Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 02-12-18, 12:12 PM
Suplexer130 Suplexer130 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-05-03
Posts: 3,413
Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceunder View Post
Notice you went from underhooks to upper body throws. With that change we now agree.
An undertook is to an upper body throw as a shot is to a finish, you know the actual point scoring thing you said an undertook didnít do. They are both pre cursours to the point scoring action.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 02-12-18, 12:23 PM
OCEagle OCEagle is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-18-12
Posts: 1,557
OCEagle is on a distinguished road
I see a lot of comments about the Coon - Snyder match as would be expected. It was pretty simple - and will exist in the Big Ten final and the NCAA championship - Coon is going to wrestle the same way against Snyder again and again. When Snyder gets in deep, all Coon has to do is "land" on him. Unless Snyder can get a leg on Coon and get it up quickly - he has little chance. When you are battling a guy who is in pretty good shape and has a 6 inch and 60 pound advantage over you, it is going to be a tough match to win. Think of a 5'6 and 141 pounder doing battle against a 6'0" and 213lb guy (like Snyder is on the International scene) and you get some idea of the advantage Coon has just from size alone. it speaks volumes to how competitive Snyder can be in the absence of a 220 or 230 weight class in the NCAA (which still makes no sense).

About halfway through the meet last night, it became clear Martin and Moore would need to win, because I felt like Snyder would have a tough time with Coon. I know this will sound like BS, but in that environment and with the sheer size of Coon, I had a feeling he was going to beat Snyder.

Now we shall see how Snyder plans to wrestle the likely rematches at the Big10 and NCAA's. Snyder will be wrestling at "home" in Cleveland for the NCAA's. Big 10's in East Lansing will be relatively neutral although I would expect more UM fans to be there than OSU fans (maybe). But I would also expect MSU fans to be cheering against Coon and thereby for Snyder. They still hate UM more than Ohio State - at least most do.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 02-12-18, 12:28 PM
TakedownFor2 TakedownFor2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-07-10
Posts: 862
TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
I see a lot of comments about the Coon - Snyder match as would be expected. It was pretty simple - and will exist in the Big Ten final and the NCAA championship - Coon is going to wrestle the same way against Snyder again and again. When Snyder gets in deep, all Coon has to do is "land" on him. Unless Snyder can get a leg on Coon and get it up quickly - he has little chance. When you are battling a guy who is in pretty good shape and has a 6 inch and 60 pound advantage over you, it is going to be a tough match to win. Think of a 5'6 and 141 pounder doing battle against a 6'0" and 213lb guy (like Snyder is on the International scene) and you get some idea of the advantage Coon has just from size alone. it speaks volumes to how competitive Snyder can be in the absence of a 220 or 230 weight class in the NCAA (which still makes no sense).

About halfway through the meet last night, it became clear Martin and Moore would need to win, because I felt like Snyder would have a tough time with Coon. I know this will sound like BS, but in that environment and with the sheer size of Coon, I had a feeling he was going to beat Snyder.

Now we shall see how Snyder plans to wrestle the likely rematches at the Big10 and NCAA's. Snyder will be wrestling at "home" in Cleveland for the NCAA's. Big 10's in East Lansing will be relatively neutral although I would expect more UM fans to be there than OSU fans (maybe). But I would also expect MSU fans to be cheering against Coon and thereby for Snyder. They still hate UM more than Ohio State - at least most do.
I think the chances of Snyder converting on one of those leg attacks he was in on last night in the future is pretty dang good.

This guy will be ok. Doing a lot of world traveling right now and maybe it caught up to him and he just is a bit worn down. Rest will help.

My opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 02-12-18, 12:45 PM
OCEagle OCEagle is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-18-12
Posts: 1,557
OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
Had a junior high all star wrestling dual between Ohio and Michigan earlier. Not sure but the team from Ohio seemed to be primarily from Sylvania Ohio. It was ugly. I would guess it was about 60-16 Michigan winning. Ohio team called Kodak Attack??

Looked it up and the team is Kodiak Attack and is based out of Toledo area. The Michigan team appeared to be from the entire state - had kids from St. Joseph, Clio, Detroit suburbs, etc. The Kodiak team was just outgunned at most of the weights - but did have a few kids that were very good. Not knowing who the team was and watching the first match go to Ohio, I was expected a 60-20 win by Ohio - but it was the opposite. Don't know the final score - but it was close to that. Good sportsmanship on both sides and the emphasis was not on the score, but letting the kids wrestle at a great venue. I didn't even know about it, but got there early and was able to see the entire match while waiting for the OSU - UM match. Also got to see my nephew's son win the championship at Whitmer as a 5 year old novice who has been wrestling for only 5 months in the morning before heading up to Ann Arbor.


I have to say, I left UM as a graduate student 20 years ago, and I cannot believe the amount of money that has gone into that school and the facilities. Last time I was there was 10 years ago. We had our graduation ceremony inside Crisler - and it looks nothing like it did 20 years ago. It looks like it is brand new. Absolutely spotless inside the entire venue.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 02-12-18, 12:53 PM
innoshape innoshape is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-05-06
Location: Holmes County, OH
Posts: 387
innoshape is on a distinguished road
We can only imagine the pressure Snyder has or the target that has been on him with his accomplishments. Crazy as it may sound, perhaps Snyder may feel a little relief as part of the silver lining with his recent loss to Coon. He is human, albeit, super-human.
We have no clue what it is like to maintain that level for that long. In more than one interview, Snyder mentions that he is always seeking out the best competition in the world. He doesn't have to look far for the best at the moment- Snyder only has to look in the mirror and then to the North. He shall return!
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 02-12-18, 01:30 PM
Cramer Cramer is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-07-12
Posts: 668
Cramer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by innoshape View Post
We can only imagine the pressure Snyder has or the target that has been on him with his accomplishments. Crazy as it may sound, perhaps Snyder may feel a little relief as part of the silver lining with his recent loss to Coon. He is human, albeit, super-human.
We have no clue what it is like to maintain that level for that long. In more than one interview, Snyder mentions that he is always seeking out the best competition in the world. He doesn't have to look far for the best at the moment- Snyder only has to look in the mirror and then to the North. He shall return!
Great post, some people forget that Snyder has lost several times on the international stage since winning his first world title and Olympic title. He doesn't pout or throw a fit, he accepts the challenge and does what he can to improve on the mistakes he made. When you dominate it's hard to work on chinks in the armor, taking a loss like this shows him what he needs to work on to neutralize that size advantage Coon has.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 02-12-18, 01:47 PM
Lambeau Fields Lambeau Fields is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-11
Posts: 3,774
Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
An undertook is to an upper body throw as a shot is to a finish, you know the actual point scoring thing you said an undertook didnít do. They are both pre cursours to the point scoring action.
Bless you for having the patience I lost long ago. Well said.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 02-12-18, 01:47 PM
Coach Root Coach Root is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-02-07
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 1,075
Coach Root is on a distinguished road
The sky isn't falling...

Snyder can takedown Coon, he's done it before.
We now know that Coon can takedown Snyder.

It makes it much more interesting. This just gave everyone in the arena a reason to watch the last match of the evening at both Big 10's and the NCAA Championships.

Quit crying about size... this isn't the first 285 pounder Snyder has wrestled. He got game planned. It's sounds like some of you are trying to hedge your bets in case Snyder doesn't win. Do you think he's complaining about the size? No he's trying to figure out the solution. My money is betting he got up and went in for a workout today... another day at the office. If anything, he's as motivated as ever.

I think most of you are overlooking who the real pressure is on... The Coaching Staff just got beat... by a great wrestler, but really by a better game plan. Nothing against Coon, as he himself is a freak of a wrestler, but Snyder is considered the better wrestler in the world for a reason. It's time to come up with a new game plan.


Coach Root
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 02-12-18, 01:54 PM
Coach Root Coach Root is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-02-07
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 1,075
Coach Root is on a distinguished road
I have to agree that an underhook is an offensive position. A big boy can drive right through it for a take down just like Jordan Burroughs can drive through a single. And regardless of what people want to think... Heavyweight is different. They have a little different style and the stalling rules are adjusted accordingly, regardless of what others want to admit.

I'm not a ref, but I thought Coon was offensive. He scored points on an attack. Just because an opponent pushes or shoots relentlessly, doesn't mean someone is stalling. I've had wrestlers that could barely stand out there against an opponent... they weren't stalling they were trying to defense themselves and get to a position that they could win.


Coach Root
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 02-12-18, 01:55 PM
Lambeau Fields Lambeau Fields is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-11
Posts: 3,774
Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramer View Post
When you dominate it's hard to work on chinks in the armor, taking a loss like this shows him what he needs to work on to neutralize that size advantage Coon has.
Agree. Woody Hayes once famously said, "Nothing cleanses the soul like a good butt whoopin". Not that this was a butt whoopiin but it was an unexpected "L". Better to have it now than in March.

I personally think the timing for this was good, in the long run. It should refocus Snyder for the task at hand. Hopefully there isn't any more International stuff planned between now and the B1Gs.

After chewing on this a little more, I have something of a Duran-Leonard I opinion of it. I almost feel like Snyder wrestled Coon's match, not his own. With all of the tie-ups etc. Like Leonard stood toe to toe with Duran in Montreal.

I think Snyder needs to maintain space, create angles, and win with the low single/ankle shots where he can avoid Coon's weight.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 02-12-18, 02:30 PM
OCEagle OCEagle is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-18-12
Posts: 1,557
OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
The sky isn't falling...

Snyder can takedown Coon, he's done it before.
We now know that Coon can takedown Snyder.

It makes it much more interesting. This just gave everyone in the arena a reason to watch the last match of the evening at both Big 10's and the NCAA Championships.

Quit crying about size... this isn't the first 285 pounder Snyder has wrestled. He got game planned. It's sounds like some of you are trying to hedge your bets in case Snyder doesn't win. Do you think he's complaining about the size? No he's trying to figure out the solution. My money is betting he got up and went in for a workout today... another day at the office. If anything, he's as motivated as ever.

I think most of you are overlooking who the real pressure is on... The Coaching Staff just got beat... by a great wrestler, but really by a better game plan. Nothing against Coon, as he himself is a freak of a wrestler, but Snyder is considered the better wrestler in the world for a reason. It's time to come up with a new game plan.


Coach Root
Not sure who you are saying is "crying" about the size difference. If Snyder is the best wrestler in the world in his weight class internationally - then why do you think Coon won? Did he outwrestle him? No. His 62 pound weight advantage was reason he won. He didn't take Snyder down because of his wiley wrestling skills, he overpowered him with his size. His weight is essentially 30% greater than Snyder's. Said a better way than before - think of Zain Retherford at 149 wrestling say, Myles Martin (24% advantage) or Kollin Moore (32% advantage). As good as Retherford is, it is not the wrestling skill that would see him likely be pinned, it is the size and strength difference. They may be in the same weight class - but when you get a guy that has that much size and is not hauling around a bunch of worthless bulk in the frame - he is going to have a tough time overcoming the size advantage.

It won't be any easier at B10 or NCAA championship. I was not that far from the mat and Snyder was absolutely gassed after trying to get that weight off him, trying to pick that weight up, and then have it land on him and trying again to get out from under it.

Snyder is very unique. This may be by far his toughest road to a championship. I'm sure he is looking forward to the rematch. That has to inspire him.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 02-12-18, 02:52 PM
Hammerdrill Hammerdrill is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-28-13
Posts: 1,394
Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
Not sure who you are saying is "crying" about the size difference. If Snyder is the best wrestler in the world in his weight class internationally - then why do you think Coon won? Did he outwrestle him? No. His 62 pound weight advantage was reason he won. He didn't take Snyder down because of his wiley wrestling skills, he overpowered him with his size. His weight is essentially 30% greater than Snyder's. Said a better way than before - think of Zain Retherford at 149 wrestling say, Myles Martin (24% advantage) or Kollin Moore (32% advantage). As good as Retherford is, it is not the wrestling skill that would see him likely be pinned, it is the size and strength difference. They may be in the same weight class - but when you get a guy that has that much size and is not hauling around a bunch of worthless bulk in the frame - he is going to have a tough time overcoming the size advantage.

It won't be any easier at B10 or NCAA championship. I was not that far from the mat and Snyder was absolutely gassed after trying to get that weight off him, trying to pick that weight up, and then have it land on him and trying again to get out from under it.

Snyder is very unique. This may be by far his toughest road to a championship. I'm sure he is looking forward to the rematch. That has to inspire him.
Coon isn't in the same weight class as Snyder internationally. So they would never wrestle each other internationally.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 02-12-18, 03:05 PM
OCEagle OCEagle is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-18-12
Posts: 1,557
OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
Coon isn't in the same weight class as Snyder internationally. So they would never wrestle each other internationally.
You're missing the point. I never said they would wrestle internationally. I said Snyder is the best wrestler in the world internationally (which means at the weight he has equally sized opponents) in his weight class. I don't believe Coon is even Top 10 in his weight class internationally. He only beats Snyder because of size difference - which is why bringing that up as the reason he will struggle with Coon is relevant.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 02-12-18, 03:19 PM
CincyWrestler CincyWrestler is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-13-05
Location: wrestling purgatory
Posts: 454
CincyWrestler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
Not sure who you are saying is "crying" about the size difference. If Snyder is the best wrestler in the world in his weight class internationally - then why do you think Coon won? Did he outwrestle him? No. His 62 pound weight advantage was reason he won. He didn't take Snyder down because of his wiley wrestling skills, he overpowered him with his size. His weight is essentially 30% greater than Snyder's. Said a better way than before - think of Zain Retherford at 149 wrestling say, Myles Martin (24% advantage) or Kollin Moore (32% advantage). As good as Retherford is, it is not the wrestling skill that would see him likely be pinned, it is the size and strength difference. They may be in the same weight class - but when you get a guy that has that much size and is not hauling around a bunch of worthless bulk in the frame - he is going to have a tough time overcoming the size advantage.

It won't be any easier at B10 or NCAA championship. I was not that far from the mat and Snyder was absolutely gassed after trying to get that weight off him, trying to pick that weight up, and then have it land on him and trying again to get out from under it.

Snyder is very unique. This may be by far his toughest road to a championship. I'm sure he is looking forward to the rematch. That has to inspire him.
I think it's both, size played a factor but I think Coon out wrestled Snyder as well. It's not like Coon loses handicap points for his size, it's certainly one of his tools and he used it to perfection. I definitely think the size played a role on Snyder not being able to finish his shots. But I think Coon would've finished that takedown size or no size. He probably studied the film more than anybody. He knew Snyder's shot defense was to reach an underhook and pull it up, Coon transitioned from that shot to lock up the over under perfectly, he knew exactly what he was doing and it was clear to me that was his main offensive gameplan and he went for it. Good for him, now it's Snyder's turn to adjust. The last time these two wrestled Snyder would attack the knee joint more and didn't have to come up with his shot, I would imagine he goes back to that. Should be fun to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 02-12-18, 03:26 PM
kessen157 kessen157 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-25-05
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 530
kessen157
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyWrestler View Post
I think it's both, size played a factor but I think Coon out wrestled Snyder as well. It's not like Coon loses handicap points for his size, it's certainly one of his tools and he used it to perfection. I definitely think the size played a role on Snyder not being able to finish his shots. But I think Coon would've finished that takedown size or no size. He probably studied the film more than anybody. He knew Snyder's shot defense was to reach an underhook and pull it up, Coon transitioned from that shot to lock up the over under perfectly, he knew exactly what he was doing and it was clear to me that was his main offensive gameplan and he went for it. Good for him, now it's Snyder's turn to adjust. The last time these two wrestled Snyder would attack the knee joint more and didn't have to come up with his shot, I would imagine he goes back to that. Should be fun to watch.
I think having 2x World and Olympic Champion Taha Akgul (6'4 270 lbs) training at the Ohio RTC for the month of February will help Snyder prepare for the rematch.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 02-12-18, 04:06 PM
graceunder graceunder is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-01-09
Posts: 219
graceunder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
I have to agree that an underhook is an offensive position. A big boy can drive right through it for a take down just like Jordan Burroughs can drive through a single. And regardless of what people want to think... Heavyweight is different. They have a little different style and the stalling rules are adjusted accordingly, regardless of what others want to admit.

I'm not a ref, but I thought Coon was offensive. He scored points on an attack. Just because an opponent pushes or shoots relentlessly, doesn't mean someone is stalling. I've had wrestlers that could barely stand out there against an opponent... they weren't stalling they were trying to defense themselves and get to a position that they could win.


Coach Root
Although we would disagree on this thread. I watched you wrestle in High School and you young man where the dictionary definition of an aggressive right off the whistle wrestler. You had one of the quickest ankle picks off the whistle I ever saw in a high school wrestler.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 02-12-18, 04:13 PM
Divided42 Divided42 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-24-09
Posts: 1,040
Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessen157 View Post
I think having 2x World and Olympic Champion Taha Akgul (6'4 270 lbs) training at the Ohio RTC for the month of February will help Snyder prepare for the rematch.
It's certainly a bonus for his freestyle career, as far as his folk style career it's pretty negligible imo. Akgul has never wrestled folk, Coon uses Greco techniques more than anything vs Snyder, it's only a month, and Snyder has had Tervel at Ohio State his entire career so it's not like he's been lacking elite level big guys in the room.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 02-12-18, 04:29 PM
kessen157 kessen157 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-25-05
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 530
kessen157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divided42 View Post
It's certainly a bonus for his freestyle career, as far as his folk style career it's pretty negligible imo. Akgul has never wrestled folk, Coon uses Greco techniques more than anything vs Snyder, it's only a month, and Snyder has had Tervel at Ohio State his entire career so it's not like he's been lacking elite level big guys in the room.
I agree he isn't lacking big guys but he he is lacking a guy that is similar in height and weight as Coon. A TD is a TD so not sure how it doesn't help in either style
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 02-12-18, 08:47 PM
Coach Root Coach Root is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-02-07
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 1,075
Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceunder View Post
Although we would disagree on this thread. I watched you wrestle in High School and you young man where the dictionary definition of an aggressive right off the whistle wrestler. You had one of the quickest ankle picks off the whistle I ever saw in a high school wrestler.
That was a lot of years ago and several pounds. Thanks for the kind words.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 02-12-18, 09:00 PM
Coach Root Coach Root is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-02-07
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 1,075
Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
Not sure who you are saying is "crying" about the size difference. If Snyder is the best wrestler in the world in his weight class internationally - then why do you think Coon won? Did he outwrestle him? No. His 62 pound weight advantage was reason he won. He didn't take Snyder down because of his wiley wrestling skills, he overpowered him with his size. His weight is essentially 30% greater than Snyder's. Said a better way than before - think of Zain Retherford at 149 wrestling say, Myles Martin (24% advantage) or Kollin Moore (32% advantage). As good as Retherford is, it is not the wrestling skill that would see him likely be pinned, it is the size and strength difference. They may be in the same weight class - but when you get a guy that has that much size and is not hauling around a bunch of worthless bulk in the frame - he is going to have a tough time overcoming the size advantage.

It won't be any easier at B10 or NCAA championship. I was not that far from the mat and Snyder was absolutely gassed after trying to get that weight off him, trying to pick that weight up, and then have it land on him and trying again to get out from under it.

Snyder is very unique. This may be by far his toughest road to a championship. I'm sure he is looking forward to the rematch. That has to inspire him.
I probably shouldn't have used the word crying... However, that seems to be the standing excuse/reason. The weight class is 285 so continually bringing it up does come across a bit whiny. I mean Snyder does have the option to head down to 197 instead. But if that's the standing argument (65 pounds), then you are conceding that Snyder's not the best Heavyweight because he can't handle the size. I disagree. He's handled it the past couple of years. It wasn't weight... it's training regiment and game plan. People lose all the time... it's just a bit more rare when it happens to someone like Snyder because of his overwhelming success. I just find it odd that so many are so quick to blame the weight when it's never been an issue before. I think Coon is damn good. And as I stated previously, I think he had a better game plan. Snyder has been focused on a lot of things, while Coon has been focused on Snyder. That has now changed... and I think the result will likely change as well.


Coach Root
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 02-12-18, 10:20 PM
NU Grappler NU Grappler is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-12
Posts: 168
NU Grappler is on a distinguished road
Size Matters

Bottom line is Size Matters. That can not be an excuse for others at the same weight, as they chose to compete at that weight. The good news is they do not have to cut weight. With two equally athletic men, size will win most of the time. The general belief is that Snyder is more athletic than anyone else, so size does not matter. Maybe what we are seeing is Coon is very athletic and maybe equally athletic with the benefit of size?
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 02-13-18, 08:07 AM
ProV1 ProV1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-14-15
Posts: 1,089
ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
I probably shouldn't have used the word crying... However, that seems to be the standing excuse/reason. The weight class is 285 so continually bringing it up does come across a bit whiny. I mean Snyder does have the option to head down to 197 instead. But if that's the standing argument (65 pounds), then you are conceding that Snyder's not the best Heavyweight because he can't handle the size. I disagree. He's handled it the past couple of years. It wasn't weight... it's training regiment and game plan. People lose all the time... it's just a bit more rare when it happens to someone like Snyder because of his overwhelming success. I just find it odd that so many are so quick to blame the weight when it's never been an issue before. I think Coon is damn good. And as I stated previously, I think he had a better game plan. Snyder has been focused on a lot of things, while Coon has been focused on Snyder. That has now changed... and I think the result will likely change as well.


Coach Root
There is a lot to unpack in this thread but a few themes are clear. First, for some reason, even experienced wrestling people either donít understand or donít appreciate the wresting at heavyweight. Coon was stalling because he did not take a shot? How often does Coon or any other full heavyweight shoot singles? The answer is rarely because it does not often work and is a lousy attack at that weight. It seems to me that his takedown of Snyder came on a body lock. That is what he does and typical of how he wrestles all the time. If he was stalling vs Snyder, then he stalls in every match all of the time. Second, the size difference is not an excuse or complaint for why Snyder lost. It is a primary reason, and you donít have to be a wrestling savant to see that. It is not to say that Coon won just because of size. Coon won because he is much bigger and he is skilled enough at wrestling to make it extremely difficult for a guy of Snyderís size to beat him. We all know that Snyder wrestles at 285 because of his international schedule. If NCAA was the pinnacle, he would be at 197 because he is 5í11í. For some reason, folks want to dismiss size as a major impact on results at heavyweight. At the same time, I see comments about how we need 7lbs between classes to keep things fair and what kind of advantage a certain wrestler has because he cut and is ďhugeĒ for the weight. I wonder if these same folks would dismiss the results if Myles Martin beat the crap out of Zane Retherford. Again, this is not a question of fairness or excuse. It is simply reality. It will be interesting to see if Snyder can overcome it. If it can be done, he is the guy that can do it and it will only add to his incredible resume.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 02-13-18, 08:23 AM
rjewards rjewards is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Location: RoCkPoRt
Posts: 1,339
rjewards is on a distinguished road
Snyder will not be beat by coon again, mark my words of wisdom.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 02-13-18, 08:33 AM
Tartan78 Tartan78 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-17-15
Posts: 347
Tartan78 is on a distinguished road
I think this thread should b renamed the Coon/ Snyder match


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 02-13-18, 09:35 AM
PIQUA_Bolin PIQUA_Bolin is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-05-01
Location: Piqua, OH USA
Posts: 746
PIQUA_Bolin
Send a message via Yahoo to PIQUA_Bolin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
That was a lot of years ago and several pounds. Thanks for the kind words.
You saying you canít squeeze into that singlet still?
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 02-13-18, 09:46 AM
Coach Root Coach Root is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-02-07
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 1,075
Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIQUA_Bolin View Post
You saying you canít squeeze into that singlet still?
It has been noted that it is offensive to all that view... kind of like the rating systems on TV. There are some things you just can't "unsee."


Coach Root
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 02-13-18, 12:41 PM
CDVA CDVA is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-10-10
Posts: 203
CDVA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
There is a lot to unpack in this thread but a few themes are clear. First, for some reason, even experienced wrestling people either donít understand or donít appreciate the wresting at heavyweight. Coon was stalling because he did not take a shot? How often does Coon or any other full heavyweight shoot singles? The answer is rarely because it does not often work and is a lousy attack at that weight. It seems to me that his takedown of Snyder came on a body lock. That is what he does and typical of how he wrestles all the time. If he was stalling vs Snyder, then he stalls in every match all of the time. Second, the size difference is not an excuse or complaint for why Snyder lost. It is a primary reason, and you donít have to be a wrestling savant to see that. It is not to say that Coon won just because of size. Coon won because he is much bigger and he is skilled enough at wrestling to make it extremely difficult for a guy of Snyderís size to beat him. We all know that Snyder wrestles at 285 because of his international schedule. If NCAA was the pinnacle, he would be at 197 because he is 5í11í. For some reason, folks want to dismiss size as a major impact on results at heavyweight. At the same time, I see comments about how we need 7lbs between classes to keep things fair and what kind of advantage a certain wrestler has because he cut and is ďhugeĒ for the weight. I wonder if these same folks would dismiss the results if Myles Martin beat the crap out of Zane Retherford. Again, this is not a question of fairness or excuse. It is simply reality. It will be interesting to see if Snyder can overcome it. If it can be done, he is the guy that can do it and it will only add to his incredible resume.
The reason Snyder lost is because he was the second best guy on the mat in the weight class that both wrestlers weighed in at. Your comparison of Martin and Zain is just stupid because they don't wrestle in the same weight class. Snyder is the second best NCAA Heavyweight (197.1 lb - 285 lb) until proven otherwise. Own it. Stop whining, making excuses, citing reasons or any other form of rationalation that helps the fragile ego of the Buckeye fan sleep at night. Snyder lost and he was soundly beaten.

The match is online if there are any doubts about how much Coon dominated.

Also Micah was stuck, flat, decked. The ref was out of position and missed the earliest part of the cradle when Jordan's shoulders were pasted to the mat.

If the ref was in position Michigan wins the dual. Enjoy the gifted victory.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 02-13-18, 12:46 PM
TakedownFor2 TakedownFor2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-07-10
Posts: 862
TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDVA View Post
The reason Snyder lost is because he was the second best guy on the mat in the weight class that both wrestlers weighed in at. Your comparison of Martin and Zain is just stupid because they don't wrestle in the same weight class. Snyder is the second best NCAA Heavyweight (197.1 lb - 285 lb) until proven otherwise. Own it. Stop whining, making excuses, citing reasons or any other form of rationalation that helps the fragile ego of the Buckeye fan sleep at night. Snyder lost and he was soundly beaten.

The match is online if there are any doubts about how much Coon dominated.

Also Micah was stuck, flat, decked. The ref was out of position and missed the earliest part of the cradle when Jordan's shoulders were pasted to the mat.

If the ref was in position Michigan wins the dual. Enjoy the gifted victory.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
LOL.

I wouldn't say Coon dominated. It was a 1 takedown match. He definitely was the better guy that night though.

Are you going to complain next the Abounader had two?
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 02-13-18, 12:50 PM
CDVA CDVA is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-10-10
Posts: 203
CDVA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post
LOL.

I wouldn't say Coon dominated. It was a 1 takedown match.

Are you going to complain next the Abounader had two?
Lol, watch the match.
Tossed Snyder to his back.
57 seconds of riding time
Clock saved Snyder at the end of the second period
Coon gave Snyder a courtesy pass with 10 seconds left in the third by not finishing the single.
Yeah it was dominant. Plain and simple.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 02-13-18, 12:54 PM
Mr.wrsln2 Mr.wrsln2 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-08-17
Location: Garrettsville
Posts: 223
Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
CDVA..steppin up!goodluck
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 11:21 PM
Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team 2018-2020 Ohio TofC Wrestling 11 10-15-17 10:51 PM
Waite D-3 District Rankings (Off-Season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 15 07-22-17 10:47 AM
OHSAA 2017 Baseball State Tournament Preview Yappi Baseball 1 05-30-17 11:25 PM
Coshocton D-3 District Rankings (off season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 3 05-30-17 07:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz