Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-28-17, 10:02 PM
Varsity

soccerfan63 is on a distinguished road
One thing that has not been mentioned here is the importance of players developing as well-rounded players with a variety of skills. Far too often, players are designated as "defenders" or "strikers" at an early age, and don't learn all aspects of the game. Being able to dribble with confidence in order to take on a defender does not happen if all your child is doing is playing in the back. Learning to tackle and cut down passing lanes will not naturally occur for players who are taught to get the ball and go to goal. While many clubs and trainers will say this at the beginning of the season meeting, it often does not happen in the attempt to win games. Find a trainer that develops players for the long term and not short term gain.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-17, 04:09 PM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfan63 View Post
One thing that has not been mentioned here is the importance of players developing as well-rounded players with a variety of skills. Far too often, players are designated as "defenders" or "strikers" at an early age, and don't learn all aspects of the game. Being able to dribble with confidence in order to take on a defender does not happen if all your child is doing is playing in the back. Learning to tackle and cut down passing lanes will not naturally occur for players who are taught to get the ball and go to goal. While many clubs and trainers will say this at the beginning of the season meeting, it often does not happen in the attempt to win games. Find a trainer that develops players for the long term and not short term gain.
I agree. Teach the fundamentals for everyone. This includes 1st touch, dribbling, skill moves and basic tactics of attacking AND defending. I've seen it many times where a player started out as a forward or defensive minded player, only to discover that there's an aptitude to switch positions later. If that player did not have the fundamentals, this would not have been possible. Also, for those that have collegiate ambitions, the more positions that a player can excel at, the more marketable that player will be
Old 10-30-17, 01:38 PM
Junior Varsity

5x26 is on a distinguished road
Soccerfan63, agreed. My middle daughter has spent the last 4 years playing all over, put in all kinds of situations against all levels of teams. At first I was kinda frustrated but it has developed her into a pretty darn decent all around player, who gets used in all types of situations for the betterment of the team now because she can. In hind sight it often cost us the win taking her out of the best position possible, but her coaches were more concerned with development of players than winning.

Many years ago in a tournament we were beating a top team in the spring we had struggled with in the fall, from a club I know he, the kids, and the parents wanted to win against. 3 fairly easy quick goals with kids in the best positions and he decided that since we had missed some practices due to weather and we did not have a team this good on the schedule for the rest of the season, he decided he was going make it a "scrimmage" and put kids in tough situations and work on development. They lost 6-5 on a last second direct kick caused by a kid who never really played Center Back.

As she's moved on to the next level of both her and the Clubs development system, I can look back and really appreciate what the club was doing.

Iniesta, It's not always clear but that's why I say trust the process.

My Current U11 is really not a defender, her mind doesn't naturally work like that. But they are forcing the issue by making her learn it. She's seriously fast, willing shoot from anywhere and has a pretty healthy shot. 3 things her team could possibly use more of up top, but she's being forced to learn something new.

Knowing what I know, from seeing what I've seen first hand I am satisfied with it. Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: