Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-04-18, 06:09 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Though this isn't a baseball/fast-pitch board, the Ohio run spread rule is slightly different than in PA (just in case someone is reading bkmk1's post and doing a double-take).

If you're creating "outs" and doing it with obscure rules, I think that is appropriately showing restraint -- if it's being done in a way that's discreet.

Generally speaking you will see baseball/softball teams try and show restraint when the game is beyond the margin of competition but before the run spread will terminate the game (if the pitcher can't get the ball over the plate, there's not much that can be done, more a problem in bad fast-pitch than bad baseball; similarly if the infield defense is horrid, either FP or BB, the hands are tied)
Old 08-05-18, 06:49 AM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Deliberately getting called out isn't "class," it's insulting.
Maybe to you. But many coaches have come up to me after the game and said thanks for not running up the score. It's become a common practice. But yet you think winning 50-0 isn't insulting and winning with class? Wow! We also had a HS Football team win a football game a few years back 90-0. You probably think that's ok. Sorry, but we will never agree on this. I would much rather end it at 15-0 than keep playing and win (XX)to 0. (plug in big numbers for the XX). Neither side gets anything out of a 50-0 humiliation. And I feel the same way about football. If softball/baseball can just end the game at mercy rule time, there is no reason that football can't do the same. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Last edited by bkmk1; 08-05-18 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-05-18, 07:19 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
But yet you think winning 50-0 isn't insulting and winning with class? Wow!
It could be, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
After you get done repeatedly insulting me you say that I am entitled to my opinion. Such a classy guy.

I coached in several hundred high school games and contests. If you had your players deliberately put themselves out I wouldn't like it.
Old 08-05-18, 08:15 AM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
I think the running clock is denying a lot of kids playing time by trying to protect against the extremes. The real way to protect against the extremes is by scheduling more balanced competition.
Old 08-05-18, 09:31 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
I think the running clock is denying a lot of kids playing time by trying to protect against the extremes. The real way to protect against the extremes is by scheduling more balanced competition.
I feel the same way. But that is a lot easier said than done. AD's don't always listen to the coaches input when it comes to scheduling.
Old 08-05-18, 09:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
It could be, yes.

After you get done repeatedly insulting me you say that I am entitled to my opinion. Such a classy guy.

I coached in several hundred high school games and contests. If you had your players deliberately put themselves out I wouldn't like it.
Not really sure exactly where I insulted you. And by no means is/was that my intent. I was simply making a point about winning with class. And we simply disagree about what that can and does look like.
Old 08-05-18, 09:39 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hard to do when your league requires you to play 7 or more games against other league opponents.
Old 08-05-18, 09:56 AM
All Region

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
I agree. If both head coaches agree to keep playing with a 30+ point deficit, then let them play. I only like the rule if the team with a 30+ lead doesn't make some adjustments. The rule was implemented to protect sportsmanship and respect which some HCs don't show.
Old 08-05-18, 11:43 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I understand your point, but as far as the "keep playing," that was the old rule. At any time the coaches could mutually decide to shorten the game, but I don't think I ever heard of a game where they agreed to do that.

And who would decide how much of "some" adjustments is enough, the referee? Give the coaches and fans one more subjective decision to complain about? Never going to happen.
Old 08-05-18, 01:13 PM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
At any time the coaches could mutually decide to shorten the game, but I don't think I ever heard of a game where they agreed to do that.
I have heard of it happening especially when it involves an out of state or Canadien team. Like I said before:
Quote:
Canfield had one game that started late due to thunder/lightning in which they were up by 5 TDs after the 1st quarter and the visiting team requested the remaining quarters be shortened and to forego the halftime show in the interest of time. The 2nd quarter took about 5 minutes. They took like a 5 minute break at the half and then the game finished about 10 minutes later. There was no running clock rule yet at this time however, coaches and refs could only agree to shorten the game.
I am pretty sure the game was against an out of state or Canadien team, probably from a state where mutually agreeing to shorten the quarters was more commonplace.
Old 08-06-18, 07:56 AM
All Ohio

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The clock does not put kids in the game. If a team is down 30 in the second half it is the coach who decides who goes on the field.
Old 08-11-18, 09:06 AM
All Ohio

smurfyeah19 is on a distinguished road
Running clock helps teams still get their JV game in. I remember quite a few instances where a game would end 55-0 on Friday night with a few injuries, and then then JV game the next morning would get cancelled. Thing is they still have to pay 4 refs $50-60 as thatís how contracts work
Old 08-11-18, 03:40 PM
All World

garydaddy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Food for thought. Having been on both ends of the stick I'll not say yea or nay.
Number of games that ended with a running clock 2017 playoffs
31 total games each division
1 6 games
2 10
3 7
4 9
5 7
6 11
7 10
217 total games 60 running clock
I love the playoff sytsem in Ohio.
It's obvious there are some mismatches.
I guess you'd have to ask the players, coaches and fans if it's worth it?
There seems to be a lot of community excitement even for the lower seeded teams.