Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-17, 07:58 AM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,711
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Crosstown Showdown Leaving Nippert?

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-scho...sed-ncaa-rules
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-19-17, 10:19 AM
WestSideBomber WestSideBomber is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-16-05
Location: KCK
Posts: 4,712
WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
Ridiculous. The NCAA is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-17, 10:46 AM
Vinegar Vinegar is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-02-17
Posts: 169
Vinegar is on a distinguished road
"Anonymous Sources When Vital To The Public"

Pretty hilarious statement!

Like some football games moving from Nippert has to be announced on Thursday instead of Monday. Whew! As the public, I am so happy for the heads up!

I think Gamble's crew has earned the right to talk to all parties involved and release a new schedule with all of the details worked out.

Oh yeah....if you want to release anonymous info, why not release it all....like, for instance, that the NCAA rule changed in 2012!!!! Whoops!

And by the way....the NCAA is ridiculous!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-17, 10:48 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,484
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Interesting. What about Ursuline and Mooney who play regular season home games at YSU? Ursuline hosts Benedictine on 8/25 at Stambaugh, will they have to potentially move this game too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-17, 11:25 AM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,413
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Interesting. What about Ursuline and Mooney who play regular season home games at YSU? Ursuline hosts Benedictine on 8/25 at Stambaugh, will they have to potentially move this game too.
The rule seems pretty clear. Colleges cannot host HS regular season games in August.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-17, 11:56 AM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,339
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Western Kentucky hosts a double header. Michigan stadium is hosting six games. Wayne State is hosting six.

I'm not sure why this should be an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-17, 12:01 PM
Rabbit Rabbit is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-23-03
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,951
Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Western Kentucky hosts a double header. Michigan stadium is hosting six games. Wayne State is hosting six.

I'm not sure why this should be an issue.
Could Urban be rocking this boat due to Mr. Fickell and the recruiting success he is having in Ohio?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-17, 12:12 PM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,711
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Western Kentucky hosts a double header. Michigan stadium is hosting six games. Wayne State is hosting six.

I'm not sure why this should be an issue.
WCPO.com has updated their article with a quote from UC's SID Ryan Koslen. Mr. Koslen mentioned that part of the issue with the Crosstown Showdown is the fact that it's an event organized by a third party promoter.

Quote:
"The second issue is the third-party promoter. If it was two schools playing a game on their own and it wasn't in August, then it would be allowed."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-19-17, 12:33 PM
PGEMF PGEMF is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-20-03
Posts: 904
PGEMF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Could Urban be rocking this boat due to Mr. Fickell and the recruiting success he is having in Ohio?
Because an early December NCAA signing period was added, August is now considered a recruiting "dead period," meaning college coaches cannot have face-to-face contact with a high school student-athlete, nor may college coaches visit high schools, according to the NCAA.

University of Cincinnati is aware of the issue posed by the revised rules, according to UC sports information director Ryan Koslen.

"With the recent change in football recruiting calendar, August is now a dead period. That means no events can be hosted on campus," Koslen said. "The second issue is the third-party promoter. If it was two schools playing a game on their own and it wasn't in August, then it would be allowed."


Yes, Urban went and got an entire rule changed impacting recruiting for the NCAA because of players signing at UC, while not focusing on that he currently has 8 Top 100 commitments for 2018
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-19-17, 12:35 PM
Rabbit Rabbit is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-23-03
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,951
Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGEMF View Post
Because an early December NCAA signing period was added, August is now considered a recruiting "dead period," meaning college coaches cannot have face-to-face contact with a high school student-athlete, nor may college coaches visit high schools, according to the NCAA.

University of Cincinnati is aware of the issue posed by the revised rules, according to UC sports information director Ryan Koslen.

"With the recent change in football recruiting calendar, August is now a dead period. That means no events can be hosted on campus," Koslen said. "The second issue is the third-party promoter. If it was two schools playing a game on their own and it wasn't in August, then it would be allowed."


Yes, Urban went and got an entire rule changed impacting recruiting for the NCAA because of players signing at UC, while not focusing on that he currently has 8 Top 100 commitments for 2018
Wow, didn't realize Urban had that kind of juice. Impressive.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-19-17, 12:44 PM
SLAGuy SLAGuy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-11-17
Posts: 654
SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
So state funded schools can't offer their stadiums to other state funded schools because the NCAA makes some stupid rule? These huge stadiums built on the backs of non-paid entertainers should be available anytime anyone wants to use them as long as they can pay the rental fee. Just tell the millionaire college coaches to stay away during the games.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-17, 01:37 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,339
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Well, the Rafferty's Bowl in KY has been played at WKU for years now. I'm not sure who is the one in charge of scheduling (most KY bowls are ran by one of the schools hosting it, but they're usually at a HS venue).

This is just an incredibly dumb rule. So don't let the college coaches and scouts attend the games. Easy. Solved it all in three seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-17, 01:41 PM
Elder4Life Elder4Life is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-15-15
Location: The Westside
Posts: 272
Elder4Life is on a distinguished road
So will games just be played at one of the high schools of the teams playing or will it still be a neutral site?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-17, 02:41 PM
WestSideBomber WestSideBomber is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-16-05
Location: KCK
Posts: 4,712
WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Well, the Rafferty's Bowl in KY has been played at WKU for years now. I'm not sure who is the one in charge of scheduling (most KY bowls are ran by one of the schools hosting it, but they're usually at a HS venue).

This is just an incredibly dumb rule. So don't let the college coaches and scouts attend the games. Easy. Solved it all in three seconds.
Exactly.

I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-17, 03:19 PM
Kballer Kballer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 2,118
Kballer is on a distinguished road
TO be clear, this is because of revised rules to the August "dead" period due to the early December signing date that was added this year. This only affects games played in August OR games that are "promoted" by a 3rd party (as compared to a game where two schools play each other as a regular game).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-19-17, 03:36 PM
LEONARD LEONARD is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-23-07
Location: Whiteys golf cart
Posts: 697
LEONARD is on a distinguished road
this is just UC covering their butt
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-19-17, 04:36 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 4,339
Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
TO be clear, this is because of revised rules to the August "dead" period due to the early December signing date that was added this year. This only affects games played in August OR games that are "promoted" by a 3rd party (as compared to a game where two schools play each other as a regular game).
And both of those points are incredibly idiotic.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-17, 06:02 PM
BigSack BigSack is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-30-02
Posts: 1,761
BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
what about schools like Alliance, who use Mount Union Stadium for their home games?

Is an August home game for Alliance at Mount Union a NCAA violation?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-19-17, 06:19 PM
Vincent and Regina Vincent and Regina is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-13-08
Posts: 2,147
Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Interesting. What about Ursuline and Mooney who play regular season home games at YSU? Ursuline hosts Benedictine on 8/25 at Stambaugh, will they have to potentially move this game too.
From what I read it only effects D1 Bowl Subdivision schools that are put together by a 3rd party. So If the schools organized it themselves or playing in any other month than August they are fine.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-19-17, 06:22 PM
Vincent and Regina Vincent and Regina is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-13-08
Posts: 2,147
Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder4Life View Post
So will games just be played at one of the high schools of the teams playing or will it still be a neutral site?
I guess it will depend on the schools. MSJ could host a game. Now their stadium isn't big enough for A GCL vs GMC game, but I could see it hosting Walnut Hills vs Lakota East and Oak Hills vs Milford at MSJ.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-19-17, 06:30 PM
Vinegar Vinegar is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-02-17
Posts: 169
Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Like Doc putting some pressure on the Bengals. Stadium sitting empty those 2 days....and they want to squabble over Skyline Chili. Help the kids out! And let the event be the event!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-19-17, 08:29 PM
Vincent and Regina Vincent and Regina is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-13-08
Posts: 2,147
Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Looks like Colerain and LaSalle did the smart easy thing. http://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-scho...series-in-2018
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-19-17, 08:30 PM
Vincent and Regina Vincent and Regina is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-13-08
Posts: 2,147
Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Does the No Nippert thing kill the Showdown? I think it does.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-19-17, 08:40 PM
PantherVOR's Avatar
PantherVOR PantherVOR is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-03
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 10,233
PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
Like Doc putting some pressure on the Bengals. Stadium sitting empty those 2 days....and they want to squabble over Skyline Chili. Help the kids out! And let the event be the event!
PBS is too big for high school football.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-19-17, 08:49 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,945
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
This is just nonsense. The NCAA just can't seem to get out of its own way. It looks like the people who are deemed to silly to work for OHSAA are hired by the NCAA!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-19-17, 09:41 PM
ReLoad ReLoad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-23-09
Posts: 5,169
ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
Does the No Nippert thing kill the Showdown? I think it does.
Yes, this, the 20th year for the Showdown, is the final year.
Gamble may include that in Monday's announcement
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-19-17, 10:25 PM
Raider6309 Raider6309 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-12-15
Location: Athens
Posts: 1,979
Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Interesting. What about Ursuline and Mooney who play regular season home games at YSU? Ursuline hosts Benedictine on 8/25 at Stambaugh, will they have to potentially move this game too.
Athens can play at Ohio University whenever it wants. I've never heard of this. Usually it's money related. You don't make any money playing at the college. I'll have to ask my OU/Ohsaa neighbor
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-20-17, 04:54 AM
Vincent and Regina Vincent and Regina is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-13-08
Posts: 2,147
Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Athens can play at Ohio University whenever it wants. I've never heard of this. Usually it's money related. You don't make any money playing at the college. I'll have to ask my OU/Ohsaa neighbor
If Athens schedules the game with random other team then yes they could play at OU. The problem with the showdown is that at 3rd Party scheduled the games and the games would be in August. If the games were in week 2, and the month of September this would have been fine too.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-20-17, 07:14 AM
WestSideBomber WestSideBomber is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-16-05
Location: KCK
Posts: 4,712
WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
If Athens schedules the game with random other team then yes they could play at OU. The problem with the showdown is that at 3rd Party scheduled the games and the games would be in August. If the games were in week 2, and the month of September this would have been fine too.
Not if it was a Week 1 game in August though because THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

This whole thing seems (to me at least) to be another instance of the NCAA trying to be all about the "student athlete" while completely and utterly missing the point.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-20-17, 08:51 AM
L Hand L Hand is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-13-05
Posts: 3,204
L Hand is on a distinguished road
So X v Hinsdale is going to be at X now, right? Any reason why it wouldn't be?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz