Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-08-17, 04:12 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Central Catholic League history question(s)

Any CCL historians, alumni etc I have a few questions for you. I am trying to piece together as much of a “history” behind the Central Catholic League as possible. Be advised that I am particularly interested in the “prior” CCL, c. 1950’s and 1960’s.

1) The CCL’s handbook notes that the Central Catholic League was created by the Diocese of Columbus. However, schools such as Springfield Catholic Central and Delphos St John’s (neither of whom are located in the Diocese of Columbus) participated in the league post-WW2. So, are the CCL’s roots actually an “inter-Diocesan conference” and not a “Diocese of Columbus only” league?

1a) What led to Springfield Catholic Central and the CCL parting ways? (The schools that would become) Bishop Rosecrans stayed in the CCL until at least sometime in the late 1970’s, so I wonder want caused the similarly sized school equally far away from Columbus to not be in the league.

2) Wikipedia notes that Lancaster St. Mary, Marion St. Mary, and Mt Vernon SVdP all left in 1953. However, my understanding is this may not be correct(?) The 1960 Lancaster St Mary team, which claims a state title, played Holy Family, Columbus St Mary and a few others. Can someone clarify if 1953 is indeed when those three left, and what conferences they went to? Bear in mind that Marion St. Mary becomes Marion Catholic in 1957, and Lancaster St Mary becomes Bishop Fenwick in 1961. I already know that Fenwick joins the Mid State League in 1964 and becomes Fisher in 1971, but was wondering what those three schools did for the balance of the 1950’s.

3) I have to imagine that Portsmouth Central Catholic / Portsmouth Notre Dame participated in some semblance or version of the Central Catholic League way back when (especially when they had Chuck Ealy.) Anything to indicate as such? How about for Tuscarawas Central Catholic, or the schools that became it?

4) Central Catholic League “splits” in... 1985?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-17, 05:14 PM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Tuscarawas Central Catholic opened its doors in 1970 and started in the IVC, where it has remained a member. The high schools that consolidated into Tusc. CC are shown as IVC members, for 1968 and 1969, at the following website (search through some of the links under the "More" tab):

http://intervalley.wixsite.com/ivchome

Before 1968, I know that Dover St. Joseph High School (one of the high schools that consolidated into TCC) won a Class A State Championship, in 1965, but I'm not sure which league St. Joe's was in at the time.
Old 11-08-17, 05:17 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
i don't back quite that far . And unfortunately Treeze Sharrock St. Francis DeSales 1st head Football is no longer with us. As would have been a great resources for many of your early CCL days questions.
Maybe some older St. Charles alum may have some of the answers for you as I believe they are now at least in the Cols. Metro area the oldest Catholic HS.
There big rival was Aquanis back in the day. Not sure who all they played.
I have a friend whose brother actually played for the Marion Catholic Team who won a State title via the polls back then.
Within the last year they had a reunion of that team and i was told the Head Coach of Marion Catholic team was still alive and in attendance.
He would probably be someone to try and contact.
The CCL in the early to mid 60's was Watterson, DeSales , Ready and Wherle , For awhile St. Charles did not field a Football Team and their first team back was either 74 or 75 . I can check that for you.
The split in 1985 was an agreement to try and place bigger schools and smaller schools in the their own divisions.
Hartley and Ready both wanted the split and both Watterson and DeSales agreed. Part of the reason was Computer points and amount of teams qualifying to the playoffs.
DeSales was upset they couldn't defend their State Title in 86 after a 2nd consecutive undefeated season because they didn't get enough Computer points for beating some of the smaller League schools.
So Teams were brought into the League to form 2 Division from the Dayton and Cincinnati area.
I don't have break down on both Divisions but these Schools were added to one or the other. Newark Catholic, Hamilton Badin, Kettering Alter , I think Dayton CJ, and a few others. Need help here as i moved out of State from 85-89 .
Old 11-08-17, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Any CCL historians, alumni etc I have a few questions for you. I am trying to piece together as much of a “history” behind the Central Catholic League as possible. Be advised that I am particularly interested in the “prior” CCL, c. 1950’s and 1960’s.

1) The CCL’s handbook notes that the Central Catholic League was created by the Diocese of Columbus. However, schools such as Springfield Catholic Central and Delphos St John’s (neither of whom are located in the Diocese of Columbus) participated in the league post-WW2. So, are the CCL’s roots actually an “inter-Diocesan conference” and not a “Diocese of Columbus only” league?

1a) What led to Springfield Catholic Central and the CCL parting ways? (The schools that would become) Bishop Rosecrans stayed in the CCL until at least sometime in the late 1970’s, so I wonder want caused the similarly sized school equally far away from Columbus to not be in the league.

2) Wikipedia notes that Lancaster St. Mary, Marion St. Mary, and Mt Vernon SVdP all left in 1953. However, my understanding is this may not be correct(?) The 1960 Lancaster St Mary team, which claims a state title, played Holy Family, Columbus St Mary and a few others. Can someone clarify if 1953 is indeed when those three left, and what conferences they went to? Bear in mind that Marion St. Mary becomes Marion Catholic in 1957, and Lancaster St Mary becomes Bishop Fenwick in 1961. I already know that Fenwick joins the Mid State League in 1964 and becomes Fisher in 1971, but was wondering what those three schools did for the balance of the 1950’s.

3) I have to imagine that Portsmouth Central Catholic / Portsmouth Notre Dame participated in some semblance or version of the Central Catholic League way back when (especially when they had Chuck Ealy.) Anything to indicate as such? How about for Tuscarawas Central Catholic, or the schools that became it?

4) Central Catholic League “splits” in... 1985?
Over the summer, I had a 7-day free trial membership to newspapers.com while I was digging around for some old stuff. There were quite a few newspapers from Ohio that had extensive material archived on that site (granted, I wasn't looking for anything as far as back as what you're looking for): Lancaster Eagle Gazette, Newark Advocate, Zanesville Times Recorder, Marion Star, and Chillicothe Gazette were 5 of those papers. A trial membership might be worth a shot and save you a trip to the library to sift through microfilms.

For my research purposes, there were 9 or 10 Ohio papers whose online archives came up to at least 2000. The 5 aforementioned papers were among them. Many papers' online archives end around 1977 but go back many years.
Old 11-09-17, 02:16 PM
All American

Thanks, guys. Will come back to this post later tonight.
Old 11-09-17, 04:47 PM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
For confirmation that Lancaster St. Mary, Marion St. Mary, and Mt. Vernon SVdP left the CCL in 1953:

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/OHSAA_Cen...ic_conferences

To find out what happened to Marion St. Mary (later, Marion Catholic), after 1953, go to the following website and read both the introduction and the listing, under "Mid-Ohio Conference":

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ohio_Cent...hio_Conference

Actually, you might find some of the information you are looking for, by using the 'Search' function, at any of the following websites:

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ohio_high...nces#/overview

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Defunct_O...ic_conferences

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/OHSAA_Eas...nces#/overview

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ohio_East...c_conferences#

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ohio_Nort...ic_conferences
Old 11-10-17, 12:05 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSoup View Post
Maybe some older St. Charles alum may have some of the answers for you as I believe they are now at least in the Cols. Metro area the oldest Catholic HS.
There big rival was Aquanis back in the day.
Had a discussion with an Aquinas guy at a funeral a month or two ago for a St Chuck's family member. The family member played in the only football game that ever took place between the schools. It was in 1962. Aquinas won 20-0 and then later forfeited the game after confessing that one of the star players had previously been enrolled at the Josephinum. They'd gotten approval from the OAA earlier in the season to play the guy, but the OAA reversed itself after a complaint from a priest at St Charles, ha ha. The two schools were never football rivals, not sure about other sports. Aquinas always played in the rough and tumble City League (because they were tough, of course) and traveled across the state for big games against St Eds, St Ignatius, etc. Chucks' were sissies back then too, apparently - or so the Aquinas guy says. There was much dislike between the schools over girls. Aquinas got all the girls from St Joes and Chucks got all the girls from St Mary of the Springs. When two fellas were contending for the same girl and one of the guys was from the wrong school, the matter was settled in the boxing ring located in the Aquinas basement, and my Aquinas buddy said that he never saw an Aquinas man lose any of those fights. The Di Sabatos were all Aquinas men back then - they might have some stories. I know some Hartley folks have some Aquinas history.
Old 11-10-17, 02:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Had a discussion with an Aquinas guy at a funeral a month or two ago for a St Chuck's family member. The family member played in the only football game that ever took place between the schools. It was in 1962. Aquinas won 20-0 and then later forfeited the game after confessing that one of the star players had previously been enrolled at the Josephinum. They'd gotten approval from the OAA earlier in the season to play the guy, but the OAA reversed itself after a complaint from a priest at St Charles, ha ha. The two schools were never football rivals, not sure about other sports. Aquinas always played in the rough and tumble City League (because they were tough, of course) and traveled across the state for big games against St Eds, St Ignatius, etc. Chucks' were sissies back then too, apparently - or so the Aquinas guy says. There was much dislike between the schools over girls. Aquinas got all the girls from St Joes and Chucks got all the girls from St Mary of the Springs. When two fellas were contending for the same girl and one of the guys was from the wrong school, the matter was settled in the boxing ring located in the Aquinas basement, and my Aquinas buddy said that he never saw an Aquinas man lose any of those fights. The Di Sabatos were all Aquinas men back then - they might have some stories. I know some Hartley folks have some Aquinas history.
Well thats the biggest rivalry of all right there.
Women trump just about anything.
Old 11-10-17, 03:12 PM
All Ohio

Dock here is what i can figure out for the modern era. 1962 -

DeSales 1st season was 62 not in CCL
63 Season looks like a 5 Team League ( Ready, Hartley, St. Charles , Watterson , DeSales
64 Season this is odd DeSales CCL record shows 2-0-1 in CCL play they played 5 Catholic Schools ( Newark Catholic who was in another League back then, Watterson, Ready, Hartley who were in CCL for sure that year and St. Charles. If memory serves me I believe St. Charles had made Public after 63 season that the 64 season would be their last playing Football and they played that last season as a Independent not as a member of the CCL. ( If wrong someone correct me )
CCL stayed 4 Team League until 68 when Wherle joined the for the 1st time as a Football playing member
* St Charles resumed play in 74 season
The OCL was formed for League play in 1987 and lasted for 88,89,90 seasons
One Division had DeSales, Dayton CJ, St. Charles, Watterson
I believe other side had Hartley, Ready , Newark Catholic, Hamilton Badin and Kettering Alter.
This i'm not sure of. I know DeSales played Badin, NC, and Alter during that time frame
but those may have just been League crossover games.
Need help with that .
Old 11-13-17, 08:29 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Really interesting stuff that I never knew. When did Rosecrans leave the league?
Old 11-13-17, 03:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Really interesting stuff that I never knew. When did Rosecrans leave the league?
2006/2007.

I hope one day we see NC, Ready, Rosecrans and FC in a small school component of the CCL, or some general association. Maybe / maybe not for football, but all the other sports certainly.
Old 11-16-17, 09:58 AM
Junior Varsity

BuckeyeR/T is on a distinguished road
interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing that. Very disheartening watching the CCL shrink. I sure would be nice to get a fire lit under someone to work towards growing the CCL (I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it)
Just for scheduling alone it would be nice to have more than just 3 games show automatically every year.