach them how to hunt, gun safety, fishing, conservation? I
am asking because all the Scouts that I had coached at one time or the other was usually the nerd or just a kid that didn't know how to really socialize. Not that teaching more rugged outdoors stuff would change that, but it might give them a little more confidence knowing that if they could take out a deer with a bow then the kids messing with them wouldn't be an issue either. Just sayin'
Old 10-12-17, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
First, there's really no reason to exclude girls from the activities Boy Scouts does. Second, if Boy Scouts wanted to remain exclusively all male, I'd have no problem with it. Third, if Boy Scouts feels this is a needed change to either benefit girls or just for their own survival, I have no issue with it.
Old 10-12-17, 03:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Where did I say this will end Western Civilization? It will end the Boy Scouts but that's another issue.

And I'll echo Hammerdrill's post: if you don't care why on earth do you post multiple comments on these threads? If I didn't care about a topic it would be a complete waste of time to post about it so I'm curious as to what goes through your mind when in "not caring" you jump into these threads. Is it to show off your witty one liners?
Old 10-12-17, 03:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
Well if you don't care, why are you posting?
You interpreted me posting how this isn't the downfall of western civilization as me caring about whether or not the boy scouts let girls in? Are you dense?
Old 10-12-17, 03:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Where did I say this will end Western Civilization? It will end the Boy Scouts but that's another issue.

And I'll echo Hammerdrill's post: if you don't care why on earth do you post multiple comments on these threads? If I didn't care about a topic it would be a complete waste of time to post about it so I'm curious as to what goes through your mind when in "not caring" you jump into these threads. Is it to show off your witty one liners?
The boy scouts would have ended on their own just fine. This doesn't change that.

Can you point to a specific post of mine where I indicated that I care whether or not the boy scouts lets girls in?
Old 10-12-17, 03:15 PM
All Ohio

Username1 is on a distinguished road
I don't care either.
Old 10-12-17, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
First, there's really no reason to exclude girls from the activities Boy Scouts does. Second, if Boy Scouts wanted to remain exclusively all male, I'd have no problem with it. Third, if Boy Scouts feels this is a needed change to either benefit girls or just for their own survival, I have no issue with it.
I think the original rational for excluding girls from the Boy Scouts was similar to the rational that excludes girls from all boy parochial schools like Elder. There is a belief that for certain activities boys AND girls may benefit more when separated. And this belief is not without merit as it is backed up by evolutionary biology and a good deal of real life experience.

Ultimately as you say it is for the Boy Scouts to decide and if a sizable part of their membership disagrees with the decision they will likely depart and create alternative youth organizations that meet their children's needs.
Old 10-12-17, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You interpreted me posting how this isn't the downfall of western civilization as me caring about whether or not the boy scouts let girls in? Are you dense?
Now whose getting angry and melting down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: