Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #451  
Old 10-11-17, 01:18 AM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 238
USA70PP is on a distinguished road
I've always liked Klinse, watched him play for Berlin in the Bundesliga years ago and then for the German(West) national team. A good guy as well.
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 10-11-17, 01:38 AM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,302
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
As good a time as any to clean house at US Soccer. Gulati and Arena should be gone tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 10-11-17, 04:26 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,300
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
T&T!? Wow, that's bad
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 10-11-17, 06:44 AM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,176
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Don't want to hear another word about USA Soccer until they ever again qualify for the World Cup. They couldn't even get out of probably the easiest region in the world from which to qualify. Absolutely pathetic.
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 10-11-17, 07:11 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,957
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Don't want to hear another word about USA Soccer until they ever again qualify for the World Cup. They couldn't even get out of probably the easiest region in the world from which to qualify. Absolutely pathetic.
You should start by not opening a thread dedicated to soccer, where people discuss things like USA soccer.
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 10-11-17, 07:13 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,957
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Well that was embarrassing. USA's best hope for being a competitor, let alone contender, is to wait for CTE to take a stranglehold on football and the elite athletes start playing soccer.
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 10-11-17, 08:11 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,053
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Trump got NFL players to stand for the anthem & the USA out of the World Cup. Good week for men with healthy testosterone levels.
Now this is funny...
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 10-11-17, 08:14 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,053
14Red is on a distinguished road
Maybe all that programming of soccer on ESPN and Fox Sports will go away now.
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 10-11-17, 08:15 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 12,704
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Browns like performance from the USMNT, a complete rebooting of the program is needed.
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 10-11-17, 09:44 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,118
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Not surprising at all really
Reply With Quote
  #461  
Old 10-11-17, 06:39 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,596
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Population of Trinidad and Tobago (1,350,000) and Cuyahoga County (1,250,000) are about the same.

I guess I'll be rooting for Germany again. As the saying goes, “Soccer is a simple game. Twenty two men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end, the Germans always win.”
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 10-13-17, 12:53 PM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 238
USA70PP is on a distinguished road
Arena is out. Now on the news wires.
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 10-13-17, 01:28 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,118
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
larger discussion on this over in the Boys Soccer forum for those interested
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 10-13-17, 06:32 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,596
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Don't want to hear another word about USA Soccer until they ever again qualify for the World Cup. They couldn't even get out of probably the easiest region in the world from which to qualify. Absolutely pathetic.
Three wins for the USA in the entire CONCACAF Hexagonal. Three wins out of ten games played. Turrible.
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 10-13-17, 06:56 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,302
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
The pay-to-play model obviously has to be addressed. The national team is not improving like it should, and the exclusionary youth model has a lot to do with it.
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 10-17-17, 12:06 AM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,302
Crusaders is on a distinguished road


Barring New Downtown Stadium, Columbus Crew Will Move to Austin in 2019

Columbus getting Modell'd.

Last edited by Crusaders; 10-17-17 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 10-17-17, 03:14 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,555
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Austin doesn't want to give out public money either. Probably not a bluff though, because I'm not sure why he'd wait until mid October to do this when he could've threatened the move earlier in the year to try to get a levy onto the ballet. Unless he was already certain he was going to move the team, of course. Either way Columbus should tell the rich guy to build it himself or he can go pound sand.

Sucks for Columbus and also Cincinnati. Definitely hurts FC Cincinnati's bid if they don't have a natural rival nearby.
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 10-17-17, 11:26 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,555
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
https://deadspin.com/columbus-crew-w...ket-1819608903

Yeah, this team is as good as gone. Pretty crappy move by the MLS.
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 10-17-17, 11:44 AM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,302
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
The mayor of Austin said there won't be any public funding there. This will be interesting. If Precourt was counting on public money in Austin, he may have overplayed his hand. This could be a PR nightmare that forces him out of MLS all-together.
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 10-17-17, 01:27 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,050
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Austin doesn't want to give out public money either. Probably not a bluff though, because I'm not sure why he'd wait until mid October to do this when he could've threatened the move earlier in the year to try to get a levy onto the ballet. Unless he was already certain he was going to move the team, of course. Either way Columbus should tell the rich guy to build it himself or he can go pound sand.

Sucks for Columbus and also Cincinnati. Definitely hurts FC Cincinnati's bid if they don't have a natural rival nearby.
This is all over the various soccer boards and they're saying that it looks like Columbus Crew will be moving to Austin. The other point being made is that while this sucks for Columbus (I was an inaugural season ticket holder with the Crew and I lasted 7 years before the drive became to much) it's GREAT news for FC Cincinnati.

The notion is that MLS will not abandon Ohio altogether and recent expansion bids from Nashville & Detroit were likely to keep FCC out of the next round of expansions. This move solves several MLS problems:

* Relocates an under-performing franchise in the Crew. In addition to their being near the bottom of the league in attendance, Crews stadium is not in a good location and is seriously outdated.

* Allows entry of FC Cincinnati with it's stable ownership group and eye popping attendance. While we locals looked forward to a spirited rivalry with the Crew the cold calculating eyes in the MLC corporate offices saw two teams only 90 miles apart. The TV market footprint for Detroit, FCC & Nashville looks very attractive to MLS.

* They get to increase the MLS footprint in the 2nd largest state in America.
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 10-17-17, 01:33 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,555
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
This is all over the various soccer boards and they're saying that it looks like Columbus Crew will be moving to Austin. The other point being made is that while this sucks for Columbus (I was an inaugural season ticket holder with the Crew and I lasted 7 years before the drive became to much) it's GREAT news for FC Cincinnati.

The notion is that MLS will not abandon Ohio altogether and recent expansion bids from Nashville & Detroit were likely to keep FCC out of the next round of expansions. This move solves several MLS problems:

* Relocates an under-performing franchise in the Crew. In addition to their being near the bottom of the league in attendance, Crews stadium is not in a good location and is seriously outdated.

* Allows entry of FC Cincinnati with it's stable ownership group and eye popping attendance. While we locals looked forward to a spirited rivalry with the Crew the cold calculating eyes in the MLC corporate offices saw two teams only 90 miles apart. The TV market footprint for Detroit, FCC & Nashville looks very attractive to MLS.

* They get to increase the MLS footprint in the 2nd largest state in America.
You make all good points except for Crew Stadium being in a bad location. It's right off of I71 and is right next to OSU. I'm not familiar with Columbus but is there even enough room downtown to build a stadium? Why not just improve the existing stadium and surrounding area?
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 10-17-17, 01:37 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Location: Ezekiel 23:20
Posts: 5,766
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
The geographic location isn't the problem I don't think. I think the problem is that it's surrounded by nothing. Nippert, for example, has been a great location for FCC because there is so much to do within walking distance on gamedays Clifton is poppin'.
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 10-17-17, 01:39 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,065
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
The stadium is centrally located, right off the highway, 10 min drive from downtown, 5 min drive from OSU, with ample amounts of parking. Zero issues with the location, and there's no place it would fit downtown.

Columbus isn't going to be stupid enough to use taxpayer dollars for a minor league soccer stadium, much less to waste valuable downtown real estate on it.

Austin seems better suited for the MLS market anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 10-17-17, 01:42 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,050
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
You make all good points except for Crew Stadium being in a bad location. It's right off of I71 and is right next to OSU. I'm not familiar with Columbus but is there even enough room downtown to build a stadium? Why not just improve the existing stadium and surrounding area?
The problem with location Sig is that there's nothing around the stadium. It's in the parking area for the State fair so you don't have the restaurants and sports bars that can host supporters clubs. The other issue is that while you're right it's just off 71 getting into and out of the stadium parking lot is a nightmare. I used to avoid this in the front end by getting to the stadium lot a couple of hours before game time and tailgating. The issue though is after the game it's crazy trying to get onto 71. Sure I could tailgate after the game but when you'r looking at a 90 minute drive that is less appealing then before the game tailgating.
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 10-17-17, 01:44 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,050
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
The geographic location isn't the problem I don't think. I think the problem is that it's surrounded by nothing. Nippert, for example, has been a great location for FCC because there is so much to do within walking distance on gamedays Clifton is poppin'.
Correct. That's why I like the Newport site - it to will be accessible from a horde of bars/restaurants on both sides of the river.
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 10-17-17, 01:44 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 33,302
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
You make all good points except for Crew Stadium being in a bad location. It's right off of I71 and is right next to OSU. I'm not familiar with Columbus but is there even enough room downtown to build a stadium? Why not just improve the existing stadium and surrounding area?
There's no room unless you count the new Franklinton development as an extension of downtown: http://www.columbusunderground.com/2...n-unveiled-bw1

I have trouble believing the Crew couldn't have gotten a stadium in that plan if they really wanted it.

Precourt was always moving the Crew to Austin. Even if the city said they would fund a stadium tomorrow, he'll pull a Raiders-to-Vegas and say too little too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
The geographic location isn't the problem I don't think. I think the problem is that it's surrounded by nothing. Nippert, for example, has been a great location for FCC because there is so much to do within walking distance on gamedays Clifton is poppin'.
Pretty much. The location sucks because it's surrounded by nothing and there's no way to improve it due to the State Fairgrounds.
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 10-17-17, 01:45 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,555
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
The geographic location isn't the problem I don't think. I think the problem is that it's surrounded by nothing. Nippert, for example, has been a great location for FCC because there is so much to do within walking distance on gamedays Clifton is poppin'.
Then try and redevelop the area to get some bars and restaurants to move in. It's near OSU, there's no reason why that shouldn't be possible. Better than spending $300M, redeveloping yet another area, then leaving a black hole where the old stadium is. I realize this plan never actually happens, but that's because most local governments have no balls and will give a team owner whatever he wants.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 10-17-17, 01:46 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,050
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
The stadium is centrally located, right off the highway, 10 min drive from downtown, 5 min drive from OSU, with ample amounts of parking. Zero issues with the location, and there's no place it would fit downtown.

Columbus isn't going to be stupid enough to use taxpayer dollars for a minor league soccer stadium, much less to waste valuable downtown real estate on it.

Austin seems better suited for the MLS market anyway.
The stadium location sucks if you believe the comments from Crew fans on BigSoccer & Reddit. My own experience was less then optimal as getting into and out of the lot is a pain and during the State Fair it's especially annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 10-17-17, 01:50 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,555
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Either way if they do move, OHSAA should take over the stadium and play all state championship games there.
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 10-17-17, 01:52 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Location: Ezekiel 23:20
Posts: 5,766
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I always loved state semi-finals at Crew.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz