Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-01-18, 09:10 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
McDonalds might go away but the crime will not.
Correct. The apartments across street on Ross Ave?? need to go be torn down with McDonald’s. If that’s what is happening to McDs.
Old 11-01-18, 09:58 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
For good? Or are they doing a remodel?
The other day I passed by there and to me it looked like it was all prepped for a face lift.
Old 11-01-18, 11:23 AM
Freshman

BandMom is on a distinguished road
The McDonald's on Warsaw is still open, but just the drive thru. At least that's how it was a few days ago. New owners were just closing the dining room for the remodel.
Old 11-05-18, 10:26 AM
All District

Falcon11 is on a distinguished road
McDonalds is back open from the looks of things this morning. Just remodeled to look more contemporary.

I used to occasionally go through the drive through there, but the quality was consistently poor compared to even the one that was down on Harrison/Queen City. Maybe it will improve with new owners? Not holding my breath.

The Starbucks on Glenway looks to be close to opening. The Raising Canes on Race/Bridgetown is also coming along it looks like.
Old 11-05-18, 12:07 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
700 WLW just reported the Delhi Remke Store will close by the end of the month.
Old 11-05-18, 01:44 PM
All American

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
700 WLW just reported the Delhi Remke Store will close by the end of the month.
Surprised it took this long. When it was Bigg’s the prices were cheaper. I used to shop for my family and my parents. Shopped at Bigg’s and Kroger’s for about two years, because it was worth it. About the same time Remke took over, prices went up, and it wasn’t worth the time to go to two stores any longer, so I only went to Kroger’s.

Also ever since the Remke on Crookshank closed, the Delhi Kroger’s became more crowded, I believe the people that shopped the Crookshank Remke opted for the Delhi Kroger’s over the Delhi Remke, because it appeared the Delhi Remke parking lot never looked like it had more cars after the Crookshank Remke closed
Old 11-05-18, 03:33 PM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
Surprised it took this long. When it was Bigg’s the prices were cheaper. I used to shop for my family and my parents. Shopped at Bigg’s and Kroger’s for about two years, because it was worth it. About the same time Remke took over, prices went up, and it wasn’t worth the time to go to two stores any longer, so I only went to Kroger’s.
When bigg's lost access to the SuperValu supply chain (also read sold to Remke) it was only a matter of time that Kroger eliminated them from the Cincinnati market.

SuperValu was the reason bigg's could price their items competitively with Kroger.
Old 11-05-18, 04:04 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Too bad. Obviously, the lack of competition will result in higher prices.
Old 11-05-18, 10:52 PM
Freshman

Melody is on a distinguished road
I also am not shocked by this. I used to go all the time when it was Biggs. They were the only ones to still double coupons and still did triple coupon events and they had great sales. Once the crookshank one closed I went a handful of times to the Delhi Remke. There used to be a few things I could only find there. One by one they stopped carrying those too. The shelf tag prices were always outrageous but they did have some good sales every now and then but then they quietly stopped doubling coupons too. Everytime I went it was like only a few cars in the parking lot and hardly any shoppers. I heard rumors for years about a Meijer opening in Delhi in that old hardware store maybe now that could happen. I would love that!
Old 11-05-18, 11:36 PM
All Region

Fair&Balanced is on a distinguished road
What I heard from Kroger is they are purchasing the entire lot/building where Remeke,Aspire Fitness, and Aldi's and will build a superstore there. The parking situation at their current location is a mess with lots of complains. Not sure when will this will start.
Old 11-06-18, 06:47 AM
All District

foreword is on a distinguished road
So Kroger is moving back to their old location?
Old 11-06-18, 07:17 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
So Kroger is moving back to their old location?
Kroger's original location was next to PNC, then Provident Bank, in Del-Fair Plaza, with Alber's grocery store on the western end of the plaza next to Hader's Hardware. That is where IGA and Meyers were also located at one time, in expanded space. But, I guess all of that was before your time.

People forget about Albers another local chain to compete against Krogers. Here is an interesting article:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elycefeliz/6909392823
Old 11-06-18, 07:41 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
What I heard from Kroger is they are purchasing the entire lot/building where Remeke,Aspire Fitness, and Aldi's and will build a superstore there. The parking situation at their current location is a mess with lots of complains. Not sure when will this will start.
Awesome. The new Kroger stores are nice, clean, and offer a lot more than just your typical grocery store. Delhi needs it.
Old 11-06-18, 09:25 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Kroger's original location was next to PNC, then Provident Bank, in Del-Fair Plaza, with Alber's grocery store on the western end of the plaza next to Hader's Hardware. That is where IGA and Meyers were also located at one time, in expanded space. But, I guess all of that was before your time.

People forget about Albers another local chain to compete against Krogers. Here is an interesting article:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elycefeliz/6909392823
OK....that was original location, but I'm pretty sure it was in the area where Remke is too at one point, along with Kmart (can't rememeber which one was where though). There was also an A&P grocery store around where Waffle House/old Central Hardware building is now at one point, if I remember correctly.......and also there was a Famous Foods adjoining Van Luenens, where the current Kroger is......
Old 11-06-18, 09:27 AM
All District

....and of course, who can forget Thriftway.....started where the strip mall is that had that Party Hoppers place in it, then moved to the old Meijer Square location in the mid 80's....currently a storage place now.....
Old 11-06-18, 10:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
OK....that was original location, but I'm pretty sure it was in the area where Remke is too at one point, along with Kmart (can't rememeber which one was where though). There was also an A&P grocery store around where Waffle House/old Central Hardware building is now at one point, if I remember correctly.......and also there was a Famous Foods adjoining Van Luenens, where the current Kroger is......
You are right, Krogers was where Remke's is now back when Van Leunens was across the street. I do not believe that there was ever an A&P in Delhi though. The grocery that was near KFC before Central Hardware was a Stumps.
Old 11-06-18, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

It would be great for Delhi, but Meijer isn't going to build a store there.

Think about where Meijer stores in the Cincinnati area are located:
  • Dent - Right off I-74
  • Colerain - Right off I-275
  • Forest Park - Right off I-275
  • Florence - Right off I-71/75
  • Oakley/Norwood - Right off I-71
  • West Chester - Right off I-75
  • Eastgate - Right off I-275 and OH-32

There are stores in Loveland/Deerfield/Sycamore Township and Milford that aren't as close to the highway, but they're still closer than a store in downtown Delhi would be.
Old 11-06-18, 03:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
It would be great for Delhi, but Meijer isn't going to build a store there.

Think about where Meijer stores in the Cincinnati area are located:
  • Dent - Right off I-74
  • Colerain - Right off I-275
  • Forest Park - Right off I-275
  • Florence - Right off I-71/75
  • Oakley/Norwood - Right off I-71
  • West Chester - Right off I-75
  • Eastgate - Right off I-275 and OH-32

There are stores in Loveland/Deerfield/Sycamore Township and Milford that aren't as close to the highway, but they're still closer than a store in downtown Delhi would be.
A lot of chain restaurants also avoid Delhi for the same reason, no highway nearby.
Old 11-11-18, 02:06 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Big luxury housing development is in the works off of Wexford Ln, north of Upper Road and Cleves Warsaw:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...xury-west.html

After looking at google maps, I had no idea there were so many houses off of Upper Rd. I always thought there were only a few houses up there but there are actually like fifteen of them. And also the size of the junkyard/storage facility just east of Wexford Ln

Last edited by Sig Hansen; 11-11-18 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

Price Hill Will posted this to Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PriceHillWi...56798689562179

Quote:
McDonald's on Warsaw Avenue is under new ownership, and you may have noticed that they have undergone a complete remodel. With this remodel, we have noticed a tremendous impact in problem behavior happening around the store. This Thursday, November 15th at 5:00pm join the community in their GRAND REOPENING! Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman will be joining the celebration.
Old 11-13-18, 03:42 PM
All District

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
Is this saying the re-model has caused more problems are less? Hard to tell by how it's written.
Old 11-13-18, 04:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPanther View Post
Is this saying the re-model has caused more problems are less? Hard to tell by how it's written.
Poorly worded. When the new owners took over they hired security and replaced the old managers. The new managers stopped allowing people to "hang out" in the dining room and solicit or loiter at the entrances and in the parking lot. These new policies made a huge difference. The could have and may have taken Skyline as an example as they are right next to each other but were operated in a completely different manner.

The new owners deserve the neighborhood's support when they re-open as they have done a great job so far.
Old 11-13-18, 04:37 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Correct. The apartments across street on Ross Ave?? need to go be torn down with McDonald’s. If that’s what is happening to McDs.
I have been in those apartments recently and they are beautiful, albeit run down. They must have been luxury apartments when they were built. They need to be restored not torn down. I hope someone does that and restores the old Victorians across the street before they fall down.
Old 11-13-18, 07:48 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The new managers stopped allowing people to "hang out" in the dining room and solicit or loiter at the entrances and in the parking lot. These new policies made a huge difference.
Until someone plays the race card and turns it into a national news story...
Old 11-15-18, 02:52 PM
All World

I got some shocking news recently by way of a flyer I received and a follow-up call to the Hamilton County Public Library. The Library is actually considering tearing down the Carnegie Library located in East Price Hill. That is a Carnegie Library. Each one of those, including the one in East Price Hill, is an architectural gem and cherished in any community that is lucky enough to have one. Granted a section of the ceiling fell in recently and the fact that it would need to be upgraded in order to meet the current needs of the Library but the possibility that they might tear it down is alarming and insulting to the community.

Price Hill has already lost too much of its architectural heritage. CPS slapped Price Hill in the face with the monstrosity they built at Carson School, all the while restoring schools like Cheviot, Hughes and Hartwell. Now the Public Library wants to do the same thing with our Carnegie. There is no reason in the world they cannot preserve and restore the old building while making a modern addition on the back with the elevator and electrical amenities a modern library requires.

For anyone interested, the Library is holding public meeting on November 28 from 5:30-8:00 at the Price Hill Recreation Center located at 95 Hawthorne Avenue.
Old 11-15-18, 05:24 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I got some shocking news recently by way of a flyer I received and a follow-up call to the Hamilton County Public Library. The Library is actually considering tearing down the Carnegie Library located in East Price Hill. That is a Carnegie Library. Each one of those, including the one in East Price Hill, is an architectural gem and cherished in any community that is lucky enough to have one. Granted a section of the ceiling fell in recently and the fact that it would need to be upgraded in order to meet the current needs of the Library but the possibility that they might tear it down is alarming and insulting to the community.

Price Hill has already lost too much of its architectural heritage. CPS slapped Price Hill in the face with the monstrosity they built at Carson School, all the while restoring schools like Cheviot, Hughes and Hartwell. Now the Public Library wants to do the same thing with our Carnegie. There is no reason in the world they cannot preserve and restore the old building while making a modern addition on the back with the elevator and electrical amenities a modern library requires.

For anyone interested, the Library is holding public meeting on November 28 from 5:30-8:00 at the Price Hill Recreation Center located at 95 Hawthorne Avenue.
Money talks. To restore the Library and some other old but beautiful Price Hill buildings will require a very large amount of money.
Old 11-15-18, 05:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Money talks. To restore the Library and some other old but beautiful Price Hill buildings will require a very large amount of money.
Agreed, however, the neighborhood will have a library and a large sum will be paid regardless. It should be spent to preserve this building as it is enlarged and improved to provide modern library services. Other Carnegies have been converted to other uses (a theater in Northern Kentucky and an event center in Columbia-Tusculum) but the Price Hill library is not as big as those other buildings, nor do we need another performing arts center or rental hall in Price Hill as we have plenty now or in the works.

If the Library claims it will be too expensive to keep and upgrade the building, I'll call BS, as they built that Taj Mahal Downtown only to try to sell a third of it as they do not need as much room as they thought, most of which with public money.
Old 11-15-18, 06:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Agreed, however, the neighborhood will have a library and a large sum will be paid regardless. It should be spent to preserve this building as it is enlarged and improved to provide modern library services. Other Carnegies have been converted to other uses (a theater in Northern Kentucky and an event center in Columbia-Tusculum) but the Price Hill library is not as big as those other buildings, nor do we need another performing arts center or rental hall in Price Hill as we have plenty now or in the works.

If the Library claims it will be too expensive to keep and upgrade the building, I'll call BS, as they built that Taj Mahal Downtown only to try to sell a third of it as they do not need as much room as they thought, most of which with public money.
This situation reminds me of the Gamble house that used to be in Westwood. Before the house was finally torn down, there were many people upset about it, and wanted it saved, but didn’t have a plan or the funds to keep it. They wanted it restored with someone else ‘s money. Sometimes it just cost too much to keep a building. I don’t know the facts about the library, i’m just thinking of the Gamble house, because the library could be the same. Hopefully there’s a way to keep it, which would be great.
Old 11-15-18, 07:48 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
This situation reminds me of the Gamble house that used to be in Westwood. Before the house was finally torn down, there were many people upset about it, and wanted it saved, but didn’t have a plan or the funds to keep it. They wanted it restored with someone else ‘s money. Sometimes it just cost too much to keep a building. I don’t know the facts about the library, i’m just thinking of the Gamble house, because the library could be the same. Hopefully there’s a way to keep it, which would be great.
Not quite true. I believe that they did have the funds pledged and plans in place, however, the old women who was the heir demanded that the house be taken down (she obviously had ill feelings toward her late Uncle, Westwood, the City or the whole westside). Her estate's Attorney promised that the property, once the house was taken down, would be used for the benefit of the neighborhood. That was an absolute lie.

Last edited by Purplemojo; 11-15-18 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-15-18, 08:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Not quite true. I believe that they did have the funds pledged and plans in place, however, the old women you was the heir demanded that the house be taken down (she obviously had ill feelings toward her late Uncle, Westwood, the City or the whole westside). Her estate's Attorney promised that the property, once the house was taken down, would be used for the benefit of the neighborhood. That was an absolute lie.
You’re probably right about all that, but I do remember seeing citizens on the news and in the paper that wanted it saved and wanted someone else to come up with the funds.