Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-27-17, 05:19 PM
All District

hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
The future of AAU and college basketball

If this is the wrong forum for this, I am sorry. With Adidas and Nike getting raided and Under Armor coming soon, what does this do to AAU, high school and college basketball? When this is over, college basketball won't be the same. And it is going to get really bad.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-17, 06:52 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Not sure what you mean by get really bad?? Do you mean this mess that the shoe companies and others are dealing with right now? If yes, I agree that things are going to get really bad and rightfully so. These are the people that ruined a very good thing.

As for college basketball in general, I think it will take its lumps and emerge alot stronger after the turmoil has passed.

I also think that it could help the AAU circuit by getting rid of all the bad characters. Too many people have opened up a program or a tournament without any real checks and balances. The sport needs cleaned up and the people on the inside were either on the take or just didn't have enough pull to overcome all these snakes.
Old 09-27-17, 09:49 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Not sure what you mean by get really bad?? Do you mean this mess that the shoe companies and others are dealing with right now? If yes, I agree that things are going to get really bad and rightfully so. These are the people that ruined a very good thing.

As for college basketball in general, I think it will take its lumps and emerge alot stronger after the turmoil has passed.

I also think that it could help the AAU circuit by getting rid of all the bad characters. Too many people have opened up a program or a tournament without any real checks and balances. The sport needs cleaned up and the people on the inside were either on the take or just didn't have enough pull to overcome all these snakes.
By bad, I mean a lot of people will go to jail, lose jobs, college eligibility. At least one school will be looking at the possibility of the death penalty. This is going to take down a lot of people.
Old 09-28-17, 05:32 PM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
I hope this either brings major changes to AAU or kills it off. There are so many shady organizations out that need to be dismantled.
Old 09-28-17, 07:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs1717 View Post
By bad, I mean a lot of people will go to jail, lose jobs, college eligibility. At least one school will be looking at the possibility of the death penalty. This is going to take down a lot of people.
OK, definitely agree but I think it will be for the better for NCAA basketball.

I think the NCAA was glad to turn a blind eye on it and the FBI is doing them a favor even if they didn't ask for it.
Old 09-29-17, 09:13 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
OK, definitely agree but I think it will be for the better for NCAA basketball.

I think the NCAA was glad to turn a blind eye on it and the FBI is doing them a favor even if they didn't ask for it.
I agree. You will never get rid of all corruption because there will always be people that feel the reward is worth the risk but this will help clean up a lot of corruption. In the short term, college basketball is going to be hurt. But if they handle it well, it can end up being good for college basketball in the long run.
Old 09-29-17, 09:25 AM
Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
College hoops and NBA need to work together to make a change. I have seen more and more people suggesting using the baseball model where kids can go pro right out of high school but if they go to college they have to stay 3 years. This would get rid of one and done kids who seem to draw the most attention from the agents and shoe companies. The 4 year college player is not getting 100K from adidas or nike. Many of these one and done kids have no desire to be a college student....give them another path to NBA. This would not solve everything of course but I think it would help.
Old 09-29-17, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Swish View Post
College hoops and NBA need to work together to make a change. I have seen more and more people suggesting using the baseball model where kids can go pro right out of high school but if they go to college they have to stay 3 years. This would get rid of one and done kids who seem to draw the most attention from the agents and shoe companies. The 4 year college player is not getting 100K from adidas or nike. Many of these one and done kids have no desire to be a college student....give them another path to NBA. This would not solve everything of course but I think it would help.
Along those lines....could we see the development of a minor league basketball program similar to minor league baseball. Maybe not as many levels.

And yes, I realize there is a D-League (or is it something else now?) but could more of an emphasis be placed on that now?
Old 09-29-17, 02:20 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
The NBA is in great shape. They have the NCAA as a minor league system and the shoe companies paying the top college player salaries.

The NBA was probably hoping nothing would ever change.
Old 09-29-17, 04:58 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
The NBA is in great shape. They have the NCAA as a minor league system and the shoe companies paying the top college player salaries.

The NBA was probably hoping nothing would ever change.
I agree with this. There is no benefit for the NBA to have the system changed. (1) They do not want to allow kids to go straight to the NBA out of high schools because (A) there are a lot more Desagana Diops out there than LeBron James and Kobe Bryants and the MUCH prefer to see these kids play one year of college ball to separate the wheat from the chaff and (B) they LOVE to market the draft; which is a lot less entertaining when the names being called are a bunch of HS kids most fans know little to nothing about. (2) They want nothing to do with a 3 year rule for kids who go to college because they want that talent available for NBA rosters as soon as the player shows he is actually an NBA talent. (3) They want little to do with a minor league, developmental system. They have the D League where they can stash some players in case anyone on the NBA roster gets hurt; but other than that, its much more economical to have the college system in place or stash kids in Europe. The one thing that the NBA and the NCAA definitely have in common is that each writes their own rules to protect themselves rather than the athletes. Also, I don't see the NCAA jumping for joy at the sight of an expanded NBA minor league system. As that would develop, it would siphon off the talent pool to the NCAA.

Last edited by Irish60; 09-29-17 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 09:22 AM
Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
D league is called G league now as Gatorade sponsors it with the NBA teams. There is talk of each NBA team owning a G team franchise and using it as their minor league squad. I doubt it goes much further than that but I could see that in a couple years. I agree NBA is fine with current system as it keeps costs down.
Old 10-06-17, 07:37 AM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I agree with this. There is no benefit for the NBA to have the system changed. (1) They do not want to allow kids to go straight to the NBA out of high schools because (A) there are a lot more Desagana Diops out there than LeBron James and Kobe Bryants and the MUCH prefer to see these kids play one year of college ball to separate the wheat from the chaff
I have no sympathy for an NBA team that drafts Desagana Diop or a Robert Swift in the lottery, nor do I have sympathy for the prospects themselves if teams pass on them. Teams need to do a better job in scouting if the NBA is to eliminate the one and done rule.
Old 10-12-17, 10:55 AM
Varsity

coachted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Along those lines....could we see the development of a minor league basketball program similar to minor league baseball. Maybe not as many levels.

And yes, I realize there is a D-League (or is it something else now?) but could more of an emphasis be placed on that now?
A minor league system would be the way to go, just like baseball 3 or 4 levels, paid for by the NBA. But would the big time colleges accept that they would not be getting the stud players they get now. I would love to see true student athletes in the college game instead of what we currently have. But if their profits dropped the NCAA would not accept that. AAU is not the root of the problem, AAU got big because the HS basketball programs were not doing a very good job of developing and enabling players to go on to the college game.
Old 10-12-17, 11:06 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
I have no sympathy for an NBA team that drafts Desagana Diop or a Robert Swift in the lottery, nor do I have sympathy for the prospects themselves if teams pass on them. Teams need to do a better job in scouting if the NBA is to eliminate the one and done rule.
Yeah it's not like there's guys who spend 3 years in college and then get drafted into the NFL who are comparable to Desagana Diop or Robert Swift.

It should be also noted that neither Diop or Swift went to college so I'm not sure what your point is here regarding them and the one and done rule.
Old 10-12-17, 02:18 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/bl...l_investi.html

Funny quote in there from Sonny Johnson regarding Gaffney and Meechie to Louisville. As though he knew nothing about all the payola.
Old 10-18-17, 09:07 PM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Yeah it's not like there's guys who spend 3 years in college and then get drafted into the NFL who are comparable to Desagana Diop or Robert Swift.

It should be also noted that neither Diop or Swift went to college so I'm not sure what your point is here regarding them and the one and done rule.
I am in favor of getting rid of the one and done rule for a few reasons. 1) I don't fundamentally agree with limiting adults' opportunities to enter the professional workforce and 2) as a fan of college basketball, I want college basketball players to at least be interested in earning a degree. I don't fault guys that leave early if the time is right. I don't fault guys like Ben Simmons who skip class for an entire semester, and I don't fault John Calipari for taking advantage of the current system.The NBA wants to protect its product by making sure the players drafted are unlikely to be busts like a Diop, Swift, or a Kwame Brown, so they require an extra year of playing against better competition. My point is, if a team drafts a player straight out of high school and he is a bust, I have no sympathy for the team. They took a risk and it failed. No need to add a one and done rule because teams didn't scout well enough.