Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-06-17, 02:29 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
AOL Instant Messenger is shutting down

Service will shutdown on December 15th, 2017.

AOL was the first true social media website but had no idea what they had created. Once broadband came along, they were doomed.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-17, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Ted and I will have to find another way to communicate.
Old 10-06-17, 08:37 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
I had my first email account with AOL though I don't recall using for anything else, including newsgroups. I stopped using it when I moved to Hotmail. Surely, AOL has purged my account!

Actually, only AIM will be discontinued. AOL, like other IT-related entities, has morphed over the years, beginning as a gaming site for Atari and, a bit later, Commodore (see Wikipedia) and switching to an advertising/media enterprise. All of this I did not know. I do remember its ill-fated merger with Time Warner and, more recently, Verizon's purchase. Verizon plans to merge AOL and Yahoo!, creating Oath (per Wikipedia).

Fun stuff! Yet, oh so hard to keep up with.
Old 10-07-17, 01:34 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Phones, Twitter and facebook have basically removed the need for a standalone messaging app. I can't even remember the last time I used AIM. I remember I had a program that connected to multiple protocols including AIM, Yahoo, and ICQ. Probably last used it around 2008.

And I just had to search for it. ICQ is still around over 20 years after it went online. The one great thing about ICQ that no one else got right, was the use of USER ID#s, where you could then use whatever nickname and name for your account, allowing more than one person to use the same name or nickname.
Old 10-07-17, 07:51 AM
All Ohio

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Ted and I will have to find another way to communicate.
Send me your number ep, we will text.
Old 10-07-17, 08:09 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Phones, Twitter and facebook have basically removed the need for a standalone messaging app.
Canít believe I hadnít realized this.
Old 10-07-17, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Shared this news at work the other day. One of the younger employees didn't know what AIM was.

Wife and I met on Match.com. First conversation was 7 hours on AIM. Good memories, but it's totally outdated, now. It was fun while it lasted. Good ol' away messages!
Old 10-07-17, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I didn't even know it was still running
Old 10-07-17, 01:44 PM
All Ohio

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Shared this news at work the other day. One of the younger employees didn't know what AIM was.

Wife and I met on Match.com. First conversation was 7 hours on AIM. Good memories, but it's totally outdated, now. It was fun while it lasted. Good ol' away messages!
7 hr convo anywhere is too long, especially on the computer. Hope she sent nudes within the 7hrs. 7hrs texting is equal to 3 months dating.
Old 10-07-17, 04:03 PM
All American

Smile

Quote:
Phones, Twitter and facebook have basically removed the need for a standalone messaging app. I can't even remember the last time I used AIM. I remember I had a program that connected to multiple protocols including AIM, Yahoo, and ICQ. Probably last used it around 2008.

And I just had to search for it. ICQ is still around over 20 years after it went online. The one great thing about ICQ that no one else got right, was the use of USER ID#s, where you could then use whatever nickname and name for your account, allowing more than one person to use the same name or nickname.
Yeah. I picked up a textbook from the library's exchange bin (The Internet - Thompson Publishing - 2005 Version) a few weeks back. Skipped the first five chapters (common knowledge), but covered the final seven just to see what happened pre-2005 I did not know about. LOL As an example, I did not know about mailing lists and the email commands (for example, "subscribe mailing list") necessary to use this tool and how lists worked (servers, monitors, etc.). Definitely seems archaic by today's standards - yet advanced for the times.

About ICQ: This is one of the early sites mentioned in the book. As I came across the names of various sites, I checked to see which ones were still active. While some went away, others have morphed (AOL). I was surprised to see how many were still active, probably because I normally don't wander far from the beaten path. (Bing, Yahoo!, Yappi, of course, Google) Too little time - or energy!
Old 10-09-17, 01:09 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Yeah. I picked up a textbook from the library's exchange bin (The Internet - Thompson Publishing - 2005 Version) a few weeks back. Skipped the first five chapters (common knowledge), but covered the final seven just to see what happened pre-2005 I did not know about. LOL As an example, I did not know about mailing lists and the email commands (for example, "subscribe mailing list") necessary to use this tool and how lists worked (servers, monitors, etc.). Definitely seems archaic by today's standards - yet advanced for the times.

About ICQ: This is one of the early sites mentioned in the book. As I came across the names of various sites, I checked to see which ones were still active. While some went away, others have morphed (AOL). I was surprised to see how many were still active, probably because I normally don't wander far from the beaten path. (Bing, Yahoo!, Yappi, of course, Google) Too little time - or energy!
I don't feel like I'm that old. But in terms of the internet, I'm ancient. I remember being on dozens of mailing lists. Telnet. IRC. I built my own server primarily for email. Because at the time it was either through your ISP or you had Yahoo, Hotmail, or one of the various clones.

Netscape Navigator was the dominant browser before the "Browser Wars", though today it's funny to think Internet Explorer 'won' when Chrome and Firefox are out there fighting each other for market share.

I remember when HTML 2.0 came out and how it 'revolutionized' the internet. Now, HTML 5 is basically magic compared to 2.0. I remember when almost anything you wanted to download was on an FTP server. Then other web protocols such as GOPHER. Now virtually everything runs through HTTP.
Old 10-09-17, 09:14 PM
All American

Quote:
I don't feel like I'm that old. But in terms of the internet, I'm ancient. I remember being on dozens of mailing lists. Telnet. IRC. I built my own server primarily for email. Because at the time it was either through your ISP or you had Yahoo, Hotmail, or one of the various clones.

Netscape Navigator was the dominant browser before the "Browser Wars", though today it's funny to think Internet Explorer 'won' when Chrome and Firefox are out there fighting each other for market share.

I remember when HTML 2.0 came out and how it 'revolutionized' the internet. Now, HTML 5 is basically magic compared to 2.0. I remember when almost anything you wanted to download was on an FTP server. Then other web protocols such as GOPHER. Now virtually everything runs through HTTP.
^ Bold.

1] Cool. I can see the need.
2] This I remember, along with Lotus123 and WordPerfect.
3] Yes. GOPHER sounded familiar, but I had to Google it. Ahh, the IT acronyms!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: