Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-22-17, 06:29 PM
CometCountry CometCountry is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Posts: 2,429
CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Perk my bad--I guess I was thinking of someone who made an impact in the NBA like Melo--Richardson put up 3.6 ppg after just one year at Cuse, where he averaged 13.4 on 37% shooting--definitely wasn't ready to be a one and done, but some see the $'s too quick.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-23-17, 07:10 AM
Perk Diggler Perk Diggler is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-30-14
Posts: 288
Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
@Comet that's a good point. Richardson definitely should of probably stayed at least one more year. He probably couldn't of helped his draft status much more by staying so he went to get that cash.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-23-17, 07:27 AM
Vike16 Vike16 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-08-15
Posts: 400
Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballlife89 View Post
I'm going to say this now... If the Princeton roster isn't dominant Idk what is....

Bazely had an NBA prospect summer
Hunter killed the summer circuit
O'neal was a dominant big man at every tournament
Pierce will be the best gmc utility player
Arron ward is a player that no one is talking about either


This squad is deep...has a player who will be in the NBA in 2 years
A big man that the gmc can't handle
And the best shooter in the gmc...hunter 1, oh and the 2nd best shooter is bazely.

Watch out gmc. I would be highly surprised if Princeton lost 1 gmc game. Moeller is the only close competition in southern ohio
Bazley definitely has the potential to be one and done. He had a great summer like he did last summer. But let's pump the brakes on him being in the NBA in 2 years. He avg. 10 ppg last season and that doesn't scream one and done or NBA in 2 years. Let's wait and see what he does his senior year

To me Princeton is hands down the #1 team in the tri-state area with Moeller being a very close #2.

Potential line-up could be

Bazley 6'9 senior
Hunter 6'4 senior
Pierce 6'4 senior
Hunter 6'5 or 6'6 sophomore
O'Neal 6'7 senior
Bench
Ward 6'7 sophomore
Crawford 6'1 sophomore
Davis 6'0 sophomore
Freeman 5'8 senior
Hill 5'8 senior
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-23-17, 01:33 PM
bigblue75 bigblue75 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-16-08
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,524
bigblue75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
First time poster letting us all "know what to expect" from the Vikes in 17-18--Bazely will not be in the NBA in 2 years--he will stand around in a 2-3 zone at Syracuse--other than Melo Anthony Syracuse players stay 4 years--most of us do agree Princeton is the team to beat in the GMC this year
Syracuse produces NBA talent. Not saying Bazely will leave early, but it's not uncommon at Syracuse. I probably missed a few as well, just some UC killers I can remember from their time in the Big East.

Dion Waiters
Tyler Ennis
Michael Carter-Williams
Fab Melo
Wes Johnson
Jonny Flynn
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-23-17, 02:12 PM
CometCountry CometCountry is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Posts: 2,429
CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue75 View Post
Syracuse produces NBA talent. Not saying Bazely will leave early, but it's not uncommon at Syracuse. I probably missed a few as well, just some UC killers I can remember from their time in the Big East.

Dion Waiters-- 2 years at SU and 6 yrs pros-- 13.2 ppg in pros
Tyler Ennis-- 1 year at SU and 5 yrs pros--4.2 ppg in pros
Michael Carter-Williams-- 2 years at SU and 5 yrs pros--13.0 ppg in pros
Fab Melo--2 years at SU and 6 games pros and done--1.2 ppg in pros
Wes Johnson--3 years at ISU/SU and 7 yrs pros--7.5 ppg pros
Jonny Flynn2 years at SU and 3 yrs pros and done--9.2 ppg in pros
Good list Blue--no question 'Cuse sends kids to the pros--one of those guys (Johnson) put in 3 years in college and is still having a very successful pro career. I'm hoping Bazely is a 3 or 4 year guy and then has a successful NBA career--not flame out like some in the list have previously by going too soon.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-23-17, 10:07 PM
bballlife89 bballlife89 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-17-17
Posts: 12
bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
Bazely just moved to #9 overall... trust me when I tell you he is a one and done.

Princeton is the dominant team in the gmc

Last edited by bballlife89; 08-24-17 at 06:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-24-17, 06:59 PM
Eagles123 Eagles123 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-11-16
Posts: 151
Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballlife89 View Post
Bazely just moved to #9 overall... trust me when I tell you he is a one and done.

Princeton is the dominant team in the gmc
No way. He is not that type of player. Just because you are his boy and his jerry Maguire doesn't make it so. Dude is skinny and weak. No way he is ready in two years. Go back to evaluating junior high ball. If he's one and done then my opinion if the NBA just went in the tank. Ill bet you 10000 hes not one and done. Get a grip.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-24-17, 07:01 PM
Eagles123 Eagles123 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-11-16
Posts: 151
Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballlife89 View Post
Bazely just moved to #9 overall... trust me when I tell you he is a one and done.

Princeton is the dominant team in the gmc
Dumbest post ever.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-24-17, 07:25 PM
Eagles123 Eagles123 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-11-16
Posts: 151
Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballlife89 View Post
Bazely just moved to #9 overall... trust me when I tell you he is a one and done.

Princeton is the dominant team in the gmc
Dude will be lucky to get off the bench his first year. I think yappi should do something to vet its posters so we don't have to listen to such ignorance.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-24-17, 08:03 PM
bballlife89 bballlife89 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-17-17
Posts: 12
bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
To each his own.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-25-17, 06:56 AM
oxat622 oxat622 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-05
Location: Oakley
Posts: 1,384
oxat622
Princeton has forwards and bigs for days, but I'll be more convinced when they finally get a point guard to emerge. Otherwise, a 2-3 zone will fluster them, as has been the case for years.

There's no reason for a guy with Bazley's tools to only average 10 ppg, even in a league like the GMC. When you're 6'9'' with handles and range, you should be double that, minimum. I'm optimistic because his summer resume is outstanding. Again, a good point guard would really help.

Does anyone see a reason why Hunter doesn't have a D-1 offer yet? From what I can tell, he has only a couple D-2 offers and they're not even Ohio schools. Do I think he's MAC level good? Maybe not, but I'm sure he could fit in at a school like NKU, IPFW, Niagara, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-25-17, 08:05 AM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,072
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
Princeton has forwards and bigs for days, but I'll be more convinced when they finally get a point guard to emerge. Otherwise, a 2-3 zone will fluster them, as has been the case for years.

There's no reason for a guy with Bazley's tools to only average 10 ppg, even in a league like the GMC. When you're 6'9'' with handles and range, you should be double that, minimum. I'm optimistic because his summer resume is outstanding. Again, a good point guard would really help.

Does anyone see a reason why Hunter doesn't have a D-1 offer yet? From what I can tell, he has only a couple D-2 offers and they're not even Ohio schools. Do I think he's MAC level good? Maybe not, but I'm sure he could fit in at a school like NKU, IPFW, Niagara, etc.
When you say years how many you talking about? Because Princeton has had the best pure point guard I've seen in the GMC, maybe even the city, since I moved to Cincinnati in 2010. The Jordan kid. And if memory serves me correctly, the kid that took over the point after him was pretty damn good too. In my opinion, I would say that during this decade Princeton would be the one GMC team that consistently has good guard play. The last year or 2 it's just been bleh though.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-25-17, 10:33 AM
bballlife89 bballlife89 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-17-17
Posts: 12
bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
Bazely Hunter pierce and Crawford can all handle the ball. Oneal might have the best handles for a big in the gmc. Hill and davis off the bench can handle as well.

This is the biggest match up problem I've seen in the gmc in a long time! A traditional pg. Isn't needed with this group
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-25-17, 11:10 AM
vikes 87 vikes 87 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Posts: 337
vikes 87 is on a distinguished road
Let Hunter run the point, ill make bold statement that he is going to be GMC Player of the year.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-25-17, 11:29 AM
oxat622 oxat622 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-05
Location: Oakley
Posts: 1,384
oxat622
Dorian Jordan was good. Since then, no one has commanded the position. When I say they need good point guard play, I'm not referring to ball handling as much as I'm referring to distributing. They need someone who can run the offense, put the ball in the right spots, knows when to shoot vs. pass, etc. Since about 2013, every time I've seen them lose, the other team has sat back in a 2-3 zone and Princeton is never able to consistently find good shots. Even Colerain did this to them last year, and was able to beat Princeton with Bazley.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-25-17, 11:39 AM
Vike16 Vike16 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-08-15
Posts: 400
Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Crawford and Davis was only freshman playing varsity. They are both guards who can handle the rock. I would rather see Hunter or Bazley run the point as starters and Crawford and Davis off the bench. Freeman gave it his all last year, but he is built more like a football player

I think Bazley should run the point because of his size. He can cause all kind of match up issues. Plus Hunter is your best shooter maybe the best shooter in the GMC
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-25-17, 11:46 AM
bballlife89 bballlife89 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-17-17
Posts: 12
bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
Hunter will win gmc poy if bazely doesn't average 20 and 15.

And the skill of this team might be a tad better than the 09 state team
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-25-17, 11:49 AM
bballlife89 bballlife89 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-17-17
Posts: 12
bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
Hunter may even be the best shooter in the city. Bazely can shoot just as well, most just haven't seen it, hopefully he shoots more this year.

Not sure what team can throw 5 guys on the court and match up 1-5.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-25-17, 11:53 AM
Vike16 Vike16 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-08-15
Posts: 400
Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
Princeton has forwards and bigs for days, but I'll be more convinced when they finally get a point guard to emerge. Otherwise, a 2-3 zone will fluster them, as has been the case for years.

There's no reason for a guy with Bazley's tools to only average 10 ppg, even in a league like the GMC. When you're 6'9'' with handles and range, you should be double that, minimum. I'm optimistic because his summer resume is outstanding. Again, a good point guard would really help.

Does anyone see a reason why Hunter doesn't have a D-1 offer yet? From what I can tell, he has only a couple D-2 offers and they're not even Ohio schools. Do I think he's MAC level good? Maybe not, but I'm sure he could fit in at a school like NKU, IPFW, Niagara, etc.
Makes no sense to me. He avg 17 pts per game, shot very well from 3 and had a good summer. I think he will start getting some offers from some mid majors during the season. This blowing smoke but UC can use some shooters
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-25-17, 11:57 AM
oxat622 oxat622 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-05
Location: Oakley
Posts: 1,384
oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballlife89 View Post
Hunter will win gmc poy if bazely doesn't average 20 and 15.

And the skill of this team might be a tad better than the 09 state team
Clearly the most talented since then. Coaching weighs hugely in favor of the 09 team since that's a question mark for now. 09 team had a pure point guard
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-29-17, 10:18 AM
JBaller JBaller is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-08-03
Posts: 3,994
JBaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Updated:
#1-Princeton
#2-East
#3-Mason
#4-Hamilton
#5-Colerain
#6-Sycamore
#7-Oak Hills
#8-Fairfield
#9-West
#10-Middletown
There is no dominant team and many inexperienced/below average GMC teams.
Princeton should be the top team based on talent, but I don't think they will. They didn't even come close to having any semblance of a team identity or team concept of basketball last year. East returns Jarrett Cox and is well-coached, they're my pick for #1. Princeton will certainly be there based on talent, and Mason will be as well with Pedelty and Knue returning with good coaching. Oak Hills will take a slight step back but should still be head and shoulders above everybody else because of their ability to D it up. Hamilton returns a few good players, but they're not well-coached, but are still #5 because everybody else is that bad. #6 and #7 will be some combination of West and Fairfield. Fairfield returns a decent amount of talent but it's hard to see them being any different than last year's team. West had their worst team in school history last season, but they played a lot of sophomores and I think Rooks is a good coach. Middletown gets my nod for #8 just based on their tradition and the fact that some talent always seems to show up. Sycamore should at least be better than Colerain, but we won't be good. Colerain is in the basement until they prove they can get out of it. They've finished last or tied for last 6/7 years.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-29-17, 10:21 AM
JBaller JBaller is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-08-03
Posts: 3,994
JBaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
Clearly the most talented since then. Coaching weighs hugely in favor of the 09 team since that's a question mark for now. 09 team had a pure point guard
'09 team was well-balanced and had a really good coach in Andrews and really good motivation playing to honor Coach Brewer. Davis attacked in transition from PG, Williams was the best shooter in the area, Sibert a tremendous all-around player, Horne was good as an outside-in big, and Johnson could bang inside. Barely lost against one of the better teams the state has ever seen in the championship, Columbus Northland, a team that featured Jared Sullinger and Trey Burke.

Also, Sibert >>>> Bazely.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-29-17, 06:09 PM
bballlife89 bballlife89 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-17-17
Posts: 12
bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
Sibert and bazely aren't really comparable players. Having seen both play a lot, I'm not sure which i would take to win a game if I had to pick one. Everyone is stuck on bazelys gmc showing last year, but not many saw his summer game this year vs the top players in the country. I wouldn't be surprised if he went the whole season with no games under 20pts and 10rbs.

I agree with east having good coaching, and Cox is a great player, but to think cox and a good coach is a better option than bazely Hunter pierce and oneal is a stretch. East doesn't seem to have the firepower this year. I'm thinking Princeton mason then a close race from east Hamilton and oak hills. Colerain should stay last, but I'm feeling optimistic about sycamore and Fairfield being up, with Middletown and west left

I'd love to see a close race for the top, I'm thinking it will be a close one with mason and Princeton. Only time will tell.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-29-17, 06:38 PM
Kballer Kballer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 1,551
Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaller View Post
Princeton should be the top team based on talent, but I don't think they will. They didn't even come close to having any semblance of a team identity or team concept of basketball last year. East returns Jarrett Cox and is well-coached, they're my pick for #1. Princeton will certainly be there based on talent, and Mason will be as well with Pedelty and Knue returning with good coaching. Oak Hills will take a slight step back but should still be head and shoulders above everybody else because of their ability to D it up. Hamilton returns a few good players, but they're not well-coached, but are still #5 because everybody else is that bad. #6 and #7 will be some combination of West and Fairfield. Fairfield returns a decent amount of talent but it's hard to see them being any different than last year's team. West had their worst team in school history last season, but they played a lot of sophomores and I think Rooks is a good coach. Middletown gets my nod for #8 just based on their tradition and the fact that some talent always seems to show up. Sycamore should at least be better than Colerain, but we won't be good. Colerain is in the basement until they prove they can get out of it. They've finished last or tied for last 6/7 years.
Wests top returning scorer isn't returning- junior Wieland is enrolled at East. He was a bright spot in an otherwise rec level sophomore class.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-29-17, 09:28 PM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,323
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
On paper Princeton is #1 and East is #2. The rest of the league has multiple players that haven't performed or played at the Varsity level. Mason and Oak Hills are well coached, as is East, not sure about West, Middletown, or Fairfield. Sycamore and Princeton have rookies and never thought the coach at Hamilton was beyond average. I have no idea about Colerain because I haven't bothered to watch them play in 3 years. Overall Princeton has superior talent but there are questions. I see Princeton, East, and Mason as top three with the rest of the league trying to be .500 teams and many close but not so great games. If you go to the west side to watch OH be prepared for a 31-27 thriller. If you go to Colerain, Middletown, or West you are bored. Not many marquee games this year.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-30-17, 01:33 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,072
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Wests top returning scorer isn't returning- junior Wieland is enrolled at East. He was a bright spot in an otherwise rec level sophomore class.
Rec level? Man, is it really that bad over there? I haven't really followed the current crew of kids over there.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-30-17, 03:23 PM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,323
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Rec level? Man, is it really that bad over there? I haven't really followed the current crew of kids over there.
Their best player left, I saw them twice last year and was surprised by lack of talent. How can the football team have as much talent as anyone in the GMC and basketball be at the other end?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-30-17, 07:09 PM
Kballer Kballer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 1,551
Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Rec level? Man, is it really that bad over there? I haven't really followed the current crew of kids over there.
That came out a little harsh, but yes- the drop off in talent is pretty bad. Started towards the end of the previous coaches tenure- out of 12 kids from one of the Jr high teams 6 left to go to GCL schools or East. It has only gotten worse and none of the super athletic football players cross over anymore and play both (a trend not limited to just West).
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-30-17, 10:53 PM
JBaller JBaller is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-08-03
Posts: 3,994
JBaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
That came out a little harsh, but yes- the drop off in talent is pretty bad. Started towards the end of the previous coaches tenure- out of 12 kids from one of the Jr high teams 6 left to go to GCL schools or East. It has only gotten worse and none of the super athletic football players cross over anymore and play both (a trend not limited to just West).
The uptick in quality of GMC football the last 10 years has seen a corresponding downturn in basketball. Fewer and fewer football players are playing hoops in the GMC because the GMC is now recruited very hard by many college football programs. Combine that with generally poor quality coaching in the league in basketball (Larry Allen, Mike Mueller, and Wally Vickers aren't walking through that door either), and you get situations where the sophomore leading scorer at Sycamore will transfer to Moeller for his final two years to average 2 ppg.

Hamilton and Middletown are down, Princeton isn't what they were, and even Lakota/Lakota West has fallen off hard.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-31-17, 06:04 PM
bballlife89 bballlife89 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-17-17
Posts: 12
bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
It doesn't help Gcl schools in players ears at the 8th grade level either.
I'm not sure I would blame coaching in the gmc. Mason east oak hills are solid, sycamores new coach should do well, Princeton's new coach is a former d1 player and coached a little college ball as Well as coaching big summer ball. Hamilton and Middletown is iffy. Colerain, not sure who is there still but last year the coach left during the blowout play off game vs the Vikings. Other than a few teams coaching isn't bad.

The era of 20 year coaches are probably over now that parents complain so much any chance they get.

Also I highly doubt ,even the lack of talent, that we will have any team average less than 30pts a game this year.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OFFICIAL GMC 2017 Thread AJJ5 Football 1231 11-12-17 11:28 AM
2017 fall early outlook werns63 Girls Soccer 149 11-09-17 11:03 AM
V2S Power Ratings SWO/MVA 2016/2017 vamp2syd Boys Basketball 13 06-26-17 03:29 PM
Who wins the GMC baseball title? 93 red ls Baseball 29 05-08-17 11:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz