Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-04-17, 02:47 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...people watch to much tv, too many practice swings, too many practice putts, to much posing....instead they need to learn golf etiquette (rake traps, repair divots, be aware of the golfers behind you, and for God's sake----PLAY READY GOLF!!!!!
We see a LOT of unraked traps and even more unfixed divots on the green.

I actually saw a guy on #1 this past weekend, laying on his stomach, holding up his putter, trying to see the break. As we watched from #3 green, he blew his putt past the hole. We laughed like hell. It made our day.
Old 08-04-17, 03:24 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111411 View Post
Where has golf etiquette and common sense gone? I'm betting the young coach will never cut anyone else off in the near future.
While I'm not defending the coach at all, it sounds like Angryman could use a few etiquette lessons himself. 'Getting in the face of' the coach, presumably in front of players? There are ways to behave on a golf course - this isn't one of them.
Old 08-10-17, 02:11 PM
All Yappi

Male 11's and I teed off at Little Mountain, in Concord, this morning at 7:30. We were the first ones off and finished by 10:15. What a BEAUTIFUL course! There were bunkers galore, of which I found several. We used 11's ESPN pass and were only charged $25. There is some contour to the land and the greens were a challenge. All around, a great day to be golfing.

Raccoon Hills in Kent with Myron, tomorrow morning.
Old 08-10-17, 04:38 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
...people watch to much tv, too many practice swings, too many practice putts, to much posing....instead they need to learn golf etiquette (rake traps, repair divots, be aware of the golfers behind you, and for God's sake----PLAY READY GOLF!!!!!
4, thanks for the Kensington response, if I'm ever back that way again will get a hold of you and we'll play. Is Fonderlac still around in Poland? I saw that there was a new public course in Poland also, looked pretty nice.

I'm currently playing in a summer league with one of my brothers, in fact we are teeing off in about an hour. And if we have the course to ourselves, we routinely play in 2 hours and 30 minutes with a cart. 18 holes, ready golf. My brother is an 18 handicap but hits the ball really well, getting his chipping and putting game back. I'm a 7 still, and I like to play fast and efficiently. The Clubhouse Pros are always amazed at us when we play a twosome in the league as to how fast we can play. We were forced to play with a Dad and son two weeks ago. Great guys, really good golfers, but just slow as molasses. The multiple warm up swings, surveying the "field", lining up the putts from every angle. They weren't any better than I was. The Dad was a 3 handicap and was one of those "competitor" types on the course. He kept worrying about what I was doing. About every 4th hole, he would announce where we were at score was, that he was going to beat me. And his son was this methodical, never in a hurry 21 year old who just took all day to play. I just play, I play the course, and try to have fun. Round was 4 and a half hours. I was spent, I wanted to get off the course. As you said and others have said, they watch the Pros. The Pros are playing for money, they can do what they want. To emulate them just extends the time you are on the course. If you're not a negative handicap player, just step up and hit and play ready golf. You're either going to hit it okay or not, you're either going to make the putt or not. Just initiate. And be aware of others around you.
Old 08-10-17, 07:52 PM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
4, thanks for the Kensington response, if I'm ever back that way again will get a hold of you and we'll play. Is Fonderlac still around in Poland? I saw that there was a new public course in Poland also, looked pretty nice.

I'm currently playing in a summer league with one of my brothers, in fact we are teeing off in about an hour. And if we have the course to ourselves, we routinely play in 2 hours and 30 minutes with a cart. 18 holes, ready golf. My brother is an 18 handicap but hits the ball really well, getting his chipping and putting game back. I'm a 7 still, and I like to play fast and efficiently. The Clubhouse Pros are always amazed at us when we play a twosome in the league as to how fast we can play. We were forced to play with a Dad and son two weeks ago. Great guys, really good golfers, but just slow as molasses. The multiple warm up swings, surveying the "field", lining up the putts from every angle. They weren't any better than I was. The Dad was a 3 handicap and was one of those "competitor" types on the course. He kept worrying about what I was doing. About every 4th hole, he would announce where we were at score was, that he was going to beat me. And his son was this methodical, never in a hurry 21 year old who just took all day to play. I just play, I play the course, and try to have fun. Round was 4 and a half hours. I was spent, I wanted to get off the course. As you said and others have said, they watch the Pros. The Pros are playing for money, they can do what they want. To emulate them just extends the time you are on the course. If you're not a negative handicap player, just step up and hit and play ready golf. You're either going to hit it okay or not, you're either going to make the putt or not. Just initiate. And be aware of others around you.
... Fonderlac is now called the Lake Club is still private and a very good golf course. They've moved some things around and changed the layout a bit, but it's still one of the best in the Valley. The course you may be talking about is Reserve Run on Western Reserve Rd. It's ok, not one of my favorites, but it has a few good holes.

I'm playing tomorrow at Brookside over in the Akron area with an old friend and hopefully the weather cooperates.
Old 08-10-17, 08:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
... Fonderlac is now called the Lake Club is still private and a very good golf course. They've moved some things around and changed the layout a bit, but it's still one of the best in the Valley. The course you may be talking about is Reserve Run on Western Reserve Rd. It's ok, not one of my favorites, but it has a few good holes.

I'm playing tomorrow at Brookside over in the Akron area with an old friend and hopefully the weather cooperates.
Reserve Run is a fun course. I think of it as the little brother of The Quarry. Very scenic.

4cards, would that be Barberton Brookside? We played there a few times over the years during the week, but once we played on Father's Day, behind a league, and I think I had to shave again before we got in 18.

If you want to play a nice course, try Brookledge, in Cuyahoga Falls.
Old 08-10-17, 08:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

There's nothing worse than playing behind or with slow people. Play ready golf. Line up your shot, take a practice swing, and hit it. None of us are pros, nor remotely near. I've played with a few guys that take several practice swings, stand behind their ball, take more practice swings, address the ball, wiggle several times, then finally hit. Each shot must take a minute.

Two weekends ago, as three of us stood on the third green at Sleepy, we watched a guy get down on his stomach on the first green to look at his putt, while holding up his putter to line it up. Yes, he was flat on his stomach. We had to watch the result. Of course he blew it 10 feet by. We laughed like hell.

Then there's the guy who wants to putt EVERYTHING out, and I mean a one footer. Buddy, if you're putting for a double or triple, and no money is on it, you can have the putt and let's move on.

I hear there are even guys that count the clubs in someone else's bag.

I play for fun and to get out with the guys. Once it stops being fun, I stop playing.
Old 08-10-17, 10:04 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried Vice golf balls yet?
Old 08-11-17, 07:58 AM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Has anyone tried Vice golf balls yet?
Yes, a very good ball. A tad bit shorter off the tee for me. Snell is also a great ball
Old 08-11-17, 11:33 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The USGA and PGA chronically profess efforts to speed up the game but take no real measures to speed up the pros that these hacks try to emulate. I think most of these tortoises would realize what I have over the years- all of that analysis is bad for your damn game. Step up, trust your instinct, and hit the damn ball. Pondering over the damn ball will do nothing more than give you the veritable "paralysis by analysis."
Old 08-11-17, 12:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
The USGA and PGA chronically profess efforts to speed up the game but take no real measures to speed up the pros that these hacks try to emulate. I think most of these tortoises would realize what I have over the years- all of that analysis is bad for your damn game. Step up, trust your instinct, and hit the damn ball. Pondering over the damn ball will do nothing more than give you the veritable "paralysis by analysis."
...follow Roy McAvoy's advice: "grip it and rip it"

Last edited by 4cards; 08-12-17 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-11-17, 03:25 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Saw something I've never seen before (neither did the 65-year-long golfer who joined Ones and I today): a 50-yard pitch shot to the green that came up short and a bit off-center, landing dead-smack in the golf cart basket, nestling softly between a cooler and a driver club head...
Old 08-11-17, 05:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Saw something I've never seen before (neither did the 65-year-long golfer who joined Ones and I today): a 50-yard pitch shot to the green that came up short and a bit off-center, landing dead-smack in the golf cart basket, nestling softly between a cooler and a driver club head...
Of course, I was the guilty party. The pitch was with a 7 iron, in an attempt to stay under the trees, which I did.
Old 08-12-17, 08:21 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
...free drop...!

Way to go 1's😂
Old 08-14-17, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

Rake your bunkers people!!!

ended up in a big nasty foot print this weekend in a tournament, cost me.
Old 08-14-17, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Reserve Run is a fun course. I think of it as the little brother of The Quarry. Very scenic.

4cards, would that be Barberton Brookside? We played there a few times over the years during the week, but once we played on Father's Day, behind a league, and I think I had to shave again before we got in 18.

If you want to play a nice course, try Brookledge, in Cuyahoga Falls.
Have a need for a family friendly course between Canton and the east side of CLE and this place came up. Care to expand on your take? Heard it is well maintained with fast greens, not long but a tricked up course that can lead to slow play. How accurate is this description? Anyone ever play Ellsworth in Hudson?
Old 08-14-17, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin17 View Post
Rake your bunkers people!!!

ended up in a big nasty foot print this weekend in a tournament, cost me.
Why not just move your ball?
Old 08-14-17, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Not allowed in strict interpretation of the rules of golf, bottom line is you play the ball where it lies unless it is a man made obstruction like a cart path, sprinkler head, or drain cover..

I play in a tourney that follows the rules like you are playing in a USGA event and it can really add a lot of strokes to the score. Ball out of bounds? You not only lose a stroke but distance. Land in a big unfixed divot in a fairway? Tough luck, got to play it where it lies. Also there are different rules for red stake hazards and yellow stake hazards.
Old 08-14-17, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It was during tournament play
Old 08-14-17, 02:17 PM
All American

Quote:

4cards, would that be Barberton Brookside? We played there a few times over the years during the week, but once we played on Father's Day, behind a league, and I think I had to shave again before we got in 18. :eek
...Yes 1's, Barberton Brookside.

I hit the ball a ton Friday night and couldn't make a putt to save my life. We only played 9 (shot 41) and there was nobody in front of behind us the entire round which was just fine with me.
Old 08-14-17, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

Another edition of idiots on the golf course.

Four of us teed off at 8:45, ahead of a 9:00 high school dual match. On 6 tee box, one member of our foursome teed off. As soon as he teed off, a woman in a golf cart pulled up to our tee box and sat there, looking at us. Now, 6 tee box is far away from where the first group was playing. She sat there while I teed off and the third member teed off. The fourth member then stood addressing his ball and off she goes. Could she have been used for target practice? Maybe, but the gentleman waited. We were not sure what the hell she may have been thinking. You can't fix stupid.
Old 08-14-17, 08:48 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...Yes 1's, Barberton Brookside.

I hit the ball a ton Friday night and couldn't make a putt to save my life. We only played 9 (shot 41) and there was nobody in front of behind us the entire round which was just fine with me.
Hit for show and putt...

Nice when there is no one screwing up the pace. Makes for a quick, enjoyable round.
Old 08-19-17, 04:28 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I hear there are even guys that count the clubs in someone else's bag.

I play for fun and to get out with the guys. Once it stops being fun, I stop playing.
I've played in some competitive leagues for the last 35 years, and there are always the "rules" guys. Clubs in the bag is one. Had a player who had an extra warm up swing club in his bag and his opponent called him out for a 2 stroke penalty for having more than 14 clubs in the bag. I hit Krank Drivers till about 5 years ago, and I'd be playing in a tourney, and either in the staging area or with whoever I was playing with, I'd be asked if the Drivers I used were legal. I was in a match play round on the 17th hole, ready to close out my opponent, and he asked me to move my ball mark. Which was nowhere near his putting line. Then he caused a distraction after he putted, and I then forgot to remark my ball, and as soon as I made contact he called a 2 stroke penalty on me. I had to hold myself back from btlsooh. I won the next hole, and he wanted to shake my hand, and I told him tgfh. I've had penalties called on me for having a corner of a laid club in a trap, for getting down on one knee to hit a shot, for not being behind a tee marker (there was only one marker). One time in match play I just missed a putt by an inch, and thinking that it was a given, swatted my ball away, and was told the putt had not been conceded. I've been scorecard disqualified in a tournament for not having the attest signature on the scorecard. I'm getting older and don't usually enjoy playing with people I don't know anymore. Much rather play with people I like, in a foursome.
Old 08-19-17, 04:45 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I've played in some competitive leagues for the last 35 years, and there are always the "rules" guys. Clubs in the bag is one. Had a player who had an extra warm up swing club in his bag and his opponent called him out for a 2 stroke penalty for having more than 14 clubs in the bag. I hit Krank Drivers till about 5 years ago, and I'd be playing in a tourney, and either in the staging area or with whoever I was playing with, I'd be asked if the Drivers I used were legal. I was in a match play round on the 17th hole, ready to close out my opponent, and he asked me to move my ball mark. Which was nowhere near his putting line. Then he caused a distraction after he putted, and I then forgot to remark my ball, and as soon as I made contact he called a 2 stroke penalty on me. I had to hold myself back from btlsooh. I won the next hole, and he wanted to shake my hand, and I told him tgfh. I've had penalties called on me for having a corner of a laid club in a trap, for getting down on one knee to hit a shot, for not being behind a tee marker (there was only one marker). One time in match play I just missed a putt by an inch, and thinking that it was a given, swatted my ball away, and was told the putt had not been conceded. I've been scorecard disqualified in a tournament for not having the attest signature on the scorecard. I'm getting older and don't usually enjoy playing with people I don't know anymore. Much rather play with people I like, in a foursome.
Some people seem to forget it is supposed to be fun. We have a guy in our league that ponders and walks off every putt like it's the damn US Open. He's the butt of 90% of the jokes in the league.
Old 08-19-17, 06:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

This is exactly why I don't play for money or worry about "beating" the next guy. I want to play with people I like, and if I'm keeping score, and you tell me had a three, that's what I'm writing down. I don't count the next guy's strokes. I play to beat the course and have a good time. Golf, for me, is supposed to be fun and I look forward to every round.
Old 08-21-17, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

I disagree with the above takes with regards to the rules of golf. Golf is an unique game in that the players are asked to self govern their play and to assess penalties and stay within the rules, it is a character thing and tells you a lot about the person you are playing with if they think it is OK to make up the rules along the way even if playing for fun. Call me a jerk but if I play within the rules I expect those I am playing with to also play within the rules. This is the way I was instructed by the pros I was around when caddying that taught me the game; they were very forthright that this is the tradition that should be upheld as it is an important part of the game of golf that differentiates it from other sports.
Old 08-21-17, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I disagree with the above takes with regards to the rules of golf. Golf is an unique game in that the players are asked to self govern their play and to assess penalties and stay within the rules, it is a character thing and tells you a lot about the person you are playing with if they think it is OK to make up the rules along the way even if playing for fun. Call me a jerk but if I play within the rules I expect those I am playing with to also play within the rules. This is the way I was instructed by the pros I was around when caddying that taught me the game; they were very forthright that this is the tradition that should be upheld as it is an important part of the game of golf that differentiates it from other sports.
Doesn't sound like much fun.
Old 08-21-17, 12:12 PM
All American

...I've always played to have fun when it's for fun. If I want to bump a ball up in the rough with a few friends and we all agree before that's what we'll do..so be it. If I'm playing in a best ball event where the strict rules of golf apply, then that's how we play (putt everything out, play it as it lies, stroke and distance for lost balls, etc...and every other rule that goes with the play of the day)
Old 08-21-17, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Doesn't sound like much fun.
More fun than "bending" the rules.

I guess it is how you are taught the game and how you grew up with it.
Old 08-21-17, 01:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
More fun than "bending" the rules.

I guess it is how you are taught the game and how you grew up with it.
I think a strict adherence to all the rules is dumb if you're just playing for fun with your buddies. I really don't see any issue with someone tossing their ball underhanded on a drop, or spinning their ball around without marking it to line up a putt, etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: