Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-27-18, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I guessmost of the teams are out west, makes sense to have sectionals there. Central is close. Hopefully I can get to a game there.

How do they do seeding? Whose rankings do they use?
Old 01-27-18, 05:15 PM
Junior Varsity

braygatron4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I guessmost of the teams are out west, makes sense to have sectionals there. Central is close. Hopefully I can get to a game there.

How do they do seeding? Whose rankings do they use?
Seeding is done via a vote from the coaches. Each coach in the district ranks each team 1-14. Then they are seeded based on which team has the highest # of points from the vote, yada yada yada.

Whoever has the first seed has first dibs on where they want to go. Two-seed chooses next, which will most likely be the opposite sectional of where the one-seed chooses. And then they go down the list until all the spots are filled.
Old 01-28-18, 11:40 AM
Varsity

808 is on a distinguished road
Napoleon District Records

Edgerton 5-10 0-4
Edon 2-14 1-8
EC 5-8 2-6
Fayette 9-7 4-4
Hilltop 2-12 2-7
Maumee Valley 12-3 7-2
Montpelier 7-9 4-5
North Central 6-10 3-5
Ottawa Hills 8-7 5-4
Pettisville 15-1 9-0
Stryker 10-4 7-1

Last edited by 808; 01-28-18 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-28-18, 12:07 PM
Varsity

D3 Central Catholic

Archbold 11-3 2-1
Cardinal Stritch 15-1 9-0
Delta 5-9 2-1
Eastwood 9-4 6-2
Evergreen 8-8 3-0
Genoa 12-3 8-0
Gibsonburg 2-10 1-6
Lake 6-10 3-5
Liberty Center 3-12 0-3
Northwood 1-15 1-9
Otsego 9-5 5-4
Rossford 4-11 2-6
Swanton 5-11 0-3
Woodmore 11-2 5-2
Old 01-28-18, 12:16 PM
All Yappi

It's not weird that Toledo teams go way out west and Archbold drives on by Napoleon to Toledo?

When coaches rank, are the ballots open or are they secret and when and where do they publish brackets and times?
Old 01-28-18, 12:49 PM
Junior Varsity

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
Eastisbest,

It's funny that you ask that. Being here in Fayette and Fulton County we consider Toledo just down the road even though it is a 35 mile drive. But when talking to someone from Toledo they think driving to the Airport in Holland is far away. LOL Different perspectives for each setting whether rural or urban.

As for Archbold, their High School is on the same road as Whitehouse itself where AW is at...easy drive for them to AW. Bowsher not too far away either as it is not far from the turnpike which I am guessing quite a few people from Archbold use to get to Toledo anyhow. I do feel bad for the schools to the East that end up at AW, that could be a long drive for them.

This all happened when the State decided to re-District the tournament after coming out with the new enrollment figures and sending teams in different directions. Wauseon in D2 used to go to Lake or AW, now because of the re-Districting their Sectional will either be at Findlay or Lima Senior and the District is at Ohio Northern.
Old 01-28-18, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

So it's a grown by piece meal thing no one decided to revisit, sounds. Might make for interesting games as city rural can get.

Travel: it is funny. Maybe it's the way we describe things. Someone here asks how far to the airport we'll say either 40 minute to an hour, not 30 miles. Or we'll say which one, since for a good part of the city, you can get to Detroit Metro quicker. Whitehouse is a different world.

Anything past the canal boats might as well be hoosiers for me. I objected to them taking peoples' land for that new road but now that I've traveled that new road, my sympathies have been waned by personal greed of time and safety. It's also much nicer now walking along the paths at the river parks. Hope those people who lost land got on well, no one probably asks them.

Thanks for the info. Now anyone know about the other, when we will know when games are?
Old 01-28-18, 03:53 PM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayette 79 View Post
Eastisbest,

It's funny that you ask that. Being here in Fayette and Fulton County we consider Toledo just down the road even though it is a 35 mile drive. But when talking to someone from Toledo they think driving to the Airport in Holland is far away. LOL Different perspectives for each setting whether rural or urban.

As for Archbold, their High School is on the same road as Whitehouse itself where AW is at...easy drive for them to AW. Bowsher not too far away either as it is not far from the turnpike which I am guessing quite a few people from Archbold use to get to Toledo anyhow. I do feel bad for the schools to the East that end up at AW, that could be a long drive for them.

This all happened when the State decided to re-District the tournament after coming out with the new enrollment figures and sending teams in different directions. Wauseon in D2 used to go to Lake or AW, now because of the re-Districting their Sectional will either be at Findlay or Lima Senior and the District is at Ohio Northern.

Totally relatable!! People ask where Iím from and iím
better off saying toledo because no one knows where Wauseon is at! But I have relatives that would travel from wauseon to downtown toledo or monroe street everyday for work.
Old 01-28-18, 06:13 PM
Varsity

Prep Hoops Top 10 DIV
Seems a little more accurate than the AP Top 10

1. Cornerstone Christian (8-6)
Quality wins: Garfield Heights, St. Ignatius, Lutheran East
Losses: Solon, Lakewood St. Edward, Cleveland Central Catholic, Cardinal Stritch, Cleveland Heights, Killian (FL)
Point differential: +3.2
Top prospects: Mike Bothwell (2018), Kendall Saunders (2018), Martel Ferrell (2018)

2. Fort Loramie (16-1)
Quality wins: Versailles, St. Henry, Minster, Bethel , Franklin-Monroe
Loss: Anna
Point differential: +19.7
Top prospects: Evan Berning (2018), Dillon Braun (2018), Tyler Seigel (2018)

3. Mansfield St. Peter’s (16-0)
Quality wins: Northmor
Point differential: +20.8
Top prospects: Jared Jakubick (2018), Mason Campbell (2018), Elijah Cobb (2018)

4. Marion Local (10-3)
Quality wins: Wapakoneta, St. Henry
Losses: Anna, Lima Shawnee, Coldwater
Point differential: +15.8
Top prospects: Nathan Bruns (2019), Tyler Mescher (2018)

5. St. Henry (13-2)
Quality wins: Anna, Wapakoneta
Losses: Fort Loramie, Marion Local
Point differential: +10.5
Top prospects: Tyler Schlarman (2018)

6. Hannibal River (11-0)
Quality wins: none
Top prospects: Lukas Isaly (2018)

7. McDonald (13-1)
Quality wins: none
Loss: South Range
Point differential: +28.7
Top prospects: Zach Rasile (2020), Braedon Poole (2018)

8. Strasburg-Franklin (13-1)
Quality win: Malvern
Loss: Malvern
Point differential: +17.9

9. Minster (10-3)
Quality wins: Wapakoneta, St. Henry
Losses: Versailles, Fort Loramie, Bethel, Anna
Point differential: +6.6
Top prospects: Jarod Schulze (2019), Mike Ketner (2019)

10. Pandora-Gilboa (12-1)
Quality win: Ottoville
Loss: Upper Scioto Valley
Point differential: +13.2
Top prospect: Drew Johnson (2018)
Old 01-29-18, 11:19 AM
Varsity

ILikeSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's not weird that Toledo teams go way out west and Archbold drives on by Napoleon to Toledo?

When coaches rank, are the ballots open or are they secret and when and where do they publish brackets and times?
Those are 2 different divisions. Sometimes it just works out that way based on how many teams from an area are in each division. Archbold couldn't go west because they are D3. Maumee Valley can't go to Central because they are D4.

Also, the airport is in Swanton and Monclova Townships with a Swanton address. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to get there from the east side unless you get stuck in traffic on the Turnpike. Google says 25 minutes.
Old 01-29-18, 07:18 PM
All Yappi

Pretty sure google lives in p-burg. Never saw it on the road around here. We wouldn't take the turnpike to the airport, airport costs enough. 10-15 minutes to hitch the ride to the Miami interchange. Another 10-15 not getting a ride because Rossford are cheap-paranoid btards so another 5 waving a gun around. Then 20-30 to the airport.

and it's capitalized moron. East Side, if you're including Genoa, oregon, Northwood, Rossford, few other places or East Toledo if you're talking only about the city.

Oh, and thanks for the info about the traveling, assignments. Kind of you.
Old 01-29-18, 09:31 PM
Varsity

ILikeSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Pretty sure google lives in p-burg. Never saw it on the road around here. We wouldn't take the turnpike to the airport, airport costs enough. 10-15 minutes to hitch the ride to the Miami interchange. Another 10-15 not getting a ride because Rossford are cheap-paranoid btards so another 5 waving a gun around. Then 20-30 to the airport.

and it's capitalized moron. East Side, if you're including Genoa, oregon, Northwood, Rossford, few other places or East Toledo if you're talking only about the city.

Oh, and thanks for the info about the traveling, assignments. Kind of you.
That was an interesting response. I especially liked the part where you called me a moron for not capitalizing east side and then proceded to not capitalize Oregon. Sorry it takes so long to get to the airport.
Old 01-30-18, 06:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSports View Post
That was an interesting response. I especially liked the part where you called me a moron for not capitalizing east side and then proceded to not capitalize Oregon. Sorry it takes so long to get to the airport.
j/k "moron" meant in the friendliest way possible and oregon is our rivals. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by eastisbest; 01-30-18 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 07:40 AM
Junior Varsity

braygatron4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Now anyone know about the other, when we will know when games are?
I believe the ballots are closed, although not 100% sure. The coaches attend a small little powwow where they cast their rankings and count them up. Should be next weekend, often the Thursday before the draw.

And the tournament draw for the entire state is next Sunday, February 11th.
Old 01-30-18, 09:19 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Ba...ourneyRegs.pdf

IX. TOURNAMENT DRAW AND SEEDING PROCEDURE
Note: The established date and time for all seeding and drawing meetings is Sunday, February 4, 2018 (Girls) at 2:00
p.m. and Sunday, February 11, 2018 (Boys) at 2:00 p.m.
Seeding is mandatory in Sectional Tournaments that precede District Tournaments. Combined Sectional/District
Tournaments and District Tournaments not proceeded by Sectional Tournaments.
Note: This is to be interpreted that at least one seeding is to take place in either the Sectional or District Tournament.
The following seeding method shall prevail for all OHSAA Sponsored Basketball Tournaments. All teams assigned to the first
round of the tournament shall be seeded. For purposes of seeding, the last games to be counted will be those played on the
date established by the District Athletic Board.
Revised 10/25/2017
Page 3
Basketball Tournament Seeding Procedure

A. Posting and Recording Team Records
Tournament managers will post the records of all teams in their tournament. It is the responsibility of each school to
have its records compiled as shown below and given to the tournament manager prior to the start of seed voting.
The records will include the number of wins and losses in the divisions of the teams played.
For Example: A Division I team with a 20 game schedule
Division I opponents: 12 wins 4 losses
Division II opponents: 3 wins 1 loss
*All games played shall be recorded

B. Voting Procedures for seeding teams
All head coaches shall vote via ballot which shall be made public, selecting their choice for #1 seeded team. The
team with the greatest number of votes shall be seeded #1, second highest #2, until all teams are seeded. In case of
a tie, only the tied teams will be re-voted upon. If a tie should occur the second time, a flip of the coin shall determine
the seeded team.
NOTE: If electronic balloting is utilized in a particular District, the results shall be sent to the manager and made
public by the manager at the drawing meeting.

C. Placement of Teams on Brackets
Each District Athletic Board (DAB) shall determine placement of teams on brackets. Regulations for placement for
each district can be found by navigating to the following websites:
Central District Athletic Board: www.cdab.org
East District Athletic Board: www.eastohsaa.com
Northeast District Athletic Board: www.nedab.org
Northwest District Athletic Board: www.nwdab.org
Southeast District Athletic Board: www.seodab.org
Southwest District Athletic Board: www.swdab.org

If a school fails to have a representative present at the seeding and drawing meeting, the manager shall place the
school(s) on the bracket in accordance with the DAB’s seeding protocol.
Sample brackets are distributed to each manager. Samples of brackets are included in the manager’s materials and
can also be found at www.ohsaa.org.

The tournament manager will distribute brackets to representatives of participating teams.
All brackets shall designate date and time of game with the home team being listed on the top of the bracket.
Brackets which include a ‘bye’ will have that ‘bye’ drawn on a bracket to represent it as a “Home” team.
Old 01-30-18, 05:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post
Northwest District Athletic Board: www.nwdab.org
Thank you CP that was very informative and helpful. I edited down that bit so I can have it handy. Didn't see any games in the neighborhood, a shame. But Central isn't far. Nice place to see a game, even if you can't get a seat. It's like the basketball version of hanging at the fence in football. There's not many places you can do that.
Old 01-31-18, 05:03 PM
Freshman

Deboclutch is on a distinguished road
What's the take on Sizemore in Perrysburg. I hear he's a pretty solid player

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-18, 10:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboclutch View Post
What's the take on Sizemore in Perrysburg. I hear he's a pretty solid player
If you don't get response here, there's an NLL thread you might try.

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthre...32#post6969832
Old 02-02-18, 10:38 AM
Freshman

T-town is on a distinguished road
TAAC primetime matchup tonight @ MV

Toledo Christian 13-3 8-2 vs. Maumee Valley 13-3 7-2

*Keys to the Game
-Players to watch
Delano Smith is on a tear typical TC senior pt. guard attacks the rim, plays d and make free throws
Zeb Jackson leads the league in scoring but can he gets others involved and make the correct read this time. (TC and CS frustrated him with denials and double teams)
Jaiden Woodley top 5 in scoring and leads the league in rebounding can MV utilize him against a small TC frontcourt
Landon McGill can make shots, can he get hot from 3 and keep it going for a momentum shift like laskt game

Biggest Coaching - which coach can make adjustments and put players in position to succeed.

This is for 2nd place in the TAAC but for 1st -3rd in Districts for D4 this game is huge.
Not on TV.
Old 02-05-18, 08:52 AM
All District

Nice win by Maumee Valley over Toledo Christian. The on court product is flying under the radar. Looks like they will be a 2 seed with a chance of a 1 seed if they win Friday night vs Stritch.

They have a very good shot at getting out of the district.

Pettisville 16-2
Maumee Valley 14-3
Toledo Christian 13-4
Stryker 12-5
Fayette 11-7
Ottawa Hills 10-7
Montpelier 8-10
Emmanuel Christian 6-10
Edgerton 6-11
North Central 6-12
Hilltop 2-14
Edon 2-15
Old 02-05-18, 09:38 AM
All District

D3 Central Catholic - Records and games before draw

Cardinal Stritch 16-1 Danbury, Maumee Valley
Archbold 14-3 Liberty Center
Genoa 14-3 Otsego, Woodmore
Woodmore 13-3 Elmwood, Genoa, Rossford
Otsego 12-5 Genoa, Fostoria
Eastwood 10-6 Fostoria, Rossford
Evergreen 9-8 Patrick Henry, Fayette

Delta 6-10
Lake 6-11
Rossford 5-11
Swanton 5-12
Gibsonburg 4-10
Liberty Center 3-14
Northwood 1-18
Old 02-06-18, 11:54 AM
Varsity

MVCDS length and quickness disrupted Toledo Christian. It will be interesting to see if they are able to repeat a similar performance this Friday vs. Cardinal Stritch.

If MV are able to pull to quality wins vs. two top ranked teams back to back then they may be a force in the Districts and have a legit chance to make it to BG. Big Maybe.
Old 02-09-18, 03:44 PM
All District

Looks like MVCDS and TC could end up 2 and 3 seeds. Whoever is the 3 seed may go after the assumed 1 seed (Pettisville) to avoid playing each other until a potential all TAAC district final.
Old 02-14-18, 09:01 AM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Wish I could have seen the game last night. Sounds like it was a good one.

It is nice to see both teams rounding into their expected form in time for the playoffs.
Old 02-14-18, 10:45 AM
All Yappi

Isn't MV is a lower division than CS? Opinions on why CS was having difficulty maintaining the lead? Or I suppose vise versa, why wasn't MV able to keep CS from getting a large lead?
Old 02-14-18, 01:04 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Isn't MV is a lower division than CS? Opinions on why CS was having difficulty maintaining the lead? Or I suppose vise versa, why wasn't MV able to keep CS from getting a large lead?
Yes MV is D4 and CS is D3.
CS had problems when MV switched to half court trap their length gave them problems and caused turnovers. They had a 15pt lead they let slip and allowed MV back in game. One has to wonder what the outcome would've been if MV was a full strength.

CS perimeter is solid, I don't know if they have the bigs to make a run in the state. The same can be said for MV if Woodley is lost for the season, they are strong on the perimeter but weak in the middle as well.

Great atmosphere and game.
Old 02-14-18, 02:00 PM
All District

Quote:
Stritch was up 17 in the 3rd. They took some quick shots vs the trap and also had a few turnovers.

The 4th quarter had no flow. 20 of Stritch's 24 points came from the foul line. I think I saw that Stritch took over 45 foul shots for the game. They struggled to keep Coleman off the glass. That kid is going to be very good.

Shot selection and defined rolls are MV's biggest issue. Both team's guards are tough. Stritch's guards are a little bigger/physical than MV. Stritch's bigs seem to understand that their roll is to defend, rebound and take shots around the rim created by the guards. MV's bigs took some shots their coach may want back.

This game was a lot like the Ottawa Hills game with Stritch seeming to set it on cruise after fighting to big leads.

Both teams have a ton coming back and should have some entertaining games again next year.

Last edited by Cardboard Palace; 02-14-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 02:17 PM
Junior Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Is Woodley out for the season?

Stritch shot 49 free throws and MV shot 31 (or something like that). I thought Stritch's shot selection left something to be desired in the second half plus they missed a lot of zero footers. Maybe it's me, but it seemed like MV got a ton of offensive boards.
Old 02-14-18, 04:51 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Defense and rebounding in the 4th quarter was an issue for Stritch. The Blade says Stritch scored 24 in the 4th and MV still closed the gap. So they must have given up close to 30 points in the quarter. The most they had given up in an entire game this year was 59.

I'll have to re-watch the game, but could swear there must have been 25 points scored combined in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter foul fest.

Exciting game, but not one of the cleaner games for either team.

Woodley was on crutches....a shame to see that happen to a quality kid and ball player.
Old 02-14-18, 05:36 PM
Freshman

Deboclutch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Defense and rebounding in the 4th quarter was an issue for Stritch. The Blade says Stritch scored 24 in the 4th and MV still closed the gap. So they must have given up close to 30 points in the quarter. The most they had given up in an entire game this year was 59.

I'll have to re-watch the game, but could swear there must have been 25 points scored combined in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter foul fest.

Exciting game, but not one of the cleaner games for either team.

Woodley was on crutches....a shame to see that happen to a quality kid and ball player.
The report I received is that Stritch had 49 fT attempts with 24 of those in the 4th qtr if I'm quoting correctly ...49!! I'm not sure if the fact it wasn't a clean game, from your perspective, was due to the officials or the players. 49??!! It's gotta be tough to get teams from other cities or states to wanna play in Toledo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk