Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-23-18, 03:52 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
I could feasibly see Solon running the table until at least Feb. 5 at Brunswick or Feb. 6 against Stow.

I believe that Sincere Carry committed to West Liberty some time ago, but he is a legitimate D1 point guard. With the amount of talent they have, and the impressive coaching job they've done, they will only get better.

Road games consecutive nights vs. Brunswick and Stow? That's not exactly ideal scheduling. The makeup vs. B-Wick couldn't be made up some other night? It's going to be tough to get through both of those games unscathed. St. Edward is looming, too, and I know all about their height and depth. If the Comets get through the season 22-0, no one can question their schedule. But it's a big if.
Old 01-23-18, 04:46 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Losing a game is not a bad thing. A lose has a way of grounding a team and showing them that if you don't bring it every night - you can lose. It also releases that unbeaten pressure. People can say what they want but unbeaten teams always have extra pressure on them and these are still kids. In fact a few losses is even better because you learn from them. I can't wait to see Solon in person this year.
Old 01-23-18, 07:48 PM
All Ohio

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Road games consecutive nights vs. Brunswick and Stow? That's not exactly ideal scheduling. The makeup vs. B-Wick couldn't be made up some other night? It's going to be tough to get through both of those games unscathed. St. Edward is looming, too, and I know all about their height and depth. If the Comets get through the season 22-0, no one can question their schedule. But it's a big if.

WAIT...I thought the Comets lost one game.
Old 01-24-18, 02:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoike View Post
WAIT...I thought the Comets lost one game.
Solon is 12-0. Maybe you saw the AP poll a couple of weeks ago, which listed the Comets at 9-1. That was a misprint.
Old 01-24-18, 02:44 PM
All Yappi

Solon reached that 12-0 record with last night's 91-62 win over Willoughby South. Work prevented me but going but here's what a friend told me: Comets led, 15-12 after one quarter. Solon initially had a bit of trouble with South's taller frontcourt. But Solon took over in the second quarter, taking a 40-24 halftime lead, then exploding for 35 points in the third quarter.

My friend had Sincere Carry with 23 points, maybe 25. Trent Williams had 18 or 19 and David Marbury added 14. My buddy also told me that it was Sincere Carry who broke the game open in the second period with a flurry of steals that led to easy baskets. Then everyone started making big defensive plays and it sort of snowballed from there. That's been the case in just about every game this season.

If this information is incorrect, don't blame me. I'm just the messenger. Blame my friend Michael Simon. You can take it up with him at the next home game.

Roadie vs. Elyria Friday night. I'm planning to go but that depends on the weather.
Old 01-24-18, 09:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Solon is 12-0. Maybe you saw the AP poll a couple of weeks ago, which listed the Comets at 9-1. That was a misprint.
yes, it was the state poll.

12-0...wow! I see a better than even chance of finishing 22-0
Old 01-25-18, 12:42 AM
All District

GoingCoastal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoike View Post
yes, it was the state poll.

12-0...wow! I see a better than even chance of finishing 22-0
They would have to go through St. Edward at the Eagles' Nest. No easy task...
Old 01-25-18, 05:14 AM
All World

Eagles Nest is the hardest place to win in NE Ohio.
Old 01-25-18, 11:46 AM
All District

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Of all the Brush games I have seen this year, I would say the 25 point victory by Solon over my beloved Arcs was by far the most impressive opponent. Solon has all the parts to contend on a state level this year. Impressive.
Old 01-27-18, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
Of all the Brush games I have seen this year, I would say the 25 point victory by Solon over my beloved Arcs was by far the most impressive opponent. Solon has all the parts to contend on a state level this year. Impressive.
Thanks for the kind words, brusharc. I hope you're right about Solon's chances for state. Good luck to Brush, too. I miss playing the Arcs every year. I enjoyed games up there, both basketball and football. I miss the WRC and the rivalries Solon had with Brush, Mayfield, Hudson and Nordonia.
Old 01-27-18, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

Solon improved to 13-0 with last night's 94-66 win at Elyria. The Comets are likely to remain the #2 team in the AP state D1 poll. Elyria fell to 7-8 overall, 2-5 in GCC play.

The Comets won last night's game by bombing the Pioneers to death with three-pointers. Solon shot from beyond the arc, then shot some more. If the Comets forced a steal, they'd pass it around to the first open guy behind the line. And usually, that guy didn't miss.

Let me try and count Solon's triples: David Marbury led Solon with 24 points. All 24 came on triples. That's unusual, because Marbury normally doesn't take a lot of shots. But he found a sweet spot on the baseline last night, and his teammates kept feeding him the ball. And David kept hitting.

Michael Bekelja had 19 points. I'd say he hit at least four threes. Sincere Carry had 15 points, with perhaps three triples. Trent Williams had three treys out of his 13 points. Nick Close and Ryan Bergen each hit one three, that I can recall, and Justin Lumpkin hit two. Did Brandon Brown hit a three? I can't remember. So, by my estimation, Solon hit at least 22 threes last night. That's 66 points, folks.

It took Solon about four minutes of the first period to establish a double-digit lead. The Comets spent the rest of the game slowly building on that lead. Elyria hung around because of the fine play of their center, 6-7 Justin Koepp and their shooting guard, #23, whose name I can't remember. Those two accounted for about half of Elyria's points. Koepp and the guard also played well in Elyria's earlier visit to Solon.

The Comets seemed to be headed to 100 points until slowing the pace and going with reserves with about four minutes left.

I want to give special mention to Michael Bekelja, who really played a super all-around game last night. Shooting, passing, ballhandling, defense, hustle; Michael did everything well.

Comets are home to vastly improved Euclid Tuesday, then visit Mentor next Friday.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-29-18 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

I'm trying to figure out the current GCC standings, which were thrown out of whack by all the postponements two weeks ago. Some have been made up already, some haven't. For instance, Solon still hasn't played second-place Brunwick.

Solon is 7-0. At least I know that much. Brunswick is 6-1 (I think). The Blue Devils beat Shaker last night. That gives Shaker two losses. They've won 5 (or is it six?). Mentor is 4-3. Euclid is either 4-3 or 3-4. Elyria is 2-5. I can't remember if Medina has one win or two, but I'm pretty sure Strongsville is still winless.
Old 01-27-18, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

Solon still hasn't scored fewer than 72 points in any of its 13 games. It was St. Ignatius which held the Comets to 72. Solon has scored 80 or more 11 times. The Comets have cracked 90 points seven times and have scored 100 or more twice.
Old 01-27-18, 02:22 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
http://www.chroniclet.com/high-schoo...a-loses-4.html

Good guess, Meta. Solon hit 23 three pointers yesterday on just 43 attempts. Size or not, when they shoot that well and keep up their defensive pressure - they are going to be to knock out of the tournament. I know from experience that a team built on the three-point shot is devastating to the opponent when you are on. Unfortunately, one off night in the tournament means the end.

GCC Standings:

Solon 7-0
Brunswick 6-1
Shaker 5-2
Euclid 5-3
Mentor 4-4
Elyria 2-6
Strongsville 1-6
Medina 0-8
Old 01-29-18, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post

Good guess, Meta. Solon hit 23 three pointers yesterday on just 43 attempts. Size or not, when they shoot that well and keep up their defensive pressure - they are going to be to knock out of the tournament. I know from experience that a team built on the three-point shot is devastating to the opponent when you are on. Unfortunately, one off night in the tournament means the end.

GCC Standings:

Solon 7-0
Brunswick 6-1
Shaker 5-2
Euclid 5-3
Mentor 4-4
Elyria 2-6
Strongsville 1-6
Medina 0-8
I didn't realize that Strongsville has beaten Medina, or that Mentor has four losses. I also didn't know that Euclid has five league wins. Despite Euclid's terrible record last year, it was obvious that they had some good, young talent. So the Panthers' resurgence shouldn't surprise anyone. Solon hosts Euclid tomorrow night. Last month, the Panthers gave Solon its toughest game of the season. Solon trailed well into the second half and didn't put the game away until late in the fourth period.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-30-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 04:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post

GCC Standings:

Solon 7-0
Brunswick 6-1
Shaker 5-2
Euclid 5-3
Mentor 4-4
Elyria 2-6
Strongsville 1-6
Medina 0-8
It's amazing watching a team play that lives by the three-point shot. You can put so much distance between yourself and the opponent in a short span of time. Or you can mount a quick comeback, if need be. Other teams have to work so much harder to generate points and keep up. I know Mentor has played that way for years, and I remember watching them do it to Solon. Now, the Comets are the team doing it to everybody. If you keep hitting your shots, you can beat a bigger team that would otherwise out-personnel you.

But you're right. There's the flip side. Get a cold night in the tournament, and you're done.
Old 01-29-18, 04:35 PM
All World

Euclid has always had some talent but they never had any quality coaching, discipline or culture - not since Sutell and O'Toole left. Now they seem to have it heading in the right direction. Not sure how far they will go and Solon is a far better team but come District time Euclid might give somebody a hard time.
Old 01-30-18, 09:37 PM
All World

Looks like Euclid gave Solon all it could handle tonight 80-74. Euclid really has not had a signature win yet but have played a few top squads very tough. Not a team many want to see at the Solon District.
Old 01-31-18, 12:23 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Sounds solon is overrated, let see againist stow.
Old 01-31-18, 02:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
No, they are not. Best PG in the state and talent around him too.
Old 01-31-18, 05:50 AM
All World

I would not call Solon overrated. Sometimes a team just does not match up well. Solon no doubt has some tough games coming up in the Euclid District but they seem to be more then capable of advancing to Regionals.
Old 01-31-18, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Looks like Euclid gave Solon all it could handle tonight 80-74. Euclid really has not had a signature win yet but have played a few top squads very tough. Not a team many want to see at the Solon District.
Euclid did beat Mentor...I would say that was a signature win for them.

For some reason, Euclid has given Solon some trouble. Obviously they match up well with the Comets. Solon is the class of the GCC, but there is enough depth to make things interesting. If Solon goes undefeated in the league, they will have earned it. Two games with Brunswick, playing at Mentor on Friday, and a rematch with Shaker.
Old 01-31-18, 09:25 AM
All World

Normally Mentor is a signature win - but Mentor was not playing well at the time. Coach K may have taken longer then normal but he has fixed some issues. Solon will have a hard time going unbeaten in conference but I agree they are the team all others are measured by this year. Still like Solon to makes Regionals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 01-31-18, 09:36 AM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Man, is this a stupid comment.
Solon is in one of the toughest conferences in the state. They are undefeated. Last night was the first game that wasn't a double figure spread. Solon is for real. Plus Brunswick is certainly a formidable task coming up before Stow is.
Old 01-31-18, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Yikes!! Win a game by six points and everyone comes out of the woodwork. Several with intelligent observations. Others...

Yes. Solon won a close one over Euclid, 80-74. I got out of work early and was able to race to Solon and catch the second half. The game was close throughout the second half. At one instance, Euclid pulled ahead by one point. But the Comets regained the lead and maintained a margin that wavered between two and 10 points the rest of the way.

It was Euclid that had given Solon its toughest battle of the season prior to last night's game. In that earlier game, the Panthers also led in the second half, only to see the Comets pull away late and win 89-77.

Euclid plays Solon tough. I only saw the second half, but the Panthers hounded Solon with an aggressive full-court press. When the Comets ran a halfcourt offense, Euclid came out hard to protect the perimeter. Solon didn't take as many three-point shots as usual, and they hit a lower percentage. The Comets ran a lot of backdoor stuff, and they tried to fast break through the press. Solon scored a lot of layups and inside baskets. For the most part, the Comets scored two points at a time instead of their usual three.

At times, Solon played a little out of control. Guys would blow through the defense with some great moves, then give the layup a little extra flourish. And the extra moves caused a few too many misses. If I were Coach DeCesare, I'd have the guys working on layup drills today.

To Euclid's credit, they are long, lean (except for the one widebody), and athletic. And the Panthers now have the look of a well-coached team. The Panthers ran when they could, but played patient halfcourt sets when they needed to. They rebounded well and they played some tough D on Solon.

Michael Bekelja led Solon with 25 points. Trent Williams followed with 22. Sincere Carry was the principal point guard and he did more distributing than shooting. But he added 16 points. Ryan Bergen had seven and David Marbury had six. Both Bergen and Marbury played excellent defense and pulled down some key rebounds. Sincere deserves a big gold star for some great defense, holding Euclid's high-scoring Garvin Clarke to 13 points.

The key thing to take from this game is that Euclid kept challenging Solon. But whenever the Panthers made it close, the Comets answered with a rally of their own. When the lead got down to two, Solon quickly got it back up to eight or nine.

One more thing about Euclid: The Panthers have a lot of talent and they're playing really well right now. They're going to be a tough opponent for anyone in the GCC, and it wouldn't surprise me if they go far in the Solon district.

The Comets face their toughest stretch of games so far this season. Solon visits Mentor Friday to face a Cardinal team that's just as hot as Euclid. Monday, they visit Brunswick (12-2) and Tuesday, it's a roadie at Stow (12-1). The Comets need to be at their absolute best to get through this stretch.
Old 01-31-18, 07:48 PM
All World

Meta - welcome to the world of being successful. You win a game by 6 and all of a sudden your overrated. Winning in the GCC is tough be it by 1 point or 30. Take that W and move on. Euclid is improving because they now have leadership - they just have not learned how to win yet. Once they do it's going to be a problem for GCC and playoff opponents. Maybe it happens this year - maybe it take till next season. It would not shock me in the least if Euclid stuns a favorite like Shaker, CCC or Garfield in the Solon District. Remember Meta with success comes haters.
Old 02-01-18, 10:24 AM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
The rest of the year will be tough for solon, with mentor playing better and bene and brush
Old 02-01-18, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
They have no height, which will hurt them. Having a good year so far.
Old 02-01-18, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Meta - welcome to the world of being successful. You win a game by 6 and all of a sudden your overrated. Winning in the GCC is tough be it by 1 point or 30. Take that W and move on. Euclid is improving because they now have leadership - they just have not learned how to win yet. Once they do it's going to be a problem for GCC and playoff opponents. Maybe it happens this year - maybe it take till next season. It would not shock me in the least if Euclid stuns a favorite like Shaker, CCC or Garfield in the Solon District. Remember Meta with success comes haters.
Oh, I know all about it. During the Dallas Lauderdale years, when Solon reached the regionals three straight years, the Comets were the worst, most overrated team in Ohio. That is, if you paid attention to all the haters.
Old 02-01-18, 10:59 PM
All Ohio

Stow laid another egg on the road tonight, losing to Twinsburg 50-40.

This is rather inexcusable for a team with the talent they have. I do not see them with the discipline to beat Solon next week.