Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #1  
Old 06-13-19, 11:59 AM
D1nwobb D1nwobb is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-02-17
Posts: 99
D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
New Division Assignments

Just posted by OHSAA. Akron SVSM back to D2.
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-13-19, 12:04 PM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 4,113
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1nwobb View Post
Just posted by OHSAA. Akron SVSM back to D2.
The highlight of the post.

https://ohsaa.org/Sports-Tournaments...ll-Division-II
  #3  
Old 06-13-19, 01:58 PM
cincyhoops cincyhoops is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-23-06
Posts: 2,511
cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1nwobb View Post
Just posted by OHSAA. Akron SVSM back to D2.
Yes because they changed the competitive balance calculations. They only count varsity teams now, not all 3 levels.
  #4  
Old 06-13-19, 02:15 PM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 4,113
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Yes because they changed the competitive balance calculations. They only count varsity teams now, not all 3 levels.
You sound like you have an opinion. Do you agree or disagree with this?
  #5  
Old 06-13-19, 02:19 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,926
Auggie is on a distinguished road
And Benedictine back up to Div I.
  #6  
Old 06-13-19, 02:47 PM
Localfan Localfan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-02-18
Posts: 234
Localfan is on a distinguished road
St.V Sued for them to be moved back to D2
  #7  
Old 06-14-19, 11:59 AM
BusinessEnd BusinessEnd is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-29-02
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,154
BusinessEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Yes because they changed the competitive balance calculations. They only count varsity teams now, not all 3 levels.
Varsity only competitive balance calculations start with the 20-21 fall season. This 19-20 season is still on the old calculation using every level.
  #8  
Old 06-14-19, 12:36 PM
SC868889 SC868889 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-23-19
Posts: 5
SC868889 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
St.V Sued for them to be moved back to D2

Please site your source. I am not sure losing by 8 points in the DI State Championship game when you have the lowest enrollment of all the schools in the DI AND DII final 4 is worthy of a lawsuit.
  #9  
Old 06-14-19, 01:03 PM
ilikefootball10 ilikefootball10 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-06-09
Posts: 674
ilikefootball10 is on a distinguished road
Taft to D3 should be interesting.
  #10  
Old 06-14-19, 01:35 PM
cincyhoops cincyhoops is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-23-06
Posts: 2,511
cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessEnd View Post
Varsity only competitive balance calculations start with the 20-21 fall season. This 19-20 season is still on the old calculation using every level.
Oh... well when that happens even more private schools will move down. Not sure how the publics got fleeced into voting for that. Bump up the number from 5 to 7 but only count 1/3 of the players that you were before. Anyone that can do math knows that lessens the effect of competitive balance.
  #11  
Old 06-14-19, 02:43 PM
Localfan Localfan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-02-18
Posts: 234
Localfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC868889 View Post
Please site your source. I am not sure losing by 8 points in the DI State Championship game when you have the lowest enrollment of all the schools in the DI AND DII final 4 is worthy of a lawsuit.
I'm pretty sure making it to the State Championship and losing by 8 isn't just caused to be dropped back down to division 2 with so a called competitive balance structure
  #12  
Old 06-14-19, 04:19 PM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 4,113
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
St.V Sued for them to be moved back to D2
Sarcasm alert.
  #13  
Old 06-14-19, 07:19 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 1,199
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Oh... well when that happens even more private schools will move down. Not sure how the publics got fleeced into voting for that. Bump up the number from 5 to 7 but only count 1/3 of the players that you were before. Anyone that can do math knows that lessens the effect of competitive balance.
It is only a rule that impacts a tournament. Logical to not include kids that have no impact on the said tournament.
  #14  
Old 06-14-19, 08:23 PM
SC868889 SC868889 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-23-19
Posts: 5
SC868889 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
I'm pretty sure making it to the State Championship and losing by 8 isn't just caused to be dropped back down to division 2 with so a called competitive balance structure
I am pretty sure they don't care what Division they play. They proved that last year. Competitive balance is what it is - just math.
  #15  
Old 06-14-19, 09:17 PM
cincyhoops cincyhoops is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-23-06
Posts: 2,511
cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
It is only a rule that impacts a tournament. Logical to not include kids that have no impact on the said tournament.
Then increase the multiplier because itís not going to do much only counting varsity teams.
  #16  
Old 06-15-19, 01:39 AM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 4,113
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Yes because they changed the competitive balance calculations. They only count varsity teams now, not all 3 levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
You sound like you have an opinion. Do you agree or disagree with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Oh... well when that happens even more private schools will move down. Not sure how the publics got fleeced into voting for that. Bump up the number from 5 to 7 but only count 1/3 of the players that you were before. Anyone that can do math knows that lessens the effect of competitive balance.
Thereís the answer to my question.
  #17  
Old 06-15-19, 12:56 PM
spirit454 spirit454 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-02-08
Posts: 627
spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Oh... well when that happens even more private schools will move down. Not sure how the publics got fleeced into voting for that. Bump up the number from 5 to 7 but only count 1/3 of the players that you were before. Anyone that can do math knows that lessens the effect of competitive balance.
In fact I can see this doing the opposite of what you think. Many of the private school transfers are on a varsity roster while many public open enrollment schools would have kids playing at the lower levels that add to their CB numbers. This could inflate private schools even more as the publics CB numbers will probably decline greater than the private's.
  #18  
Old 06-15-19, 01:48 PM
cincyhoops cincyhoops is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-23-06
Posts: 2,511
cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
In fact I can see this doing the opposite of what you think. Many of the private school transfers are on a varsity roster while many public open enrollment schools would have kids playing at the lower levels that add to their CB numbers. This could inflate private schools even more as the publics CB numbers will probably decline greater than the private's.
It’s not just transfers that count, it’s any kid that comes from a public school district. There are plenty of those kids on frosh, jv and varsity teams. So you are increasing the multiplier by 40% (5 to 7) but you are cutting the number of kids you are applying it to by 67% (3 teams to 1 team). Simple math tells my the overall competitive balance total of most private schools in basketball is going to decrease.
  #19  
Old 06-17-19, 10:25 PM
spirit454 spirit454 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-02-08
Posts: 627
spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Itís not just transfers that count, itís any kid that comes from a public school district. There are plenty of those kids on frosh, jv and varsity teams. So you are increasing the multiplier by 40% (5 to 7) but you are cutting the number of kids you are applying it to by 67% (3 teams to 1 team). Simple math tells my the overall competitive balance total of most private schools in basketball is going to decrease.
I guess you would have to look at where the school's (pub and pri) CB numbers are coming from. From what I have seen, which is a small number, many of the private schools who are accused of recruitment have a large CB number coming from their varsity team. While a public schools CB number is more likely spread out over it's 3 teams. So I can see the end result of focusing on the varsity team roster only having a smaller CB number but the private schools could easily still be a higher number than the public.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2020 state tournament moved to Friday, Saturday, Sunday buckfan Wrestling 153 04-11-19 10:33 PM
Personal Responsibility 14Red General Board 117 03-21-18 04:03 PM
2018 Division Assignments TriangleMan Volleyball 2 01-25-18 09:33 AM
Division Assignments Irish60 Boys Basketball 12 12-15-17 11:02 AM
D VII State Semifinal: St. Paul (13-0) vs Minster (9-4) EagleFan Football 130 11-27-17 07:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.