Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-02-17, 04:46 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Evidence suggests life on Earth started after meteorites splashed into warm little ponds

Read more:
https://phys.org/news/2017-10-eviden...ashed.html#jCp
And the reason that this is so important is that if meteorite bombardment is the path to life then life will be almost everywhere in the cosmos!
Old 10-02-17, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I would be surprised if life isn't everywhere. Seems like carbon is fated to give way to life when the right chemical conditions are in place.

Last edited by Crusaders; 10-02-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-03-17, 07:12 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
I would be surprised if life isn't everywhere. Seems like carbon is fated to give way to life when the right chemical conditions are in place.
I agree. I suspect life is beyond ubiquitous and occupies every nook & corner it can. It's diversity among the stars is probably off the charts.
Old 10-03-17, 07:16 AM
All Yappi

Congratulations are in order for these scientists for winning the Noble Price in Physics:

https://www.space.com/38347-3-scient...nal-waves.html

About 1.3 billion years ago, two black holes slammed into each other, sending ripples in space-time through the cosmos. Three scientists who were integral in detecting these so-called gravitational waves for the first time were awarded this year's Nobel Prize in physics this morning (Oct. 3).

Rainer Weiss of MIT, Kip S. Thorne of Caltech and Barry C. Barish, also at Caltech, "have ensured that more than four decades of effort led to gravitational waves finally being observed," according to NobelPrize.org.

We do indeed live in an age of wonders.
Old 10-05-17, 08:34 AM
All Yappi

Sometimes it's important to remember and honor the past:

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/c...the-space-age/

We've come a long way since Sputnik!

The launch of Sputnik produced the “Sputnik crisis,” in which the U.S. feared that it was falling behind the Soviet Union in science education and missile technology. This led to greatly increased investment in science and technology education through the National Defense Education Act, the creation of NASA, DARPA, the “missile gap” issue in the 1960 presidential election, and the race to put a man on the moon.

Today, with all the planets explored at least once by space probes and rovers tootling about on the surface of Mars; with Voyager I, launched in 1977, now beyond the heliopause, where the solar wind dissipates and where true interstellar space begins; with myriad space-based technologies such as weather satellites and GPS taken for granted, the dawn of the space age seems very distant in time. But, along with the microprocessor, it created the world in which we now live.
Old 10-05-17, 06:59 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The probability of extraterrestrial life might be different if life was based on a rare element, but it's not...carbon is one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

My question is: How close are we to finding extraterrestrial life? Within my lifetime? Or not for another thousand years? Given the size of the universe and the limits to our technology, it could go either way, IMO.
Old 10-05-17, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

Depends on the level of life. I'm sure we'll find microbes as soon as we get to Mars or investigate some of the crazier moons of Jupiter or Saturn.
Old 10-05-17, 09:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
The probability of extraterrestrial life might be different if life was based on a rare element, but it's not...carbon is one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

My question is: How close are we to finding extraterrestrial life? Within my lifetime? Or not for another thousand years? Given the size of the universe and the limits to our technology, it could go either way, IMO.
I agree with crusaders that we'll find proof of life on Mars and a couple of the gas giant moons. Like you say though it may be a long time before we get hard evidence of sentient life off earth.
Old 10-05-17, 09:21 PM
All Yappi

It's been a while since we've read a good article on Dark Energy so here goes:

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-rese...of-empty-space

The Universe is still growing though by all rights it should be shrinking!

For over 20 years, physicists have puzzled over why space appears to be flying apart at the seams.

New research is adding some deeper insight into the mysterious repulsive force known as dark energy, providing evidence that whatever it might be, its ghostly influence hasn't been constant over time.

Now here's a sentence from the article guaranteed to either blow your mind or qualify as dialogue for Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory:

In this model, dark energy is the constant push of emptiness between masses, possibly caused by the hiss of particles popping in and out of virtual existence.

Say what!
Old 10-06-17, 06:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I agree with crusaders that we'll find proof of life on Mars and a couple of the gas giant moons. Like you say though it may be a long time before we get hard evidence of sentient life off earth.
I would be happy if we found evidence of even simple microbial life. Heck, humans may become extinct before we find intelligent life.

Another question: If we find evidence of simple life in other parts of our Solar System, what does that say, if anything, about how life began? What if the life found on Mars or Enceladus is very similar to the life found on Earth, i.e. dispersed throughout the Solar System via the panspermia hypothesis? We still wouldn't know how life began or if it just happened once in the universe. It would be another huge step in understanding the origin of life, but still would not entirely answer all the questions. This much I do know: science is getting closer and closer to the answers.

Last edited by BlackHawk; 10-06-17 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 08:50 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's been a while since we've read a good article on Dark Energy so here goes:

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-rese...of-empty-space

The Universe is still growing though by all rights it should be shrinking!

For over 20 years, physicists have puzzled over why space appears to be flying apart at the seams.

New research is adding some deeper insight into the mysterious repulsive force known as dark energy, providing evidence that whatever it might be, its ghostly influence hasn't been constant over time.

Now here's a sentence from the article guaranteed to either blow your mind or qualify as dialogue for Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory:

In this model, dark energy is the constant push of emptiness between masses, possibly caused by the hiss of particles popping in and out of virtual existence.

Say what!
Thanks to your warning, I was pretty good until we got to "virtual existence". I wonder how 'virtual' is being used in this case. And, for that matter, what causes the "hiss" and what is it. Maybe, it's better if I don't know... :P
Old 10-06-17, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I would be happy if we found evidence of even simple microbial life. Heck, humans may become extinct before we find intelligent life.

Another question: If we find evidence of simple life in other parts of our Solar System, what does that say, if anything, about how life began? What if the life found on Mars or Enceladus is very similar to the life found on Earth, i.e. dispersed throughout the Solar System via the panspermia hypothesis? We still wouldn't know how life began or if it just happened once in the universe. It would be another huge step in understanding the origin of life, but still would not entirely answer all the questions. This much I do know: science is getting closer and closer to the answers.
I think the discovery of life anywhere else in the solar system significantly increases the statistical probability that life exists in abundance throughout the universe. Even if the nature of the life exhibits pan-system similarities it has to indicate that life is a common occurrence.
Old 10-07-17, 11:15 AM
All World

Quote:
I think the discovery of life anywhere else in the solar system significantly increases the statistical probability that life exists in abundance throughout the universe. Even if the nature of the life exhibits pan-system similarities it has to indicate that life is a common occurrence.
Especially if life is found on one of Jupiter or Saturn's moons. Those moons should be way outside the so-called Goldilocks Zone, i.e. the region that can sustain liquid water and adequate air pressure, essential for life as we know it. Stay tuned.
Old 10-10-17, 09:14 AM
All Yappi

Now this is interesting:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1006154947.htm

A recent international report examines observations by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) of massive deposits in a basin on southern Mars. The authors interpret the data as evidence that these deposits were formed by heated water from a volcanically active part of the planet's crust entering the bottom of a large sea long ago.

The key here is "...bottom of a large seas.."

The researchers estimate the ancient Eridania sea held about 50,000 cubic miles (210,000 cubic kilometers) of water. That is as much as all other lakes and seas on ancient Mars combined and about nine times more than the combined volume of all of North America's Great Lakes. The mix of minerals identified from the spectrometer data, including serpentine, talc and carbonate, and the shape and texture of the thick bedrock layers, led to identifying possible seafloor hydrothermal deposits. The area has lava flows that post-date the disappearance of the sea. The researchers cite these as evidence that this is an area of Mars' crust with a volcanic susceptibility that also could have produced effects earlier, when the sea was present.

The new work adds to the diversity of types of wet environments for which evidence exists on Mars, including rivers, lakes, deltas, seas, hot springs, groundwater, and volcanic eruptions beneath ice.

"Ancient, deep-water hydrothermal deposits in Eridania basin represent a new category of astrobiological target on Mars," the report states.

That's a lot of water in one place and when combined with volcanic activity.....I suspect we'll find fossils here.
Old 10-11-17, 07:49 AM
All Yappi

I like that they're working on this, let's just hope they got the math right!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/close-cal...142933732.html

A house-size asteroid will give Earth a near-miss Thursday, passing harmlessly inside the Moon's orbit while giving experts a rare chance to rehearse for a real-life strike threat.

Dubbed 2012 TC4, the space rock will shave past at an altitude of less than 44,000 kilometres (27,300 miles) -- just above the 36,000-km plane at which hundreds of geosynchronous satellites orbit the Earth.

That represents about an eighth of the distance between the Earth and the Moon.

NASA's Mike Kelley, who leads the exercise to spot, track and intimately probe the transient visitor, insisted there was "no danger. Not even for satellites".

Let's hope that practice makes perfect!

What makes TC4 special is that it has been chosen to test the global asteroid pre-warning system, fed by a network of observatories, universities and labs around the world.

The asteroid's close approach will allow teams to evaluate how accurate they were in predicting its orbit and size, while using telescopes to learn more about its composition.

"For us this is a test case," said Jehn's colleague Detlef Koschny. "We are practicing for the real serious case."
Old 10-13-17, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I like that they're working on this, let's just hope they got the math right!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/close-cal...142933732.html

A house-size asteroid will give Earth a near-miss Thursday, passing harmlessly inside the Moon's orbit while giving experts a rare chance to rehearse for a real-life strike threat.

Dubbed 2012 TC4, the space rock will shave past at an altitude of less than 44,000 kilometres (27,300 miles) -- just above the 36,000-km plane at which hundreds of geosynchronous satellites orbit the Earth.

That represents about an eighth of the distance between the Earth and the Moon.

NASA's Mike Kelley, who leads the exercise to spot, track and intimately probe the transient visitor, insisted there was "no danger. Not even for satellites".

Let's hope that practice makes perfect!

What makes TC4 special is that it has been chosen to test the global asteroid pre-warning system, fed by a network of observatories, universities and labs around the world.

The asteroid's close approach will allow teams to evaluate how accurate they were in predicting its orbit and size, while using telescopes to learn more about its composition.

"For us this is a test case," said Jehn's colleague Detlef Koschny. "We are practicing for the real serious case."
I guess it came closer then we thought it would!

https://www.cnet.com/news/asteroid-2...rth-2079-2017/

And they're saying that when it circles back on us in 2079 it might smack us upside the head! Hopefully by this time we'll be quite good at swatting these things from the sky.
Old 10-13-17, 02:42 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Planet Nine could be our solar system's missing 'Super Earth'

Quote:
Planet Nine is out there, and astronomers are determined to find it, according to a new statement from NASA. In fact, mounting evidence suggests it's hard to imagine our solar system without the unseen world.

The hypothetical planet is believed to be about 10 times more massive than Earth and located in the dark, outer reaches of the solar system, approximately 20 times farther from the sun than Neptune is. While the mysterious world still has yet to be found, astronomers have discovered a number of strange features of our solar system that are best explained by the presence of a ninth planet, according to the NASA statement.
Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/...per-earth.html
Old 10-13-17, 03:24 PM
All Yappi

Curious why they chose to call it a Super Earth. Super Earths are large rocky planets with a stars Goldilocks Zone.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-17, 06:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Curious why they chose to call it a Super Earth. Super Earths are large rocky planets with a stars Goldilocks Zone.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The last paragraph from the article somewhat explains:

The most common type of planets discovered around other stars in our galaxy has been what astronomers call "super Earths" — rocky worlds that are larger than Earth but smaller than Neptune. However, no such planet has yet been discovered in our solar system, meaning that Planet Nine could be our missing "super Earth," the researchers said.

In this case, I think the term super-Earth must only refer to the mass of Planet Nine: more massive than Earth, but somewhat less massive than Uranus or Neptune. I imagine it could be either a rocky planet or a gas-dwarf, but it's clearly not in the Goldilocks Zone.
Old 10-15-17, 07:57 PM
All Yappi

Now here's some interesting news: They're making real progress on developing ION ENGINES. Plasma propulsion is the way to go for deep space exploration.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/1...of-thrust.html

The X3 thruster was designed by researchers at the University of Michigan in cooperation with NASA and the U.S. Air Force. It is a Hall thruster — a system that propels spacecraft by accelerating a stream of electrically charged atoms, known as ions. In the recent demonstration conducted at NASA’s Glenn Research Center in Ohio, the X3 broke records for the maximum power output, thrust and operating current achieved by a Hall thruster to date, according to the research team at the University of Michigan and representatives from NASA.

* X3 can operate at over 100 kW of power
* operated at a huge range of power from 5 kW to 102 kW, with electrical current of up to 260 amperes.
* It generated 5.4 Newtons of thrust, which is the highest level of thrust achieved by any plasma thruster to date. The previous record was 3.3 Newtons

The maximum velocity that can be achieved by a chemical rocket is about 5 kilometers per second, a Hall thruster could get a craft up to 40 kilometers per second.

It has ten times the ISP (fuel efficiency for space) of a chemical rocket.
Old 10-16-17, 08:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The last paragraph from the article somewhat explains:

The most common type of planets discovered around other stars in our galaxy has been what astronomers call "super Earths" — rocky worlds that are larger than Earth but smaller than Neptune. However, no such planet has yet been discovered in our solar system, meaning that Planet Nine could be our missing "super Earth," the researchers said.

In this case, I think the term super-Earth must only refer to the mass of Planet Nine: more massive than Earth, but somewhat less massive than Uranus or Neptune. I imagine it could be either a rocky planet or a gas-dwarf, but it's clearly not in the Goldilocks Zone.
I wonder if it's a high gravity world? While it's very massive is it also dense? It must be a strange place to be so big out so far from the sun and not be a gas giant. Will this be our future jumping off place for interstellar journy's?
Old 10-16-17, 08:12 PM
All Yappi

Here's an update about that big neutron star collision in deep space:

https://www.space.com/38469-gravitat...very-ligo.html

For the first time ever, scientists have spotted both gravitational waves and light coming from the same cosmic event — in this case, the cataclysmic merger of two superdense stellar corpses known as neutron stars.

The landmark discovery initiates the field of "multimessenger astrophysics," which promises to reveal exciting new insights about the cosmos, researchers said. The find also provides the first solid evidence that neutron-star smashups are the source of much of the universe's gold, platinum and other heavy elements.

Astronomers seem pretty excited about the whole thing and not just the alchemy part:

How do researchers describe the finding? "Superlatives fail," said Richard O'Shaughnessy, a scientist with the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) project.

"This is a transformation in the way that we're going to do astronomy," O'Shaughnessy, who's based at the Rochester Institute of Technology's Center for Computational Relativity and Gravitation, told Space.com. "It's fantastic."
Old 10-17-17, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

Here is an interesting article on earth orbit space hazards including military clashes:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-battleground

While officials once aspired to treat space as a peaceful refuge from the strife on Earth, it’s now “congested, contested and competitive”-- and “all three of those trends are trending upward,” General John W. “Jay” Raymond, the head of the Air Force Space Command, said in an interview Monday at Bloomberg headquarters in New York.

From jamming and cyber attacks to “kinetic destruction,” there’s a “full range of threats” to U.S. early warning, Global Positioning System and communications satellites, Raymond said. Those threats come from economic and military rivals like China and Russia and include the increasing accumulation of debris orbiting the planet.

“Our goal is not to have conflict in space,” said Raymond. “We want to deter that conflict from happening,” but “space is not a benign domain. It’s a war-fighting domain and we need to treat it as such.”

Obviously no one wants a shooting war in space but human beings are hard wired for conflict so the risk is very real. The best outcome IMO is sort of a "cold war" in space where nations striving to maintain military preparedness spurs technological growth and we see a boom (figuratively NOT literally) in exploiting space. This would fit nicely alongside the recent commercial explosion in Space exploration and provide a well needed infusion of cash into the emerging private space company's coffers.
Old 10-17-17, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Here's an update about that big neutron star collision in deep space:

https://www.space.com/38469-gravitat...very-ligo.html

For the first time ever, scientists have spotted both gravitational waves and light coming from the same cosmic event — in this case, the cataclysmic merger of two superdense stellar corpses known as neutron stars.

The landmark discovery initiates the field of "multimessenger astrophysics," which promises to reveal exciting new insights about the cosmos, researchers said. The find also provides the first solid evidence that neutron-star smashups are the source of much of the universe's gold, platinum and other heavy elements.

Astronomers seem pretty excited about the whole thing and not just the alchemy part:

How do researchers describe the finding? "Superlatives fail," said Richard O'Shaughnessy, a scientist with the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) project.

"This is a transformation in the way that we're going to do astronomy," O'Shaughnessy, who's based at the Rochester Institute of Technology's Center for Computational Relativity and Gravitation, told Space.com. "It's fantastic."
Here's some amazing pictures from the collision of the Neutron Stars:

https://www.space.com/38481-collidin...-pictures.html
Old 10-17-17, 06:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Here's some amazing pictures from the collision of the Neutron Stars:

https://www.space.com/38481-collidin...-pictures.html
Truly amazing. A kilonova was detected 130 million light-years from Earth.

Kilonova? I added a new word to my "space" vocabulary. I've heard of novas, supernovas and even hypernovas...and now kilonovas (a collision of neutron stars).
Old 10-18-17, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

Okay here is something that the physicists say can't work but it actually might:

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/1...re-thrust.html

A radio frequency (RF) resonant cavity thruster, EmDrive, is a controversial proposed type of propellentless electromagnetic thruster with a microwave cavity, designed to produce thrust from an electromagnetic field inside the cavity.

Researchers José Croca and Paulo Castro from the Centre for Philosophy of Sciences of the University of Lisbon in Portugal suggest that not only could pilot wave theory explain the mysterious behavior of the EM drive, it could help to make it even more powerful.

Applying a pilot wave theory to NASA’s EM drive frustum [or cone] could explain its thrust without involving any external action applied to the system, as Newton’s third law would require.
Old 10-18-17, 06:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Truly amazing. A kilonova was detected 130 million light-years from Earth.

Kilonova? I added a new word to my "space" vocabulary. I've heard of novas, supernovas and even hypernovas...and now kilonovas (a collision of neutron stars).
To think we are watching and sort of understanding things that are going on hundreds of millions of light years away is humbling. We have come a long way since we were gnawing on Mammoth bones!
Old 10-19-17, 10:53 AM
All District

superduper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To think we are watching and sort of understanding things that are going on hundreds of millions of light years away is humbling. We have come a long way since we were gnawing on Mammoth bones!
Yeah, but I still miss Pluto.......
Old 10-19-17, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper View Post
Yeah, but I still miss Pluto.......
I don't care how many astronomers want to call Pluto a big moon - it will ALWAYS be a planet in my eyes!
Old 10-19-17, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

Now here's something neat that suggests we might be closer to building a permanent home on the moon then we thought:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...sation-of-moon

Scientists have fantasised for centuries about humans colonising the moon. That day may have drawn a little closer after Japan’s space agency said it had discovered an enormous cave beneath the lunar surface that could be turned into an exploration base for astronauts.

The discovery, by Japan’s Selenological and Engineering Explorer (Selene) probe, comes as several countries vie to follow the US in sending manned missions to the moon.

Using a radar sounder system that can examine underground structures, the orbiter initially found an opening 50 metres wide and 50 metres deep, prompting speculation that there could be a larger hollow.

This week scientists at the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (Jaxa) confirmed the presence of a cave after examining the hole using radio waves.

The chasm, 50km (31 miles) long and 100 metres wide, appears to be structurally sound and its rocks may contain ice or water deposits that could be turned into fuel, according to data sent back by the orbiter, nicknamed Kaguya after the moon princess in a Japanese fairytale.

I wonder if this is a case of the first one to get to the cave owns the cave?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: