Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 04-28-19, 08:53 AM
All Region

coach34
Without Napier, Braun won't be much help. He got most of his looks because of CJ. With no guards being able to shoot they will be all over him. Against Alter in the tournament Braun got pushed around. He will need to put on 20+ pounds to be really effective against the good teams.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-19, 09:32 AM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
The AD is supposedly a basketball person and he wants a transformational coach. Maybe he should take the position for a year and show everyone in the Fenwick community his vision and ability to work with a team.
Old 04-28-19, 12:16 PM
All District

Justice is on a distinguished road
Alums: Jay Byrne
Mike Holweger
John Rossi
All proven winning coaches.
All in Fenwick Athletic Hall of Fame

If AD doesn't seek out these three outstanding coaches you will have your answer as to what direction the current Administration is heading. All three played for John "Butch " Rossi.

My take is they won't interview out of loyalty to PK, but I don't speak for them. Johnny is Coach Rossi's son and currently the Girls Coach @ Franklin. The opportunity to build on the Rossi legacy, and with a nudge from PK, perhaps JR will consider his alma mater?
Old 04-28-19, 01:47 PM
All Region

coach34
Fenwick wants nothing to do with the old school FHS people. This has been shown through many things they have done in the last 3 to 5 years. They had many chances to hire a Rossi as a AD, 2 or 3 times and always went with somebody that treats the school as a stepping stone instead of a destination. I don't think John would leave what he has at Franklin. There is some bad blood from when he was the girls coach there. And I don't think Holweger would due to respect to Kreke. And I think Jay already has too many things on his plate to do it. And alot of coaches have heard nothing but bad things about the administration out there right now to even apply. You can tell by the two candidates that they have interviewed. This should be one that alot of people look into. You think a Alter, a Badin or a CJ would look at a coach with a 3-20 record at Bethel Tate? I dont care where he was assistant at before that.

Fenwick has already lost a lot of money and support over this. Alot of big time donors have pulled out with more to come.

Old 04-28-19, 03:34 PM
All District

You obviously are more aware than I with the pulse of the current Fenwick Adm. mentality. I am saying that these three outstanding alums should be asked by the AD to apply. Without letting them speak for themselves my alma mater will be denied the possibility of three very successful men who have led the Middletown Middies, Lebanon Warriors, Springboro Panthers Madison Mohawk, & Franklin successfully, and know what the culture should be. What AD/Principal would ignore exploring the possibility?

They owe this to all current & future Falcons?
I respect all of your comments, and agree, but I won't speak for JB, MH, JR! With their credentials they must be in the conversation.
Old 04-28-19, 06:53 PM
All Region

1 time is on a distinguished road
I agree completely. Here’s the problem. Many districts are too proud to contact coaches who didn’t apply for their job. Never understood that ? There’s some good coaches in each areas that may be comfortable where their at , but if recruited, could turn some of these programs around. High school people don’t think like college people and thus many of these bad/mediocre programs lay dormant for years. SMH
Old 04-28-19, 07:24 PM
All District

Be Proactive MR. COLEMAN AD

Spot on! Being an alumnus should not be a liability. Nor should it automatically get you hired. The more potential coaches who are out there with proven successful credentials are the ones who should be asked to interview. It is the transformational AD who would go after the best candidates and not wait for them to come to him. The truly great Leaders understand and get their coach. The job surely has attracted more than than two applicants? How about Fred Nori, Justin Holweger, Tony Esposito, Steve Rossi, Scott Kerr? All past assistants under Rossi & Kreke? Better yet,
apologize to PK & admit firing him was a mistake!:stirt hepot:
Old 04-29-19, 03:09 AM
Junior Varsity

bbprodigy is on a distinguished road
I'm waiting on the definition of a transformational coach. Is that someone who isn't going to yell at kids and gives everyone playing time whether they earn it or not? Or is that someone who is going to bring in different kids to the program (as in voucher kids)? If that is the meaning of transformational, then I can't wait to see how the parents act when their kids who weren't playing before are further down the bench behind the new kids.

I was told that the transformational AD has reached out to several local coaches and all of them have told him to shove the job. Also heard that a very successful area coach did inquire about the job and was told he yelled at players too much and wouldn't be considered.

Getting interesting with few options on the table and school about out for the year. I don't see the AD working during the summer since he doesn't show up when school is in session - so it may be next fall before Fenwick gets a new coach.
Old 04-29-19, 09:40 AM
All District

No Alpha Male
Old 04-29-19, 08:36 PM
Junior Varsity

Tallone is on a distinguished road
They are obviously only doing a ďlocalĒ search.. Not necessarily looking for the best coach that they can find
Old 04-30-19, 06:43 AM
All Region

coach34
From what I have heard, the parents want a coach that doesn't yell and plays everybody. They had a issue when Kreke only 7 or 8 guys. One set of parents who have a son on the team, thinks the team should be ran like a CYO team. Those are there exact thoughts....equal playing time, have fun, don't scream at kids and to have alot of prayers during the game. Those were actually something that one set of parents want out there and was said to the AD.

Old 04-30-19, 07:43 AM
Junior Varsity

That type of mentality will never lead to consistent success. It is a shame because there is tremendous potential at Fenwick.
Old 04-30-19, 10:26 AM
Junior Varsity

bbprodigy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach34 View Post
From what I have heard, the parents want a coach that doesn't yell and plays everybody. They had a issue when Kreke only 7 or 8 guys. One set of parents who have a son on the team, thinks the team should be ran like a CYO team. Those are there exact thoughts....equal playing time, have fun, don't scream at kids and to have alot of prayers during the game. Those were actually something that one set of parents want out there and was said to the AD.

Same set of parents who had another son who didn't believe in sharing playing time or sharing the ball? Funny how attitudes change based on talent level. People lose sight of what high school athletics is about. The majority of high school athletes will never play a sport after graduation. High school sports should provide a platform for introducing these teenagers to the real world (that is transformational in my mind). Things aren't fair - we don't always get the job we want and when we do, we still have to report to a boss who we may not agree with. How do you learn to handle those things if your high school experience amounts to CYO beliefs? Not happy with your playing time - work harder and smarter. Want a promotion at work - work harder and smarter. Don't like the coach yelling at you - quit doing the things that he is yelling about. Don't like the raise your boss gave you - quit doing the things that resulted in the low raise or start doing the things your boss is asking you to do. You and your parents may think you are getting the shaft from the coach, but you aren't going to change it without making some changes in your approach. (Unless you are a Fenwick parent and can get the coach fired). Kreke may be old school, but as a player you always knew where you stood. Do what he asked of you and give effort every day in practice and you will get a chance at significant playing time. Blow off the weight room workouts and watch your playing time dwindle. Practice like a putz and you better figure out which chair you are sitting in during the games. Above all else - Kreke was very clear in his expectations that you have to play defense. High school players have all different levels of offensive ability, but one thing all of them can do is give effort on the defensive end. Those are the players that Kreke tried to reward with playing time. Defensive effort provided a lot of kids with playing time that they may have never seen with a different coach.

Is our society so soft that yelling is now considered a mortal sin? To me there are different types of yelling. If it is being done with derogatory comments and in such a way that is degrading - then not acceptable. If it is being done in a way that is showing that he is unhappy with your actions and does not degrade the individual - then probably okay. Of course, I'm probably more old school than others. One of the best coaches I ever played for (who was a tremendous screamer) always told me that when he yelled at me I should be hearing "I love you." He wanted me to know that he was yelling to make me a better player and that it wasn't personal or degrading - it was his way of showing he cared.

Have seen a lot of changes at Fenwick over the past 15 years. Things were really starting to change on the athletic front as Fenwick began getting more kids from the West Chester/Lakota area and other communities. Seeing less and less of that the past few years under the new AD and am afraid there is serious damage being done that will impact the school's enrollment long after the AD moves on to greener pastures. The principal will tell you that Fenwick is going to get a base group of students who come to the school for the academics and faith-based education. The remainder of the students are going to come seeking other opportunities. Face it - Fenwick primarily gets those kids who can't play for the GCL South schools. Enrollment was going up because of this. If the athletic program isn't strong enough to attract these kids, then what happens? Destroying the athletic department is one thing, but when it starts to hurt school enrollment how long can the principal allow this to happen?

The principal came from Moeller and the AD from CHCA. Are they trying to transform Fenwick into one of those and shunning the long-time Fenwick families in the process? If they continue to lose the support of the historical donors I don't know where they find the money to replace it.
Old 04-30-19, 07:16 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Heard Kelvin Moss, basketball coach at Miami U of Hamilton is the finals
Old 04-30-19, 10:19 PM
Varsity

doon2625 is on a distinguished road
Wow

You guys are name dropping like that makes you who you are... Michael Jordan can walk a dog everyday... that's not going to make the dog great anything.... all of these people donating do it for more than just sports... if it was just sports they would move up in the division and recruit heavy... Fenwick has always had limited talent... they haven't been a show stopper in years... just check the records..... they needed a change and the Black/Minority AD didn't make that call himself... but he will stand tall and be the scape-goat... and as far as a new coach..I hope K Moss gets it... he's a great coach...kids buy in and he will win.... in spite of all you all's antics...
Old 05-01-19, 06:51 AM
All Region

coach34
Ok, if they have limited talent, going 16-9 in the GCL this year must have been a great coaching job. Also, didn't they win the GCL last year with limited talent. Must have been some great coaching jobs to get to succeed like that. Especially in a league that is regarded as one of the best around. And they did beat one of the big boys in St X. So if that gets a coach fired good luck to the next one. From what I heard Moss won't have to beat out much because nobody really applied.

And you are wrong about the donation thing. Donors have pulled out because of this. Sports does play a big role in money donations at Fenwick.

Old 05-01-19, 07:01 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by doon2625 View Post
You guys are name dropping like that makes you who you are... Michael Jordan can walk a dog everyday... that's not going to make the dog great anything.... all of these people donating do it for more than just sports... if it was just sports they would move up in the division and recruit heavy... Fenwick has always had limited talent... they haven't been a show stopper in years... just check the records..... they needed a change and the Black/Minority AD didn't make that call himself... but he will stand tall and be the scape-goat... and as far as a new coach..I hope K Moss gets it... he's a great coach...kids buy in and he will win.... in spite of all you all's antics...
What does black/minority AD have to do with anything?
Old 05-01-19, 07:47 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Ok, if they have limited talent, going 16-9 in the GCL this year must have been a great coaching job. Also, didn't they win the GCL last year with limited talent. Must have been some great coaching jobs to get to succeed like that. Especially in a league that is regarded as one of the best around. And they did beat one of the big boys in St X. So if that gets a coach fired good luck to the next one. From what I heard Moss won't have to beat out much because nobody really applied.

And you are wrong about the donation thing. Donors have pulled out because of this. Sports does play a big role in money donations at Fenwick.

I know of a couple of outstanding applicants who did not even get a interview. Both with better records than the person they are probable going to hire
Old 05-01-19, 08:11 AM
Varsity

ThePrepGuru is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallone View Post
I know of a couple of outstanding applicants who did not even get a interview. Both with better records than the person they are probable going to hire
Do tell Tallone? One guy is saying nobody of quality applied, and you are suggesting the opposite. Got any names?
Old 05-01-19, 12:14 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
What does black/minority AD have to do with anything?
Agreed America
Old 05-01-19, 04:43 PM
All Region

Ballin50 is on a distinguished road
Iím hearing itís between Kelvin Moss and Matt Rooks
Old 05-01-19, 05:19 PM
All District

Wasn't Matt Rooks just named the Coach- Wyoming?
Old 05-01-19, 05:27 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Not Rooks, KMoss would be a mistake. Might be a nice guy but it won't go well in the GCL.
Old 05-01-19, 08:59 PM
All World

GCPRO
Didn't Coach Rooks leave the West job to spend more time with his family?
Old 05-01-19, 10:17 PM
All District

One year ago.
Old 05-02-19, 08:13 AM
All American

BusinessEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballin50 View Post
Iím hearing itís between Kelvin Moss and Matt Rooks
Scott Rooks not Matt.
Old 05-02-19, 09:01 AM
All American

Matt Rooks was the previous Wyoming coach, then went to West, then back now to Wyoming... who is Scott?
Old 05-02-19, 09:58 AM
All District

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Hard to be good playing more than 7 or 8 guys
Old 05-02-19, 12:47 PM
All Region

1 time is on a distinguished road
Most parents could care less if you win as long as Johnny or Molly get some playing time.
Old 05-02-19, 02:48 PM
Junior Varsity

Library55 is on a distinguished road
Fenwick has a new coach. I don't know the name yet. Sad day in Fenwick history.