Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-26-19, 08:54 PM
All District

cincyelder is on a distinguished road
2019 - 2020 Basketball

2019 - 2020 Varsity Basketball Schedule

1 Tuesday, December 3rd Badin H.S Home
2 Friday, December 6th Cooper H.S. Away
3 Saturday, December 7th TBA (BBT Arena) Away
4 Friday, December 13th Winton Woods Home
5 Tuesday, December 17th Fairfield Home
6 Friday, December 27th Toledo Central Catholic Home
7 Saturday, December 28th Walsh Jesuit Home
8 Thursday, January 2nd Turpin Away
9 Saturday, January 4th Northwest Home
10 Friday, January 10th St. Xavier Away
11 Friday, January 17th Moeller Away

12 Saturday, January 18th MLK (Middletown) Away
13 Tuesday, January 21st Oak Hills Away
14 Friday, January 24th LaSalle Home
15 Tuesday, January 28th Beavercreek Away
16 Friday, January 31st St. Xavier Home
17 Saturday, February 1st Mariemont Home
18 Tuesday, February 4th Purcell Home
19 Friday, February 7th Moeller Home
20 Friday, February 14th LaSalle Away

Haven't heard if they will add 2 more or not.
Old 03-27-19, 08:46 AM
All American

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for 15 regular season wins and a slightly deeper Tournament run. Theyíre still 1 yr away from really contending at the highest level. They need Larkins and Nieman to develop more as post players than Stretch Forwards, Merz to become a better outside shooter, and Walker/Keller to handle Point. Cluxton is a natural scorer, and while he can do crazy things with the ball, he takes too many risks, and his height causes a lot of issues with Traps.

Of course, if they couldíve gotten Griffith, theyíd be State Champs.
Old 03-27-19, 09:30 AM
Junior Varsity

SC10EHS15 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Looking for 15 regular season wins and a slightly deeper Tournament run. Theyíre still 1 yr away from really contending at the highest level. They need Larkins and Nieman to develop more as post players than Stretch Forwards, Merz to become a better outside shooter, and Walker/Keller to handle Point. Cluxton is a natural scorer, and while he can do crazy things with the ball, he takes too many risks, and his height causes a lot of issues with Traps.

Of course, if they couldíve gotten Griffith, theyíd be State Champs.
Just give it a rest already
Old 03-27-19, 09:31 AM
All Ohio

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
Honestly, an upgraded roster will probably make Cluxton's turnovers go down. Better players will be able to anticipate his passes and help him handle pressure.

Agree on 15 wins and a deeper run. They should be fun to watch. I hope they play more open and free.

Also like the schedule as well. Turpin, Badin, Winton Woods, Fairfield, Purcell, and Cooper all have good programs at all levels. The two out of town teams should be decent competition as well. No Schroder, West Hi, or NCH. Seems to be a good upgrade to the schedule. Do they usually have the schedule done this quickly? Nice job by the admins.

Last edited by OldSchoolPanther; 03-27-19 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-27-19, 09:49 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC10EHS15 View Post
Just give it a rest already
I Can’t. The best 8th grader in the country lives right by the school. He’s better than LeBron’s son. They needed him. He’d have easily been their best player as an 8th grader. There will never, ever, be a talent like that at Victory, Visi, etc. All of you acting like he’s not a big deal, need a reality check. Too many of our fans diminish or even vilify individual talent, just so it fits their own underdog narrative. I don’t want to hear this crap about him not fitting into the system, you make the system fit him. There’s never going to be another talent like this right in Elder’s backyard.

Last edited by Omar; 03-27-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-27-19, 09:51 AM
All District

Quote:
Canít. The best 8th grader in the country lives right by the school. Heís better than LeBronís son. They needed him.
Where is he going? Is that official?
Old 03-27-19, 09:58 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I Canít. The best 8th grader in the country lives right by the school. Heís better than LeBronís son. They needed him. Heíd have easily been their best player as an 8th grader. There will never, ever, be a talent like that at Victory, Visi, etc. All of you acting like heís not a big deal, need a reality check.
Not saying he's not a big deal, he is. But he's not coming here so bitching and whining about it isn't going to change that.
Old 03-27-19, 10:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Not saying he's not a big deal, he is. But he's not coming here so bitching and whining about it isn't going to change that.
I just canít, I actually want Elder to win a state title. They would win at least 2, maybe 3 with him. If he goes to Moeller, thatís going to leave Elder playing for runner up.
Old 03-27-19, 10:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyelder View Post
Where is he going? Is that official?
Nobody knows for sure.
Old 03-27-19, 11:14 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
I keep hearing it's either Oyler, Taft, or Hughes. He of course would put Oyler on the map, but I can't see him staying considering they are D4. Unless he doesn't want competition because he will abuse everyone at that level.

It seems Elder isn't in the mix at all (no clue if that's accurate, just how I'm seeing it play out), and that's a shame.
Old 03-27-19, 11:17 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
I keep hearing it's either Oyler, Taft, or Hughes. He of course would put Oyler on the map, but I can't see him staying considering they are D4. Unless he doesn't want competition because he will abuse everyone at that level.

It seems Elder isn't in the mix at all (no clue if that's accurate, just how I'm seeing it play out), and that's a shame.
He shadowed at Elder, but it was probably never realistic for him to end up there. It just makes me a little sick having such an unbelievable talent right there and coming up short. I’m not joking when I say, I firmly believe with him added to the rising Sophs and Jrs, Elder wins multiple state titles.

Last edited by Omar; 03-27-19 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-27-19, 11:47 AM
All Ohio

Most high caliber basketball studs end up at Moeller at some point. I have no info, but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there over the next 4 years.

For a high profile basketball player, why would they consider Elder? Not saying that to start crap, just a serious question?
Old 03-27-19, 12:08 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I Canít. The best 8th grader in the country lives right by the school. Heís better than LeBronís son. They needed him. Heíd have easily been their best player as an 8th grader. There will never, ever, be a talent like that at Victory, Visi, etc. All of you acting like heís not a big deal, need a reality check. Too many of our fans diminish or even vilify individual talent, just so it fits their own underdog narrative. I donít want to hear this crap about him not fitting into the system, you make the system fit him. Thereís never going to be another talent like this right in Elderís backyard.
Never seen the kid play, but all of these rankings of kids in junior high are just silly. How many of kids on the ESPN 100 or Rivals 100 actually pan out to their ranking? This kid hasn't even been put in HS yet he has a crazed fan saying things like "he's better than LeBron's son." I hope he's as good as advertised and he fulfills all the crazy expectations that seem to be coming his way (if not already there). As for the multiple state title aspirations with this kid, I would say not so fast. Didn't LeBron's stacked SVSM teams lose to little 'ol Roger Bacon once? How many titles did OJ Mayo and Bill Walker win at NCH? High-profile recruits are great and if they pan out and actually make an NBA roster down the line, that would be awesome - but let's let this kid graduate grade/elementary school for God's sake.
Old 03-27-19, 12:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Never seen the kid play, but all of these rankings of kids in junior high are just silly. How many of kids on the ESPN 100 or Rivals 100 actually pan out to their ranking? This kid hasn't even been put in HS yet he has a crazed fan saying things like "he's better than LeBron's son." I hope he's as good as advertised and he fulfills all the crazy expectations that seem to be coming his way (if not already there). As for the multiple state title aspirations with this kid, I would say not so fast. Didn't LeBron's stacked SVSM teams lose to little 'ol Roger Bacon once? How many titles did OJ Mayo and Bill Walker win at NCH? High-profile recruits are great and if they pan out and actually make an NBA roster down the line, that would be awesome - but let's let this kid graduate grade/elementary school for God's sake.
Those LeBron teams still won 2-3 titles. And it’s not too silly to rank them, some already have offers, and some will play in the NBA at 19/20 yrs old. That’s only about 5 yrs out. It’s not like the NFL where it’s imperative for kids to drastically alter their body to even step foot on the field. Kevin Durant couldn’t even Bench 225 lbs at his combine, and was ROY.

Last edited by Omar; 03-27-19 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 12:26 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Those LeBron teams still won 2-3 titles. And itís not too silly to rank them, some already have offers, and some will play in the NBA at 19/20 yrs old. Thatís only about 5 yrs out. Itís not like the NFL where itís imperative for kids to drastically alter their body to even step foot on the field. Kevin Durant couldnít even Bench 225 lbs at his combine, and was ROY.
It may only be 5 years out, but let this kid be a kid for as long as possible. If his hype keeps growing and he keeps improving, he won't have a typical high school career and will essentially be a celebrity. On the flip side, he might not grow another inch and plateau sooner rather than later.
Old 03-27-19, 01:15 PM
All American

Quote:
It may only be 5 years out, but let this kid be a kid for as long as possible. If his hype keeps growing and he keeps improving, he won't have a typical high school career and will essentially be a celebrity. On the flip side, he might not grow another inch and plateau sooner rather than later.
He can handle the attention, doesn’t have an ego. You’re correct, he might not grow anymore, but he could still transition his game into being being a 2 Guard.

And even if he is still a high profile recruit, Cincinnati is a football town through and through. Darius Bazely at Princeton was a McD AA, and he barely got any media cvg. He made more news about skipping college than he did for his actual play.
Old 03-27-19, 02:00 PM
All Ohio

The school is more than capable of producing periodic state level basketball teams. Couple tweaks here and there. It's not going to be consistent, but it's possible.

It's annoying that people think this program has no shot whatsoever. There's no reason they can't get back to where they were on a consistent basis. It's all within their reach if they're willing to invest in it.
Old 03-27-19, 02:24 PM
All American

IDK about that. I guess it depends on how you define periodically. Numbers aren’t as important in Basketball as Football and smaller schools are able to be much more competitive with Larger schools. There’s no way in hell the GCL N could compete with the GCL S in Football, but they frequently win in Basketball.
Old 03-27-19, 02:27 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post

I've been hearing Hughes lately. Taft previously but I think they've had some changes. He does have some roundabout ties with Elder, but I think we all know it's not going to happen.
Old 03-27-19, 02:38 PM
All District

Hughes has McCmillan who as a freshman was named 2019 All Ohio D2 2nd Team by the sports writers. I would think there is pressure to team those two up.
Old 03-27-19, 02:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Hughes has McCmillan who as a freshman was named 2019 All Ohio D2 2nd Team by the sports writers. I would think there is pressure to team those two up.
To Treyís point, if Elder could ever attract the best players from Taft, Hughes, Woodward, West Hi, then they could compete periodically for state titles. However, until they actually make a concerted effort towards those kids, theyíre not winning a state title in football or basketball. They may have good teams, presumably the Frosh will be good as Srs, but theyíre never going to win the whole thing w/o real athletes. And Iím not saying this to be a jerk, thatís my honest opinion. No private school can win D1 titles with just their Feeder kids.
Old 03-27-19, 02:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Iíll still be upset if he doesnít end up at Elder. However, I could eventually live with it if he goes to Hughes or Taft.
Old 03-27-19, 04:31 PM
All District

scotty99 is on a distinguished road
He'll be at Taft or Hughes for 2 years before heading to Oak Hill or IMG.
Old 03-27-19, 05:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
He'll be at Taft or Hughes for 2 years before heading to Oak Hill or IMG.
That’s probably what’s best for him. I know people don’t like the Oak Hill and IMGs of the world, but they’re basically the same as a Vocational or Performing Arts school.
Old 03-29-19, 02:54 PM
All American

Also, donít take this as fact, but Iíve heard Austing wonít be returning. Heís still on good terms with everyone, but his teaching obligations at FF make it incredibly difficult to meet practice requirements.

I suppose itís entirely possible he will return when JS does retire, but if he doesnít, Elder will have no choice but to hire externally.
Old 03-29-19, 03:56 PM
All Ohio

IF true, it's a big loss. He could take the program to the next level. I think he would have a completely different style than Schoenfeld. And why wouldn't some of the other assistants get consideration?

I just don't see them hiring someone without connections to Elder.

Last edited by OldSchoolPanther; 03-29-19 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 06:08 PM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
It is my understanding that he is leaning towards leaving but still hasnít made a final decision. It would be a huge loss
Old 03-29-19, 07:09 PM
All Ohio

Can the AD really let that happen? I mean, I'm sure there are multiple factors at play here, and I know some things are out of his control (if Austing even wants the head job), but you have a top coach in the state sitting in the second chair with a head coach nearing the end of his career.

Even if Schoenfeld wants to still be involved, can't you find a way to hand the reigns over while still having him involved in some capacity? Seems crazy to just let him slip away knowing the situation.

Does anyone know if he wants the job at some point?
Old 03-29-19, 07:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
It is my understanding that he is leaning towards leaving but still hasnít made a final decision. It would be a huge loss
I hope he can comeback when JS does retire. However, can Elder get reasonably close to what he makes being a tenured teacher at Fairfield? If not, they have to look externally for JSís replacement. Kerr at PM and Neal at Bacon are in every discussion, but their personalities might be too much of a change from JS. I really like the guy at Lakota East, but again, not sure if Elder can match the $. I believe their Football coach already makes over 100 K, and heís only been there a few yrs. A real wildcard could be Tony Rack. Heís an Asst at Western Carolina, but also coached under Pat Kelsey at Winthrop. Iím sure Kelsey giving him the stamp of approval would assauge any concerns over hiring a Moeller grad.
Old 03-29-19, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
IMO Austing is going to take a year off or go to a public school. He will be a head coach again eventually. He'd take an upper level GMC job (Lakota, Mason, etc.). For those who think Elder is just going to bring him back when JS is done, it wont be that easy.

Austing, as varsity head coach of the current 9th/10th graders, is a 10 point per game difference (average 60+ points per game instead of 50+) b/c of the number of additional possessions/attempts Elder would have each game playing at a faster tempo.

Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 03-29-19 at 10:22 PM.