Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-11-14, 09:31 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideline89 View Post
When living in Covedale I was surprised that there were not more Elder/ Seton Grads buying 1st time homes in that area.
Why?
Old 06-11-14, 09:45 AM
Cooling Off

Nelson Van Alden has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Although I am not an original West-side resident, I have lived here for 16 years and I find it amazing that the people that seem to complain the most about the downward spiral of the west-side communities are the same people who have moved away. When living in Covedale I was surprised that there were not more Elder/ Seton Grads buying 1st time homes in that area.
That's why they move, not a hard concept. Who would want to live in a place where the township leaders are excited about opening a 3rd Dollar store? Coverdale is not ideal bc it's Cincy Public. Tbh, I like Covedale/Green twsp better than Delhi at this point.

Does anyone on leadership have any good ideas? Look at Delhi: Dollar stores galore, cash checking places, massive vacant spaces and the Delfair shopping Center that looks like a building in Fallajuah that got hit by a mortar.
Old 06-11-14, 09:47 AM
All Region

sideline89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Why?
Because there is such a passion and loyalty to Elder/Seton and the West-side in general that I was surprised that there were not more young families moving in to that area. 16 years ago, there were still a lot of older couples in those neighborhoods and there were young Catholic families, but as the older couples downsized or died off there weren't many young Catholic couples buying homes there. So you see parishes like St Teresa, and St Dominic have big declines in enrollment, and it becomes a snowball effect on the neighborhoods. IMO
Old 06-11-14, 09:48 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Why?
It wouldn't be a bad idea for couples without kids. Smaller homes, fairly easy access to downtown.
Old 06-11-14, 09:52 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Van Alden View Post
That's why they move, not a hard concept. Who would want to live in a place where the township leaders are excited about opening a 3rd Dollar store? Coverdale is not ideal bc it's Cincy Public. Tbh, I like Covedale/Green twsp better than Delhi at this point.

Does anyone on leadership have any good ideas? Look at Delhi: Dollar stores galore, cash checking places, massive vacant spaces and the Delfair shopping Center that looks like a building in Fallajuah that got hit by a mortar.
It is Cincy Public, but for middle class Catholics, I think it is ideal, because the housing cost is relatively low, and if you are sending your kids to Catholic Schools anyway, it is easier to afford the tuition being in a 90,000 dollar home vs a 175,000 home in the townships.
Old 06-11-14, 09:53 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Because there is such a passion and loyalty to Elder/Seton and the West-side in general that I was surprised that there were not more young families moving in to that area. 16 years ago, there were still a lot of older couples in those neighborhoods and there were young Catholic families, but as the older couples downsized or died off there weren't many young Catholic couples buying homes there. So you see parishes like St Teresa, and St Dominic have big declines in enrollment, and it becomes a snowball effect on the neighborhoods. IMO
If not for Elder, the west side would be a ghost town. And I don't mean people would migrate to the east side, they'd probably avoid Cincinnati all together. Victory is a parish with a lot of older people. It's a very nice, clean neighborhood with newer homes spurting up around Rapid Run.
Old 06-11-14, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Very true.
Old 06-11-14, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
But it's a crappy area with terrible schools, a growing crime problem, and declining real estate values.
Old 06-11-14, 10:10 AM
All Region

Quote:
But it's a crappy area with terrible schools, a growing crime problem, and declining real estate values.
My point is that it wasn't that way when I moved there in the late 90's. Covedale isn't a crappy school. It is actually one of the best performing schools in CPS.
Old 06-11-14, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've looked at houses in Covedale and over by St Teresa. There are nice houses over that way, but with more crap moving up the hill and further west, it's a tough sell. The general consensus is to move further west and away from all that other stuff.

Then obviously the worry about property value plummeting over the next 5-10 years.
Old 06-11-14, 10:22 AM
All Region

I am simple explaining what I have perceived since living on the West-side. The same can be said for other suburbs also, College Hill, Finneytown, College Hill, Mt Healthy. etc. But there isn't that unifying force like Elder, in those areas. I am just saying that it has surprised me.
Old 06-11-14, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
I am simple explaining what I have perceived since living on the West-side. The same can be said for other suburbs also, College Hill, Finneytown, College Hill, Mt Healthy. etc. But there isn't that unifying force like Elder, in those areas. I am just saying that it has surprised me.
You're right although it hasn't surprised me at all. Government unfortunately is too powerful for every day people to fight. If they want to move in section 8 and public housing into an area and drive all the middle class people out they'll do it, and that is exactly what they've done to a lot of Price Hill and Westwood. And the negative effect of that (crime, declining real estate values) starts to spill over into other areas close by like Covedale and East Delhi. NVA is right East Delhi feels a lot like what PH was 15-20 years ago. It sucks but that is what has happened. And I agree the west side, particularly the areas mentioned would be a total ghost town if not for Elder still being where it is. If they ever relocated there'd be no reason for middle to upper income families to ever venture into those areas again.
Old 06-11-14, 10:44 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
You're right although it hasn't surprised me at all. Government unfortunately is too powerful for every day people to fight. If they want to move in section 8 and public housing into an area and drive all the middle class people out they'll do it, and that is exactly what they've done to a lot of Price Hill and Westwood. And the negative effect of that (crime, declining real estate values) starts to spill over into other areas close by like Covedale and East Delhi. NVA is right East Delhi feels a lot like what PH was 15-20 years ago. It sucks but that is what has happened. And I agree the west side, particularly the areas mentioned would be a total ghost town if not for Elder still being where it is. If they ever relocated there'd be no reason for middle to upper income families to ever venture into those areas again.
Elder is mostly upper-middle class now. "Middle Class" as Sideline thinks of it no longer exists. Manufacturing, middle office type of jobs that were middle class have been phased out. That's why areas like West Price Hill, Delhi have seen a decline. It's not exclusive to Cincinnati, that's just the way the world has evolved.
Old 06-11-14, 10:45 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
My point is that it wasn't that way when I moved there in the late 90's. Covedale isn't a crappy school. It is actually one of the best performing schools in CPS.
Yeah, EP is acting a little snobbish there. Covedale isn't bad at all. It's a very nice, small community, that's unfortunately surrounded by an area with much bigger problems.
Old 06-11-14, 11:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yes it was. Covedale has been in a nose dive since the early 90s.
Old 06-11-14, 07:07 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Yes it was. Covedale has been in a nose dive since the early 90s.
I think of Covedale as a set of side streets just off Sidney before you get to Covedale elementary. I know there was a big debate on whether it was technically "Covedale, Green Twsp, or Price Hill" but in my eyes, Covedale encompasses the back half of Relleum, Ralph, Sumter. Those streets are pretty well kept and have some cool older homes.

I would agree the area right around Covedale school is dumpy, but I always thought that was Price Hill.
Old 06-11-14, 07:18 PM
Cooling Off

Bottom line in all of this, only thing matters is Elder keeping enrollment up. That's why it's a great thing they've gotten more rooted in the St. Ignatius parish, have more Oak Hill middle school kids, and even kids from Harrison, Indiana, and the east side.

Elder is going to become more eclectic, but what makes the school so great is that won't effect the atmosphere.
Old 06-17-14, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Green Township trustees have voted to establish a Community Entertainment District along Harrison Avenue: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...rict/10363451/

Quote:
GREEN TWP. – Township officials have taken a step to attract more restaurants and businesses to Harrison Avenue.

The board of trustees voted June 9 to establish a Community Entertainment District along the commercial corridor. The roughly 140-acre district encompasses the stretch of Harrison Avenue from Lee Court and Westwood Northern Boulevard to the area around the Cinemark movie cinemas.
Quote:
Cincinnati leaders have established several entertainment districts in the past few years. The Banks riverfront development sits within such a district and neighborhoods like East Price Hill, Pleasant Ridge, Over-the-Rhine and Northside also have entertainment districts.

Goetzman said the township’s Community Entertainment District will facilitate the opening of the Harrison Greene development near the intersection of Harrison Avenue and Lee Court, which will contain a Dewey’s Pizza restaurant and Graeter’s ice cream shop, and serve as a catalyst for bringing other restaurants to Harrison Avenue.

Green Township Trustee Chairman Tony Rosiello said groundbreaking for the Harrison Greene development is scheduled to take place in July. He said in addition to Graeter’s and Dewey’s Pizza, a FirstWatch cafe and a Tom+Chee restaurant are also planned for the development.
Old 06-17-14, 11:47 AM
All World

Blue Rhino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Green Township trustees have voted to establish a Community Entertainment District along Harrison Avenue: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...rict/10363451/
I'm hearing that CMHA is quietly buying up properties in Green Twp on the down low...anybody else hearing that? or seeing that?
Old 06-17-14, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rhino View Post
I'm hearing that CMHA is quietly buying up properties in Green Twp on the down low...anybody else hearing that? or seeing that?
Those rumors have bee around for about 25 years...............

Based on those rumors the entire subdivision behind Western Bowl should be section 8 by now.
Old 06-17-14, 07:46 PM
All Region

ELDERfbfan is on a distinguished road
My Uncle has lived back there for about 20 years now ( On Eula Ave.) and he says it is getting a lot worst. He has noticed an increase in crime and the people who have moved in don't seem to even care about their property, its starting to look like trash. Which of course will kill any property value left in that neighborhood.
Old 06-17-14, 08:17 PM
All World

Blue Rhino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
Those rumors have bee around for about 25 years...............

Based on those rumors the entire subdivision behind Western Bowl should be section 8 by now.
Realtor told me that. Plus there wasn't a Federal lawsuit back then hanging out there.
Old 06-18-14, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rhino View Post
Realtor told me that. Plus there wasn't a Federal lawsuit back then hanging out there.
Realtor probably didn't have any listings in Green Township to sell you.
Old 06-18-14, 08:45 AM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
Realtor probably didn't have any listings in Green Township to sell you.
Old 06-18-14, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDERfbfan View Post
My Uncle has lived back there for about 20 years now ( On Eula Ave.) and he says it is getting a lot worst. He has noticed an increase in crime and the people who have moved in don't seem to even care about their property, its starting to look like trash. Which of course will kill any property value left in that neighborhood.
Talking to police officers I know the increase in crime is a county wide problem thanks in large part to the heroin epidemic we are currently experiencing.

If your uncle notices properties that are not being properly taken care of he should report them to the township. I know Delhi has something on their website that you can use to report unkempt properties (I've used it several times), I would assume Green has something similar.
Old 06-18-14, 08:50 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If your uncle notices properties that are not being properly taken care of he should report them to the township. I know Delhi has something on their website that you can use to report unkempt properties (I've used it several times), I would assume Green has something similar.
http://www.greentwp.org/propertymaintenancecode.cfm

Quote:
To place a nuisance or property maintenance complaint, please contact the Department of Public Services @ 574-8832.
Old 06-18-14, 01:38 PM
All Region

ELDERfbfan is on a distinguished road
Thanks I will let him know...
Old 06-20-14, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

Pboy will love this one............

at a stop light on Delhi Pike last night, it's raining, hillbilly next to me opens his sun roof and I'm thinking what the heck, next thing you know hillbilly girlfriend stands up on the seat through the sun roof and leans over and wipes the water off the windshield with her arms. Classic hillbilly winshield wipers! I've got to remember that my phone has a camera to capture these things in the future.
Old 06-20-14, 12:41 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Pboy will love this one............

at a stop light on Delhi Pike last night, it's raining, hillbilly next to me opens his sun roof and I'm thinking what the heck, next thing you know hillbilly girlfriend stands up on the seat through the sun roof and leans over and wipes the water off the windshield with her arms. Classic hillbilly winshield wipers! I've got to remember that my phone has a camera to capture these things in the future.
I don't find it funny, signals the decline of the area. Why would you want to live around people like that, especially if you don't have any sons to send to Elder?
Old 06-20-14, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

I thought it was funny pvor!