Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-27-18, 07:13 AM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Lets say they get a strong willed coach with a plan - do you think they have enough sputza to run another?
Old 03-27-18, 01:42 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
Lets say they get a strong willed coach with a plan - do you think they have enough sputza to run another?
They won't get a good coach at all. Nobody worth anything is going to apply for a job where the last guy just had the best record in over a quarter of a century and got let go.
Old 03-27-18, 02:37 PM
All Ohio

pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
They won't get a good coach at all. Nobody worth anything is going to apply for a job where the last guy just had the best record in over a quarter of a century and got let go.
Will you stop saying that. It's not only the best record in over a quarter of a century, it's the best record in school history.

Claymont started playing football in the 1965 season, they have played 53 seasons and 8-2 is the best record ever and they've only done that 4 times.

The 4 coaches tied with an 8-2 record...
1978 coach Jeff Gyurko
1992 coach Mel Peters
2011 coach Badre Bardawil
2017 coach Thom Lesiecki
Old 03-27-18, 06:26 PM
Varsity

knockout99 is on a distinguished road
Job is going to someone on the inside.
Old 03-27-18, 08:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout99 View Post
Job is going to someone on the inside.
Who? I can't think of anyone on the inside currently who is head coaching material.
Old 03-27-18, 08:59 PM
Freshman

COVER1 is on a distinguished road
Jon McCluskey
Old 03-27-18, 10:49 PM
All Region

DickShadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by COVER1 View Post
Jon McCluskey
What level does he coach at?
Old 03-27-18, 11:23 PM
All Ohio

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if I agree with that hire. Good person, solid coach, but no real success I've found unless I'm wrong. He was the defensive coordinator during Peterman's coaching years if I recall correctly.

Guess we'll see.
Old 03-28-18, 05:56 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOLace View Post
I'm not sure if I agree with that hire. Good person, solid coach, but no real success I've found unless I'm wrong. He was the defensive coordinator during Peterman's coaching years if I recall correctly.

Guess we'll see.
Good memory Ace.
I have every Claymont football program dating back to 1999 and this is what I found on Jon McClusky.
Jon is a graduate of Jewitt-Scio in 1997 and Bethany College in 2001. His first year coaching at Claymont was in 2003 under Sam Fornsaglio where he served as TE and OLB coach.
2004 under Chad Peterman he was Defensive Co. and LB coach.
2005 again under Peterman the Defensive Co, LB and QB coach.
2010 he was one of the 8th grade coaches.
2011 one of the Freshmen coaches.
2017 Asst. 7th grade coach.

If he coached at Claymont any other years, there's no mention of it in the programs.
Hate to mention this but Jon's first 3 years (2003-2005) as an Asst. coach was the worst 3 year stretch in team history going 3-27 over those years.
Did he coach at other schools?

Last edited by pigskin13; 03-28-18 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-28-18, 08:05 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskin13 View Post
Will you stop saying that. It's not only the best record in over a quarter of a century, it's the best record in school history.

Claymont started playing football in the 1965 season, they have played 53 seasons and 8-2 is the best record ever and they've only done that 4 times.

The 4 coaches tied with an 8-2 record...
1978 coach Jeff Gyurko
1992 coach Mel Peters
2011 coach Badre Bardawil
2017 coach Thom Lesiecki
Sorry, that's just how far back I can remember lol.
Old 03-28-18, 09:28 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOLace View Post

Guess we'll see.
Probably the only person from within the district to apply, canít open it up to outside applicants if a teacher from within wants the job, so no real coaching search
Old 03-28-18, 09:49 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by COVER1 View Post
Probably the only person from within the district to apply, canít open it up to outside applicants if a teacher from within wants the job, so no real coaching search
Is that really a rule?
If the Asst. 7th grade coach wants the varsity head coaching job, they're not allowed to look for a more qualified person?
Old 03-28-18, 10:32 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Is that really a rule?
If the Asst. 7th grade coach wants the varsity head coaching job, they're not allowed to look for a more qualified person?
I believe so
Old 03-28-18, 10:39 AM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
In most school districts ... the wording is all 'qualified' candidates must be given first consideration ... it is usually worded very vague to allow districts to go outside if they want ... I don't know Claymont's contract, so I can't be 100% sure.
Old 03-28-18, 10:59 AM
All Ohio

From Asst. 7th grade coach in 2017 to Varsity head coach in 2018.

I give up.
Old 03-28-18, 11:25 AM
Junior Varsity

OneBadOmbre is on a distinguished road
That's not true. And the master contract does not state that! They have to interview internal candidates first, then they can open it up. Hopefully all you 922ers can breathe a sigh of relief now.
Bardawill is not coaching anywhere... maybe he will come back. If people really knew the potential opportunity here, they'd jump on it.
Old 03-28-18, 11:34 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadOmbre View Post
That's not true. And the master contract does not state that! They have to interview internal candidates first, then they can open it up. Hopefully all you 922ers can breathe a sigh of relief now.
Bardawill is not coaching anywhere... maybe he will come back. If people really knew the potential opportunity here, they'd jump on it.
I hope you are right.
Bardawil would be my first choice.
Others on my wish list...
Chad Peterman (Claymont coach in 2004-2005 and long time Asst. at IV)
Zach Gardner (current West Holmes and former Sandy Valley coach)
Zac Golec (former Claymont Asst. & current Def. Co. at West Holmes)
Old 03-28-18, 11:34 AM
All Ohio

well OneBadOmbre - you entered the world of yappi with your first post stating if people really knew.....

please let us know, what is the potential opportunity there?
Old 03-28-18, 11:41 AM
All Region

DickShadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
From Asst. 7th grade coach in 2017 to Varsity head coach in 2018.

I give up.
Wait a minute, they are not seriously considering a junior high coach? or are they? If thats the case whats next, midget league defensive line coach named asst. head coach?
Old 03-28-18, 11:50 AM
Junior Varsity

You're right... I did. Claymont has a solid wrestling program. Wrestling translates well to football. That gives you all kinds of potential in the trenches. I think that the IVC is a great conference to be in and the Region is weaker than most once you make the playoffs. I am familiar with the area and I have coached against a couple times. Those kids are tough and they work hard. They just need the right leadership and a coach with a plan.
Old 03-28-18, 11:54 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
You're right... I did. Claymont has a solid wrestling program. Wrestling translates well to football. That gives you all kinds of potential in the trenches. I think that the IVC is a great conference to be in and the Region is weaker than most once you make the playoffs. I am familiar with the area and I have coached against a couple times. Those kids are tough and they work hard. They just need the right leadership and a coach with a plan.
I agree with what you say, but they would also need the BOE to stay out of the way as well as hate-filled, small minded parents with an axe to grind.
Old 03-28-18, 12:16 PM
All Ohio

Thank you for your response.

I like the community. I for one am hoping they get it going
Old 03-28-18, 02:07 PM
Varsity

Claymont has had this mentality since 1992 starting with Martini. Ever since there has been a carousel of coaches. When they hire outside, it is a stepping stone for someone. When they hire inside, the community doesnt accept their own too well so they usually get ran out.

I hope that changes. I wish they would look down the road at Indian Valley and see how an athletic department should be ran. Get a superintendent that will allow the AD to run the athletics and allow coaches to try and build. And get community support, if thats possible at Claymont. Hope it happens. A coach should be able to get a program running with the new league. When a set of classes are down, they can still be competitive. Problem is, if they hire outside and they have a good year, the coach will bolt.
Old 03-28-18, 04:22 PM
Junior Varsity

It speaks volumes to me that so many in here keep saying that a good coach won't stay... is that a community issue or a school administration issue? Why did Bardawill leave? Are they getting quality candidates applying for these jobs? Let me shoot straight... if another coach is reading these posts (and yes coaches, we all know you are reading these forums) they're going to think that this is a bad job. If I got this job, I'd feel like I hit the lottery and I'd never leave. WHY? Because I know the potential... administration needs to sell Claymont as a diamond in the rough and stop hiring internally.
Old 03-28-18, 04:54 PM
Freshman

LG2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It speaks volumes to me that so many in here keep saying that a good coach won't stay... is that a community issue or a school administration issue? Why did Bardawill leave? Are they getting quality candidates applying for these jobs? Let me shoot straight... if another coach is reading these posts (and yes coaches, we all know you are reading these forums) they're going to think that this is a bad job. If I got this job, I'd feel like I hit the lottery and I'd never leave. WHY? Because I know the potential... administration needs to sell Claymont as a diamond in the rough and stop hiring internally.
Agree... But the Lesicki guy had to go. If they wouldn't of moved to IVC last year and stayed in the ECOL they would of been a 500 team even with all the talent they had.
Old 03-28-18, 05:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Both Bardawil and Dennison left for more money, a lot more money.
Coach B still has a great relationship with Claymont. I've watched several interviews with Coach B since he left and he always has a good word for the Mustangs.
Chad Peterman was run out of town much like Lesiecki was. He was a young coach who went 0-10 his first year and improved to 2-8 in his second. Anybody who watched the team back then could see vast improvement in both the OFF and DEF that year. I would have loved to have seen him continue to grow as a coach but the BOE fired him and replaced him with Old Ed Henry. Claymont wasted another 4 years while Petermnan went to Indian Valley and is a big reason for the Braves building a solid program.
Old 03-28-18, 06:59 PM
Varsity

One

It is a bad job. That is a fact. It is a bad job because of the community(some not all) and the turnover of the Board. At one time there was a new volleyball coach 4 years straight because a board member, basketball has about a 4-5 year turnover because of parents, football has an average of a 3 year turnover because of board members and community members. The only coach that was given time was the wrestling coach who built a dynasty and they wanted to get rid of him at one time!! Unless the mentality of the community changes, it will stay the same.

Pig
You can forget about B coming back. He had a heck of an offense with a boat load of talent with one of the best QB's to come out of Claymont. He was 500 by the way. If you think for a minute that he was going to plant roots and stay in Dennison and Uhrichsville you are sadly mistaken. He did exactly what he came here to do. He had a buddy that was the principal that knew the talent was there and gave him the job, got his good year in and bolted to Massillon where the principal was from and by the way is the principal there now. When he went to St. Thomas he was average. But man was he an offensive mind!!!

Dennison was never going to stay either. He knew when to bolt. Had a great year and wham!!! Gone. He went where he knew he would have talent year in and year out and could be competitive. Plus he is a darn good coach. He has done an outstanding job at New Philadelphia.

The odds of a coach coming and planting roots in Claymont is slim. BUT, if the community would change and board members would be just board members and not micromanage everything, OneBad is correct, it is a diamond in the rough and can be a gold mine!!

Pig

Youre selling some of the hometown guys short. Just because they are from Claymont doesnt mean they are clueless. Those are the people that truly care about the kids from Claymont. Those are people that have bought homes in your community and have invested a ton of time and effort in those kids. Just because you may not like them or they didnt win as many games as you think they should have doesnt mean they arent good for the kids. You have a former baseball coach walking your halls that has more knowledge about baseball and truly cares for the kids and didnt get the support he needed. Every coach has done something good for those kids that we dont usually see. The Henry coach that you cut on has went back to that school several times because he cares about Claymont. He has done a lot for the kids personally. But because he didnt reach your standards, it was a waste of 4 years. And Im pretty sure he went back there last year to coach again! Peterman is another casualty of the Claymont Board. He was way too young to have that job when they put him in that position. Him getting fired was the best thing to happen to him. He went to IV where they are stable and contributed to their program. If not he would have stuck around at Claymont and had to have coached with about 10 other head coaches at Claymont and would have been labeled an insider and would be one of the exact coaches that you and everyone else doesnt want. So Chad had a blessing in disguise. My guess is too that the basketball coach will get the can soon as well cause, well, hes from there so he cant know anything about sports and he hasnt won enough. What year is he on? Third year probably so its time for him to go and hire outside.

I am all for hiring outside if there isnt anyone qualified within. I just feel that if you hire one of your own, give them a chance. It is true that trying to be a coach at your home school is difficult, and Claymont proves that point. I just think the Claymont community is a big part of the problem. If that would change, man what a job to have!!
Old 03-28-18, 08:35 PM
Junior Varsity

It's becoming more clear now... if outside hires are not staying, it has to be harder for an administration to keep going back to the well. But, if there's no one inside, their hands are tied. They have a tough job to do, especially if the BOE is fickle. Still, I think there has to be someone who is a right fit. Even in an era of job hoppers, there are still a few men in the football coaching fraternity who would take that job and stay there for many years if they weren't given the boot. Keep your hopes up 922ers.

For those interested, my understanding is that internal candidates get the first shot. Inside candidates have to apply within a 5-10 work day window. After that the Superintendent can request the formation of a search committee. Very short window right now. Not sure if they'll have a new coach in until May if they go through the full process.
Old 03-28-18, 10:48 PM
All Ohio

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG2003 View Post
Agree... But the Lesicki guy had to go. If they wouldn't of moved to IVC last year and stayed in the ECOL they would of been a 500 team even with all the talent they had.
Thatís not true at all. Claymont would have easily won the ECOL small school division and assuming they kept their same schedule, they would have had the same record (8-2 with loss to IV and NP).
Old 03-29-18, 06:08 AM
Junior Varsity

Circle K is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I hope you are right.
Bardawil would be my first choice.
Others on my wish list...
Chad Peterman (Claymont coach in 2004-2005 and long time Asst. at IV)
Zach Gardner (current West Holmes and former Sandy Valley coach)
Zac Golec (former Claymont Asst. & current Def. Co. at West Holmes)
What about Chris Cabot? (current OC at Ridgewood) I don't know if he would leave but he is definitely HC material. Been under the radar in Slusher's shadow for a while.

I bet he could get some of that staff to come with him if he was to take that job.