Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-12-17, 10:56 AM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
It would be apparent that your team's home score table is not manned by intelligent individuals.
Old 09-12-17, 12:15 PM
Freshman

Snowman8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
I can imagine a conversation like this at the scorer’s table.

Ok, the differential is 36, we’re in running-clock mode.

Team B just hit a three, now at 33, back to stop-the-clock mode.

Team A pushed it back to 36, back to running-clock mode.

What’s the score now? 64-25? What’s that spread?

Hold on, let me get my calculator out. I was never good at math.

And on, and on….
Haha. In Illinois if the score gets over 30 at any point in the 4th quarter, they just let it run for the rest of the game (aside from timeouts or injury stoppages). I doubt any team is gonna come back from down 35 in Ohio, so they might as well just go with Illinois' rule on this one.
Old 09-13-17, 07:03 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
Not sure if this is also going hand in hand with the seeding, but a running clock will be instituted when a team is up 35 in the second half.
stupid....

let the kids play....
Old 09-14-17, 09:48 AM
Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
Anyone know when district information comes out for basketball? Should be pretty soon I would think.
Old 09-14-17, 02:13 PM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
There is nothing wrong with how they do the district seeding goes. Over the years we have seen upsets and there is years where the district is just not good, and the number one seed rolls into the regional. Come on everybody, quit complaining just to be complaining. Talk about something else like when kids leave their district just to go play in another district because they got all the perks. Lets Talk about how suburbs and rural schools state grad card are D's and F's like the almighty Pickerington and Deleware. Shame, shame, shame!
Old 09-14-17, 02:39 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
There is nothing wrong with how they do the district seeding goes. Over the years we have seen upsets and there is years where the district is just not good, and the number one seed rolls into the regional. Come on everybody, quit complaining just to be complaining. Talk about something else like when kids leave their district just to go play in another district because they got all the perks. Lets Talk about how suburbs and rural schools state grad card are D's and F's like the almighty Pickerington and Deleware. Shame, shame, shame!
Why would we talk about that on a basketball forum?
Old 09-14-17, 04:25 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
Not sure if you even realize it but feedings are completely different all over the state. This thread I believe is mainly geared towards southwest , where there aren't any districts in the traditional sense of the word, meaning schools are assigned to a district that stays mainly the same from year to year. In SWO teams pick and choose where they want to play in almost the entire regional bracket come tournament time. I say almost because the region is broken into 8 sectionals, 5 Cincinnati and 3 Dayton I believe is the breakdown. Dayton schools must pick their spots in Dayton and Cincinnati in Cincinnati. But that's pretty much the only restrictions for the entire region. Outside of that it's basically a free for all.

This proposal would theoretically get rid of all that and establish a definitive structure to it all. That's why it's being discussed here.
Old 09-18-17, 11:24 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Not sure if you even realize it but feedings are completely different all over the state. This thread I believe is mainly geared towards southwest , where there aren't any districts in the traditional sense of the word, meaning schools are assigned to a district that stays mainly the same from year to year. In SWO teams pick and choose where they want to play in almost the entire regional bracket come tournament time. I say almost because the region is broken into 8 sectionals, 5 Cincinnati and 3 Dayton I believe is the breakdown. Dayton schools must pick their spots in Dayton and Cincinnati in Cincinnati. But that's pretty much the only restrictions for the entire region. Outside of that it's basically a free for all.

This proposal would theoretically get rid of all that and establish a definitive structure to it all. That's why it's being discussed here.
I get it! Columbus is not like that! I think it is like that in the Dayton and Cincinnati areas because there are so many high schools. DI in the Columbus region one team gets to the final four. You can pick what bracket you want to go in. In DII, there is only like 26 teams broke down into two Regionals. One goes to Dayton while the other goes to Athens. Nobody from Columbus has ever won the Dayton Regional so look at it as good thing. This is high school, the SWO should try it like the Columbus district. I am sure y'all see upset regardless how they do it.
Old 09-18-17, 11:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Why would we talk about that on a basketball forum?
We should talk about it because these kids are not getting prepared for college to even play a college sport, which this form is basketball. Good luck with the seedings. In Columbus how they seed and pick which way to go is awesome!
Old 09-18-17, 12:33 PM
All District

That has nothing to do with a school's state "grad" card of D and F. What does Delaware's state grade card have to do with the basketball program?
Old 09-19-17, 01:54 PM
All Region

You right! Columbus don't have these problems as far as seeding goes in the district. Tough luck to your district and good luck!
Old 09-19-17, 08:10 PM
All District

You are clueless to the district I support. I would only say leave the seeding alone. Let the coaches decide.
Old 09-21-17, 06:50 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
There isn't support in the SW District to change the way they do the seeding. It is people outside the district who want to change the way the seeding is done in the SW[or other districts that use that system] They don't like it and for some reason or other have a problem that those districts use it.

I don't understand the problem; seems to me that letting the schools decide in a district how to run their tournament is not only fair, but is reasonable. The score disparity argument is a red herring.
Old 09-26-17, 06:55 AM
All District

Score disparity has only become an issue or major concern in recent years. I support good sportsmanship and would hope to see coaches and players do the same on lopsided games. If there is action that gets out of hand and the powers wish to make changes to the game once the difference in a score is to great, my vote is to make it simple and stop the game.
Old 09-30-17, 09:10 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
No notes from the board meeting on the mercy rule issue. What happened?
Old 10-03-17, 01:18 PM
Varsity

farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
wonder if it got tabled for another meeting or shot down completely.
Old 10-07-17, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
In regards to this traditional seeding method, I believe it's only for the Northeast District. However what I'd like to see NEDAB consider is re-seeding after each round. This would mean that if there were to be any "upsets" in the sectional semifinal games, the #1 seed would get to play the lowest remaining seed in the sectional final. Re-seeding could then occur again heading into the district semifinals.
Old 10-07-17, 07:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
In regards to this traditional seeding method, I believe it's only for the Northeast District. However what I'd like to see NEDAB consider is re-seeding after each round. This would mean that if there were to be any "upsets" in the sectional semifinal games, the #1 seed would get to play the lowest remaining seed in the sectional final. Re-seeding could then occur again heading into the district semifinals.
I don't like that.
Old 10-07-17, 09:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't like that.
I figured it wouldn't be popular with some and truthfully if I could make one change to the NEDAB tournament format this probably wouldn't even be in my top 3 (though if I could make several changes this would definitely be part of a comprehensive plan). Just curious what about it don't you like?
Old 10-07-17, 09:27 PM
All World

Quote:
I figured it wouldn't be popular with some and truthfully if I could make one change to the NEDAB tournament format this probably wouldn't even be in my top 3 (though if I could make several changes this would definitely be part of a comprehensive plan). Just curious what about it don't you like?
You make it damn near impossible for a low seed to make a run. They upset someone and you reward them with the hardest team left every time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-17, 07:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You make it damn near impossible for a low seed to make a run. They upset someone and you reward them with the hardest team left every time.

Fair enough. I guess I just don't look at the tournament as needing to be a vehicle for low seeds to make runs (I feel the same way about the NCAA Tournament). My preference is to create a format that gives us the best chance for the strongest 64 teams in the state to still be alive in the district semifinals, the strongest 32 still alive for the district finals, the strongest 16 heading on to the regional semifinals and so on. I want the tournament that determines the state champion (and that awards several other pieces of hardware along the way) to reward teams as much as possible for their regular season performances. Otherwise we may as well use a tournament format where team names are put into a hat and randomly pulled out and put into a bracket. The FA Cup (soccer) and other professional sports tournaments use this format, so it's not unprecedented.

Now obviously due to geographic restrictions and seeding abnormalities, you'll never have the 16 strongest teams in the state playing in the regional semifinals, but in regards to what can be controlled--the structure of the tournaments on the district level--I'd like to see those district boards do what they can to help ensure that stronger teams can advance as far as possible before meeting up. IMO, it's unfortunate that NEDAB has different priorities.
Old 10-08-17, 08:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Fair enough. I guess I just don't look at the tournament as needing to be a vehicle for low seeds to make runs (I feel the same way about the NCAA Tournament). My preference is to create a format that gives us the best chance for the strongest 64 teams in the state to still be alive in the district semifinals, the strongest 32 still alive for the district finals, the strongest 16 heading on to the regional semifinals and so on. I want the tournament that determines the state champion (and that awards several other pieces of hardware along the way) to reward teams as much as possible for their regular season performances. Otherwise we may as well use a tournament format where team names are put into a hat and randomly pulled out and put into a bracket. The FA Cup (soccer) and other professional sports tournaments use this format, so it's not unprecedented.

Now obviously due to geographic restrictions and seeding abnormalities, you'll never have the 16 strongest teams in the state playing in the regional semifinals, but in regards to what can be controlled--the structure of the tournaments on the district level--I'd like to see those district boards do what they can to help ensure that stronger teams can advance as far as possible before meeting up. IMO, it's unfortunate that NEDAB has different priorities.
You should look up what Pennsylvania does. Each district has their own playoff. I believe they are up to 13 districts right now. From there each district sends their top teams to the state playoffs. Each district gets to send a different amount of teams based on the size of the district. So some may get to send 6 or 7, while others only get 1 or 2. The entire pool of teams are then seated based on their district finishes. I think this format is more of what you're looking for, as it creates the highest chance of the best teams making it the furthest in the tournament, minus the continuous "punishment" your idea puts on the lowest seeds each round.

With this format you could technically end up with two schools playing for the state championship that are direct neighbors, since it removes the geographic restrictions Ohio puts on itself. And it has happened quite often in the 100 or whatever years of their tournament. Picture Moeller vs St X for the state championship trophy. The downside is the logistics and increased amount of games, both of which means increased costs for everyone involved. Lower seeded teams coming out of a district located on one side of the state could end up playing their remaining games in the state tournament on the other side of the state. That's their punishment for being a lower seed. And since bigger districts need to find more than just a 1st and 2nd place team, they have to have more games to find 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.

I've brought this idea up on this board before and besides the basic resistance to change most everyone seems to have, their biggest complaint is they don't like the fact that the playoffs as a whole doesn't have a one and done format. A team could have a loss in the district tpurnament, but because their district sends more than one team to states, they could still win a state championship. I've seen a team lose in the district final and end up playing that same team in the state championship, only to get revenge and win the 2nd time. (Look up the storied rivalry between Chester and Lower Merion)

Last edited by Philly_Cat; 10-08-17 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-08-17, 08:56 AM
All World

Oh, they also don't let every team make the post season. I believe the cutoff is at 50% That's how they get away with a longer playoff format. Because there are less teams.

Old 10-08-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Picture Moeller vs St X for the state championship trophy.
Haven't they actually met in the state championship game? I know for certain there have been instances where they have both been in Columbus in the same year for the state Final Four. This is made possible due to SWDAB loose seeding format and the fact that one of the districts feeds into the Columbus region (or at least that used to be the case).

Quote:
I've seen a team lose in the district final and end up playing that same team in the state championship, only to get revenge and win the 2nd time. (Look up the storied rivalry between Chester and Lower Merion)
Interesting. It sounds like the district championship is almost a separate tournament from the state tournament. As you might imagine, I would also support giving top teams a "mulligan" in the tournament, possibly through a double-loss elimination format, but not necessarily in the later rounds.
Old 10-08-17, 10:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Haven't they actually met in the state championship game? I know for certain there have been instances where they have both been in Columbus in the same year for the state Final Four. This is made possible due to SWDAB loose seeding format and the fact that one of the districts feeds into the Columbus region (or at least that used to be the case).

Interesting. It sounds like the district championship is almost a separate tournament from the state tournament. As you might imagine, I would also support giving top teams a "mulligan" in the tournament, possibly through a double-loss elimination format, but not necessarily in the later rounds.
I've offered up the idea of having the state tournament consists of the final 4 teams from each region, essentially the 16 district champs. The 1 seed from one region would play the 4 seed from another region, the 2 playing a 3. That way you don't have to overhaul the entire playoff system and you still address the geographical issue.

And when I say I've offered up the idea I mean here on yappi, not to anyone of importance lol

Old 10-10-17, 07:29 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
No notes from the board meeting on the mercy rule issue. What happened?
It will be used this season in tournament. Running clock anytime the score difference reaches 35pts.
Old 10-10-17, 10:44 AM
Junior Varsity

Talk some sense is on a distinguished road
Top 4 in region to State

I'm having some deja vu' but I think I've said this before. Philly, love a lot of your comments, but giving a team on a 2 game losing streak a trip to State just sounds weird to me.
Old 10-10-17, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Haven't they actually met in the state championship game? ..................
Moe/X in the 2007 state finals
Old 10-11-17, 02:14 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As you might imagine, I would also support giving top teams a "mulligan" in the tournament, possibly through a double-loss elimination format, but not necessarily in the later rounds.
What is a 'top team', how many 'top teams' would there be, and who would determine them?