Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-10-17, 08:44 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Indiana is a blue blood college basketball program. They got Archie Miller, not Billy Donovan. Sometimes the timing isn't right. The timing was right for Holtmann. It's a good hire.
Indiana did not want to pay the big bucks either. This is why the BIG has not won a national title in bball since 2000, they don't want to pay the big dollars to lure top notch coaches.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-17, 08:48 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I don't think anybody with a functioning brain would try to argue them as being any better than third with the current state of the program. Over the last few years you could argue Dayton has also been better.
How many other programs in the state have been to two final four's in the last decade including a national championship game.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 06-10-17 at 09:02 AM..
Old 06-10-17, 09:01 AM
All American

Quote:
There's no way they would have even considered giving Billy D 6-7 million when they're going to still be paying Thad 3 million a year for the next three years. Donovan supposedly wants around 8 million to come back to the college game. There's also no way that the basketball coach would ever make more than a highly successful football coach at OSU, so Urban would have to get a raise up to 8 million or more.
I am all for it, that is why I like OSU football so much, Meyer has two former head college football coaches on his staff ( Schiano and Wilson ) he will do whatever it takes ( rule wise ) to win and the administration supports him 100 %. Why not the same attitude towards bball, OSU has the resources use them and get the best coaches money can buy.
Old 06-10-17, 09:05 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Gene Smith did what was needed in a week,I think he did very well and the program is in good hands.
Old 06-10-17, 10:21 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Gene Smith did what was needed in a week,I think he did very well and the program is in good hands.
Really? How difficult is it to hire a coach from Butler when you have the resources Ohio State has. This is the same Gene Smith who instead of taking a bowl ban Luke Fickle's only year ( 6-6 record ) cost OSU a chance to play for a national championship Urban Meyer's 1st year when OSU went undefeated because NCAA put a bowl ban on OSU that season. Which could have been avoided if Smith would have taken the bowl ban the previous year. Yeah he is a heck of an AD.
Old 06-10-17, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
How many other programs in the state have been to two final four's in the last decade including a national championship game.
True, but it's been a while. Over the last 3-4 years the program has slid rapidly. X and UC are clearly better at the moment, and probably will be clearly better the next two years. The good news is Holtmann appears to be a solid recruiter and he will have a lot of scholarships to play with from the beginning.
Old 06-10-17, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I am all for it, that is why I like OSU football so much, Meyer has two former head college football coaches on his staff ( Schiano and Wilson ) he will do whatever it takes ( rule wise ) to win and the administration supports him 100 %. Why not the same attitude towards bball, OSU has the resources use them and get the best coaches money can buy.
I won't argue that they don't have the resources to do more with basketball, but it would require a massive increase in the budget. I can't remember where I read it, but essentially, hiring Donovan at the alleged asking price plus still paying Thad would have eclipsed last year's entire budget for the men's basketball program.
Old 06-10-17, 11:29 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How soon people forget. This is what amazes me about some fans...the "Fire Matta! What has he done lately?" mentality. Matta's OSU track record was outstanding (one of the best ever for an OSU coach), with only a couple years being sub-par. Maybe he was totally losing his touch the last two years, IDK, but it will be hard for any new coach to duplicate his success. Be careful what you ask for. Time will tell.
Old 06-10-17, 11:38 AM
All World

bluesteel4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I heard he will try to bring Kyle Young with him, but he would have to sit out a year.
Will not have to sit out as long as Butler releases him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3867.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1663  
Old 06-10-17, 01:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Indiana is a blue blood college basketball program. They got Archie Miller, not Billy Donovan. Sometimes the timing isn't right. The timing was right for Holtmann. It's a good hire.
OSU has been to 10 final fours which is tied with Louisville for 5th most by any school ( actually 11 but one was vacated for NCAA sanctions ). Which is more than either Indiana or Michigan St. With the right coach and I think Matta was the right coach, however his back problems I believe really hindered his ability to recruit the last several years, a coach can win and win big at OSU. Of Ohio teams Cincinnati has been to 6 final 4's, UD one and that's it. Maybe OSU is not a blueblood in bball but sure is a close relative.
Old 06-11-17, 10:09 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't think anybody with a functioning brain would try to argue them as being any better than third with the current state of the program. Over the last few years you could argue Dayton has also been better.
+1 Still, I'd like to see tOSU get back to being a top competitor in the B1G.
Old 06-13-17, 06:17 AM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agreed. Quite frankly, Holtmann might have still been the choice if Thad was fired back when Miller was still available. We'll never know, and I was an Archie fan, but I am thrilled to get Holtmann. Of course, Holtmann and Miller are not tied at the hip, and will be measured against each other for the rest of their time at OSU and IU.
I like him better then Archie. I think the recruiting will get better and hopefully he can pull some recruits he already has a relationship with from Butler. The good thing is it will be very easy to see out of these 2 coaches who recruits better and which program is the better of the two.
Old 06-13-17, 06:22 AM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OK City lost Durant last season and Westbrook will be a free agent after next season don't think Donovan is interested in playing 2nd fiddle to Golden State for the next several years. Reportedly Donovan is interested in coming back to the college game but it is going to cost someone serious dollars to sign him. OSU wasn't willing to ante up. Meyer makes over 6 mil a year at OSU, Holtmann reportedly 3 mil a year that's all you need to know what OSU thinks about bball compared to football.
He may be interested in coming back, but he was never going to Ohio State know matter how much money they gave him. He can wait for a better program and is making great money right now. Ohio State needed a coach familar with the recruiting in Ohio and Midwest and they definitely found one that excels at that.
Old 06-15-17, 09:04 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170...new-assistants

Quote:
Funderburk suspended

Six days after taking the Ohio State job, Holtmann made his first public disciplinary decision by suspending redshirt freshman Derek Funderburk indefinitely for a “failure to meet team expectations.”

Including Funderburk, the Buckeyes have nine recruited scholarship players on the roster for the 2017-18 season plus former walk-on Joey Lane. A four-star prospect who hails from Lakewood, Ohio, Funderburk played his senior season at Hargrave Military Academy before redshirting for Ohio State last season.
Old 06-15-17, 10:26 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
If that's the criteria, expect more suspensions.
Old 06-16-17, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
What are team expectations anyway? Do they differ from coach to coach or is it a universal set a rules that most teams are expected to follow? Can't imagine a player messing up within a week of getting a new coach.
Old 06-16-17, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
What are team expectations anyway? Do they differ from coach to coach or is it a universal set a rules that most teams are expected to follow? Can't imagine a player messing up within a week of getting a new coach.
Grades? Conditioning? Those are two possibilities that vary in tolerance from coach to coach. Pretty sure Thad had a rep for soft conditioning.
Old 06-16-17, 11:31 AM
All World

I think we'll be seeing some fine athletes that want to play basketball and get a college education,looking forward to next season.
Old 06-16-17, 01:25 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Let's face it: this is a 13th or 14th place team in the Big Ten. If I'm coaching, I'm going to finish 13th/14th place with guys that do things MY way. Sounds like Fumderburk wants to do things HIS way. Hopefully Tate, Bates-Diop, et al are with Holtmann's program
Old 06-16-17, 01:42 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
lol you have no idea why he was suspended
Old 06-19-17, 10:19 AM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
I was wondering something similar. I wonder if Funderburk was doing things that Thad let him "get away with," and now "the rules" are more strict.
Old 06-19-17, 12:31 PM
All World

He's not his type of player,just get tough and their gone...BAM!
Old 06-19-17, 05:16 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Great news, it looks like Kyle Young has changed his commitment from Butler to Ohio State.
Old 06-19-17, 07:19 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Yup

https://twitter.com/kyleyoung_35/sta...19493620051969
Old 06-23-17, 04:57 PM
Yappi Supporter

On the other hand, Dane Goodwin de-committed and re-opened his recruiting to keep his options open.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...s-options-open
Old 06-28-17, 07:29 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
^^^Id be really surprised if Goodwin winds up at Villanova over Ohio State^^^
Old 06-28-17, 11:19 AM
All World

The new coach has a clean slate,he has five young men to find that want to play for him and tOSU...BAM!
Old 06-30-17, 08:17 PM
All Yappi

Funderburk and Beverly are gone. Ohio State in all likelihood will only have eight scholarship players this year.

Looks like Holtmann is cleaning house to bring in his own guys while also possibly setting the bar on expectations. As others have said, probably good choices considering this team is probably going to be in the gutter of the Big Ten this year.

At least Young and Wesson are in the fold, and they'll have 7-8 scholarships available for next year depending on if Bates-Diop is renewed/Doesn't leave as a grad transfer. The first two years of the Holtmann era are going to be brutally bad unless a few lottery picks are a part of the upcoming recruiting class.
Old 07-01-17, 10:45 AM
All World

He has to find a couple tough JC players to help out the first year or two.
Old 07-01-17, 03:47 PM
All Yappi

The changing of the guard unfortunately was a bit too late for him to really be able to get any high-end JUCO or grad transfer players this year. This year is pretty much going to be what it is. Nine man roster including Young, Wesson and a walk-on. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they finished better than 13th or 14th in the BIG.