Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-17, 06:54 AM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
To all my disappointed Indians fans, keep up hope, y'all.
I'm a Reds fan. I remember the days of the "Big Red Machine" very well. However, there were many dark, gut-wrenching years which ended in huge heartbreaks;
1970 -- The team that had rolled to a 102-60 W/L record (sound familiar?) stumbled and bumbled to a 5-game World Series humbling at the hands of the Baltimore Orioles;
1972 -- A devastating 7-game World Series loss to the Oakland A's (an excruciating series in which every game sans one was decided by 1 run)
1973 -- An unbelievable 5-game loss in the NLCS to the New York Mets (a team that won only 82 games during the season)

People remember the glorious years of 1975 and 1976, but the road getting there was long, filled with grief, and little hope for "get 'em next year". However, we found out that there actually can be light down the road.

Don't give up. You guys have a nice ballclub. Sometimes it just isn't your year, but next year could be the one (and perhaps just the first of several).

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 10-12-17 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 06:55 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
48 years? Wow, that's almost respectable. Congratulations! The kids better start planning now, get a nice place reserved for friends and family to celebrate in two years.
Old 10-12-17, 10:48 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
): Not good; things change in a year... .
Old 10-12-17, 12:39 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
): Not good; things change in a year... .
Sad, but true! The Indians really blew a great opportunity. When your Cy Young candidate loses two of the three games and your team bats .171, you aren't going to beat anybody. Let's hope the Tribe can regroup!

ROCK ON!
Old 10-12-17, 02:41 PM
All American

Ok; I can't discuss the tribe; maybe by Jan. or Feb.

Here is part one of our Viet Nam song quiz. Two guesses each to start today. Filler is always good.

1. This song opened the presentation. Sang for a girl named Suze. Has a sad feel to it.

2. The genesis of this song is often missed. It was actually written in response to curfew riots on The Sunset Strip.

3. "The big fool said to push on". This song was censored on The Smothers' Brotherss Show.

4. "I look from the wings at the play you are staging".

5. Political left felt betrayed by these trend leaders with the phrase "Count me out" in the song.

6. "You that hide behind walls. You that hide behind desks. I just want you to know that I can see through your masks".

7. Both Mary Clayton and Lisa Fischer played major roles in this song and with this band for the ages.

8. "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming".

9. "Johnny 's in the basement mixing up the medicine; I'm on the pavement talkin' 'bout the government".

10. Who did the song "Mean Old World"?

11. You raise my taxes; you freeze my wages and you send my son to Viet Nam". This female singer is a Hall of Fame nominee this year. Probably should have happened long ago.

12. "And, it's one, two, three, what are we fighting for. Don't ask me I don't give a damn - my next stop is Viet Nam. Ever seen the movie "Woodstock"?

13. This song opens the movie "Full Metal Jacket".

14. Swamp music from the biggest Bayou group. Writer of the song said he was inspired from the story, The Devil and Daniel Webster".

15. This was a follow up to the hit "Get Ready".

16. His other hit was "The Midnight Hour".

17. Done early by Howlin' Wolf in '56; I recall The Yardbirds, Mannfred Mann and Zeppelin doing it also.

18. Not "Layla" but another song by Derek and The Dominoes.

19. This guy must have made a fortune on the rights to this song because it has been in everything; an instrumental.

20. "We skipped a light fandango. turned cartwheels across the floor. I was feeling kind of sea sick. The crowd called out for more."

I guess this seems difficult. I knew about half. Let's see how you do; subsequent lists can be done on a curve.

Last edited by Bevo; 10-12-17 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 03:06 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Bevo - For what it's worth, most of Indian Nation feels the same way as you. We don't get a lot of opportunities, so it's really tough not to take advantage of a great regular season.

I'll start with a couple of guesses:

8. "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming".
"Ohio", Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
9. "Johnny 's in the basement mixing up the medicine; I'm on the pavement talkin' 'bout the government".
"Subterranean Homesick Blues", Bob Dylan

ROCK ON!
Old 10-12-17, 03:08 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
48 years? Wow, that's almost respectable. Congratulations! The kids better start planning now, get a nice place reserved for friends and family to celebrate in two years.
Zunardo,

Thanks for the congrats on number 48 for "Me and Mrs. JB". . .wasn't there a song called that, no wait, that was " Me and Mrs. Jones" I believe. Also, thanks to OWK, EagleGuy, Monclova Steve, and Diva for your congratulation/ best wishes as well, they were appreciated.

If our kids do plan a 50 year Golden Anniversary for us as you suggest, I am giving you all a two year advance warning that I have taken the liberty of completing the gift registry at:

Nervous Charlie's Fireworks and All Night Liquor Store
P.O. Box 666
Wimberley, Texas 78676

JB
Old 10-12-17, 03:35 PM
All Ohio

Bevo,

3. "Waist Deep In The Big Muddy" - Pete Seeger
20. "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" - Procul Harum

JB
Old 10-12-17, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

#2. For What It's Worth -- Buffalo Springfield

#5. Revolution -- Fab Four
Old 10-12-17, 04:06 PM
All American

O (Oh my!) WK

8. Ohio was written by Neal Young, although many believe it was Stills. The opening chords and notes were melodic but harsh; good tune.
"Gotta get down to it, soldiers are gunning us down. Should have been long ago".
Rough stuff.

9. Bob was derivative and different and working w/o a net but I liked 99% of it. The crazy titles; big difference between "She Just My Style" and "Subterrean Homesick Blues"! "Sad-eyed Lady of The Lowlands" or even "Stuck Inside of Mobile with The Memphis Blues Again".
Remember I mentioned a while back when he was starting up a lengthy tour , the guys in his band were working on 500 of his songs!!

JB - let me also chime in with congratulations on your anniversary! Forty-eight years - (is that the "brick" or the "anvil" symbol? I might get close to that number - but it would be cumulative - 8 here, 4 there, 30 somewhere., etc. You and mom had to have been on the same page for your vast interests and collections!

3. Pete Seeger with "Waist Deep in Big Muddy". I remember this, I think. I certainly recall the many musical acts the Brothers had on. This is when I said "Goodbye" to "Bonanza".

20. Whiter Shade of Pale; sounds like a funeral dirge. So many of these songs seemed to fill a teenage angst in many of us. (although, most of us were posers, especially the younger pups like myself) Led by Dylan, Dali, Fellini, Arthur Rimbaud - type lyrics, it all seemed to work - the more sublime and abstract they were , the better they seemed.

Great start by the twosome that may be called upon for may of these anthems.
Old 10-12-17, 04:20 PM
All American

Yep, the other ole rocker is on the board! Jumped in while I was typing just about as well as I did in Mrs. Borton's class in 1965.

2. Yes, the rowdy Sun Set Strip curfew riots! Somehow the words "curfew" and Sun Set Strip" shouldn't be used together. Was this Stills? "For What It's Worth"

4. The Fabs would have to be on here somewhere! "Revolution".

Make that the "threesome"!
Old 10-12-17, 04:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
O (Oh my!) WK

8. Ohio was written by Neal Young, although many believe it was Stills. The opening chords and notes were melodic but harsh; good tune.
"Gotta get down to it, soldiers are gunning us down. Should have been long ago".
Rough stuff.
Rough indeed. And very well deserved.
This song is so meaningful to me as I was at EMU at the time, living in the athlete's dorm (we were all soooo privileged). After the Kent State shootings, we had students protesting, well, our fellow students getting killed.
In response, we got a visit from the National Guard -- complete with helicopters, Guardsmen in the hallways and tear gas that we could smell in our rooms even tho we weren't protesting.
I was arguing with one of my teammates that this wasn't necessary, as we weren't doing anything. He told me that it was necessary due to the Communist-inspired undesirable elements that had obviously infiltrated our campus.
In his enthusiasm for the Guardsmen, he opened our door to the hallway to cheer them on. He was immediately thanked with a rifle butt to the ribs and an order to close the #####ing door.
This song has always been near and dear to my heart.
Old 10-12-17, 05:42 PM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
Wow ^^^
Old 10-12-17, 06:25 PM
All American

12. "Fixin' To Die Rag" - Country Joe & The Fish

15. ""I Just Want To Celebrate" - Rare Earth
Old 10-12-17, 06:27 PM
All Ohio

Cool

Quote:
O (Oh my!) WK

Rough stuff.

9. Bob was derivative and different and working w/o a net but I liked 99% of it. The crazy titles; big difference between "She Just My Style" and "Subterrean Homesick Blues"! "Sad-eyed Lady of The Lowlands" or even "Stuck Inside of Mobile with The Memphis Blues Again".
Remember I mentioned a while back when he was starting up a lengthy tour , the guys in his band were working on 500 of his songs!!

JB - let me also chime in with congratulations on your anniversary! Forty-eight years - (is that the "brick" or the "anvil" symbol? I might get close to that number - but it would be cumulative - 8 here, 4 there, 30 somewhere., etc. You and mom had to have been on the same page for your vast interests and collections!

3. Pete Seeger with "Waist Deep in Big Muddy". I remember this, I think. I certainly recall the many musical acts the Brothers had on. This is when I said "Goodbye" to "Bonanza".

20. Whiter Shade of Pale; sounds like a funeral dirge. So many of these songs seemed to fill a teenage angst in many of us. (although, most of us were posers, especially the younger pups like myself) Led by Dylan, Dali, Fellini, Arthur Rimbaud - type lyrics, it all seemed to work - the more sublime and abstract they were , the better they seemed.

Great start by the twosome that may be called upon for may of these anthems.
Bevo,

Thanks for the nuptial congrats and to answer your question on whether the symbol for the 48th anniversary is the "brick" or "anvil" I actually believe in my case the "Ball & Chain" may be more appropriate. I say this in jest of course.

JB
Old 10-12-17, 06:31 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
12. "Fixin' To Die Rag" - Country Joe & The Fish
Often preceded by the infamous F-I-S-H cheer. "Give me an F! Give me a... ...What's that spell?" Uh, fish?

7. "Gimme Shelter" - The Rolling Stones

Bevo, a minor correction on #7. I believe Mary Clayton spells her name Merry.
Old 10-12-17, 07:18 PM
All American

JB - Of course.

BlackHawk - Great, great song. I stand corrected on Miss. Clayton (Merry).

Zurnado - 12. Oh baby - Country Joe and The Fish. "What's that spell... ?"

15. I am not disputing this answer but I was looking for someone else. Rare Earth was very good. One of the great overlooked bands probably.
Further review on my part for 15.
Old 10-12-17, 08:50 PM
All American

Ok; good start. Some difficult ones left.

We have 1, 4, 6, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19 left. Let's go three guesses tomorrow from 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

(I had a chemical stress test today and feel crappy! I can't reach the required heart rate on the conventional stress test because I can't breath fast enough. The chemical stress test is "out of body" weird because they pump you full of some radioactive stuff and you suddenly feel as though you DID run the stress test. Not fun and takes about three hours.)
Old 10-12-17, 10:28 PM
All Ohio

All my best to you, Bevo.
That has to be a VERY uncomfortable feeling (if I may understate the situation). I hope your system processes the stuff as rapidly as possible. After all, we do expect you to promptly return to fulfilling our entertainment needs here on the quiz .
Hope you're feeling better.
Old 10-12-17, 11:28 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Hope you are feeling better today. Does not sound like fun at all. Prayers.

Going to cheat and offer two early as I will be hard at work by 7:30 in the am tomorrow.

14. Swamp music from the biggest Bayou group. Writer of the song said he was inspired from the story, The Devil and Daniel Webster".

Born on the Bayou, CCR Writer: Dan Fogerty?

15. This was a follow up to the hit "Get Ready".

I Just Want to Celebrate (Another Day of Livin'/Life) - Rare Earth [Strictly A Guess] When I lived in Durham, NC, some of my co-workers on the night stock crew and I went to the Greensboro Coliseum to see Rare Earth. ~1970. Incredible! I have an album (Rare Earth, I believe) in my "album crate" in the spare bedroom closet.

19. This guy must have made a fortune on the rights to this song because it has been in everything; an instrumental.

Classical Gas - Mason Williams - [Another Guess] - There were quite a few during the sixties and seventies that were also popular, including my fav, Summer Place by Percy Faith. (Late night "transistor" tune I heard over and over again and never got tired of. So wistful.) I still hear this one (CG) often so I'm going with it.
Old 10-13-17, 06:26 AM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
I hope you're feeling better, Bevo. That sounds awful.

I played guitar for years when I was young. I tried to work up "Classical Gas" and did ok for my young fingers. I haven't heard it in decades.

Do people still make a big deal of Friday the 13th? Are any of you superstitious?

I for one am not. Have a good day, all.
Old 10-13-17, 06:43 AM
All American

Odds and ends...thanks for all those "health call outs". Not for sissies, is it?

EagleGuy - This PBS Viet Nam quiz has a lot of "B side" stuff so I will give you credit for knowing CCR; the song I was after I was "Bad Moon Rising" which John F. said came out of thinking about the short story "The Devil and Daniel Webster".

We've had two shots at 15 and since they are the same I am reporting that it was not the answer I wanted. I looked that one over last night so there may have to be a "re-do" on my part there later today.

Classical Gas by Mason Williams. I saw him do this on The Smothers' Brothers. And, I had the 45; I believe the label was green. Wasn't he also a writer on the show? Great song and again very reflective of the eclectic nature of the mid to late 60's.

Diva - that's quite a feat! That song has some - to me - major pickin' in it!
EagleGuy - great guess but I am looking for a tune that has been on numerous of our lists.
Old 10-13-17, 07:00 AM
All American

16. "Mustang Sally"?
Old 10-13-17, 07:02 AM
All American

16. Yep - The Wicked Mr. Pickett.

Last edited by Bevo; 10-13-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 07:17 AM
All American

One other thing about the stress test, since I am full of radioactive stuff they gave me a card to carry for three days in case I set off a geiger counter somewhere. Most common places, they said, are airports and landfills. Remember that the next time you are trying to dump your uranium cache at your county environmental establishment!
Old 10-13-17, 07:57 AM
All Ohio

On #15, I would have thought along the lines of Rare Earth's "Get Ready" as well.
Perhaps, Bevo, did you have The Temptations in mind? Didn't they do a song with the same or similar title? I have no idea of what a sequel to that might have been, but I just thought I'd mention it.
Or, I have no idea of what I'm talking about.
Old 10-13-17, 08:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
On #15, I would have thought along the lines of Rare Earth's "Get Ready" as well.
Perhaps, Bevo, did you have The Temptations in mind? Didn't they do a song with the same or similar title? I have no idea of what a sequel to that might have been, but I just thought I'd mention it.
Or, I have no idea of what I'm talking about.
Nice - I didn't think about a different group doing "Get Ready", but with that assist, I just might proffer my second guess of the day.

15. "Psychedelic Shack" - The Temptations

Definitely a Vietnam War-era song, even if it's not the correct answer. I first heard PS in my 6th grade class, 1969-1970. Our teacher allowed us to bring in 45's and LP's on Fridays, and she would set aside 30 minutes for us to play pop music on the classroom phonograph.

If I recall, someone in the class played "Cecilia" by Simon and Garfarkel, which I thought was catchy - until someone whispered to me after class, "you know that's a dirty song, don't you?" Of course, I was clueless back then. Took about ten years to sink in, and then I went, "Oh - ohhhhhh!". And then I blushed.
Old 10-13-17, 08:39 AM
All Ohio

Some really great answers being tossed around on this particular quiz. . .I'm thinking we all should have been given a multiple choice format and in that case I will select answer "C" for each of the questions, which was my 9th grade biology strategy. Maybe that is why I was a solid "C" biology student ending my goal of becoming a mad scientist at an early age.

I'm going to go with these guesses for the day:

6." Masters of War " - Your man Dylan wrote it, but it sounded like the Staple Singers rendition ??

13. "Hello Viet Nam" - Johnnie Wright opened " Full Metal Jacket" during the head-shaving of the recruits. This just set the tone of the entire first half of the film. Do you recall the song that was playing as the second half began in an abrupt change of scenery after the graphic murder/suicide sequence in the bathroom ?

17. "Smokestack Lightnin'" - I knew that The early Yardbirds and Manfred Mann had covered this Howlin Wolf classic, but the Led Zep clue is puzzling, I have never heard their version, so my answer may be off base ???

Add me to your list of well-wishers for good results on your test. Sounds like the procedure could have been included in the boot camp scenes from Full Metal Jacket !

JB

PS: Is Mason Williams-Classical Gas the final answer for "19" ? Just curious, I had another guess for that seemed to fit the question also. I've used my 3 guess allotment so will keep my thoughts to myself for now.
Old 10-13-17, 08:52 AM
All American

The Temptations song that I seem to have ham-fisted in to a quandry is "Ain't Too Proud to Beg". No. 15.

JB - I may have been hallucinating about Zepelin - thought I read it as a cover for them. Anyway, you are correct on 17. with "Smokestack Lightnin' "

13. Correct again with Johnnie Wright and "Hello Viet Nam".

6. Of course, there would have to be Dylan music in a series such as this. Funny that you mention The Staple Singers as Bob was just in Columbus and Mavis Staples was his opening act. "Masters of War".

Remember she played a prominent role in No Direction Home.

Was the song to open the second half of Full Metal Jacket "Paint It Black"? Just a guess but what a rippin' tune for its time.

Just another little hint, the song that opens the V.N. series is a sad Dylan song but not about the war - unless we are talking about the war of the heart.

Also, as you may be surmising, not all of the songs chosen by Burns and his partner are from the Viet Nam era - most are - but not all.

Last edited by Bevo; 10-13-17 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 10:04 AM
All Ohio

Bevo,

You are correct that I did see a great many of the songs on the quiz were from the Ken Burns recent Viet Nam documentary on PBS. I watched the entire 10 part series and recorded it as well and even started watching it again in small segments.

"Paint It Black" was a very, very good guess for the opening of the 2nd half of "Full Metal Jacket", another good guess from the Stones would have been "Gimme Shelter" which I've seen used in many Viet Nam videos. The song that started the 2nd half of FMJ wasn't a Stones song, however.

The scene had Mathew Modine and a photographer sitting in a sidewalk café when a kid on a moped rushes by and steals their camera and takes off down the busy street. They were talking to a prostitute who I think was strutting her stuff in a miniskirt as the scene opened with this very famous song playing by one of your "babes" from previous threads.
So now you know the song was done by a "hottie" and was #1 hit on the charts in the VietNam era. I know you will get this and kick yourself if you don't.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: