Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-09-18, 07:31 PM
Varsity

itzme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballfan10 View Post
Who did they hire as their basketball coach?
Dave Albert

http://www.starbeacon.com/sports/loc...918a7532f.html
Old 05-14-18, 06:34 PM
All District

Fballfan10 is on a distinguished road
Still no official hiring of a head football coach?! WTH IS GOING ON?!
Old 05-16-18, 06:55 PM
All World

Raider#23 is on a distinguished road
Ed Rankin was hired as the new head coach. Former assistant coach at Lisbon David Anderson and South Range. Good guy....wish him the best.
Old 05-16-18, 09:14 PM
All World

http://www.wkbn.com/sports/local-foo...son/1183887720
Old 05-17-18, 05:53 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
He is going to run the triple option, good luck.
Old 05-17-18, 07:49 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
It's May 17th

"Rankin will bring with him the triple option that he ran for the Blue Devils of Lisbon"

"The issue and challenge we are going to have is needing to develop linemen. We don’t have many linemen or big linemen, and we don’t have experienced linemen coming back.”

Good luck installing a triple option offense in 3 months with very few linemen. Buckle up kids.
Old 05-17-18, 09:01 AM
All Ohio

bop is on a distinguished road
Give the man some time for crying out loud. He just got brought on. Sounds to me like a good offense for a rural school to run in a very competitive league. Regardless, he should not be judged on this years record. Winning one game would be success this season as late as it is.
Old 05-17-18, 09:10 AM
All District

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
It's May 17th

"Rankin will bring with him the triple option that he ran for the Blue Devils of Lisbon"

"The issue and challenge we are going to have is needing to develop linemen. We donít have many linemen or big linemen, and we donít have experienced linemen coming back.Ē

Good luck installing a triple option offense in 3 months with very few linemen. Buckle up kids.
Its pessimists like you that don't allow a system to flourish because you've talked the kids and the community out of it before it even happens. I've heard nothing but great things about this guy and I live in a rival community. Lisbon went to 3 straight playoff appearance with it, give it a chance.
Old 05-17-18, 09:12 AM
All District

I hope he is very successful. He was put in a tough situation getting hired so late. Not necessarily his fault.
Old 05-17-18, 01:18 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Before you laugh off the triple option, keep in mind it can be effectively run with smaller OL. It depends on your skill people. The service academies drive much bigger teams silly running it. I ran it for a few years and had good success beating bigger teams. He will need good luck as the talent there is down. A good QB who is quick and can handle the ball makes them a problem to deal with.
Old 05-17-18, 05:23 PM
All World

Exactly Paladin, he knows he can't compete toe-to-toe with the Poland's, Struthers, etc. that they will face in the AAC. Using the triple option and it's misdirection, allows the returning skill players that he has to get a step on the defense. Having watched him use it at South Range and Lisbon, Jefferson will be fine. Will they win 10 games? No, but they will be competitive and possibly get back to the .500 mark if they get a few breaks.
Old 05-17-18, 06:40 PM
Varsity

therock02 is on a distinguished road
I knew it would be someone other the candidates mentioned by the yappi elite....let me make another call...Jefferson never plays a game in NE8 conference.
Old 05-17-18, 08:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider#23 View Post
Exactly Paladin, he knows he can't compete toe-to-toe with the Poland's, Struthers, etc. that they will face in the AAC. Using the triple option and it's misdirection, allows the returning skill players that he has to get a step on the defense. Having watched him use it at South Range and Lisbon, Jefferson will be fine. Will they win 10 games? No, but they will be competitive and possibly get back to the .500 mark if they get a few breaks.
Donít see it honestly. The triple option is an offense that requires some skill. Sure the linemen can be small but they will still need to be tough kids. Jefferson lacks skill and toughness. A few years ago Jefferson went 7-3 and I believe they got thumped by every good team they played as they played many smaller schools that season.

Beautiful stadium, I was impressed with their turf. Guy has his work cut out for him.

I also agree Jefferson nails on the Ne8 and follows Edgewood. Would be the smart play for them.
Old 05-17-18, 09:12 PM
Freshman

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock02 View Post
I knew it would be someone other the candidates mentioned by the yappi elite....let me make another call...Jefferson never plays a game in NE8 conference.

Too funny and true. Craemer and Gresko? C'mon. Those were never going to happen.

Good luck to Coach Rankin!
Old 05-20-18, 09:23 PM
All District

Gresko and Craemer were probably smart enough to drop out when they didnít hire someone until almost June..

The triple option will never work at Jefferson.. not enough skill there. The triple option still needs to have tough linemen and great skill. Especially when they play teams like Poland that will put points up. Running the triple option wonít help when youíre playing from behind
Old 05-21-18, 05:57 AM
Freshman

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
Neither guy was considered. Also, Craemer had taken his last job late. I was told the other guy doesn't have a degree and has no head coaching experience at all. Not what you would call an ideal candidate.

Good luck to the new coach. Let's see what he can do.
Old 05-21-18, 07:27 AM
All District

Quote:
Gresko and Craemer were probably smart enough to drop out when they didnít hire someone until almost June..
Just give it up already man
Old 05-21-18, 08:50 AM
All District

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The triple option will never work at Jefferson.. not enough skill there. The triple option still needs to have tough linemen and great skill. Especially when they play teams like Poland that will put points up. Running the triple option wonít help when youíre playing from behind
Ball control keeps teams like Poland from scoring a ton. Hard to score when the other team's time of possession doubles yours. I love all the negativity already, and the poor guy hasn't even started yet.

Why anyone would coach high school football is beyond me, you people suck!
Old 05-21-18, 01:56 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinahoodie View Post
Ball control keeps teams like Poland from scoring a ton. Hard to score when the other team's time of possession doubles yours. I love all the negativity already, and the poor guy hasn't even started yet.

Anyone who's worth their weight as a high school football coach isn't reading these forums anyways (if they're smart)
Old 05-21-18, 02:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinahoodie View Post

Yeah the wishbone doesnít work at Edgewood, Triple option wonít work in Jefferson. Other poster said it best not enough skill.
Old 05-21-18, 02:34 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Got to tell you, I disagree with both of you, the triple option is a very good offense for smaller teams lacking in great skill. The key is to put your toughest skill kid at fullback, he needs to be a 3-4 yard back running forward. Put your best overall athlete at QB and let him go. I've seen tailbacks turned into QBs many times with this offense. Slotbacks don't have to be burners necessarily. Line has to block but using angled and double teams at point of attack works. Most challenging part of this offense is the dive read. Tell QB he's never wrong of he gives. Get this down and it can be a frustrating offense to deal with defensively. I've seen Alter, Coleraine and Cuyahoga Hts frustrate defenses for years with this offense.
Old 05-21-18, 08:54 PM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
To run the option you need 3 very capable backs with a very good and unified line, I don’t like Jefferson has any of that, 3 and outs can lead to big blowouts
Old 05-21-18, 09:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Got to tell you, I disagree with both of you, the triple option is a very good offense for smaller teams lacking in great skill. The key is to put your toughest skill kid at fullback, he needs to be a 3-4 yard back running forward. Put your best overall athlete at QB and let him go. I've seen tailbacks turned into QBs many times with this offense. Slotbacks don't have to be burners necessarily. Line has to block but using angled and double teams at point of attack works. Most challenging part of this offense is the dive read. Tell QB he's never wrong of he gives. Get this down and it can be a frustrating offense to deal with defensively. I've seen Alter, Coleraine and Cuyahoga Hts frustrate defenses for years with this offense.
So youíve seen 3 teams with a lot of talent run the triple option. This is Jefferson weíre talking about. They will finish 1-9 tops.
Old 05-22-18, 09:53 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
So you’ve seen 3 teams with a lot of talent run the triple option. This is Jefferson we’re talking about. They will finish 1-9 tops.
Colerain always has lots of skill and talent, Alter running the triple out of Wishbone maximizes talent for a mid sized school, Cuy. Hts small school that doesn't regularly have great skill but is well coached. There are many other examples of teams that run the triple in recent years with success, S. Range is another good example as was Centerville and recently Fairmont. If not the spread, they ran last year and not the triple then what??pro style? Need a QB and two backs for that, Wing T? Would be good too, angle blocking and misdirection. If coached well the triple is very difficult to defend. If you're not careful you end up on the short side of a possession battle.
Old 05-24-18, 01:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Colerain always has lots of skill and talent, Alter running the triple out of Wishbone maximizes talent for a mid sized school, Cuy. Hts small school that doesn't regularly have great skill but is well coached. There are many other examples of teams that run the triple in recent years with success, S. Range is another good example as was Centerville and recently Fairmont. If not the spread, they ran last year and not the triple then what??pro style? Need a QB and two backs for that, Wing T? Would be good too, angle blocking and misdirection. If coached well the triple is very difficult to defend. If you're not careful you end up on the short side of a possession battle.

The triple option doesnít get kids wanting to
Come out and play football...
Old 05-24-18, 03:07 PM
All Ohio

So you're saying ball control running game bores kids and is ineffective right? Pick Central, Hilliard Davidson, Mogadore, Kirtland, Fairmont, Alter kids might all disagree with that statement, all have strong roster numbers. When you have success like these programs, there is a definite buy in. Plus you can always sell the kids on toughness. Kids want to be successful and if ground control works they'll do it. Also when you don't see an offense very regularly it is tough to prepare for.