Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-18, 08:53 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
ohiopup,

Wow, did that picture of your bug-eyed Sprite ever bring back some great memories from the early sixties for me !

Our senior year in high school ( class of '63) my best friend had a 1960 Austin Healy Sprite and I bought my first car, a 1957 MG Roadster. As I look back I can't believe how cool we thought we were at the time, lol.

My grandmother loaned me the money to buy the car and I paid her back from my part-time job at Kroger's. I owned my MG for less than two years and ended up selling it for college tuition and related living expenses in Columbus. I actually was "carless" until 1967 when I bought a 1962 Corvair after landing my first full-time job in the real world !

Thanks for posting the picture, it brightened up my day.

JB
Old 02-14-18, 07:04 AM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your kind words, Bevo, Monclova Steve, and Zunardo.

Ohiopup, I'd heard that tune before but didn't know the name. I'll bet you would like "The Planets" by Gustav Holst.

My first car was a 1974 Mercury Capri. It was two years old when I bought it, and I replaced nearly every moving part of that lemon in the first two years! The transmission was bad, the starter had to be replaced, the ignition went out, the fuses blew, the heater vent wouldn't close, the water pump broke, and the part that sprays the gas into whatever it sprays into was replaced. It had a vinyl hardtop that I ruined with Armor All. I didn't know it contained a drying agent and it made my vinyl peel off. What a horrible car! But I loved it. Kept it until the universal joint went out at 60000 miles four years after I got it.
Old 02-14-18, 07:40 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Sometimes I want to go buy some bondo, just to smell recall memories. I think all the things I wouldn't dare try to fix on my modern car that I did without thought to save money on the, yes, 1976 Ford Pinto. Changed brakes, quarter panels, radiator, lamps, timed ignition and valves, aligned wheels, changed oil.... I can't even get the battery out of this new car. Took the AAA 45 minutes.

Other than a close and play for 45's (Melanie, sigh), I didn't have a player of my own until grad school. My undergrad roommate had one, small town Indiana boy into New Wave: Elvis Costello, DEVO, Brians Eno and Ferrie, Bowie.... We thought he MIGHT be gay. High voice, mannerism, "weird" music.... He went on to have three kids, was a deacon and an uncountable number of patents, lol I noted in the last alum magazine he just passed. R.I.P. Greg!

Wasn't until grad school I had money to buy a stereo. A buddy and I walked to the store, had an out-door flea market set up. I still have some of those albums. Since I didn't follow music, I decided to go eclectic. Diamond Dogs, Eagles, Alan Parsons, Joni Mitchel, Carol King.. and what turned out to be my fav: Bach, "Musical Offering," St Martin in the Fields. Students on the floor would just walk in, pull it off the shelf, put it on just to listen to the opening salvo. My roommate went a bit nutso, they walked him out. Hope it helped him. Took a few days for me to discover, my album also had walked out. Ma tracked it down at a music store in Ann Arbor, who congratulated her on her son's taste. Sits in the garage while I listen to a less than steller CD.
Old 02-14-18, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
The song for today...

Released in February 1965... Just in time for Valentine's day
It eventually climbed to #1.

Hugs and Hearts to all...

:>---

EGA
Old 02-14-18, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

Bonus...

Sign in Roosters...

Love is grand, Divorce is 20 grand!

EGA
Old 02-14-18, 10:10 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Thanks ohiopup; great videos!

Aretha Franklin recorded “Respect” on this day, February, 14, 1967, at Atlantic Studios (NYC). I didn't realize that Aretha’s version added the “Sock it to me, sock it to me”, the “R-E-S-P-E-C-T”. These changes gave new meaning to Otis Redding's 1965 original.

ROCK ON!
Old 02-14-18, 11:03 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Boy, lots of interesting stuff here! The Book Of Love by Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders certainly bent my mind - as did all of the British Invasion.

A little here and there... I drove my dad's work car and my mom's car. Both were a stick on the column and HAD no radio. My friends use to say that's where I got my verbosity. Gotta have some ambient noise on a date; usually that was me.

I wrecked my dad's work car a month after I got my license. I was turning into our high school to the left and a guy tried to pass me. T-boned me good. My friend Kim and I said I had the turn signal on. I believe I did. I felt bad because the guy who hit me had dated my sister in the late 50's and bought me a coon - skin cap during the Davy Crockett craze. When I was little they sat on our porch swing, at night smoking and making out.

I wrecked another of my dad's cars (this was an automatic abut still no radio) when I was driving way too fast on a stone road, crested a hill and found before me a car sitting in the road with parkers in it. I was probably going 70 went i hit the brakes and swerved from side to side and hit a small bridge guard rail and knocked it clean into a small creek. No Davy Crockett this time.

I had another of my dad's work cars that he took the column shifter off and put it on the floor. It was a '56 Chevy. It was full of dirty tools in the back seat and at times I had to carry buckets of water with me for the radiator.

My dad in his job was also allowed to fill five gallon , steel nozzled cans with gas for driving the crane he operated. We always had gasoline at our house. I did not buy gas until I was 22. One of the riskier parts of this proposition was that the cans - full - were often left in the trunk. I had more explosive power than McVeigh had in that truck.

Along with communication devices, my mom bought me a transistor radio once at an Arlen's store in Tiffin. Two transistor! In Upper it didn't work. She said it worked in Tiffin and I explained that she was picking up the Tiffin station. This led to the eventual purchase of the previously, lovingly discussed , aqua, eight transistor beauty that took me through high school.

I had an eight track once that my girl bought for me. I had a Three-Dog Night and Steppenwolf eight tracks. It was sort of put in correctly but things were hanging our under the dash. Remember it took a lot of tools to put one of those in an old car.

My best friend had a brand new '67 MG with the cloth top. We drove the crap out of it and basically tore it up in two years. I recall vividly during a Christmas break in the late 60's he and I going to the mall in Marion. He had no working heater and it was frigid out. We heard Itchy Coo Park, Pictures of Matchstick Men and Come on down to My Boat Baby on the radio.

I was not a classical music listener. I don't believe my parents had a radio in the house until I was already gone. there was a small record palyer with a handle that my brother's wife had left there when they married. I used that to play Shout, Speedy Gonzalez by Pat Boone, Dream by The Everlys, Mashed Potatoes by Dee Dee Sharp and Quarter 'til Three by Gary Bonds. ("Well don;'t you know that I danced 'til a quarter to three." I did have a pretty nice record player when I was 14 and used it constantly. Favorite song for awhile You Didn't Have to be So Nice by The Spoonful and anything Beatles.

For a couple of years in that era all teens went to the bowling alley - especially after games - home or away. There my three plays for a quarter would be Ruby Tuesday, Shout and NO MILK TODAY.

A final note: those of us of a certain age will recall the comic stylings of Martin and Rossi. Steve Martin (no, not that one) and Marty Ross.

Marty Ross died yesterday at 95.

In that much simplier time, Rossi and Allen with his wild frizzy hairdo would come out and do mother-in-law jokes, etc and eventually get to a spot where Allen would always say, "Hello dere." It was funny then. They were part of a slice of show business that just isn't seen anymore - the comic duo with the straight man and the goof. They did all of the talk and variety shows and played Vegas for years. Very funny, safe and active for a long time.

They had one other distinction that makes it relevant for this thread over the last 18 years. Several will know this. What was this distinguishing fact that only they and just a few shared?

And, amazingly enough, a future rock singer performed and was one of the few to do so. Who was this? He would be very famous in three years.

RIP Marty Allen - you made me laugh as a kid.

Great stuff by all!!

Last edited by Bevo; 02-14-18 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
A final note: those of us of a certain age will recall the comic stylings of Martin and Rossi. Steve Martin (no, not that one) and Marty Ross.

In that much simpler time, Rossi and Allen with his wild frizzy hairdo would come out and do mother-in-law jokes, etc and eventually get to a spot where Allen would always say, "Hello dere." It was funny then. They were part of a slice of show business that just isn't seen anymore - the comic duo with the straight man and the goof. They did all of the talk and variety shows and played Vegas for years. Very funny, safe and active for a long time.

They had one other distinction that makes it relevant for this thread over the last 18 years. Several will know this. What was this distinguishing fact that only they and just a few shared?

And, amazingly enough, a future rock singer performed and was one of the few to do so. Who was this? He would be very famous in three years.

RIP Marty Allen - you made me laugh as a kid.

Great stuff by all!!

Marty was 95.

Marty Allen / WWII Vet - USAAC (That's United States Army Air Corps / The
USAF would not exist as a separate branch until 1947)...

(wiki) ...Allen joined the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. He was stationed in Italy where he attained the rank of sergeant and earned a Soldier's Medal for his bravery during a fire which happened while a plane was being refueled. His heroism also earned him a full-dress parade

Soldier's Medal : The criteria for the medal are: The Soldier's Medal is awarded to any person of the Armed Forces of the United States or of a
friendly foreign nation who, while serving in any capacity with the Army of the United States, including Reserve Component soldiers not serving
in a duty status at the time of the heroic act, distinguished himself or herself by heroism not involving actual conflict with an enemy.

Steve Rossi his partner is still alive (age 82)

EGA

Last edited by ohiopup; 02-14-18 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 01:17 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Marty Ross died yesterday at 95.

In that much simplier time, Rossi and Allen with his wild frizzy hairdo would come out and do mother-in-law jokes, etc and eventually get to a spot where Allen would always say, "Hello dere." It was funny then. They were part of a slice of show business that just isn't seen anymore - the comic duo with the straight man and the goof. They did all of the talk and variety shows and played Vegas for years. Very funny, safe and active for a long time.

Wow - Allen & Rossi. I thought I was the only person who remembered them. Did not know Marty Allen was that old.

I think I first noticed them on TV in 1969 or 1970. Marty was a fairly frequent guest on Hollywood Squares, and the team of Allen & Rossi were a regular staple on the variety shows that still existed back then.

My personal favorite was the 1966 movie they starred in, a zany spy spoof called "The Last of the Secret Agents". I remember watching that on TV by myself one Friday night when I was in middle school, great mindless entertainment. It was right up there with "The Maltese Bippy".

Trivia challenge, what was it that they and only a few others shared? Hmmm - the only thing I can think of would be that they were one of the few times on Hollywood Squares where two celebrities occupied a single square. If that's the case, the Hudson Brothers might be the only 3-person team to occupy a square.

ohiopup - I believe Steve Rossi passed away a few years ago at age 82.
Old 02-14-18, 01:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
...ohiopup - I believe Steve Rossi passed away a few years ago at age 82.
You are correct ~ I was up way too early this AM.

EGA
Old 02-14-18, 04:43 PM
All American

Zunardo - thanks for playing the home version of our game! That is incorrect but thanks on behalf of the Hudson Brothers for the shout out.

I KNOW JB knows the answer to both of these questions. Probably OWK too.

Anyone - gonna let it ride for awhile.
Old 02-14-18, 05:47 PM
All American

Zunardo - No, it's hard to believe how old Marty was - until I realize that I was a child when I first saw him and now... .

Also, I said that this "thing" that happened to Rossi and Allen included a few other people; here are the main ones: a trapeze act, Georgia Brown, the Cast of Oliver and someone named Tessie O'shea.

The person who would be a rock star in three-short years was a member of the Cast of Oliver.

Anyone?
Old 02-14-18, 06:27 PM
All Yappi

Pure guess...

Peter Noone?

EGA
Old 02-14-18, 07:05 PM
All American

ohiopup - that is a good guess but alas while it's the correct age group it is not correct.

This event just passed its 54th. anniversary. I was a "lad" of 12.
Old 02-14-18, 07:37 PM
All Region

Any Valentine's dates tonight? My husband and I made a quick trip to the local Mexican restaurant, then back home to continue moving everything out of his office and into the game room and my sewing room since we're getting new carpet on Monday. We have to paint the room Saturday. We're redoing almost the whole top floor before our sons and daughter-in-law visit later in March. So much to do, but it will be really nice. I get a new office, and we're creating a home gym in the game room. I train for triathlons every day, and he's training for an Ironman, so we have stuff everywhere.

This is a good opportunity to get the junk out, though. There's lots of that. I'll be dead tired tonight. Our reward for finishing this moving about will be the German chocolate cake I made (from scratch as there is no other way) that he loves.

Try if you can to beat our romantic evening.
Old 02-14-18, 08:39 PM
All American

We actually buy a spray of flowers and display it on the kitchen table.

We ate without an adult child around and enjoyed immensely fine dinning of hamburger gravy and taters.

Oh, and I just took the trash down to the road.

When I was in school we all made valentine boxes and for a week or so deposited individual valentines in whose ever box we wanted. The valentines were all different since that's how you bought them. They weren't tiny little cards with sayings like "Hey, hot stuff!" I actually wrote precise individual messages to whatever gal I was a courtin'.

Sadly, the girls back then even had their own "Me Too" movement as in "Did you get a card from that goofball?" "Yeah, Me Too!"

Happy vValentines. everyone!
Old 02-14-18, 11:45 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Okay, trying again - Rossi & Allen performed on the Ed Sullivan show the same night the Beatles had their debut?

Quote:

Sadly, the girls back then even had their own "Me Too" movement as in "Did you get a card from that goofball?" "Yeah, Me Too!"
Good one!
Old 02-15-18, 06:24 AM
All American

Yes! Your persistence pays off.

Also, in the cast of Oliver performing that night, was a young Davy Jones. In a couple of years he would audition for and join the tv cast of The Monkees.
Old 02-15-18, 07:40 AM
All American

Just a note today on the passing of the original Tito Francona as Terry's father passed away Monday at the age of 84.

Tito, who I actually recall playing in the early 60's was a very decent player in his own right.

He was a co-rookie of the year in '56 with a young slugger from Baltimore by the name of Rocky Colavito.

Francona had a 11 year career and hit .363 in '59, but missed qualifying for the batting title by 34 at bats. He finished fifth that season for the American League MVP.
Lifetime he hit .272 with 125 home runs and 656 rbi's.

He threw out the first pitch in game six of 2016 World Series in Cleveland. Tito lived in Pennslyvania and regularly made the 90 mile trip to Cleveland.

Being that close to the Tribe, he was a frequent visitor to the ball park and relished every bit of his son's teams - especially since he had played for the Indians for six years.

rip - Tito Francona
Old 02-15-18, 10:41 AM
All World

Quote:
Just a note today on the passing of the original Tito Francona as Terry's father passed away Monday at the age of 84.

Tito, who I actually recall playing in the early 60's was a very decent player in his own right.

He was a co-rookie of the year in '56 with a young slugger from Baltimore by the name of Rocky Colavito.

Francona had a 11 year career and hit .363 in '59, but missed qualifying for the batting title by 34 at bats. He finished fifth that season for the American League MVP.
Lifetime he hit .272 with 125 home runs and 656 rbi's.

He threw out the first pitch in game six of 2016 World Series in Cleveland. Tito lived in Pennslyvania and regularly made the 90 mile trip to Cleveland.

Being that close to the Tribe, he was a frequent visitor to the ball park and relished every bit of his son's teams - especially since he had played for the Indians for six years.

rip - Tito Francona
Thanks Bevo and, yes, Tito Francona was a good one (especially in 1959). I checked out the rest of the Cleveland Indians roster from 1959. Here are some "names from the past" for our older posters. The starters are at the bottom of the page and Rocky Colavito was the highest paid Indian earning $28,000:
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/team...p?y=1959&t=CLE

ROCK ON!
Old 02-15-18, 06:24 PM
All American

That's quite a group and they were good!

Gotta love some of these guys: Minnie Minoso (played in six decades - although two were "staged" ; still four decades is not too shabby).

Mudcat Grant - terrible announcer (with Harry Jones) to the extent that he was good. Left the Tribe and led the Twins to the '65 World Series.

Piersal - good wacky ball player; just passed in the last year or so.

Chuck Tanner - managed either the White Sox or Pirates and was pretty successful.

George Strickland - managed the Indians for awhile.

Billy Martin - near the end of his playing career and he wasn't bad. But the next two decades would be his legacy. I know he managed the Yankees 4 or 5 times, The A's, Tigers, Rangers; could be more. Read a bio on him - a real ####!

Rocky -the home run champ was traded for batting champ, Harvey Kuien (sp.?) Trader Frank Lane did that. Brought back to the Indians in '65 to save the franchise from moving and had a couple of decent years. Of course, as part of the deal, the Indians let go a young skinny pitcher named Tommy John, who in addition to having a medical procedure named after him, pitched for about 25 more years. I believe the Indians as part of this deal also acquired the immortal Joe Azcue, catcher.

Gordy Coleman - I believe had some good years with the Reds.

Vic Power - flashy first baseman.

Jim Perry - brother to 300 game winner Gaylord and not bad. Probably totaled out at about 200 wins.

Mike (The Big Bear) Garcia - near the end of a hall of fame career - right?

Herbie - what if?

Gary Bell - probably could have won 250 games with another organization. Ding Dong! Saw him strike out the side live with the bases loaded against the old Senators in the tenth inning. Probably in ' 62 or "63 I believe he had gone the distance.

An old story but in light of how the country seems today, worth repeating:

Once a year our local Lion's Club would buy tickets for a Sat. afternoon (there were no Sat. night games, remember?) and take a group of boys (girls were not excluded - they just didn't show up, but I know they probably weren't really expected to) to a game in August.

Kids who wanted to go assembled at the front of the courthouse with a sack lunch in hand. Then at 9:00 a group of cars would pull up and we would all pile in. I never did know these men drivers. No parents in sight. Just gone for the day. When they returned to Upper you were dropped off where you started.

A couple of bucks for souvenirs. Get back around 5:00. No fast way to go; two lane roads most of the way.

I actually did this between the ages of 8-13. Could you imagine this today!?

It's how many of us out here so far from the ball park were able to see major league games. At the first one I went to, we were in left field and batting practice was underway. Woody Held hit me on the foot with a b.p. h.r.

Eight years later I caught a foul ball when I was on a date!! (Alas, this was the first Mrs. Bevo.)

Good times.
Old 02-15-18, 08:20 PM
All World

Quote:
That's quite a group and they were good!

Gotta love some of these guys: Minnie Minoso (played in six decades - although two were "staged" ; still four decades is not too shabby).

Mudcat Grant - terrible announcer (with Harry Jones) to the extent that he was good. Left the Tribe and led the Twins to the '65 World Series.

Piersal - good wacky ball player; just passed in the last year or so.

Chuck Tanner - managed either the White Sox or Pirates and was pretty successful.

George Strickland - managed the Indians for awhile.

Billy Martin - near the end of his playing career and he wasn't bad. But the next two decades would be his legacy. I know he managed the Yankees 4 or 5 times, The A's, Tigers, Rangers; could be more. Read a bio on him - a real ####!

Rocky -the home run champ was traded for batting champ, Harvey Kuien (sp.?) Trader Frank Lane did that. Brought back to the Indians in '65 to save the franchise from moving and had a couple of decent years. Of course, as part of the deal, the Indians let go a young skinny pitcher named Tommy John, who in addition to having a medical procedure named after him, pitched for about 25 more years. I believe the Indians as part of this deal also acquired the immortal Joe Azcue, catcher.

Gordy Coleman - I believe had some good years with the Reds.

Vic Power - flashy first baseman.

Jim Perry - brother to 300 game winner Gaylord and not bad. Probably totaled out at about 200 wins.

Mike (The Big Bear) Garcia - near the end of a hall of fame career - right?

Herbie - what if?

Gary Bell - probably could have won 250 games with another organization. Ding Dong! Saw him strike out the side live with the bases loaded against the old Senators in the tenth inning. Probably in ' 62 or "63 I believe he had gone the distance.

An old story but in light of how the country seems today, worth repeating:

Once a year our local Lion's Club would buy tickets for a Sat. afternoon (there were no Sat. night games, remember?) and take a group of boys (girls were not excluded - they just didn't show up, but I know they probably weren't really expected to) to a game in August.

Kids who wanted to go assembled at the front of the courthouse with a sack lunch in hand. Then at 9:00 a group of cars would pull up and we would all pile in. I never did know these men drivers. No parents in sight. Just gone for the day. When they returned to Upper you were dropped off where you started.

A couple of bucks for souvenirs. Get back around 5:00. No fast way to go; two lane roads most of the way.

I actually did this between the ages of 8-13. Could you imagine this today!?

It's how many of us out here so far from the ball park were able to see major league games. At the first one I went to, we were in left field and batting practice was underway. Woody Held hit me on the foot with a b.p. h.r.

Eight years later I caught a foul ball when I was on a date!! (Alas, this was the first Mrs. Bevo.)

Good times.
Love your comments, Bevo! Maybe it was due to that period of time, maybe it was due our being young, maybe it was due to sports not being big business, but those were some good times. Today with the multi-million dollar contracts, it's tough to see a player spend his entire career with one franchise. Regardless of the case, I know that (like you) I really enjoyed growing up as a Cleveland sports fan. Of course, when Jim Brown played for the Brownies, it was a little easier and much more enjoyable to watch the Cleveland Browns.

To quote another old-time Clevelander, "Thanks for the memories".

ROCK ON!
Old 02-15-18, 09:29 PM
All Yappi

The radio voice of the Indians... Jimmy Dudley!

EGA
Old 02-15-18, 10:35 PM
All American

Who was Jimmy Dudley's partner? Was it Bob Neal? They hated each other.

What was Dudley's sign off phrase? Something that ended with "ya hear?"

I liked the tv guys who did pre and post game stuff: John Fitzgerald and Dave Martin. OWK and I talked long ago about John Fitzgerald standing and doing the post game on the field after yet another loss. The small crowd rapidly dwindling. As a kid there was nothing sadder to me than watching the human debris from a doubleheader blowing in the swirly winds of Municipal Stadium as Fitzgerald covered all of the baseball played on a Sunday afternoon.

B & B Appliance sponsored a lot of Indians' games and I can religiously hear Fitzgerald saying that "B & B Appliance is located just East of The Babbit Road Exit." I didn't have a clue where in the hell that was but I felt like I did.
Old 02-15-18, 10:56 PM
All World

Yep, Jimmy Dudley and Bob Neal. What a duo! Also Bevo, I certainly remember John Fitzgerald saying that "B & B Appliance is located just East of The Babbit Road Exit."

Who could ever forget Jimmy Dudley, his famous commercial and the jingle?

ROCK ON!
Old 02-15-18, 11:14 PM
All American

Forever etched (burned) into my brain.

Bucks blew but Purdue? What!?
Old 02-15-18, 11:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Forever etched (burned) into my brain.

Bucks blew but Purdue? What!?
A tough night for two of Ohio's ranked teams. Fortunately for Monclova Steve, Xavier didn't play tonight (but they have Villanova on Saturday). #5 Cincinnati was upset at Houston, 67-62, and #8 Ohio State lost at Penn State, 79-56. UC is no longer undefeated in conference play. #6 Purdue also lost on the road to Wisconsin, 57-53.

All I have to say is that this year's NCAA "March Madness" is going to be the most unpredictable in many years. There are lots of pretty good teams, but nobody actually stands out. It's almost like the top teams are playing "musical chairs" in the rankings.

ROCK ON!
Old 02-16-18, 07:24 AM
All Region

The knowledge and stats you all have in your memories astounds me.

Here's my only contribution to the baseball talk: when I was about eleven years old in Kennewick, WA, Vernon Law and his son Vance stayed at our house overnight. I think they were speaking somewhere. They are members of my church, so maybe that was the connection. My dad was the type of guy who knew EVERYONE. I had no idea he was as great a baseball player as he was at the time.

Does anyone know who The Three D's were? They were a folk group, played guitars and an upright bass. They stayed at our house, too. They put on a little concert in our living room. I remember the song "Bowling Green" quite well. Every single time I hear those words "bowling green", I have to run through the song in my head. It's driving me a little nuts because the construction company I'm a bookkeeper for is putting the roof on the new Bowling Green Middle School, so I hear that song in my head every day when I come across those words!
Old 02-16-18, 11:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
The knowledge and stats you all have in your memories astounds me.

Here's my only contribution to the baseball talk: when I was about eleven years old in Kennewick, WA, Vernon Law and his son Vance stayed at our house overnight. I think they were speaking somewhere. They are members of my church, so maybe that was the connection. My dad was the type of guy who knew EVERYONE. I had no idea he was as great a baseball player as he was at the time.

Does anyone know who The Three D's were? They were a folk group, played guitars and an upright bass. They stayed at our house, too. They put on a little concert in our living room. I remember the song "Bowling Green" quite well. Every single time I hear those words "bowling green", I have to run through the song in my head. It's driving me a little nuts because the construction company I'm a bookkeeper for is putting the roof on the new Bowling Green Middle School, so I hear that song in my head every day when I come across those words!
Diva- Very interesting that your family hosted Vern Law and, also, The Three D's.

Bob Prince, the legendary announcer for the Pittsburgh Pirates, used to refer to Vern Law as "Deacon". That, of course, was due to his being an ordained priest/minister in the LDS Church. I believe his son also played in MLB. "Deacon's" best year was probably 1960 when the Pirates won the World Series on Billy Mazeroski's famous walk-off home run vs. the Yankees.

Believe it or not, I remember the Everly Brothers singing "Bowling Green". I would guess that's the same tune done by The Three D's.

As always, good stuff. Thanks for the post

ROCK ON!
Old 02-16-18, 01:37 PM
All American

Diva tops us all by having Vern Law literally in the house! Love it! This actually exceeds the Doris Day - aka - Connie Curtis - information from a while back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: