Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-01-17, 10:04 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
What Movies Did You Watch in October 2017?

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-17, 10:26 PM
All Yappi

Roar (1981)

Adventure: Known as the "Most Dangerous Movie Ever Filmed" Roar is about a family who comes to visit their father in Africa. There was a mix-up and the family arrives at the house while the father is heading to pick them up at the airport. The family is unaware that they house they are in is also occupied by over 150 Big Cats...... 5.5/8

Over 150 untrained Big Cats including Lions and Tigers were used in this film. While the film claims no animals were harmed during filming the same cannot be true of the cast as a few of them got mauled including Melanie Griffith (some of it is included in the film... the blood is real) and over 70 attacks were reported while filming. The animals were not trained so the cast had to just go with the flow and they all interacted with the big cats. Nobody died while filming the picture. It took 7 years of filming and unfortunately 3 of the Lions died when a damn broke and flooded the set.

Old 10-01-17, 10:40 PM
All Yappi

Nocturnal Animals (2016) ... 6.0/8

... One of a few films where I had to turn away from the screen. The opening credit scene was just too much for me......

Demolition (2015) ... 6.0/8

... Sticking with the Donnie Darko uh, I mean Jake Gyllenhaal theme (He was also in Nocturnal Animals) I checked this one out!!!!!
Old 10-02-17, 10:52 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Madame Bovary (1949) - Melodramatic cautionary tale of adultery and the destruction it brings. Anyone who had or knew of an unfaithful spouse will relate to this one. Do they still make moralistic films like this today? Sure they do, like Unfaithful (2002) or Fatal Attraction (1987).

5/8
Old 10-04-17, 04:35 PM
All Yappi

Marathon Man (1976) ... 5.0/8
Old 10-05-17, 08:50 AM
Moderated User

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Finished Netflix series American Vandal- 6/8. Pretty funny, but also a decent story.
Old 10-05-17, 04:05 PM
All Yappi

Earthquake (1974) ... 4.5/8
Old 10-05-17, 08:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Earthquake (1974) ... 4.5/8
Oh my God, that was such a bad film. Isn't that the one with the wacked out National Guardsman with the short hair wig?
Old 10-06-17, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Kim
7/8

Outstanding version of the Kipling tale of an orphaned Irish boy's adventures in India. Amazing performance by a very young Dean Stockwell and a nice turn by Errol Flynn. The movie is quite good if not a bit controversial in how the story positively portrays adults encouraging the participation of a young boy in the Great Game - a dangerous geopolitical chess match between Britain & Russia in the 19th century.
Old 10-06-17, 09:51 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Kim
7/8

Outstanding version of the Kipling tale of an orphaned Irish boy's adventures in India. Amazing performance by a very young Dean Stockwell and a nice turn by Errol Flynn. The movie is quite good if not a bit controversial in how the story positively portrays adults encouraging the participation of a young boy in the Great Game - a dangerous geopolitical chess match between Britain & Russia in the 19th century.
Sounds like a good one. On cable or online or...?
Old 10-07-17, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Sounds like a good one. On cable or online or...?
I saw it on TCM (Turner Classic Movies). It was made back in 1950 and these "old" movies are always fun to watch because they often provide a unique insight into what the culture was thinking at the time.
Old 10-07-17, 12:28 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
With a cast of thousands...

Shot on site movies, kind of cool to see a place before they put in the McDonalds.
Old 10-07-17, 12:39 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Deadpool- 5.5/8

It had it's moments. I thought it was pretty good.
Old 10-07-17, 12:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Oh my God, that was such a bad film. Isn't that the one with the wacked out National Guardsman with the short hair wig?
yes.
Old 10-07-17, 01:19 PM
Moderated User

Wind River- 6.25/8. Hope Renner gets an Oscar nom.
Old 10-08-17, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I saw it on TCM (Turner Classic Movies). It was made back in 1950 and these "old" movies are always fun to watch because they often provide a unique insight into what the culture was thinking at the time.
Trying to track it down somewhere.

For a more recently made period piece,

Tommy's Honour: 6/8 I'm not a big fan of golf, of father-son relationship movies but I like history of things and I'd spent like half an evening in St. Andrew and good memories of it so I picked this one up. Shows a bit what Britain was doing while we were recovering from the Civil War. Doesn't have great reviews, but I thought it struck all the chords. Had it's funny bits. Had it's life is real bits. I think it'd be fun to see a match with the pros using that old equipment.
Old 10-08-17, 03:29 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Blade Runner 2049 - 7/8

Only thing that holds the film back is the length. There are quite a few scenes are too long or not really needed. Felt like a Blu-Ray director's cut version rather than theatrical.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-17, 09:06 PM
All American

Is there a more recent version?

lotr: I'll check TCM and see if it is still in their rotation. Not a movie, but I watched five of the marathon on God (Morgan Freeman) today on NatGeo. Good, but not great. Okay for a rainy day like today...
Old 10-09-17, 10:36 PM
All World

Wind River - Outstanding film. Mary Kate and Ashley's little sis is hot in this film. She is tough too and does a good job playing a young but hard nosed FBI agent. The film does a great job showing the deprivation of life on a Wyoming Indian reservation. "This is not the land of back-up. This is the land of you're on your own".

Harvey Weinstein's swan song?

7/8

Last edited by Purplemojo; 10-10-17 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 05:41 PM
All Yappi

Gold 8 Not sure where I'd deduct points. Like the one I mentioned above, Tommy's Honour, I picked it up at library mostly because I'd spent a spit of time where the movie was set. Turns out at almost the exact time it was set and not far from. The story moves along. The characters all well acted, I'm pretty sure the impression I was left of them is the one intended.

The leads worked so well together. The lead characters seemed to become good friends too soon to make sense but the rest of the movie, it held up. They were just naturally opposite compatible. Can't say much more without spoiling except it is definitely worth a sit down.

And Ron Howard's daughter is REAL easy to look at.
Old 10-17-17, 06:50 PM
Moderated User

Binged Mindhunter- 7/8. Pretty f'd up stuff, but damn it's really entertaining without being a stereotypical Crime series.
Old 10-20-17, 10:46 PM
All American

Madam Satan (1930) - Kay Johnson, Reginald Denny, Roland Young 4/8

Directed by Cecile B. DeMille. To my recollection, I had not seen a movie this old and decided to give this one a shot. While I didn't necessarily like the story, I gave it a four out of respect for the movie's period. In addition to being in black and white (of course), things I particularly noticed were the lengthy, exaggerated reactions to what was just said - which I thought may have been a "carry-over" from silent films - and the heavy makeup the men wore. To be honest, this was not a great surprise since I had seen period clips showing men with powdered faces, eyes lined and lips painted. Still... This movie did address a social issue of the time (male adultery) and solved it in the manner one would think would be the solution during that period in time (female capitulation/adjustment). This could be a discussion in itself! Rotten Tomatoes sums up my feelings about what type of film this is:

Genre:

Action & Adventure, Classics, Comedy, Drama, Musical & Performing Arts, Romance

Here is the summary from Rotten Tomatoes, which I checked to see what others thought.

Cecil B. DeMille's only musical is the tale of an urban socialite (Kay Johnson) who masks herself as the steamy 'Madame Satan' to win back her husband (Reginald Denny) from the arms of a chorus girl (Lillian Roth). In a hilarious scene involving a zeppelin about to crash, the husband rides the craft down to the earth, only jumping off (and into a Central Park pond) at the last instant. Madame Satan's other highlights include garish costumes and several dance routines directed by LeRoy Prinz.

Personally, I didn't find any scene "hilarious", but I guess you had to be there! To me, it was a weird movie, but so were the people I knew back then!!

AUDIENCE SCORE 

50% liked it

Average Rating: 3.5/5

User Ratings: 72

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: