Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-21-17, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I think a strict adherence to all the rules is dumb if you're just playing for fun with your buddies. I really don't see any issue with someone tossing their ball underhanded on a drop, or spinning their ball around without marking it to line up a putt, etc.
Come on, I highly doubt we are talking about those types of infractions. Some of my favs that I see when playing with others: Mulligans, Improving the lie of the ball (especially in the rough), Gimmes, Not hitting a provisional when a ball is clearly OB then just throwing one down where it went OB.
Old 08-21-17, 03:06 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Come on, I highly doubt we are talking about those types of infractions. Some of my favs that I see when playing with others: Mulligans, Improving the lie of the ball (especially in the rough), Gimmes, Not hitting a provisional when a ball is clearly OB then just throwing one down where it went OB.
I thought that was exactly what people were talking about (see Ranch's post). I wouldn't have a problem with someone I'm playing with doing any of those things you listed. I mean, who has a problem with gimmes? I don't even want to ask where you stand on breakfast balls.
Old 08-21-17, 05:06 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I think a strict adherence to all the rules is dumb if you're just playing for fun with your buddies. I really don't see any issue with someone tossing their ball underhanded on a drop, or spinning their ball around without marking it to line up a putt, etc.
Tyler, since I've played so much competitive golf, when I play for fun I still play as if I'm in a tournament. I'm just used to it. Now a 1 inch putt I just pick up, but everything else I play full bore. Out of bounds, no mulligans, no moving the ball. I'm used to it, its how I play most of the time. But whoever I am playing with, I don't care what they do. I'm just out to have fun, I am usually the player telling them to pick up its good, hit another one, just drop a ball. Its because 99% of the time I am a better golfer than they are, and I'm just trying to make their experience a good one. The problem with doing this is the aftermath, the "score guys". Even with all the "breaks" I give my playing partners, I still score better than they do. Its the times that I don't where it causes problems. I played with a threesome for years, and we played one time and we went into the clubhouse for lunch, and they made a huge deal, all of them, about "beating me". And I let them have their moment, and they just wouldn't let up. On and on. And I just smiled and said good for you over and over again, very nicely. And they started to crow about how good they were and they were going to beat me again. And so finally I said to them you know I shot an 83 today, did you see me hit any balls out of bounds or move my ball or take a mulligan or give myself putts? And they got real silent and stared at me. And they piped in well I shot a 77, I shot a 79, I shot an 81. And its the first time we've broken 80. And I stopped. And proceeded to review their rounds. Especially the guy who shot the 77. I said, Jeff, you never found your ball on #6, remember you had hit it out of bounds, I was helping you find your lost ball. You dropped right there next to my ball, If you were keeping score correctly, you would have gone back to the tee and hit your 3rd shot. You dropped, hit over the green, and then I saw you chip up and pick up your ball from about 15 feet out. And you put down a 4 on the card. You hit a mulligan at 1 and 10. You hit into a lake at #13 and didn't take a penalty stroke or strokes, you've been foot wedging your ball all day, I think I gave you at least 5 gimmes from 3, 4 feet away on the green. IF you had counted your score you would have had a 90, maybe. Which is a good score for you. But don't go telling everyone you shot a 77. That applies to you Dan and Pastor Rick (yes, the other guy was a Church Pastor). We finished our meal in silence. Then they took off. We have never played golf again. I see them now and again at some fun golf events, telling me they are shooting in the 70's all the time. I just go "great". You're only hurting yourself when you play like that. I've played in more events where I'm the 9 at the time, with guys who claim they are "6" at their club, or a 10 with no USGA handicap, and they can't break 90, or they freeze up and shoot 98. And I'll shoot a 75 and they think I'm great, where I am just a decent amateur golfer, nothing more. Moral I guess is to just keep it real and have fun.
Old 08-21-17, 05:09 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
RanchHandy
Old 08-21-17, 05:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
RanchHandy
And I'm doing it without tatoos Winston
Old 08-21-17, 05:42 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
I've played in some competitive leagues for the last 35 years, and there are always the "rules" guys. Clubs in the bag is one. Had a player who had an extra warm up swing club in his bag and his opponent called him out for a 2 stroke penalty for having more than 14 clubs in the bag. I hit Krank Drivers till about 5 years ago, and I'd be playing in a tourney, and either in the staging area or with whoever I was playing with, I'd be asked if the Drivers I used were legal. I was in a match play round on the 17th hole, ready to close out my opponent, and he asked me to move my ball mark. Which was nowhere near his putting line. Then he caused a distraction after he putted, and I then forgot to remark my ball, and as soon as I made contact he called a 2 stroke penalty on me. I had to hold myself back from btlsooh. I won the next hole, and he wanted to shake my hand, and I told him tgfh. I've had penalties called on me for having a corner of a laid club in a trap, for getting down on one knee to hit a shot, for not being behind a tee marker (there was only one marker). One time in match play I just missed a putt by an inch, and thinking that it was a given, swatted my ball away, and was told the putt had not been conceded. I've been scorecard disqualified in a tournament for not having the attest signature on the scorecard. I'm getting older and don't usually enjoy playing with people I don't know anymore. Much rather play with people I like, in a foursome.
Only the low IQ types continually get called out on golf rules.
Old 08-21-17, 05:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
Tyler, since I've played so much competitive golf, when I play for fun I still play as if I'm in a tournament. I'm just used to it. Now a 1 inch putt I just pick up, but everything else I play full bore. Out of bounds, no mulligans, no moving the ball. I'm used to it, its how I play most of the time. But whoever I am playing with, I don't care what they do. I'm just out to have fun, I am usually the player telling them to pick up its good, hit another one, just drop a ball. Its because 99% of the time I am a better golfer than they are, and I'm just trying to make their experience a good one. The problem with doing this is the aftermath, the "score guys". Even with all the "breaks" I give my playing partners, I still score better than they do. Its the times that I don't where it causes problems. I played with a threesome for years, and we played one time and we went into the clubhouse for lunch, and they made a huge deal, all of them, about "beating me". And I let them have their moment, and they just wouldn't let up. On and on. And I just smiled and said good for you over and over again, very nicely. And they started to crow about how good they were and they were going to beat me again. And so finally I said to them you know I shot an 83 today, did you see me hit any balls out of bounds or move my ball or take a mulligan or give myself putts? And they got real silent and stared at me. And they piped in well I shot a 77, I shot a 79, I shot an 81. And its the first time we've broken 80. And I stopped. And proceeded to review their rounds. Especially the guy who shot the 77. I said, Jeff, you never found your ball on #6, remember you had hit it out of bounds, I was helping you find your lost ball. You dropped right there next to my ball, If you were keeping score correctly, you would have gone back to the tee and hit your 3rd shot. You dropped, hit over the green, and then I saw you chip up and pick up your ball from about 15 feet out. And you put down a 4 on the card. You hit a mulligan at 1 and 10. You hit into a lake at #13 and didn't take a penalty stroke or strokes, you've been foot wedging your ball all day, I think I gave you at least 5 gimmes from 3, 4 feet away on the green. IF you had counted your score you would have had a 90, maybe. Which is a good score for you. But don't go telling everyone you shot a 77. That applies to you Dan and Pastor Rick (yes, the other guy was a Church Pastor). We finished our meal in silence. Then they took off. We have never played golf again. I see them now and again at some fun golf events, telling me they are shooting in the 70's all the time. I just go "great". You're only hurting yourself when you play like that. I've played in more events where I'm the 9 at the time, with guys who claim they are "6" at their club, or a 10 with no USGA handicap, and they can't break 90, or they freeze up and shoot 98. And I'll shoot a 75 and they think I'm great, where I am just a decent amateur golfer, nothing more. Moral I guess is to just keep it real and have fun.
So you get called out for rules violations in tourneys and can't take an intense round of "we beat you and we're going to beat you again" razzing from Dan and Paster Rick. Sounds about right.
Old 09-08-17, 11:01 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone use the 18birdies app this summer? I started messing with it at the beginning of our league and I really like it. GPS is handy on it, as well.

After 17 rounds, I'm a 26HDCP
Old 09-09-17, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

INDIANS_RULE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to INDIANS_RULE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
Anyone use the 18birdies app this summer? I started messing with it at the beginning of our league and I really like it. GPS is handy on it, as well.

I use it for every round I play. I don't use it for the GPS, I have a garmin for that but I keep my score and some stats on it.
Old 09-26-17, 04:18 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
9 hole Lakeview Golf Club in Hartville was auctioned off today.

Haven't played there in a long time but it's sad to see another one go.
Old 09-26-17, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

Played in a outing at Shaker Heights Country Club yesterday and had a great day; made a lot of great shots. Best was after years of playing this course I finally drove the 280 yard short par 4 10th hole green for a chance at Eagle. Unfortunately I missed the putt

Old 09-26-17, 05:56 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Played in a outing at Shaker Heights Country Club yesterday and had a great day; made a lot of great shots. Best was after years of playing this course I finally drove the 280 yard short par 4 10th hole green for a chance at Eagle. Unfortunately I missed the putt

NIce pic. I like the long grass to the left of the tee box and the mound on the right side. Don't hit a worm burner here! And, I notice the "guard traps" that surely beckon that little white ball. ^ C'est dommage.
Old 09-27-17, 08:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
NIce pic. I like the long grass to the left of the tee box and the mound on the right side. Don't hit a worm burner here! And, I notice the "guard traps" that surely beckon that little white ball. ^ C'est dommage.
I think drivable par 4s are some of the coolest holes in golf and make for interesting strategy. The shape of the 10th at Shaker requires a fade yet to get the power needed a draw is the probably the way to go, its all about risk/reward.
Old 09-27-17, 09:56 AM
All Region

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Almost to Florida. Playing free golf for the next 4 days.
Old 09-27-17, 09:57 AM
All Region

Quote:

Per 9?! Or 18?
Old 09-27-17, 10:51 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Handicaps are always per 18 holes.
Old 09-28-17, 06:04 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Handicaps are always per 18 holes.
Not in golf leagues
Old 09-28-17, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Not in golf leagues
This is the handicap from the 18birdies app. It's for 18 holes.
Old 09-28-17, 11:22 AM
All Region

Quote:
This is the handicap from the 18birdies app. It's for 18 holes.
The good new for you is that you are pretty much the average golfer. Maybe slightly better. 100 is the average score for amateurs .
Old 09-28-17, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

Ted is right. Good post Ted!
Old 09-28-17, 11:46 AM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think drivable par 4s are some of the coolest holes in golf and make for interesting strategy. The shape of the 10th at Shaker requires a fade yet to get the power needed a draw is the probably the way to go, its all about risk/reward.
Absolutely. Humbling. Sounds like starting the ball down the right side and letting the draw direct it between the sand traps to the green is the plan. That would work for me as I naturally draw the ball. I can think of several short par 4s that are real pains. Water, dime greens, table-top greens. Ain't it fun!
Old 10-04-17, 05:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

Great pic, thanks. Great thing about most Ohio golf courses, the trees and green grass and the cool views

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: