Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-11-17, 01:18 AM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
I've always liked Klinse, watched him play for Berlin in the Bundesliga years ago and then for the German(West) national team. A good guy as well.
Old 10-11-17, 01:38 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
As good a time as any to clean house at US Soccer. Gulati and Arena should be gone tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-17, 04:26 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
T&T!? Wow, that's bad
Old 10-11-17, 06:44 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Don't want to hear another word about USA Soccer until they ever again qualify for the World Cup. They couldn't even get out of probably the easiest region in the world from which to qualify. Absolutely pathetic.
Old 10-11-17, 07:11 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Don't want to hear another word about USA Soccer until they ever again qualify for the World Cup. They couldn't even get out of probably the easiest region in the world from which to qualify. Absolutely pathetic.
You should start by not opening a thread dedicated to soccer, where people discuss things like USA soccer.
Old 10-11-17, 07:13 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Well that was embarrassing. USA's best hope for being a competitor, let alone contender, is to wait for CTE to take a stranglehold on football and the elite athletes start playing soccer.
Old 10-11-17, 08:11 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Trump got NFL players to stand for the anthem & the USA out of the World Cup. Good week for men with healthy testosterone levels.
Now this is funny...
Old 10-11-17, 08:14 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Maybe all that programming of soccer on ESPN and Fox Sports will go away now.
Old 10-11-17, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Browns like performance from the USMNT, a complete rebooting of the program is needed.
Old 10-11-17, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Not surprising at all really
Old 10-11-17, 06:39 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Population of Trinidad and Tobago (1,350,000) and Cuyahoga County (1,250,000) are about the same.

I guess I'll be rooting for Germany again. As the saying goes, “Soccer is a simple game. Twenty two men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end, the Germans always win.”
Old 10-13-17, 12:53 PM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
Arena is out. Now on the news wires.
Old 10-13-17, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
larger discussion on this over in the Boys Soccer forum for those interested
Old 10-13-17, 06:32 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Three wins for the USA in the entire CONCACAF Hexagonal. Three wins out of ten games played. Turrible.
Old 10-13-17, 06:56 PM
All Yappi

The pay-to-play model obviously has to be addressed. The national team is not improving like it should, and the exclusionary youth model has a lot to do with it.
Old 10-17-17, 12:06 AM
All Yappi

Barring New Downtown Stadium, Columbus Crew Will Move to Austin in 2019

Columbus getting Modell'd.

Last edited by Crusaders; 10-17-17 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-17-17, 03:14 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Austin doesn't want to give out public money either. Probably not a bluff though, because I'm not sure why he'd wait until mid October to do this when he could've threatened the move earlier in the year to try to get a levy onto the ballet. Unless he was already certain he was going to move the team, of course. Either way Columbus should tell the rich guy to build it himself or he can go pound sand.

Sucks for Columbus and also Cincinnati. Definitely hurts FC Cincinnati's bid if they don't have a natural rival nearby.
Old 10-17-17, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

https://deadspin.com/columbus-crew-w...ket-1819608903

Yeah, this team is as good as gone. Pretty crappy move by the MLS.
Old 10-17-17, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

The mayor of Austin said there won't be any public funding there. This will be interesting. If Precourt was counting on public money in Austin, he may have overplayed his hand. This could be a PR nightmare that forces him out of MLS all-together.
Old 10-17-17, 01:27 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Austin doesn't want to give out public money either. Probably not a bluff though, because I'm not sure why he'd wait until mid October to do this when he could've threatened the move earlier in the year to try to get a levy onto the ballet. Unless he was already certain he was going to move the team, of course. Either way Columbus should tell the rich guy to build it himself or he can go pound sand.

Sucks for Columbus and also Cincinnati. Definitely hurts FC Cincinnati's bid if they don't have a natural rival nearby.
This is all over the various soccer boards and they're saying that it looks like Columbus Crew will be moving to Austin. The other point being made is that while this sucks for Columbus (I was an inaugural season ticket holder with the Crew and I lasted 7 years before the drive became to much) it's GREAT news for FC Cincinnati.

The notion is that MLS will not abandon Ohio altogether and recent expansion bids from Nashville & Detroit were likely to keep FCC out of the next round of expansions. This move solves several MLS problems:

* Relocates an under-performing franchise in the Crew. In addition to their being near the bottom of the league in attendance, Crews stadium is not in a good location and is seriously outdated.

* Allows entry of FC Cincinnati with it's stable ownership group and eye popping attendance. While we locals looked forward to a spirited rivalry with the Crew the cold calculating eyes in the MLC corporate offices saw two teams only 90 miles apart. The TV market footprint for Detroit, FCC & Nashville looks very attractive to MLS.

* They get to increase the MLS footprint in the 2nd largest state in America.
Old 10-17-17, 01:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
This is all over the various soccer boards and they're saying that it looks like Columbus Crew will be moving to Austin. The other point being made is that while this sucks for Columbus (I was an inaugural season ticket holder with the Crew and I lasted 7 years before the drive became to much) it's GREAT news for FC Cincinnati.

The notion is that MLS will not abandon Ohio altogether and recent expansion bids from Nashville & Detroit were likely to keep FCC out of the next round of expansions. This move solves several MLS problems:

* Relocates an under-performing franchise in the Crew. In addition to their being near the bottom of the league in attendance, Crews stadium is not in a good location and is seriously outdated.

* Allows entry of FC Cincinnati with it's stable ownership group and eye popping attendance. While we locals looked forward to a spirited rivalry with the Crew the cold calculating eyes in the MLC corporate offices saw two teams only 90 miles apart. The TV market footprint for Detroit, FCC & Nashville looks very attractive to MLS.

* They get to increase the MLS footprint in the 2nd largest state in America.
You make all good points except for Crew Stadium being in a bad location. It's right off of I71 and is right next to OSU. I'm not familiar with Columbus but is there even enough room downtown to build a stadium? Why not just improve the existing stadium and surrounding area?
Old 10-17-17, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
The geographic location isn't the problem I don't think. I think the problem is that it's surrounded by nothing. Nippert, for example, has been a great location for FCC because there is so much to do within walking distance on gamedays Clifton is poppin'.
Old 10-17-17, 01:39 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
The stadium is centrally located, right off the highway, 10 min drive from downtown, 5 min drive from OSU, with ample amounts of parking. Zero issues with the location, and there's no place it would fit downtown.

Columbus isn't going to be stupid enough to use taxpayer dollars for a minor league soccer stadium, much less to waste valuable downtown real estate on it.

Austin seems better suited for the MLS market anyway.
Old 10-17-17, 01:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You make all good points except for Crew Stadium being in a bad location. It's right off of I71 and is right next to OSU. I'm not familiar with Columbus but is there even enough room downtown to build a stadium? Why not just improve the existing stadium and surrounding area?
The problem with location Sig is that there's nothing around the stadium. It's in the parking area for the State fair so you don't have the restaurants and sports bars that can host supporters clubs. The other issue is that while you're right it's just off 71 getting into and out of the stadium parking lot is a nightmare. I used to avoid this in the front end by getting to the stadium lot a couple of hours before game time and tailgating. The issue though is after the game it's crazy trying to get onto 71. Sure I could tailgate after the game but when you'r looking at a 90 minute drive that is less appealing then before the game tailgating.
Old 10-17-17, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
The geographic location isn't the problem I don't think. I think the problem is that it's surrounded by nothing. Nippert, for example, has been a great location for FCC because there is so much to do within walking distance on gamedays Clifton is poppin'.
Correct. That's why I like the Newport site - it to will be accessible from a horde of bars/restaurants on both sides of the river.
Old 10-17-17, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
There's no room unless you count the new Franklinton development as an extension of downtown: http://www.columbusunderground.com/2...n-unveiled-bw1

I have trouble believing the Crew couldn't have gotten a stadium in that plan if they really wanted it.

Precourt was always moving the Crew to Austin. Even if the city said they would fund a stadium tomorrow, he'll pull a Raiders-to-Vegas and say too little too late.

Quote:
Pretty much. The location sucks because it's surrounded by nothing and there's no way to improve it due to the State Fairgrounds.
Old 10-17-17, 01:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Then try and redevelop the area to get some bars and restaurants to move in. It's near OSU, there's no reason why that shouldn't be possible. Better than spending $300M, redeveloping yet another area, then leaving a black hole where the old stadium is. I realize this plan never actually happens, but that's because most local governments have no balls and will give a team owner whatever he wants.
Old 10-17-17, 01:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
The stadium is centrally located, right off the highway, 10 min drive from downtown, 5 min drive from OSU, with ample amounts of parking. Zero issues with the location, and there's no place it would fit downtown.

Columbus isn't going to be stupid enough to use taxpayer dollars for a minor league soccer stadium, much less to waste valuable downtown real estate on it.

Austin seems better suited for the MLS market anyway.
The stadium location sucks if you believe the comments from Crew fans on BigSoccer & Reddit. My own experience was less then optimal as getting into and out of the lot is a pain and during the State Fair it's especially annoying.
Old 10-17-17, 01:50 PM
All Yappi

Either way if they do move, OHSAA should take over the stadium and play all state championship games there.
Old 10-17-17, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I always loved state semi-finals at Crew.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: